Quantcast After Irma

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Thread: After Irma

Post Thanks / Like

Default After Irma

Irma made her way through WDW last night, but still getting some high wind gusts at this time. It got pretty intense around 2am, When it hit here, at peak, the Sustained winds were around 75 - 80mph according to the reports we were watching. Looking outside during the storm the walkways were like small rivers, the trees were bending and swaying violently, the rain was coming in sideways in sheets, and the wind was intensely howling. Disney provided flashlights in every room but during the storm we never lost power, I don't even recall seeing the lights flicker at all.

On Saturday prior to the hurricane as we rode to the parks we saw what I would say were hundreds of bucket trucks from tree service companies, as well as electrical companies sitting in all the parking lots at the resorts, parks, etc. with crews put up in the resorts waiting to jump on the cleanup after the storm passed.

Post Irma, from my vantage point here at Saratoga Springs I can see tree limbs down, a couple of small uprooted trees, and a good number of roof shingles on the ground, but overall damage appears to be relatively minimal compared to what it could have been. From my balcony I can see the walkways are now covered with brush, leaves, and other debris. Walking the semi interior open Hallways here in the Paddock area you can still see large puddles and bebris as well as leaves and dirt stuck to the walls from the wind whipping through the halls. We are right next to the paddock pool and the bottom of the pool is covered with leaves, it will be interesting to see how quickly they clean it up and re-open the pool.

If anyone else is currently here on site and want to add your assessment from your current vantage point please feel free to add it.

When the curfew is lifted and we are allowed to move around I will add any other details I find but so far other that minor roof damage I do not see any structural damage to the buildings.

The Adventure Continues...

Recent Trips:
    -OKW Aug 16 - Aug 23 / Royal Pacific Resort Universal Studios Aug 23 - Aug 26, 2013
    -Universal Studios Hard Rock Hotel Nov 14 - Nov 18, 2014
    -Saratoga Springs June 11 -18 2016

Next Trip:
    -Port Orleans Riverside / Saratoga Springs Sept 8 - 17, 2017

2. Thanks ibelieveindisneymagic, PopPhan thanked for this post
  3.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

mgmnut,
    By any chance have you heard or seen anything on Fort Wilderness Campground?

Thanks,
    Davy
    Feb 2020 - FWC
    Jul 2019 - Poly
    2018 - WL - CL
    2017 - FWC
    2016 - WL

2012 - WL - CL
    2010 - WL
    2009 - WL
    2007 - WL
    2003 - WL
    2001 - FWC
    1974, 77, 83 & 1995 - Off site

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks so much for the update, I've seen pictures of trees down and some water damage in the AKL lobby but mostly it seems things are well in control.
    Janet, aka JanetMegan

Scrapbooking-There is a fine line between a mental illness and a hobby.

6. Thanks Davy Crockett thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Davy Crockett View Post
    mgmnut,
    By any chance have you heard or seen anything on Fort Wilderness Campground?

Thanks,
    Davy
    I have not heard any recent updates.

I believe they evacuated the campground for the storm.

What information in particular are you looking for? if I hear anything I can report back

Recent Trips:
    -OKW Aug 16 - Aug 23 / Royal Pacific Resort Universal Studios Aug 23 - Aug 26, 2013

Next Trip:

8. Thanks Davy Crockett thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Resort curfew at Saratoga Springs was lifted, everyone is advised to move around cautiously. On our walk up front we found more uprooted trees, lots of trees with split trunks, and some downed light posts.

Artist Pallet is open now with a full menu, Turf Club again is serving cocktails and have a special on Bloody Mary's and Mimosas. Turf club will be open at 5pm.

Pool cleaning and initial cleanup is under way, I have not seen the tree service trucks yet to come and buck up all the fallen trees and limbs

Everyone is back out and about.

Recent Trips:

Next Trip:

Post Thanks / Like

We are just wanting to know what if any collateral damage may have occurred and when the area will reopen as there is nothing post on Disney's site.

Do not go out of your way but I'll keep checking back to see if you have posted an update.

Thank you again!
    Feb 2020 - FWC
    Jul 2019 - Poly
    2018 - WL - CL
    2017 - FWC
    2016 - WL

2012 - WL - CL
    2010 - WL
    2009 - WL
    2007 - WL
    2003 - WL
    2001 - FWC
    1974, 77, 83 & 1995 - Off site

11. Thanks Genie1953 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I posted on the other thread that I just read that Fort Wilderness remains closed. They are reopening SS Treehouse Villas on Thursday.

BWV & HH

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by missymouseworld View Post
    I posted on the other thread that I just read that Fort Wilderness remains closed. They are reopening SS Treehouse Villas on Thursday.
    As missymouseworld stated, They are saying "Fort Wilderness Campground will remain closed at this time while assessments to the property are completed."

I wouldn't give up hope, I would think they would want to prioritize cleaning up the campgrounds if there are lots of fallen trees at this time to re-open as soon as possible.

Recent Trips:

Next Trip:

Post Thanks / Like

Glad you are safe mgmnut and thanks for sharing your experience.

INTERCOTee Christine was also hunkered down at Walt Disney World during Hurricane Irma and has posted her experience on the INTERCOT Instagram:

https://www.instagram.com/intercot/

The official Operational Update for tomorrow has been posted here.
    Figment! aka Jason ºoº
    INTERCOT STAFF
    News, Rumours & Imagineering
    Dining
    Vacations Beyond Disney

~It’s what us storytellers do; we restore order with imagination, we instill hope again and again~

~We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things~

Post Thanks / Like

We're hunkered down in North Carolina hoping to drive home to Florida tomorrow once gas stations get resupplied. We live 35 minutes from WDW and can go look around for all of you Thursday if that helps any?
    Heather Tyson

Post Thanks / Like

Just a question here...wonder how all of the animal kingdom animals fared out during the hurricane? Has anyone heard?
    1288 very long miles to WDW!
    1958 DL-Off property
    Dec 1998 WDW-Off property-Chaperone HS Band trip
    Sep 2005 WDW-POR-25th Late Anniversary
    Apr 2010 WDW-POR-30th Anniversary!
    Aug 2012 DL-first time in 54 yrs!
    Apr 2014 DL-34th Anniversary!!
    Nov 2016 WDW-Retirement!
    Apr 2018 Disney-DGD's 1st trip!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mgmnut View Post
    As missymouseworld stated, They are saying "Fort Wilderness Campground will remain closed at this time while assessments to the property are completed."

I wouldn't give up hope, I would think they would want to prioritize cleaning up the campgrounds if there are lots of fallen trees at this time to re-open as soon as possible.

MGMNUT,
    Doing my best not to give up hope, but as I am weaving my way through now my third transfer with Disney it seems no real reopening is being given and they are talking about moving guest to other resorts... Bad thing is that there cannot be any decent rooms available this close to a check in date. I am currently waiting on line to speak to someone at the actual Ft. Wilderness property and see what they think. Listening to the Disney hold music does make me want to be there though

If anyone hears anything your posts would be much appreciated.

Thank you very much!
    Shahn

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: