Quantcast New Classification System for Walt Disney World Hotels? - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by texas211 View Post
    Yeah, but I see the pricing jumping way on up.

No thanks. I'll stay at offisite premiums, enjoy my rental Tahoe, and still be way less expensive and a better value. I don't mind paying premium rates, but I feel like the Disney hotels just really dont do enough to justify such prices. Other hotels, sure.
    Amen to that. The week of Thanksgiving I am staying in a 3 bedroom, 3 bath townhouse for $1000 less than it would have cost me to get two rooms at an all-star resort. Even when you consider the extra money I will have to pay for parking I am still saving $800 by staying offsite. And that is not even including the savings on food, because we will be cooking breakfast at the townhouse rather than buying it in the resort food court.
    "Welcome, Foolish Mortals..."

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cinderelley View Post
    I see it becoming a thing where staying on site is a draw because you can schedule your fastpasses/dining reservations/etc earlier when staying on site, not really because the resorts are worth as much as they charge for them.
    Oh I totally think that is their idea. However, since they now have so many resorts, and building more, it matters less to me. All the best FPs are taken all the time. You can still get them, but just at less preferred times.

We were seeing 300-400 for POR, and up from there. Again, if I liked it enough I'd pay it. But I feel like I'm being ripped off. It'd be like buying a ticket to go to just DHS right now with most of the place under refurb.
    ===================

2016 POR
    2015 CS
    2014 WDW-Offsite
    2014 Disneyland-offsite
    2014 CBR
    2013 Dolphin
    2012 POR
    2012 WDW-Offsite
    2011 ASMusic, POR

1998 Dixie Landings
    1990's, Dixie Landings, Misc Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

I see it becoming a thing where staying on site is a draw because you can schedule your fastpasses/dining reservations/etc earlier when staying on site, not really because the resorts are worth as much as they charge for them.
    Paying a premium to be able to pre-book attractions months in advance is even beyond my love for vacation planning. If weather or ride closures disrupt this months-in-advance plan, you're back into the pool with everybody else anyway. FP+ was sold as making things better for the customer, but it really is about making things easier for Disney. If it were about making things better for the customer, it would be a lot more powerful and wouldn't require booking so far in advance.

It is a testament to the power of marketing that Disney does all of these things and people so easily believe it is for them. They have truly found the Holy Grail. I tell you pretty much all businesses wish they could make things easier for themselves, while charging their customers more, and have their customers believe it is about providing them a better experience (rather than simply padding the profit margins). They have people willingly boxing themselves into plans made months in advance, even believing it is in their interest to pay a premium for the opportunity.

5. Likes Park Hopper, Mendelson liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tekneek View Post
    Paying a premium to be able to pre-book attractions months in advance is even beyond my love for vacation planning. If weather or ride closures disrupt this months-in-advance plan, you're back into the pool with everybody else anyway. FP+ was sold as making things better for the customer, but it really is about making things easier for Disney. If it were about making things better for the customer, it would be a lot more powerful and wouldn't require booking so far in advance.

It is a testament to the power of marketing that Disney does all of these things and people so easily believe it is for them. They have truly found the Holy Grail. I tell you pretty much all businesses wish they could make things easier for themselves, while charging their customers more, and have their customers believe it is about providing them a better experience (rather than simply padding the profit margins). They have people willingly boxing themselves into plans made months in advance, even believing it is in their interest to pay a premium for the opportunity.
    Yep
    I'll meet you at the Rainbow Bridge.

Post Thanks / Like

Get ready to pay for pre-booking FP at WDW....
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyFreak2002 View Post
    Get ready to pay for pre-booking FP at WDW....
    Isn't Disney MaxPass (the $10 per ticket add-on for Disneyland) the testing for that? I assumed that would end up being the new FastPass scheme for everyone eventually. I am surprised I have not seen a lot of talk about that.

Post Thanks / Like

Isn't Disney MaxPass (the $10 per ticket add-on for Disneyland) the testing for that? I assumed that would end up being the new FastPass scheme for everyone eventually. I am surprised I have not seen a lot of talk about that.
    Could be. But MaxPass is sort of a different animal in that Fastpass at Disneyland is still the old system (with a tech overlay now), and FP isn't used by guests there to the same extent that it is in WDW. We were there in June and other than Radiator Springs Racers and GotG, it didn't seem to be used much. We consistently were able to get FP for rides with return times of NOW, while the standby line was 30-40 min. There's a different mindset at Disneyland.

The interesting thing about MaxPass, is that it's a mixture of products. It includes FP and what would be Memory Maker at WDW. But, and this is where I think there may be some testing going on, there is a daily charge PER TICKET for it. Annual passholders have the option to pay a $75 annual upcharge.

MaxPass FP can only be made once you are in the park, and only 1 at a time. You don't actually get to schedule them - it's just the old FP System using your phone instead of running to the machines.

But (putting my business consultant hat on), it will be interesting to see if/how they position a pay to play FP+ structure at WDW. As a guest, however, I'll hate it.

Steve
    First visit: Disneyland, July 17, 1955 (well, somebody had to be there on opening day!)

Most Recent Visit:
    Disneyland - June 21-25, 2017
    WDW - Sep 22 - Oct 5, 2019
    Next up: WDW - May 9 - 16, 2020 at Riviera!
    Dec 5 - 16, 2020 at Poly

10. Likes Tekneek liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, maybe if it goes to a pay to play format, it'll be a bit more usable as less people will buy in.
    ===================

2016 POR
    2015 CS
    2014 WDW-Offsite
    2014 Disneyland-offsite
    2014 CBR
    2013 Dolphin
    2012 POR
    2012 WDW-Offsite
    2011 ASMusic, POR

1998 Dixie Landings

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know if that is the test or not... it may be... All I have heard was they want guests for FP at Disney World... Just when this is going to happen, your guess is as good as anyone's...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

Post Thanks / Like

Well, maybe if it goes to a pay to play format, it'll be a bit more usable as less people will buy in.
    Don't know about that... Disney has an uncanny way of convincing people to part with their money LOL...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyFreak2002 View Post
    Don't know about that... Disney has an uncanny way of convincing people to part with their money LOL...
    Yep, they find a way to monetize almost anything.
    I have travelled to WDW 3 times over the last several months (my kids are DCP) and have seen first hand how FP+ has totally screwed up the park experience. People eater rides that would normally be walk-ons all have waits because of how FP+ embargoes the queue. I have noticed, however, that I have been able to get at least a tier 1 and two other FP each day for a park of my choice with little to no advance planning (3-4 days early) which I feel shows that their attendance numbers are not that great.

Back on topic - Again having stayed at several resorts over the past few months, I also see how Disney has managed to try and lower costs at the values by cutting staffing at the food courts and other smaller changes in the rooms as well. If I wasn't getting a break on some of these stays, I would definitely be staying off-site.

15. Thanks DizneyFreak2002 thanked for this post
    Likes DizneyFreak2002 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Roger's #1 Fan View Post
    Yep, they find a way to monetize almost anything.
    I have travelled to WDW 3 times over the last several months (my kids are DCP) and have seen first hand how FP+ has totally screwed up the park experience. People eater rides that would normally be walk-ons all have waits because of how FP+ embargoes the queue. I have noticed, however, that I have been able to get at least a tier 1 and two other FP each day for a park of my choice with little to no advance planning (3-4 days early) which I feel shows that their attendance numbers are not that great.

Back on topic - Again having stayed at several resorts over the past few months, I also see how Disney has managed to try and lower costs at the values by cutting staffing at the food courts and other smaller changes in the rooms as well. If I wasn't getting a break on some of these stays, I would definitely be staying off-site.
    One of the reasons we are exploring other vacation options for next year.
    ===================

2016 POR
    2015 CS
    2014 WDW-Offsite
    2014 Disneyland-offsite
    2014 CBR
    2013 Dolphin
    2012 POR
    2012 WDW-Offsite
    2011 ASMusic, POR

1998 Dixie Landings

Post Thanks / Like

I highly recommend cruising.

Post Thanks / Like

I highly recommend cruising.
    That is what Im told and being led to. I'm apprehensive of being trapped on a boat with so many others. Wife wants to do a disney cruise, some friends recommend another. I'm like, if I can't smoke a cigar, somewhere, I'm not going...

My vote is Hawaii or possible a lake rental somewhere.
    ===================

2016 POR
    2015 CS
    2014 WDW-Offsite
    2014 Disneyland-offsite
    2014 CBR
    2013 Dolphin
    2012 POR
    2012 WDW-Offsite
    2011 ASMusic, POR

1998 Dixie Landings

Post Thanks / Like

That is what Im told and being led to. I'm apprehensive of being trapped on a boat with so many others. Wife wants to do a disney cruise, some friends recommend another. I'm like, if I can't smoke a cigar, somewhere, I'm not going...

My vote is Hawaii or possible a lake rental somewhere.
    Well, I know it is the Disney name, but I think Disney cruises are outrageously priced. I like Royal Caribbean, and I know they have smoking areas. You aren't really trapped on the boat. You get off and do stuff in port. Then come back to your ship. Try a short cruise and see how you like it.

20. Thanks Wayne thanked for this post
    Likes Wayne liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, I know it is the Disney name, but I think Disney cruises are outrageously priced.
    You're not the only one.
    Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or imbeciles who really mean it - Mark Twain

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    You're not the only one.
    That staterooms look pricey ,and just hate to spend it if I don't love it.

And my Mark Twain quote:
    “It has always been my rule never to smoke when asleep, and never to refrain when awake.” Mark Twain
    ===================

2016 POR
    2015 CS
    2014 WDW-Offsite
    2014 Disneyland-offsite
    2014 CBR
    2013 Dolphin
    2012 POR
    2012 WDW-Offsite
    2011 ASMusic, POR

1998 Dixie Landings

Post Thanks / Like

My wife and I were annual+ visitors for the better part of two decades but stayed away after the Forsaken Plan, er, Fast Pass was implemented. We recently moved to Florida, so I decided to give DW a try. I absolutely hated it. Essentially, we were told what we could and could not do and when we could and couldn't do it.

There are more enjoyable ways to spend my hard earned money.

Post Thanks / Like

That staterooms look pricey ,and just hate to spend it if I don't love it.

And my Mark Twain quote:
    “It has always been my rule never to smoke when asleep, and never to refrain when awake.” Mark Twain
    If you like to drink and smoke, Carnival Cruises may be for you.

25. Likes JerseyDad liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If you like to drink and smoke, Carnival Cruises may be for you.
    I've heard they'd directly conflict with my personality. The wife wants disney, I've been looking at Norwegian and Royal as thats what folks told me I should try.

But on topic, yeah, and the soap thing...

Just watch, the test plan for opting out of getting your room refreshed daily... That will be a mandatory thing at some point. And everyone cheaping out to and taking that for the current gift card, is causing the bobsled to that even faster.

I watch on tube the old 90's A Day at the MK and a Day at Epcot Center. The further disney gets from that, the less I want to come.
    ===================

2016 POR
    2015 CS
    2014 WDW-Offsite
    2014 Disneyland-offsite
    2014 CBR
    2013 Dolphin
    2012 POR
    2012 WDW-Offsite
    2011 ASMusic, POR

1998 Dixie Landings