Quantcast Nerves of Steel

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Thread: Nerves of Steel

Post Thanks / Like

Default Nerves of Steel

How long do you wait before booking flights? I'm still 6 months out, and wanting to nail down the tickets. Is it too soon to worry about the best flights/times being sold out? I will feel better when I have the tickets purchased. In the past, I always did it two months out. I'm not that brave anymore.
    First trip: 1992 with sister, last trip 2018 with grandchild, not done yet!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Snow's Mom View Post
    How long do you wait before booking flights? I'm still 6 months out, and wanting to nail down the tickets. Is it too soon to worry about the best flights/times being sold out? I will feel better when I have the tickets purchased. In the past, I always did it two months out. I'm not that brave anymore.
    If I know my travel dates early, I try to book my flight as early as possible. I fly JetBlue to Orlando as they have the best schedule; there prices only seem to go up as the date of travel gets closer. My best deals have been when I've bought my flights the day the schedule extended.

That said, I think it depends on what time of year you are traveling and whether you are flying weekends or mid-week. If you aren't going around a holiday and are flying mid-week, I think you can still get good prices closer to your travel date. I just booked a long weekend trip for early September, so about 6 weeks out and prices were still super reasonable.

Good luck!
    DVC Member
    Boston, MA and Celebration, FL

Post Thanks / Like

It's really hard to make general guidelines about this. There are way too many variables. Season/dates matter. Airline matters. Your particular market (airport) matters. Route competition matters.

I fly SW. In my market (Portland, OR), the opening day fares are almost never the best ones. I can generally count on therm coming down and be lowest much closer to the travel date. My observation is that this is not the case with SW's east coast flights, which tells me there are regional differences in the way people book and the airlines take that into account as well.

If you've had success in the past booking a couple of months out, then that strategy is likely to still work for you. Unless, of course, you're going during a holiday, spring break, etc.

Truly, the best plan is to start watching fares regularly (daily). If you find a fare you're comfortable with, book it. Don't look again and don't second guess your decision (you'll just stress yourself out).

I know, not much real help.

Steve
    First visit: Disneyland, July 17, 1955 (well, somebody had to be there on opening day!)

Most Recent Visit:
    Disneyland - June 21-25, 2017
    WDW - Sep 22 - Oct 5, 2019
    Next up: WDW - May 9 - 16, 2020 at Riviera!
    Dec 5 - 16, 2020 at Poly

5. Likes Isabella liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Snow's Mom View Post
    What airline and from where are you flying?
    "You used all the glue on purpose!"

Post Thanks / Like

I fly American, and generally in first and only want non stop flights. So I book as soon as I get the best rate, or if the times drop down to just a few. So, 6 months out, all the way up to a month. I probably book in the 3 month range usually, mostly so I can dictate if work will allow me to escape.
    ===================

2016 POR
    2015 CS
    2014 WDW-Offsite
    2014 Disneyland-offsite
    2014 CBR
    2013 Dolphin
    2012 POR
    2012 WDW-Offsite
    2011 ASMusic, POR

1998 Dixie Landings
    1990's, Dixie Landings, Misc Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

There is an app called Hopper. You can put your destination and it will tell you to wait or buy. We got great deals to Orlando that way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Booked SW from Chicago MDW. The price was reasonable, about the same we paid for a flight 6 years ago, and within our budget. We missed the $99 flights, but with free bags, I'm happy. Got the times we wanted, which is also important. We usually fly out of MSP, but couldn't get a non-stop from there and it was more expensive. So, more driving, less flying. Thanks for the input! Will definitely come in handy.

Post Thanks / Like

Not to change the subject but anyone have any reviews on Frontier Airlines, they have some real low rates but never used them or anyone I know either has?

First trip 1986 ...
    Not enough since then!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BIGDOG View Post
    Not to change the subject but anyone have any reviews on Frontier Airlines, they have some real low rates but never used them or anyone I know either has?
    My mom flew it one time and said never again. They have horrid reviews online. And they charge you not just for checked luggage but also any carry on. You'll need to take that into account when pricing things out.
    Aryn

I am the rebel spy.

Post Thanks / Like

I thought 99.00 pvd to mco non stop was too good to be true. Thanks I will check it out not flying till Jan but want to line up soon.

First trip 1986 ...
    Not enough since then!

Post Thanks / Like

Its like a flying Greyhound. Might even need to pay to use the head.
    ===================

2016 POR
    2015 CS
    2014 WDW-Offsite
    2014 Disneyland-offsite
    2014 CBR
    2013 Dolphin
    2012 POR
    2012 WDW-Offsite
    2011 ASMusic, POR

1998 Dixie Landings
    1990's, Dixie Landings, Misc Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BIGDOG View Post
    There's nothing in particular wrong with Frontier as long as you realize they're a discount carrier that advertises the bare bones fare and then charges for everything beyond that.

Post Thanks / Like

I tried to find out last night how much they charge extra for bags and couldn't find anything.
    I did find it cost 5.00 to book flights and extra if you want a more comfortable seat?

First trip 1986 ...
    Not enough since then!

Post Thanks / Like

Frontier has several tiers of pricing - they charge more for bags if you pay at the airport or if you travel during peak times. They'll charge a bit less if you pay online when you book, and when you're traveling less peak times. But in general, if you pay online, you are looking around $30-$45 per bag (checked and carry-on). At the airport, it's more like $40-$50 per bag. It can really add up on Frontier. It truly is one of those no-frills airlines, and if you want straight transportation to another city, and don't have much luggage to carry with you, it can be pretty economical. But the extras add up in a hurry, especially for families traveling to a place like Disney. A $99 fare nearly doubles if you even have one checked bag and one carry-on. And don't forget to print your own boarding pass - they'll charge you for that at the airport, too...... It's probably worth a drive to an airport to fly Southwest instead.

Post Thanks / Like

Some of their "really low rates" are Den Deals. You have to pay to join the club to get those prices.

We flew Frontier recently. Everything went smoothly. We checked one bag, paid for it in advance. No pretzels, pop, water...just a seat. And if I remember correctly, it did not recline. Not a lot of room.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: