Quantcast Scooter preference

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Scooter preference

Hello! I'm looking into scooter rental for our upcoming trip. Having not done this before, I want to make the best choice. The thing that concerns me, going to Disney in September, the rainy season, is the fact that scooters can't get wet. Researching scooter rental, I see that Walker Mobility states that they have the only waterproof scooters in the area. I would like to hear of your experience with Walker. What did you like about the service? What didn't you like? Also, can they come into the parks if the scooter breaks down?

If you rent from another company, how do you keep your scooter from getting wet when you can't get to cover immediately?

Thanks for any input
    9/17 Animal Kingdom Lodge
    4/16 Polynesian Village Resort
    5/14 Animal Kingdom Lodge
    8/10 Polynesian Village Resort
    5/09 Animal Kingdom Lodge
    7/08 Animal Kingdom Lodge

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I have never used Walker scooter. I have used Apple Scooter numerous times and I currently have one reserved for our trip in October. Apple scooters are very reasonable and their online rental includes hazard insurance if something would happen to it. I think all scooter can get wet, but the most important part is the tiller or control handle. I will cover the one tiller with a plastic bag large enough to get my hands under. I also wear a poncho and it has seemed to work well.

Some folks have trouble with Apple's service but I guess I am lucky. When ever I have had an issue with the scooter I call them and I have had a replacement in about 30 to 45 min.

Hope this helps...
    Itchy for another trip

Caribbean Beach 1989, 90, 92
    All St Movies 1999, 04, 05, 11
    All St Sports 2006
    Pop 2007, 08 x2, 09 x2, 10, 12 x2,13,14,15,16,17,18,2021,23
    POR 2010 x2, 11
    Coronado Springs 2019

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info, Itchy!

Post Thanks / Like

Here is the current list of approved providers direct from the official Disney website:

Disney Featured Providers
    In addition to the locations listed here, several Orlando-area companies also offer wheelchairs, ECVs, strollers and other mobility products for rent. Pre-orders and deliveries to Disney Resort hotels are available through these providers, which include:
    Buena Vista Scooter Rentals: (866) 484-4797
    Best Price Scooters and Strollers: (866) 866-3434
    Apple Scooter: (800) 701-1971
    ScooterBug: (800) 726-8284

I notice from this listing that a couple of providers have been recently dropped.
    I have been using a scooter since 2005 and have 17 trips since then. I have also used most every provider out there including Walker Mobility. Rather surprised to see they are no longer on the list as the time I got one from them was from the front desk at the Grand Floridian when the scooter I rented from Care Medical died while dining there. They could not provide with another ECV for me that day but Walker was able to do so.
    I have since that time found Apple Scooter and have been very pleased with them.
    The issue of rain is a really valid point. I pack in my luggage 2 of the biggest size Glad trash bags I can get (usually buy them at Home Depot). Immediately one goes into the back pocket behind the seat where the charger is kept. When I leave the scooter to dine or go into an attraction I always am aware of the weather conditions and will cover the scooter up if I think it may be needed. As Itchy stated a smaller plastic bag (usually a shopping bag) does the trick for the hand controls. Also be aware if you encounter pooling of rain water on the ground. I have seen the area in the back of Italy get so deep it came over where you put your feet.
    Go, enjoy, all will be a lot easier than you think!
    KAY

DVC MEMBER - OKW & HHI
    First trip to WDW - Dec, 2005
    Last visit to Disneyland - 2014

First trip to Disneyland - 1955

Post Thanks / Like

We have used Walker three times and have had no complaints.
    Disneyland 91
    Caribbean Beach 02
    Aulani 23
    ASMu 03
    ASSp 04 05 06 07 15 16 17
    Boardwalk 22
    POP 04 05 06 08 09 10 11 13 14 15 20 21 22
    Kidani Village 18
    Grand Floridian 18
    Polynesian 19 23
    Saratoga Springs 20
    Old Key West 20
    Wonder 08 10 12 17 18 19
    Magic 22
    Dream 13
    Fantasy 15

Post Thanks / Like

Same here with Walker. The thing that scares me away from Apple Scooters is that they currently have an F rating with the Better Business Bureau in Florida.

Post Thanks / Like

We've used Apple twice, and never, ever, ever, never again! Both times we had issues with the equipment (one time it was an ECV and the second time a manual wheelchair) and the customer service was horrific, especially with the ECV issue. Please use anyone but them.
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you, everyone for your responses! I decided to try Buena Vista and reserved one for our upcoming trip. Will definitely take advice about using plastic bags to protect the scooter from rain. Do I just need to cover the hand control or do I cover the charger too?

Speaking of the charger, are there places in the parks to charge them if you find you're getting low on battery power? We always take a mid-day break and I'll be recharging then at the resort, but just in case I need to charge while I'm out ...

Also wondering about meet & greets with characters. I like to do this, but those lines are so packed, I'm afraid I'd bump into someone. I was wondering how you handle it? Can I wait outside the line until my daughters reach the character and then join them? I can do short amounts of standing, maybe 10-15 minutes at a time, but in that case is there somewhere to park the thing?

Are there any recommended viewing spots for parades and fireworks?

I'm probably way more nervous about this than necessary, but I've never done Disney this way before. I had a lot of pain last trip and had to stop and sit frequently. I'm hoping the scooter will make me a lot more comfortable.

I appreciate any advice any of you can provide on my concerns!

Post Thanks / Like

The chargers I have always seen are in a pocket on the back of the scooter seat and are protected from the elements.
    A full charge overnight 98% of the time will hold me for an entire day. Turn that key off if you are just sitting going nowhere! I zip all over the place on any average day. My family finds it easier to send Mom on her scooter to the other side of the park to get the jackets from the locker or if there are different mugs at the gift shop where they aren't or...........whatever. Ask CMs for nearby locations of electric outlets. Warning sometimes they have no clue.
    It is highly unlikely that it will be you who does the running over of someone. Most times (and they are very few and far between) the other guy will simply run right into you while they are using their phone or reading a map or taking a selfie while still walking. The most memorial one was the woman who tried to jump the line at Soarin' because she saw an "empty" space between my hubby and my daughter and landed in my scooter basket. She then promptly asked me, "What are you doing down there?"
    Viewing spots for the parades are marked on the park maps.
    A couple of hints:
    Get one of those plastic bracelets that look like a miniature Slinky and put the key to the scooter on it. Much quicker to slip on and off your arm than trying to dig it out of your purse or pocket. When you leave your scooter anywhere you will be told to remove your key and take it with you. Do not be surprised when you return to it if a CM has not moved your scooter, happens all the time.
    I noticed that you are staying at AKL. If you have not done so, call and request a room as close to the lobby as possible. Those halls at Kadani VIllage are long and I have had experience on more than one occasion running out of a charge before getting back to our room after a long day at the parks. There is a release lever that will allow someone to push the scooter without power to it.
    Have fun, everything will work out great.
    KAY

DVC MEMBER - OKW & HHI
    First trip to WDW - Dec, 2005
    Last visit to Disneyland - 2014

First trip to Disneyland - 1955

Post Thanks / Like

The only charging station I remember is in AK, outside Finding Nemo, near the exit. What was good was that you could plug in your scooter to charge while watching the performance. Of course, I found this out on the ONE day in about 11 days that I went to the parks without my charger. So I've never needed to recharge the scooter during the day.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the information and advice!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: