Quantcast Disney to launch own streaming service - bye-bye Netflix
 
INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
 

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 32
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    2,351
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Disney to launch own streaming service - bye-bye Netflix

    Disney announced today on their earnings call that in 2019, they will start their own streaming video service. The service will steam Disney's video library, as well as ESPN contract. A result of the announcement is that Disney will be removing their content from Netflix.

    The story from Variety can be found here

    http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/bob-...ey-1202519974/

    Steve
    First visit: Disneyland, July 17, 1955 (well, somebody had to be there on opening day!)

    Most Recent Visit:
    Disneyland - June 21-25, 2017
    WDW - Oct 27 - Nov 5, 2018 RunIcot
    Next up: WDW - Sept 2019

  2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
  3. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Black Spire Outpost - Galaxy's Edge
    Posts
    22,803
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Yep, and DC/WB are doing it too...
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

    TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

    BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Fort Worth, Tx
    Posts
    1,949
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Pretty soon you'll need a tv guide to tell whats on tv on the 46 different streaming solutions.
    ===================

    2016 POR
    2015 CS
    2014 WDW-Offsite
    2014 Disneyland-offsite
    2014 CBR
    2013 Dolphin
    2012 POR
    2012 WDW-Offsite
    2011 ASMusic, POR

    1998 Dixie Landings
    1990's, Dixie Landings, Misc Offsite

  5. Likes Mendelson liked this post
  6. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Bethlehem, GA
    Posts
    3,083
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    This only works for me if they open up the vault. I won't pay anything for an arbitrarily limited selection like they've been subletting to others.

    As far as the ESPN part goes, I read that it would not include content from the channels. That essentially sounds like they will take ESPN 3 and sell it as a standalone subscription service. As well, I read that they might somehow bundle in content from BAM Tech, but it isn't clear to me how they can take MLB.TV and NHL.TV and make it part of some other service considering those are specifically an out-of-market service (streaming equivalent of MLB Extra Innings and NHL Center Ice on cable/satellite).

  7. #5
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    879
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tekneek View Post
    This only works for me if they open up the vault. I won't pay anything for an arbitrarily limited selection like they've been subletting to others.

    As far as the ESPN part goes, I read that it would not include content from the channels. That essentially sounds like they will take ESPN 3 and sell it as a standalone subscription service. As well, I read that they might somehow bundle in content from BAM Tech, but it isn't clear to me how they can take MLB.TV and NHL.TV and make it part of some other service considering those are specifically an out-of-market service (streaming equivalent of MLB Extra Innings and NHL Center Ice on cable/satellite).
    Absolutely on the vault. I just got an email from the Movie Club today saying something like, "Last chance to get Aladdin!" because I assume it's going back in the vault. Come on Disney...this was always an insulting an idea and in 2017 is quaint. You really think you putting some artificial hold on supply is going to stop people from finding and watching this movie FOR FREE? They're just shooting themselves in the foot.
    Last edited by Ian; 08-09-2017 at 01:03 PM.
    "You used all the glue on purpose!"

  8. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Norfolk, VA
    Posts
    484
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tekneek View Post
    This only works for me if they open up the vault. I won't pay anything for an arbitrarily limited selection like they've been subletting to others.
    Same. And by vault I mean I want the stuff that was in Vault Disney on the Disney Channel and some of the stuff from the Disney Channel for the days of it as a premium service like Mouseterpiece Theater.
    Clay
    Old Dominion University
    Class of 2001

    I got bit by the Big Blue Beast and I loved it...

  9. Likes Tekneek liked this post
  10. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Huntsville, Alabama
    Posts
    1,151
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Here we go again with these big entertainment companies dividing up content into exclusive services. People are not going to pay for multiple streaming services to get each little bit of content. This is exactly why black market free streaming exists and by doing this they are pushing more people toward the black market.

    If all of the entertainment media companies would quit trying to be greedy and allow netflix and hulu to offer all of their content at a reasonable monthly rate, there would be only a fraction of the black market streaming going on. But whatever, set up exclusive streaming services and exclusive contracts and then sit and cry about all the people finding the content for free.

  11. Likes VWL Mom, Tekneek, luvdiznee liked this post
  12. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Bethlehem, GA
    Posts
    3,083
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Clay Ransone View Post
    Same. And by vault I mean I want the stuff that was in Vault Disney on the Disney Channel and some of the stuff from the Disney Channel for the days of it as a premium service like Mouseterpiece Theater.
    Indeed. If they literally open up the entire vault, allowing you to stream every Wonderful World of Disney/Color episode, all the original content produced for The Disney Channel, every short ever made, every film they ever created, etc, it would be a very compelling service that would stand up to anything in existence.

    I am told the model for this service is DisneyLife, though, which is their exclusive streaming service they've already been running over in the UK. If that is the truly the case, what they want to do is have you pay $15 a month for a few hundred films, some soundtracks, some read-a-long books, etc. I won't even bother with a free trial for a service like that.

    I suppose these decisions make sense in the short term, but I continue to wonder just how far Disney can ride on their reputation. I had been a Disney nut, but largely now my 4 children barely watch anything from Disney. There is one movie, Moana, from the past 3 years that they have watched more than once. Sometimes they want to watch The Disney Channel, but most of the time they never watch, listen, or even mention Disney properties. I imagine that, as everything related to Disney becomes more exclusive, that more people will begin to grow up without going to a park or seeing much Disney content. I wonder what the long term consequences of that might be, but the current executives will have golden parachuted out of the plane by then.

  13. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Rowlett, Tx
    Posts
    1,680
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Current Disney content has become...well...bad. It's almost as if we've gone back to the late 70's/ early 80's, when the company was largely adrift. At that time they were afraid to do anything "edgy" or "current." Now it seems like, in some ways, the opposite is true. They seem to be wanting to be the "hippest kid on the block" while forgetting their roots...except for the live action from animation movement, of course, which they have already run into the ground after only a couple of movies.
    I think the problem is a complete lack of focus and ingenuity. They brought in Marvel and Star Wars, not realizing that those brands had the ability to dilute the original Disney product. Pixar worked better, of course, but that's largely because Pixar was always based on a Disney creative design.
    All in all, Disney today is an unfocused mess, in all of their divisions, and the bottom line is beginning to show it. They desperately need new leadership before it's too late.
    "There's a great big beautiful tomorrow shining at the end of every day..."

    1973- Disneyland
    1981- WDW- OS
    1991- WDW- OS
    1995- WDW- CBR
    2000- WDW- DLR
    2001- WDW- ASM
    2009- WDW- POFQ
    2010 (November)-WDW POR
    2015 (December...with the grandkids)WDW ASM
    2019- WDW- POR

  14. Thanks texas211 thanked for this post
  15. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Fort Worth, Tx
    Posts
    1,949
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stu29573 View Post
    Current Disney content has become...well...bad. It's almost as if we've gone back to the late 70's/ early 80's, when the company was largely adrift. At that time they were afraid to do anything "edgy" or "current." Now it seems like, in some ways, the opposite is true. They seem to be wanting to be the "hippest kid on the block" while forgetting their roots...except for the live action from animation movement, of course, which they have already run into the ground after only a couple of movies.
    I think the problem is a complete lack of focus and ingenuity. They brought in Marvel and Star Wars, not realizing that those brands had the ability to dilute the original Disney product. Pixar worked better, of course, but that's largely because Pixar was always based on a Disney creative design.
    All in all, Disney today is an unfocused mess, in all of their divisions, and the bottom line is beginning to show it. They desperately need new leadership before it's too late.

    Exactly! I thought I was alone in this. In my mind, Marvel and SW, are acquisitions. Not in the same breath as the other movies. For those, I'll need to be continually wowed to keep me interested. Nostaliga, and that "feel good" attitude is what I go for. I come back for Jungle Cruise, POTC, Living w/ the Land, BTMRR etc, I enjoy family innovations like Monster's Inc (at the time), Nemo the Musical, Soarin, 7 Dwarfs, TestTrack. So I can enjoy new. But to try and do all of these thrills, or Star Wars this or that, or too much of any movie (Frozen, Guardians,) then I do go, why?
    ===================

    2016 POR
    2015 CS
    2014 WDW-Offsite
    2014 Disneyland-offsite
    2014 CBR
    2013 Dolphin
    2012 POR
    2012 WDW-Offsite
    2011 ASMusic, POR

    1998 Dixie Landings
    1990's, Dixie Landings, Misc Offsite

  16. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    6,473
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    My granddaughter likes Moana. There isn't too much other Disney stuff that keeps her attention. She loves Trolls, Sesame Street, etc. Disney just isn't a big part of her world, which kind've makes me sad. At the same time though, I don't want to watch what they are putting out now either. The last stuff I saw was entirely too cheesy.
    Be still and know that I am God - Psalm 46:10

    Stops on my quest to visit all 50 states
    AL, AK, AZ, CA, FL, GA, KS, KY, LA, MS, MO, MT, ND, NJ, NV, NM, NY, NC, ND, OK, OR, PA, TN, TX, UT, VA, WA and WV.

  17. Likes Tekneek liked this post
  18. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Bethlehem, GA
    Posts
    3,083
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cinderelley View Post
    My granddaughter likes Moana.
    That is the only movie Disney has released over the past few years that we have watched more than once.

  19. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Huntsville, Alabama
    Posts
    1,151
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cinderelley View Post
    My granddaughter likes Moana. There isn't too much other Disney stuff that keeps her attention. She loves Trolls, Sesame Street, etc. Disney just isn't a big part of her world, which kind've makes me sad. At the same time though, I don't want to watch what they are putting out now either. The last stuff I saw was entirely too cheesy.
    Their TV shows are super cheesy, over the top corny. I can't stand for the Disney Channel to be on our TV because they have been using the exact same laugh track in their shows for 30 years and they use it liberally, including parts that frankly aren't really funny. It has gotten to the point all I hear is the laugh track and it makes my skin crawl.

  20. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Fort Worth, Tx
    Posts
    1,949
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tekneek View Post
    That is the only movie Disney has released over the past few years that we have watched more than once.
    Yeah, one of our favorites. But, I like Planes 2 quite a bit. The background visuals and elements are great in both. Plus I'm Asian/pacific islander, so its a nice connection.
    ===================

    2016 POR
    2015 CS
    2014 WDW-Offsite
    2014 Disneyland-offsite
    2014 CBR
    2013 Dolphin
    2012 POR
    2012 WDW-Offsite
    2011 ASMusic, POR

    1998 Dixie Landings
    1990's, Dixie Landings, Misc Offsite

  21. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    INTERCOT, U.S.A.
    Posts
    31,936
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tekneek View Post
    I suppose these decisions make sense in the short term, but I continue to wonder just how far Disney can ride on their reputation. I had been a Disney nut, but largely now my 4 children barely watch anything from Disney. There is one movie, Moana, from the past 3 years that they have watched more than once. Sometimes they want to watch The Disney Channel, but most of the time they never watch, listen, or even mention Disney properties. I imagine that, as everything related to Disney becomes more exclusive, that more people will begin to grow up without going to a park or seeing much Disney content. I wonder what the long term consequences of that might be, but the current executives will have golden parachuted out of the plane by then.
    Wow ... I normally agree with you on most things, but on this I have a very different point of view. I'm actually quite shocked, though, to see how many people agreed with you so maybe I'm off base I dunno.

    I've viewed the last five to ten years of Disney animation as something of a renaissance for them. In fact, where it used to be that Pixar's animation offerings were head and shoulders better than Disney's, I almost feel as though that has flipped. WDFA has had some AMAZING films in the last few years. I mean Frozen is a masterpiece and is only the highest grossing animated feature of all time. Moana was a gem, as well. My kids (ages 7-15) absolutely adore these films and watch them constantly. In between those two was Zootopia, which is another fantastic film that my kids (and my wife and I, as well) were obsessed with for a year after it came out. And Big Hero 6 was also a terrific film. I'd submit you'd be hard pressed to find four Disney animated features in a row that were of this quality at any time in their entire history.

    As far as the Disney Channel content, all of my kids grew up almost exclusively on Playhouse Disney/Disney Junior and then graduated to the Disney Channel. The pre-school shows have been excellent for decades, but I'll admit the tweener/teen shows on The Disney Channel are a little corny. But then again I'm not the target audience and my kids and all their friends are obsessed with like Good Luck Charlie and shows like that.

    I'll slam Disney for a lot of things, but honestly I don't think their content output has ever been stronger.
    Ian O
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

    Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! 0

    Next trip:

    April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

    Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

  22. Thanks Tekneek thanked for this post
    Likes Tekneek, Mendelson liked this post
  23. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Bethlehem, GA
    Posts
    3,083
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    I've viewed the last five to ten years of Disney animation as something of a renaissance for them. In fact, where it used to be that Pixar's animation offerings were head and shoulders better than Disney's, I almost feel as though that has flipped. WDFA has had some AMAZING films in the last few years. I mean Frozen is a masterpiece and is only the highest grossing animated feature of all time. Moana was a gem, as well. My kids (ages 7-15) absolutely adore these films and watch them constantly. In between those two was Zootopia, which is another fantastic film that my kids (and my wife and I, as well) were obsessed with for a year after it came out. And Big Hero 6 was also a terrific film. I'd submit you'd be hard pressed to find four Disney animated features in a row that were of this quality at any time in their entire history.
    Frozen was 2013. I liked Big Hero 6, but I was the only one of the six of us. Zootopia was not bad, but it was one-and-done 'round here.

    I won't deny that we might be outliers, but so are many of our friends. We used to have group outings to see the newest Disney/Pixar films, almost nobody is interested these days.

    My children (ranging from 4 - 16) almost never watch the Disney content that is already on Netflix/Hulu (they won't miss it when it is gone, clearly). I realize Disney is still massively successful, but it feels like something might be changing. I'm sure my kids would have a good time if we dragged them to WDW again, but they aren't asking us to go. They regularly ask about the possibility of going to Universal. We've actually begun re-homing portions of our Disney movie collection.

    I still contend that a Disney streaming service that unlocks the entire vault will instantly dominate the streaming space. I suspect they're going to play the small, safe, predictable game and expect premium service subscription fees for it.

  24. #17
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    879
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Wow ... I normally agree with you on most things, but on this I have a very different point of view. I'm actually quite shocked, though, to see how many people agreed with you so maybe I'm off base I dunno. I'll slam Disney for a lot of things, but honestly I don't think their content output has ever been stronger.
    Gotta agree with Ian. My son was born in 2010 and the stuff released just since he was born I think has been tremendous.

    We own probably 40 disney movies (not counting Pixar) and paid for those all legitimately (like suckers!). Add in another 12 or so Pixar movies....I'd rather have paid for the opportunity to stream all that rather than collecting blu rays over time. If you assume $15 per disc I've bought, that's over $750. It would take a while to match that with a subscription (depending on what they charge, of course)...and new content will continue to be added (more discs I would have to buy). I don't mind this.

    BTW, anyone want to buy about 50 DVDs/blu rays? Priced to move!
    "You used all the glue on purpose!"

  25. Likes Tekneek liked this post
  26. #18
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Bethlehem, GA
    Posts
    3,083
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mendelson View Post
    BTW, anyone want to buy about 50 DVDs/blu rays? Priced to move!
    You should wait until the details come out.

  27. Likes Mendelson liked this post
  28. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Bethlehem, GA
    Posts
    3,083
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I did not notice that Disney had cut the price on DisneyLife (their U.K. streaming service) in half since the launch. If they bring that over at about the same price, $7 - $8 a month, it won't be too bad. Not interesting to me if they don't plus out the library, but would be more competitive than what they launched with.

  29. #20
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Fort Worth, Tx
    Posts
    1,949
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    That did remind me, we do like the Disney nature films.
    ===================

    2016 POR
    2015 CS
    2014 WDW-Offsite
    2014 Disneyland-offsite
    2014 CBR
    2013 Dolphin
    2012 POR
    2012 WDW-Offsite
    2011 ASMusic, POR

    1998 Dixie Landings
    1990's, Dixie Landings, Misc Offsite

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

 
Company
Advertising
Guest Relations
Community
Discussion Boards
Podcast
Newsletter
Shop
Social
Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube
Pinterest
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Enter your email address below to receive our newsletter:
INTERCOT Logo PRIVACY STATEMENT / DISCLAIMER | DISCUSSION BOARD RULES
Since 1997 INTERCOT - a Levelbest Communications Website. This is not an official Disney website.
> Levelbest Network Site