Quantcast Advice needed from Brits re currency

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Advice needed from Brits re currency

It's been several years since we last visited Florida. Last time we travelled we took some cash and Travellers Cheques. Time has moved on and we are now considering what is the best method of paying for items. One option is to bring some cash and the rest on a prepaid Travel Card. Are these cards accepted for payment in the parks and local restaurants or have you found some establishments not happy to accept them. Would welcome your thoughts on the matter. Need to decide what we are doing soon. Many thanks.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Doodle View Post
    It's been several years since we last visited Florida. Last time we travelled we took some cash and Travellers Cheques. Time has moved on and we are now considering what is the best method of paying for items. One option is to bring some cash and the rest on a prepaid Travel Card. Are these cards accepted for payment in the parks and local restaurants or have you found some establishments not happy to accept them. Would welcome your thoughts on the matter. Need to decide what we are doing soon. Many thanks.
    I had a lot of problems with pre pay card so this year have reverted back to Travellers cheques which I purchased in John Lewis.
    Sequoia Lodge @ DLP 2002,2003,2004,2005,2006 & 2015
    Hotel New York @ DLP 2007,2008 & 2010
    Newport Bay @ DLP 2014
    All Star Movies @ WDW 2006
    Pop Century @ WDW 2007
    Port Orleans FQ @ WDW 2009, 2011, 2013 & 2015

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tadshome View Post
    I had a lot of problems with pre pay card so this year have reverted back to Travellers cheques which I purchased in John Lewis.
    Thanks for your reply. Are you able to let me know what sort of problems you had, i.e. was it with the chip and pin? We were seriously considering getting a preloaded currency card (FairFx), but had concerns as to whether chip and pin would be accepted everywhere. I thought that the places you could use Travellers Cheques are now more limited. However as it has been seven years since we last visited we are open to advice.

Post Thanks / Like

Not so much the chip and pin, payments were taken twice and took several days to be refunded and card frozen when trying to use it twice in quite quick succession.
    Sequoia Lodge @ DLP 2002,2003,2004,2005,2006 & 2015
    Hotel New York @ DLP 2007,2008 & 2010
    Newport Bay @ DLP 2014
    All Star Movies @ WDW 2006
    Pop Century @ WDW 2007
    Port Orleans FQ @ WDW 2009, 2011, 2013 & 2015

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tadshome View Post
    Not so much the chip and pin, payments were taken twice and took several days to be refunded and card frozen when trying to use it twice in quite quick succession.
    Thanks for this information. Will have to give it some serious thought. Can I ask whether you used FairFx or was it another company. Just wondering whether it was a company problem or the pre-loaded card in general.

Post Thanks / Like

It was a FairFx card. Ended up using my debit card some of the time.

Post Thanks / Like

Just curious as to why you wouldn't just use a regular credit card and/or debit card for your purchases and to obtain USD once you get over here? It's probably the most convenient way to go and the most widely accepted. I haven't used Travelers Checks when traveling abroad from the US for probably 20 years or more. As far as international transaction fees, there are credit cards out there with no fees. And if there's a fraudulent or erroneous charge you can dispute it through the credit card company. But maybe it's different if you're traveling here from the UK?
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

Disney systems are not a fan of the prepaid cards and in some cases will only allow around 85% of the total card to be used, (not sure why). Many guests will use a credit card llinked to their bands and then make a cash payment (or giftcard payment) so that their actual credit card is not charged. Please keep in mind that your final payment is typically taken in the early morning hours on your actual check out day. Showing up on your check out day just prior to leaving and wanting to make a cash payment, requires the cast member to take the cash payment and then credit your credit card back for that amount, which can then take several days to be credited back to the card. If you want to make your final payment in cash, stop at desk the night before you leave and you will not have the issue of waiting for the credit to be posted back to the card.

"Like a grand and miraculous spaceship, our planet has sailed through the universe of time, and for a brief moment, we have been among it's many passengers."

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: