Quantcast The Good 'ole days of Disney Planning

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Red face The Good 'ole days of Disney Planning

Sitting down tonight doing a little Disney planning and can't help but remember the days when I would research the best way to attack the park, agonize over where we would eat, and be really anxious over my resort selection.

In some ways now it is easier - we know what resorts we like and which we don't. We have a few favorite restaurants and add in a new one each trip. Now it is more about fastpass fastpass fastpass. I feel like securing the right fastpass is as competitive as scoring breakfast at Cinderella's castle use to be.

While change is constant at Disney - what has changed for you and your family in regards to planning and what do you miss?

I also remember being on intercot daily. My day wasn't done until I had read all the threads. I need to be here more often.
    "They punch a hole in the sky with FIRE and MATH!" - Gary podcast #19

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, now I get up at 2 am for fastpasses. I have to plan details of each day, months in advance. Then if weather or something else needs to alter my plan, I'm bent out of shape during my visit. Creates more anxiety for me.

Being a veteran, yeah, you know where you want to eat,, what you want to see for sure. Don't have to fall for rookie mistakes.
    ===================

2016 POR
    2015 CS
    2014 WDW-Offsite
    2014 Disneyland-offsite
    2014 CBR
    2013 Dolphin
    2012 POR
    2012 WDW-Offsite
    2011 ASMusic, POR

1998 Dixie Landings
    1990's, Dixie Landings, Misc Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

Some of it is that FP+ changed things in the planning area, but also we have been around. We know our Disney pretty well. There's more room for spontaneity as you go more often. You know what you can get away with not planning in advance. It's not as crucial to do certain things/attractions/restaurants after your first few visits. Pretty much the only thing I plan now is the FP selection, and it's really not that taxing since I know my family and our priorities, and the timing needed to get what we want.

But I do miss being here more often, too. I used to be posting and checking posts here all the time and now I'm just an occasional pop-in. And I missed the ICOT 20 and seeing people.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

I spend more time planning and scheduling than before. Our days are not all planned out. It's just there needs to be some fore thought, if the group is more than 2. I actually enjoy the planning and have to keep myself from making too many reservations. And I keep a map of the specific park nearby, so the FP+ and the meals don't result in us running back and forth. But we also have been there so often that we don't feel pressured to do or see it all. There's always the next time.
    Life is always better when you mix in a little MOUSE
    1981 1986 1990 2000 2003 off site
    1994 1998 All Star Music,
    2002 All Star Movies,
    2004 2005x2 2012 2013 2019 POR
    2007 2012 2014 2016 2019 Pop
    2008 ASMu Suites
    2014 2017 CBR
    2015 AoA Cars
    2017 AKLx2
    2018 Grand Canyon

Post Thanks / Like

My wife is a true Disney Planner. We honestly plan, when possible, trips 12 months or so in advance. That allows us to hopefully make DVC room reservations at 11 months, ADPs at 6 months, and FP at 2 months. It's total craziness - dates marked on the fridge so we don't miss important reservations. That being said, once all that is DONE, I think it might actually make the trips a bit more relaxing once we get there. Even if we want to switch and make changes while there, it's not that stressful.

I will admit, though - sometimes I feel we need a vacation to get away from all this planning!!

How many of you remember when making a dining reservation involved being at EPCOT at rope drop, and rushing to those "high-tech" video screens they had to make a restaurant reservation for that day? Now THAT was stressful, because I was the early-riser of the family!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ThanxForNoticin View Post
    How many of you remember when making a dining reservation involved being at EPCOT at rope drop, and rushing to those "high-tech" video screens they had to make a restaurant reservation for that day? Now THAT was stressful, because I was the early-riser of the family!!
    My sister and I still talk about this fondly from our childhood trips!
    "One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation, right at the start of everything thats new, one little spark lights up for you!"

șoș

Mom to our little Prince Everett and Princess Adelaide
    August 2020 Caribbean Beach!
    Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: