Quantcast Animal Kingdom

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Thread: Animal Kingdom

Post Thanks / Like

Default Animal Kingdom

Spent a lovely, relaxed day at Animal Kingdom. Weather was good - not too cold and not too hot. There were a lot of folks in the park but we were not bothered by the crowds.

When we arrived, we went directly to Rain Forest Cafe. The wait for a table would have been at least half an hour but we were able to seat ourselves in the bar area immediately. We had a nice breakfast (except for the bacon which I did not like at all) and entered the park through the Rain Forest entrance.

We never entered the Pandora area of the park on this day. No fast passes were available and, when breakfast was complete (about 15 minutes or so after park opening, the River Ride was listed as an 80 minute standby while the Flight of Passage was listed as having a 210 minute standby wait)!!!!

I had not been able to get a fast pass for the Safari ride so we went directly there. Although my phone listed standby at 15 minutes, the sign said 25 by the time we arrived. It was closer to 30 minutes before we boarded the ride but the time waiting passed pleasantly enough. The ride was quite good with animals being quite active. We did have to stop and wait for a little bit while a giraffe blocked the road a couple of trucks ahead of us.

We thought about going to see Lion King but the show was just about to start as left the safari ride and no fast passes were available so we headed to the Gorilla Falls Exploration Trail instead. We had a pleasant walk through the area and, when we exited, decided to go to Rafiki's Planet Watch where we had not been in a while.

There were not many folks on the train ride we took over. We wandered through the Conservation Station, stopping for a while to observe the team working on a Komodo Dragon who had been struggling with a hip infection. We went into the sound booth to hear the sounds of the jungle and even had a pics taken with Rafiki since there was virtually no line. We did not enter the petting area and were quickly able to get a train ride back.

Upon our return to Africa, we decided to get drinks from Dawa's Bar. Things have changed in this area. The bar area is now separated from the waiting/check-in area for the restaurant and all the tables with chairs are reserved for those waiting for meals. They have placed some stand-at tables in front of the bar area. With our drinks in hand, we crossed over to the other side of the road and found a place to sit at a table with chairs.

We headed over to Asia crossing by Flights in Wonder but didn't stop as the show was already in progress. I doubt we will get to see this again before it closes. While we didn't go on Kali River Rapids, we did spend a little bit of time on the bridge watching the wet passengers return from their trip through the rapids. We continued on to the Maharajah Jungle Trek where we were able to see the new tiger cubs which have only been on public view for a few days now. They certainly are cute!!

We were getting hungry. I tried making reservations for Tiffin's but it wouldn't go through. At the restaurant, we were told the wait would be an hour. I was able to walk a short distance away and make a reservation for 20 minutes from the time we arrived. In total, we waited about 40 minutes for our table. The restaurant was not at all crowded so I'm guessing the wait times were prompted more by low staffing levels rather than lack of tables. We ordered the luncheon portion of swordfish which looked a bit scanty when it arrived but was very good and filling enough. We did manage to have room for dessert - cheesecake for my spouse and mousse for me - quite yummy. I still find this one of the quietest restaurants on Disney property which makes dining here quite a delight.

With our meal completed, we decided to end our day and headed for the trams and the ride home.
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

2. Likes PopPhan liked this post
  3.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I have to say that I am rather enjoying the fact that we are getting more Faline reports, now that you are in Florida. If I'm reading this correctly, we were in Epcot this same afternoon and evening. We must meet up again one day soon!
    Heather

YC-7/99,00,8/07
    BC-8/01
    Poly-8/02,03,7/05

POR-12/03,9/11
    WL-7/04
    POFQ-12/04,8/06
    Pop-10/05,5/07,12/08,8/09,1/11,3/13
    CBR-11/07,09,10/11,5/12
    ASMo-1/09
    ASSp-1/10,8/12

Offsite-8/08,5/09