Quantcast Too Old for Disney Clothes?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Too Old for Disney Clothes?

So today I spot a sweatshirt with Stitch on in our local Primark ( budget clothes store, good for cheap t-shirts, socks etc that you don't mind wearing out fast). Stitch stuff is mega-hard to find around here so I grabbed it. At work it was implied that a 45 soon to 46 yr old woman is too old to wear clothes with Disney characters on as Disney is "just for kids". I disagree and will wear it and my other Disney clothes when I want to.
    Does anyone agree with my work colleagues? Or do you wear Disney clothes and to heck with your age and what others think? And how can Disney be just for kids when the parks are full of adults without kids, like myself and hubby? ( who by the way wore a Stitch t-shirt to work on dress down day and people loved it! )
    POFQ Sept 2012
    POFQ Oct 2014 Hubby's 50th Birthday!
    Wilderness Lodge Nov 2018 My 47th Birthday!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Too Old ????? NEVER !!

I'm a little.....okay, a LOT....older than you and I wear Disney duds every chance I get. Getting older is mandatory; growing up is totally optional.

It's a shame that your coworkers have taken the optional route. Ignore them, and celebrate your own youthful and happy attitude.
    Ed
    Senior Imagineer Emeritus

Welcome to the INTERCOT forums !

4. Likes BriarRose0708, PopPhan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I say, as long as it fits the dress code, go for it! I've got about 15 years on you and still sneak in a Disney piece here and there.
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

Post Thanks / Like

I only own Disney t-shirts and sweatshirts! So poo poo to some one who is no fun at all

Post Thanks / Like

Obviously, your co-workers' higher cognitive functions have been seriously impaired by lack of imaginative use and have begun to atrophy.

I'm pretty sure your company at least talks about how much they value innovation. Your co-workers are merely proving that they don't have a clue what innovation, imagination or dreaming even mean. YOU, on the other hand, are proving that you do.

Keep Calm
    and
    Disney On

Steve
    First visit: Disneyland, July 17, 1955 (well, somebody had to be there on opening day!)

Most Recent Visit:
    Disneyland - June 21-25, 2017
    WDW - Sep 22 - Oct 5, 2019
    Next up: WDW - May 9 - 16, 2020 at Riviera!
    Dec 5 - 16, 2020 at Poly

Post Thanks / Like

I'd say depends on where you work and what you do?

Now outside of work, no. And to said they were older, I'd say things are certainly at least cyclical. I.e., Young, can wear whatever, some point maybe not, then later so old, doesn't matter what you are wearing as long as you are dressed. I have one friend who is 1000 years old, and still dresses like its the 1900's.

So, as long as you are comfortable, who cares what they think. Now at work, that does change based on what I said above.
    ===================

2016 POR
    2015 CS
    2014 WDW-Offsite
    2014 Disneyland-offsite
    2014 CBR
    2013 Dolphin
    2012 POR
    2012 WDW-Offsite
    2011 ASMusic, POR

1998 Dixie Landings
    1990's, Dixie Landings, Misc Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

Is the question about what's work appropriate or age appropriate? Work appropriate, it would depend on the workplace. I wouldn't wear a Disney sweatshirt to work, but I've got earrings and pins that I'll wear. But that's my office. I wouldn't wear a Yankees (or any sports-logo'd) sweatshirt either.

Age appropriate? You're never to old for Disney anything.

Post Thanks / Like

60 is in my rear view mirror, and I'm a judge, but I still wear my Mickey ties to work.
    Away from the office, I often wear my "Grumpy" t-shirt" and hat. Not to mention my wife and I wear our matching Mickey T-shirts when we go out together. Carry on.
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

Post Thanks / Like

Who cares what they think? Wear what makes you happy.
    I'll meet you at the Rainbow Bridge.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone for your positive messages. I do wear a uniform at work so obviously no Disney stuff there, I pulled it out of it's bag to show people my find. I wouldn't wear it where inappropriate eg a good restaurant. I wear my Disney stuff on days off from work, shopping, housework or where no dress code like a cinema.
    Thinking some people grow old before their time LOL
    POFQ Sept 2012

Post Thanks / Like

Short of dressing as a character, that seems fine. I agree with the ageless component. Now if you dressed like Tinker or Alice, then I might throw the age flag.
    ===================

2016 POR
    2015 CS
    2014 WDW-Offsite
    2014 Disneyland-offsite
    2014 CBR
    2013 Dolphin
    2012 POR
    2012 WDW-Offsite
    2011 ASMusic, POR

1998 Dixie Landings
    1990's, Dixie Landings, Misc Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

Nothing wrong with wearing clothes with character.
    Steve (aka brownie)
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations & Mousellaneous
    ASMv 4/00, 10/01, 11/03, 5/21
    ASMu 8/12, 11-12/22
    AKL 6/18
    BC 9/94
    CSR 8/14, 3-4/22
    POP 11-12/10, 3/12, 10/12, 7/17, 4/22
    POFQ 10/01
    POR 9/04, 1/16, 11/19
    WL 12/03
    Disneyland 6/07, 1/15
    Disney Dream 8/14

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by texas211 View Post
    Short of dressing as a character, that seems fine. I agree with the ageless component. Now if you dressed like Tinker or Alice, then I might throw the age flag.
    Everyone's a kid at heart! Fall down that rabbit hole.
    I'll meet you at the Rainbow Bridge.

Post Thanks / Like

Goodness, no, there is no age cutoff for wearing Disney-themed clothes! Do your coworkers just wear basic black to work and nothing fun? BTW, Primark is one of my favorite stores to shop at when in the UK. Lots of fun stuff there.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

At 41 I were polo shirts with Mickey, and Grumpy on them to work Monday thru Thursady. On Friday I wear a Aloha Shirt with Mickey, Minnie, Pluto and Donald on it (Unless it is football season, then I wear my school colors).
    "Welcome, Foolish Mortals..."

Post Thanks / Like

I don't wear shirts with giant graphics on the front, but I sure do wear Disney gear at 46!
    Beth & David

09/82 Treehouse Villas, 06/86 BVP, 10/95 CBR, 10/99 DI, 08/03 PORS, 10/05 POP, 11/06 AKL, 09/09 POLY, 10/10 Wonder, 05/11 Dream/PORS, 08/13 POLY, 11/13 GF, 04/15 POLY, 11/15 BLT, 11/16 Aulani, 03/17 BLT, 08/18 BLT, 07/19 AKL, 06/21 BLT

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone. I think next time I'm wearing Disney stuff and I get a look or comment I'll tell them to stop being Grumpy and be Happy
    POFQ Sept 2012

20. Likes baldburke liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I just saw this thread!

It's not about what's on it (as long as it's not vulgar nor threatening), but the style. I tend to wear dress pants/chinos with button down shirts to work. Occasionally i'll throw on a sweatshirt in the fall or early spring. So, I rarely wear t-shirts. Sometimes I wear a polo.

Now, half of my polo's are WDW polos. From resorts or the golf pro-shops. I often wear "crazy" socks, and I bought more than a few Disney ones.

My point being, as someone else said, it depends on the dress code. I'm 45 and work at a university library. My wife is 45, and is a surgeon. She will wear some of the more "classy" Disney stuff, especially around the holidays. She often wears Disney jewelry. When operating, she'll wear Disney scrub caps (and she has made Disney scrub caps for the entire OR staff, so they wear them, too.)

I will wear my classier Disney clothes to work, no problem. It's not about what's on the clothes, nor your age. It's about the style of clothes, and its appropriateness in your workplace.
    2002 - 2022: 20+ visits (POR, BW, All Stars, VWL, CSR, BLT, BC, SSR, CB, Dolphin, OKW, Poly, offsite x8)
    DL - 1996, 2019
    Next up - January 2023 short trip! We just want to try that 50th Anniversary chocolate monstrosity at Mexico!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm 55 and work in an office environment, but still wear my Disney "Hawaiian" shirts whenever possible. It's tough to find them anymore, but I try to pick one (reasonably priced, not these Tommy Bahama $150 jobs, that don't have much, if any, "Disney" to them) up on each trip. Sweatshirts and T's are frowned upon in the office.

T's are for working outside in the yard, so I don't buy them. Disney themed sweatshirts I do wear, but not in the office.

There is a time and a place for everything, but AGE is NOT a consideration. You are never too old to be a kid and enjoy Disney, in any respect.
    -Bud

Walt Disney World:
    9/03 - CBR
    1/09 - BWV
    9/05; 2/07; 12/07; 9/08; 9/09; 9/10; 9/11; 12/13; 12/17; 4/18; 10/18, 4/23 - PC
    5/15 - POR
    1/22 - ASMO
    10/22 - ASMU

Disneyland: 12/15 - Paradise Pier Hotel

Next up: ???

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: