Quantcast Theme Park Entrance Security

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Theme Park Entrance Security

Our last visit in 2014 park security was just a look in any bags we had with us. I know security has changed to something more like an airport but can anyone explain what it is? Do you have to empty bags like at the airport? Also my husband's medication includes controlled drugs, do we need to keep it in original pharmacy boxes, bring a Dr letter like we do when arriving at the airport? Or can he just keep it in his daily pill dispenser box he usually carries with him?
    Thanks everyone in advance
    POFQ Sept 2012
    POFQ Oct 2014 Hubby's 50th Birthday!
    Wilderness Lodge Nov 2018 My 47th Birthday!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

They’re just looking but more aggressively than in 2014. Every zipper must be opened and if you have a glass case, cosmetic bag, etc inside your purse/backpack that will need to come out and be opened.

Post Thanks / Like

I bring my meds in a discreet bottle, no issues. BUt, FYI, controlled drugs, by law, are always supposed to be in their original bottles. Especially narcotics or c2's.

If you are talking liquid meds. I have no input. Haven't tried.

But, everyone goes through medal detectors now. So that's a bigger thing.
    ===================

2016 POR
    2015 CS
    2014 WDW-Offsite
    2014 Disneyland-offsite
    2014 CBR
    2013 Dolphin
    2012 POR
    2012 WDW-Offsite
    2011 ASMusic, POR

1998 Dixie Landings
    1990's, Dixie Landings, Misc Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by texas211 View Post

But, everyone goes through medal detectors now. So that's a bigger thing.
    When we walked from the Contemporary to MK everyone went through the metal detector, everywhere else only random guests had to.
    Dave aka: Altair
    "Even though they're graceful when swimmin', it's hard to believe sailors thought they were women" - Manatee area, the Living Seas

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Altair View Post
    When we walked from the Contemporary to MK everyone went through the metal detector, everywhere else only random guests had to.
    On my after-Thanksgiving trip, everyone HAD to go through the metal detectors, whether they had bags checked or not. It was a very minor inconvenience and did not take long.
    -Bud

Walt Disney World:
    9/03 - CBR
    1/09 - BWV
    9/05; 2/07; 12/07; 9/08; 9/09; 9/10; 9/11; 12/13; 12/17; 4/18; 10/18, 4/23 - PC
    5/15 - POR
    1/22 - ASMO
    10/22 - ASMU

Disneyland: 12/15 - Paradise Pier Hotel

Next up: ???

Post Thanks / Like

We just got home from DW last night. Security asks you to open every zipped pocket of your bag. They also opened my sunglass case. There was no questioning or concern about my meds which were in a small tupperware container. The last few days of our trip they were making everyone go through the metal detectors. It was no big deal and the line moved very quickly we spent about 5 minutes with security

Post Thanks / Like

I highly recommend clear or mesh see-through bags for the smaller items in your handbag or backpack. It makes things so much easier at security, as you don't have to open them. My clear plastic cosmetic bag also has the advantage of keeping things super dry in the inevitable Florida rainstorms - that way if the rain gets through my purse, what's inside still stays dry.
    DVC Member
    Boston, MA and Celebration, FL

9. Likes luvdiznee, VWL Mom liked this post
    Dislikes Jayhorn disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Just went over Thanksgiving. From my experience they are only looking for things that guest are banned from bring into the park (weapons, alcohol, etc.). Also what I saw was that the metal detectors were mandatory for guest without bags, but random for guest with bags.

Actually, I had heard the guest without bags line was going away and was surprised to see they still had it. Not as fast as it used to be though, because I had to empty my pockets and go through the metal detector.

Lastly as far as medicines go, my wife had a ziploc baggie with a pharmacies worth of over the counter pain meds (Aspirin, Ibuprofen, Tylenol, and children's Tylenol; because no one in my family uses the same one), allergy meds, and some meds that she is supposed to take with dinner. Every security guard saw the bag and did not question it.
    "Welcome, Foolish Mortals..."

11. Likes PopPhan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

They create a bigger danger. Rather than having hundreds of people SPREAD out in the park at a given point/time, they create a choke point of hundreds of people PACKED tightly in a confined space.

Someone with ill intent need only to attack the screening point with the packed crowd waiting in line. Hundreds upon hundreds of sitting ducks with nowhere to escape. And remember, when approaching this pack, no one has been screened.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RunDMV View Post
    They create a bigger danger. Rather than having hundreds of people SPREAD out in the park at a given point/time, they create a choke point of hundreds of people PACKED tightly in a confined space.

Someone with ill intent need only to attack the screening point with the packed crowd waiting in line. Hundreds upon hundreds of sitting ducks with nowhere to escape. And remember, when approaching this pack, no one has been screened.
    My husband and I discussed this our last trip. He's law enforcement so he's always interested in how they are running their security. Unfortunately its unavoidable. With any security screen you'll have a choke point. The only difference is where that bottleneck occurs.

For what its worth this is not a problem unique to disney, its a security concern anywhere you have to have a hard security stop.
    "One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation, right at the start of everything thats new, one little spark lights up for you!"

șoș

Mom to our little Prince Everett and Princess Adelaide
    August 2020 Caribbean Beach!
    Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate.

14. Likes PopPhan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dulcee View Post
    My husband and I discussed this our last trip. He's law enforcement so he's always interested in how they are running their security. Unfortunately its unavoidable. With any security screen you'll have a choke point. The only difference is where that bottleneck occurs.

For what its worth this is not a problem unique to disney, its a security concern anywhere you have to have a hard security stop.
    I am painfully aware of choke points as I have been in LE for over two and a half decades (and currently serve as a police chief).

Choke points at the airport make sense - disaster on the crowded ground is preferable to disaster in the sky.

When creating choke points, you can make them more danderous than the alternative.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RunDMV View Post
    When creating choke points, you can make them more danderous than the alternative.
    Then all the more reason for them to keep allowing the little bottles of head and shoulders.
    ===================

2016 POR
    2015 CS
    2014 WDW-Offsite
    2014 Disneyland-offsite
    2014 CBR
    2013 Dolphin
    2012 POR
    2012 WDW-Offsite
    2011 ASMusic, POR

1998 Dixie Landings
    1990's, Dixie Landings, Misc Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

Just returned from Disney. Security has changed a bit. Depending on where you enter the system, you will meet security at different points. In fact, these changes have spread out the security checkpoints quite differently than they were originally. For example, if you arrive via monorail to the Magic Kingdom, you will go through security at the point you enter the monorail car. If you walk from the Contemporary to the Magic Kingdom, you will go through security along the sidewalk before you arrive in front of the Magic Kingdom. And, if you arrive via the Transportation and Ticket Center, you will go through security before you board the ferry or monorail. It is more difficult to spread out the security checkpoints for the other parks. Some folks are randomly selected to go through metal detectors on most days. On some days, and at some checkpoints, everyone is sent through a metal detector.

But, back to the original question...I carried prescription medication into the parks every day. None, though, were narcotic in nature. No-one ever examined the medications in any dedicated way. The focus appeared to be on detecting items that are forbidden to be carried into the parks rather than for any other purpose.
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone. That will help with packing our "park bags". Hubby says he'll take controlled meds in their original boxes to parks to start with and see how we go.
    POFQ Sept 2012
    POFQ Oct 2014 Hubby's 50th Birthday!
    Wilderness Lodge Nov 2018 My 47th Birthday!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by texas211 View Post
    Then all the more reason for them to keep allowing the little bottles of head and shoulders.
    Ok. That was funny.

20. Likes texas211 liked this post

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: