Quantcast Disney to launch own streaming service - bye-bye Netflix - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Wow ... I normally agree with you on most things, but on this I have a very different point of view. I'm actually quite shocked, though, to see how many people agreed with you so maybe I'm off base I dunno.

I've viewed the last five to ten years of Disney animation as something of a renaissance for them. In fact, where it used to be that Pixar's animation offerings were head and shoulders better than Disney's, I almost feel as though that has flipped. WDFA has had some AMAZING films in the last few years. I mean Frozen is a masterpiece and is only the highest grossing animated feature of all time. Moana was a gem, as well. My kids (ages 7-15) absolutely adore these films and watch them constantly. In between those two was Zootopia, which is another fantastic film that my kids (and my wife and I, as well) were obsessed with for a year after it came out. And Big Hero 6 was also a terrific film. I'd submit you'd be hard pressed to find four Disney animated features in a row that were of this quality at any time in their entire history.

As far as the Disney Channel content, all of my kids grew up almost exclusively on Playhouse Disney/Disney Junior and then graduated to the Disney Channel. The pre-school shows have been excellent for decades, but I'll admit the tweener/teen shows on The Disney Channel are a little corny. But then again I'm not the target audience and my kids and all their friends are obsessed with like Good Luck Charlie and shows like that.

I'll slam Disney for a lot of things, but honestly I don't think their content output has ever been stronger.
    The one good thing about Disney is that they have a lot of stuff for a lot of different tastes. I absolutely hated Frozen and Zootopia. My daughter doesn't like them either, and they don't hold my granddaughter's attention. I did like Tangled. I will take Lion King/Little Mermaid/etc over the movies now though. My favorites are still the original princess movies.
    I'll meet you at the Rainbow Bridge.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

It occurred to me I forgot to respond to the actual topic of this post

I'm pretty concerned about the direction Disney is taking here. As others have said, what if all content owners decide to use their own streaming service to distribute? The main reason streaming services like Hulu and Netflix have become so popular is because consumers are rebelling against paying cable providers $250 a month for "bundles." In most cases people use what? Like 25% of what they pay for ... it's a dead business model that consumers aren't going to tolerate any longer. This is nothing more than the next CD's/Napster/iTunes market disruption.

If all content owners suddenly decide to follow Disney's model then what? You're going to have to pay $10 a month to 25 different people to get access to their content? It's not going to work. Forget about the money aspect (25 different providers is an exaggeration anyway), but consider the logistics/user experience of that? Do you really want 10 different bills coming in for content every month? 10 different apps and/or devices to deal with just to watch a little TV? Businesses are making this WAY too complicated and it's simply out of the rampant and excessive greed that permeates Corporate America these days. Gotta have that 20% YoY growth or the Street will make you pay the price! Stop already ... the consumers ALWAYS win. In the age of the Internet everything is basically available for free. People want to be honest but if they can't get what they want at a price they consider fair they will go outside the rules to get what they want.

Content owners should be content owners and distributors should be distributors. Keep it simple, stupids
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

4. Thanks Fangorn, Tekneek thanked for this post
    Likes Tekneek liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Keep it simple, stupids
    Tell us how you really feel. :P

Post Thanks / Like

And so we go back to bundled cable. Entertainment has gotten too complex. I don't want to work this hard to watch tv. Half the time, I'm just looking for something watch (barring sports, racing ) being on. Anything else I record. I don't watch any of the just streaming content.

As Vince said, Hey, sewer rat may taste like pumpkin pie, but I'd never know 'cause I wouldn't

So I'm not going to mess w/ any of that, until I absolutely have to. I fear one day I'll have to have 10 different sports services just to watch racing, football, baseball, hockey, etc.

But, it is the way. If Disney is going to have their own streaming, I hope they pipe in some of the resort stuff they show, more info about the parks, etc.
    ===================

2016 POR
    2015 CS
    2014 WDW-Offsite
    2014 Disneyland-offsite
    2014 CBR
    2013 Dolphin
    2012 POR
    2012 WDW-Offsite
    2011 ASMusic, POR

1998 Dixie Landings
    1990's, Dixie Landings, Misc Offsite

7. Likes luvdiznee liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cinderelley View Post
    Tell us how you really feel. :P
    I usually do lol
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I usually do lol
    That must be why I like you so much.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by texas211 View Post
    And so we go back to bundled cable. Entertainment has gotten too complex. I don't want to work this hard to watch tv. Half the time, I'm just looking for something watch (barring sports, racing ) being on. Anything else I record. I don't watch any of the just streaming content.

As Vince said, Hey, sewer rat may taste like pumpkin pie, but I'd never know 'cause I wouldn't

So I'm not going to mess w/ any of that, until I absolutely have to. I fear one day I'll have to have 10 different sports services just to watch racing, football, baseball, hockey, etc.

But, it is the way. If Disney is going to have their own streaming, I hope they pipe in some of the resort stuff they show, more info about the parks, etc.

Yeah, it isn't worth the effort to me. I don't even own a television. There's so much more to do in life that is way better than dealing with this.

11. Likes Tekneek liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cinderelley View Post
    Yeah, it isn't worth the effort to me. I don't even own a television. There's so much more to do in life that is way better than dealing with this.
    This is the logical conclusion of all this madness. The more difficult it becomes, the less money everybody gets to make. People either go outside of the legal channels or they walk away completely. When people get accustomed to not watching your content at all, you're done.

Post Thanks / Like

I still have my bundled service (cable/ internet/ TV) simply because I don't want to mess with anything else. I do have Netflix streaming, but we rarely watch it, so I'm thinking of canning it. My daughter and her family just got a TV (after seven years of marriage) because they got a free one with some offer they did. They only have Amazon streaming.
    Bottom line (at least the way I see it) is that the providers got themselves into this mess by gouging the consumer, and now they are WAY overestimating that same consumer's loyalty to their content. Most people I know just don't care enough to jump through the hoops anymore. I keep my current situation just because it's easy...not because I'd die if I lost any of it. You can be sure that I'm not going to go out of my way to sign up for special streaming services for certain content. For me, it's not about money, it's about hassle...
    "There's a great big beautiful tomorrow shining at the end of every day..."

1973- Disneyland
    1981- WDW- OS
    1991- WDW- OS
    1995- WDW- CBR
    2000- WDW- DLR
    2001- WDW- ASM
    2009- WDW- POFQ
    2010 (November)-WDW POR
    2015 (December...with the grandkids)WDW ASM
    2019- WDW- POR

14. Likes Tekneek, texas211, luvdiznee liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stu29573 View Post
    I still have my bundled service (cable/ internet/ TV) simply because I don't want to mess with anything else. I do have Netflix streaming, but we rarely watch it, so I'm thinking of canning it. My daughter and her family just got a TV (after seven years of marriage) because they got a free one with some offer they did. They only have Amazon streaming.
    Bottom line (at least the way I see it) is that the providers got themselves into this mess by gouging the consumer, and now they are WAY overestimating that same consumer's loyalty to their content. Most people I know just don't care enough to jump through the hoops anymore. I keep my current situation just because it's easy...not because I'd die if I lost any of it. You can be sure that I'm not going to go out of my way to sign up for special streaming services for certain content. For me, it's not about money, it's about hassle...
    I think that's it. Who wants the hassle? I'm right there w/ you.
    ===================

2016 POR
    2015 CS
    2014 WDW-Offsite
    2014 Disneyland-offsite
    2014 CBR
    2013 Dolphin
    2012 POR
    2012 WDW-Offsite
    2011 ASMusic, POR

1998 Dixie Landings
    1990's, Dixie Landings, Misc Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

Life is complicated enough without having to decide what channels to pick or what networks to go with. I'm sorry but there are a lot more important choices to deal with than what to watch on t.v.

Guess it sounds like I need a vacation..lol...
    Offsite...(12/97 & 10/99)
    DL...(10/02 & 5/05)
    CBR/Disney Wonder 2004, AllStar Music 2004, AKL 2006, POP 2006, POP 2007, Poly 2007, BWI 2007, WL 2008, CSR 2009, Poly 2009, CBR 2010, AKL 2011...

Post Thanks / Like

I'll be sticking with netflix... Disney's content isn't good enough to get me to sign up for their service.. Plus, I already buy their animated movies on Blu-ray... Why pay for a subscription when the only other stuff they will have is aimed for 5 years old?? yea, no thank you... I'll stick with Netflix...
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: