Quantcast Tron Lightcycles to Replace Tomorrowland Speedway? - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

I understand everyone's thoughts on this....

I must say however, there is nothing like the first time your child gets to take one of those cars out alone or can steer and push the pedal on their own. So fun.

No matter what happens, I am glad I got to have this experience with both my kids.

Short story:

We are a family of 4. My daughter is the older and she was riding with her daddy. I think my son was riding on his own although he is the younger of the two which left me to drive my own car. So, the 'deal' was this. If my daughter could drive without hitting the rails, she would get ________. I don't know what the prize was, but she was doing real well until she looked ahead to me and saw me hitting the rails and getting knocked all over and then got tickled at me. I don't know how well that story translates, but we have laughed so much over that.
    Carrie

CBR: 2/21-2/25/17
    POR: 6/4-6/11/16
    POFQ: 11/15-11/19/15
    8/28-9/1/14 -DL-Dumbo 19.3 C2C
    POR: 1/7-1/14/14 -Dopey 48.6
    POR: 6/11-6/17/13
    ASMu: 1/11-1/15/13 -1st Full 26.2
    ASMu: 9/22-9/28/11
    ASMu: 6/7-6/13/11
    Pop: 1/30-2/6/10
    Pop: 2/1-2/7/09
    Pop: 1/08
    ASMu: 05/06
    Off-site: 12/93

2. Likes disneycutie165, John, BrerGnat liked this post
  3.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

What if I were to tell you, yes all will be revealed this weekend, but the info provided here is wrong? What if I were to tell you Tron is NOT replacing the Speedway? What if I were to tell you Tron WILL be going in behind the Speedway, and the speedway gets a theme overhaul?????????

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

5. Likes cer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I can believe that. But inside or outside of the railroad track? Or both?

Steve
    First visit: Disneyland, July 17, 1955 (well, somebody had to be there on opening day!)

Most Recent Visit:
    Disneyland - June 21-25, 2017
    WDW - Sep 22 - Oct 5, 2019
    Next up: WDW - May 9 - 16, 2020 at Riviera!
    Dec 5 - 16, 2020 at Poly

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by disneycutie165 View Post
    I have been to Disney 7 times and have never had even the slightest interest in the Speedway. And this is coming from someone who LOVED the Autobahn cars at Busch Gardens here in VA. However, if I am not mistaken, is Test Track not Tron themed?
    Nope. Test Track is themed to be a futuristic test facility for cars of the future (Sponsored by GM of course!). People make the comparison to Tron because there is a lot of neon and glowing stuff in Test Track, but it definitely has nothing to do with the premise of Tron or what Tron is about.
    ~ Carolyn ~ aka "CANADA!"
    Every year since 1979! Annual Passholder in CANADA!

* Old Key West
    * Saratoga Springs
    * Boardwalk
    * Coronado Springs
    * Contemporary & Bay Lake Tower
    * Caribbean Beach
    * Port Orleans Riverside
    * Fort Wilderness
    * Pop Century
    * All Star Music Movies & Sports

8. Thanks DizneyFreak2002 thanked for this post
    Likes DizneyFreak2002 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyFreak2002 View Post
    What if I were to tell you, yes all will be revealed this weekend, but the info provided here is wrong? What if I were to tell you Tron is NOT replacing the Speedway? What if I were to tell you Tron WILL be going in behind the Speedway, and the speedway gets a theme overhaul?????????
    What if I told you I think that would be a WAY cooler idea! But logistically speaking, I think Fangorn is on the right "track" (heheh see what I did there?). It would need to sit outside of the railroad track, which maybe would work. There is a huge body of water back there, but there is a small patch of land directly behind Space Mountain (just looking at Google Earth).
    ~ Carolyn ~ aka "CANADA!"
    Every year since 1979! Annual Passholder in CANADA!

* Old Key West
    * Saratoga Springs
    * Boardwalk
    * Coronado Springs
    * Contemporary & Bay Lake Tower
    * Caribbean Beach
    * Port Orleans Riverside
    * Fort Wilderness
    * Pop Century
    * All Star Music Movies & Sports

10. Likes DizneyFreak2002 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by disneycutie165 View Post
    I have been to Disney 7 times and have never had even the slightest interest in the Speedway. And this is coming from someone who LOVED the Autobahn cars at Busch Gardens here in VA. However, if I am not mistaken, is Test Track not Tron themed?

I totally agree with Stitch being taken down. I just home Disney does not turn into a thrill-ride zone. Definitely not worth the money as a thrill-avoider.
    Test Track is non theme per se like Tron. Its a futuristic testing area. That being said, it does have that color look.

Stitch being turned into another restroom would be an improvement. If they are going to do something more exciting, I'm a big fan of the Ratatouille technology (like spiderman or transformers at universal). A large sprectrum can ride. Short, Tall, big, skinny, old and young, in general, can ride those.

Also, reading through the comments, I didn't realize there was a lack of love for Monsters.
    ===================

2016 POR
    2015 CS
    2014 WDW-Offsite
    2014 Disneyland-offsite
    2014 CBR
    2013 Dolphin
    2012 POR
    2012 WDW-Offsite
    2011 ASMusic, POR

1998 Dixie Landings
    1990's, Dixie Landings, Misc Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyFreak2002 View Post

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
    Wouldn't surprise me - as I said in post three (look it up - lol) - nothing is confirmed till it's confirmed. And for once, I don't have any inside info on this
    John - aka. The Master Control Program
    Owner, Chairman & Chief Imagination Officer - INTERCOT

13. Likes DizneyFreak2002 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fangorn View Post
    I can believe that. But inside or outside of the railroad track? Or both?

Steve
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    What if I told you I think that would be a WAY cooler idea! But logistically speaking, I think Fangorn is on the right "track" (heheh see what I did there?). It would need to sit outside of the railroad track, which maybe would work. There is a huge body of water back there, but there is a small patch of land directly behind Space Mountain (just looking at Google Earth).
    Fangorn, outside the WWRR train tracks... There isn't enough room inside the tracks... That is where the Speedway is...

Buttercup, not sure what happens to the body of water, but you are on the right "track" hehe... behind the Speedway, next to Space Mountain... And not swallowing the water there, that I know of anyway... Dunno what construction will consist of and if that water affects the area to be built on in any way.... But yes, it would be in between the WWRR tracks and the road you can drive on behind Space Mountain...

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Wouldn't surprise me - as I said in post three (look it up - lol) - nothing is confirmed till it's confirmed. And for once, I don't have any inside info on this
    And please, let's remember what John said!!!!! Plans can change... As it stands now D23 should, and let me stress SHOULD, have plenty of announcements for WDW... There are at least 10 announcements I know of which can be revealed this weekend... This is one of them.... Now, between today and Saturday plenty can change...

But as it stands now, these are the plans I am aware of...

Oh let me also state I have no idea where the queue line will start... I'm not privy to that info LOL....
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    You must follow the same people on Twitter that I do.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

I would hate to see the Speedway go simply because when we took our grandkids a couple of years ago, the only ride my granddaughter specifically wanted to ride was the cars. She loved them. That being said, she was four and probably has already outgrown it.
    I'm not thrilled (pun intended) with a 60mph launch coaster. I hate R&RC. I live less than 30min away from Six Flags Over Texas, and I saw a wonderful theme park turn into an unthemed thrill mess in just a few years. I'd hate to see that trend repeated.
    "There's a great big beautiful tomorrow shining at the end of every day..."

1973- Disneyland
    1981- WDW- OS
    1991- WDW- OS
    1995- WDW- CBR
    2000- WDW- DLR
    2001- WDW- ASM
    2009- WDW- POFQ
    2010 (November)-WDW POR
    2015 (December...with the grandkids)WDW ASM
    2019- WDW- POR

Post Thanks / Like

Typically, I am not a fan of removing an existing to replace with a new one, especially when it is one that has been there for a very long time. However, I have never cared for the speedway. Even as a kid, I can remember saying how bad the cars were. They are slow and I mean slow and almost impossible to drive without banging the rails. They are not fun even for an 8 year old. When I finally got to drive one myself as a kid, I was already driving riding lawn mowers that would blow the doors off of those cars and also drove a lot better and easier and I even had a go kart that would move pretty good and do donuts so the speedway has always been rather mundane to me. My kids always wanted to ride when they were too small to drive and wanted to drive so bad but once they got big enough and drove them a couple of times they said they didn't like them for the exact same reasons I never liked them. The speedway could go away and it would not bother me one bit.

Post Thanks / Like

That's funny...I was thinking "outside the track" too! That should definitely be some sort of Disney-ism?
    Beth & David

09/82 Treehouse Villas, 06/86 BVP, 10/95 CBR, 10/99 DI, 08/03 PORS, 10/05 POP, 11/06 AKL, 09/09 POLY, 10/10 Wonder, 05/11 Dream/PORS, 08/13 POLY, 11/13 GF, 04/15 POLY, 11/15 BLT, 11/16 Aulani, 03/17 BLT, 08/18 BLT, 07/19 AKL, 06/21 BLT

Post Thanks / Like

I hope this is true! I would love to get the Tron ride
    Cruises:
    Feb 12-16, 2012 (Dream), Oct 20-27, 2012 (Fantasy Eastern), Sept 8-12, 2013 (Dream) Jan 20-24, 2014 (Magic) Sept 14-18, 2015 (Dream) Sept 25-29, 2017 (Dream) Sept 22-29, 2018 (Fantasy Eastern) Sept 23-27, 2019 (Dream)

Post Thanks / Like

Will they serve drinks out of upside down frisbees?
    ===================

2016 POR
    2015 CS
    2014 WDW-Offsite
    2014 Disneyland-offsite
    2014 CBR
    2013 Dolphin
    2012 POR
    2012 WDW-Offsite
    2011 ASMusic, POR

1998 Dixie Landings

21. Likes baldburke liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My husband and kids loved the Speedway back when the kids were little. I never participated, though. The exhaust smell gave me a headache. I won't mind seeing it go, but I do see the point of those who want it to stay for sentimental reasons. The Tron concept art looks really intriguing. I'd definitely ride it. On a side note, I'm a ride person. I'll ride just about anything, so it's interesting that the only two rides I can't do are in the Magic Kingdom. The Tomorrowland Speedway, and Astro Orbiter. I can ride Rockin' Roller Coaster, Expedition Everest, and Mission Space (I think my son and I are the only people who love this ride) multiple times in a row...but...the Astro Orbiter absolutely terrifies me. Go figure...
    Nice work, pal.

Post Thanks / Like

I believe execs from GM saw Tron and told Disney they wanted something that looked along the same lines.
    Adding another e-ticket to the Magic Kingdom will be a huge help to some of the lines around the park, but is it also a possibility that Space Mountain goes down for a lengthy refurb after this is up and running?
    Caribbean Beach '91
    Dixie Landings '96
    Coronado Springs '11
    Kidani Village '15

Post Thanks / Like

Good grief! Will Disney please leave the Classic's alone??!!!! I'm a family with little kids..and this is BY FAR their favorite ride!!! Let's be honest...Tron?!!!! Ya cuz that was a blockbuster hit :-??? If they must bring Tron over..EPCOT could use some more rides! Or ya...get rid of Stitch..cuz that's NEVER being used, whereas Speedway always has long waits and is a favorite!!! ...I have so much more I could (scream) say ...but mostly it's: PLEASE DON'T TAKE IT AWAY!!!!
    Raising a Disney Family the best way I know how...takin' them ALL the time! :-)
    Fav Ride = Soarin'
    Fav Park = ...uh all of them?
    Fav Character = Minnie Mouse
    ~ One shoe can change your life ~ Cinderella

25. Likes BrerGnat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SunnyLee View Post
    Let's be honest...Tron?!!!! Ya cuz that was a blockbuster hit :-??? If they must bring Tron over..EPCOT could use some more rides!
    It's not a blockbuster, but it's a cult classic (talking the original, not the more recent sequel).

Let's face it, the TRON Light Cycles ride would be AMAZING. And the Tomorrowland Speedway is anything but. It's not fit for anyplace called "Tomorrowland", and it's quite the opposite of a speedway. As others have stated, it doesn't move people, it's loud, it has been outdated for decades, and it's more frustrating to drive than it is enjoyable. I'd be all for keeping it if they completely overhauled it and gave it electric vehicles with a new theme. But barring that, I would volunteer to give the first swing of the sledgehammer to start knocking it down. It is the biggest waste of space in all of DisneyWorld. Everyone hates on Stitch's Great Escape, but let's face it...the audio-animatronics are amazing, at least. There is some redeeming quality, even if it's only on a technical level. I can't make the same argument for the Speedway. And while I am a sentimental man, I don't think that keeping something just because it's a classic is a valid argument. I would gladly tear down the Country Bears and the Tiki Room as well. OK, i'd actually like to see the Tiki Room get made into a Polynesian restaurant like Walt originally envisioned. But that's not going to happen.
    2002 - 2022: 20+ visits (POR, BW, All Stars, VWL, CSR, BLT, BC, SSR, CB, Dolphin, OKW, Poly, offsite x8)
    DL - 1996, 2019
    Next up - January 2023 short trip! We just want to try that 50th Anniversary chocolate monstrosity at Mexico!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azcavalier View Post
    It's not a blockbuster, but it's a cult classic (talking the original, not the more recent sequel).

It is the biggest waste of space in all of DisneyWorld. Everyone hates on Stitch's Great Escape, but let's face it...the audio-animatronics are amazing, at least.
    Now that would be a thread.. Biggest waste of space (speedway). But, it'd be hard pressed to beat Stitch or WOL pavilion. Its too bad the dumbo area was already put in, that would stretch out Tomorrowland.

I'd like some sort of flying theme of the Tomorrowland movie to be installed.

As far as the electric car idea, its too bad they couldn't do a Formula E theme.

I just like something that fits for everyone. To me, that is Disney. Thrills are for Six Flags, or even IOA/Universal. Thats the one thing I really dont like at Sea World, very few non thrill rides. And they need them without the killer whale show. Tron, like the new Avatar ride, has a lot of limitations, and I dont like that. Especially at the MK. Now if they threw in some Tron cars, to accommodate more people, and be more accessible, i'd be cool with that.
    ===================

2016 POR
    2015 CS
    2014 WDW-Offsite
    2014 Disneyland-offsite
    2014 CBR
    2013 Dolphin
    2012 POR
    2012 WDW-Offsite
    2011 ASMusic, POR

1998 Dixie Landings

Post Thanks / Like

I would be thrilled if the Speedway got the ax. I don't get that ride. It does not fit into Tomorrowland and there is nothing unique about it. You can find a drive your own car ride at every amusement park or state fair. Plus, it takes up a huuuuge plot of land.

I've never seen Tron, but the ride looks absolutely amazing. And, as crazy as it sounds, MK could really use another E-Ticket attraction. And it's ok for MK to have an actual thrill ride.

I am so pumped about this weekend. It seems like it could be a "the empire strikes back" moment to Universal if all these rumors turn out to be true for attractions. Maybe Disney is finally about to dust off Mickey's checkbook and give us new and exciting attractions.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: