Quantcast where to stay

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Thread: where to stay

Post Thanks / Like

Default where to stay

I'm planning a stay end of may (after memorial day) for my 10 year old daughter and myself. My family normally stays at Poly but finances dictate something more affordable this time. I'm considering Port Orleans-FQ, All Star music or possibly stretching budget to Wilderness Lodge. My main concern is transportation between parks. Which is the best in your opinion. I don't want to be waiting forever for buses. Thanks
    1978 offsite
    1987 offsite
    1994 GF (honeymoon)
    1997 CBR
    2002 Poly first trip with boys
    Dec 2005 Poly concierge
    June 2007 Poly Concierge just me and my DS (thanks hubby!)
    May 2012 first trip with our princess!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

We like POR, and POFQ isn't bad. You can take buses to the parks, and boats to Disney Springs.
    Swan/Dolphin, you can take boats to DHS and Epcot, which is really nice. The hotel is just okay, though the restaurants are pretty good.

The values aren't my thing. We didn't have any sort of good experience with that.
    ===================

2016 POR
    2015 CS
    2014 WDW-Offsite
    2014 Disneyland-offsite
    2014 CBR
    2013 Dolphin
    2012 POR
    2012 WDW-Offsite
    2011 ASMusic, POR

1998 Dixie Landings
    1990's, Dixie Landings, Misc Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

We love French Quarter. It is a small intimate resort. We have never had any problems with transportation from here. WEW have not tried the new food court. It was under construction when we were there last September. I like being able to go over to POR to use the pool or to eat. We also enjoy the boats to Disney Springs

Post Thanks / Like

I'd go with your choice to stretch the budget at The Wilderness Lodge. We usually stay at The Beach Club, or Poly, but The Wilderness Lodge is where we stay when we want to spend a little less. Great resort with fun theming and we've never had any transportation issues, there.

Like texas211, values aren't our thing. We, too, haven't had any good experience with them.
    Nice work, pal.

Wmsbrg, VA (12 hours & 22 minutes from WDW!)
    Post Thanks / Like

POR is beautiful, and we truly love it! However, the WL is an awesome experience in and of itself. If you can manage to stretch your budget a little further and stay there I highly recommend it. It's close enough to MK and the convenience of taking a boat over a bus is much nicer. There are also some things that come with WL that don't come with other resorts - you can watch the Light parade on the water at night from your resort, and Whispering Canyon restaurant is a must! I recommend both POR & WL but really would recommend WL just for the experience, even if you only stay there this one time.
    "When hinges creak in doorless chambers... and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls.. whenever candlelights flicker... where the air is deathly still... that is the time when ghosts are present... practicing their terror with ghoulish delight."

Post Thanks / Like

The Poly or BWI are my family's favorites but prices have skyrocketed to where we just can't justify the $'s.

We like POFQ and Port Orleans but last trip my wife and I stayed at Pop with a "preferred room location". We were very worried about the busses and sure enough, on day 1 when headed to MK the line was incredible! However, we were pleasantly surprised when almost immediately 3 then 4 busses were called and the entire snaking line was boarded in under 10 minutes. This happened several times on our trip so we actually ended up waiting less time for busses than at moderates or deluxe! A very unexpected and wonderful surprise!
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

Keeping in mind that my tastes could be completely opposite of yours since I really don't like the Poly, I would avoid All Star Music unless your daughter really loves music. Pop is one of my favorite resorts, but I didn't really like the All Stars. I think Port Orleans is a lovely resort and plan on staying in the French Quarter for a week next year.
    I would like to stay at Wilderness Lodge some time with my oldest son. He was in the ceremonial guard in the Navy, and I just want to do the flag family with him to see him do it. (Completely selfish of me, I know. He probably never wants to handle another flag again. :P)
    Have you considered Animal Kingdom Lodge? Many 10 year old girls I know love animals, and I think it is priced similarly to Wilderness Lodge.
    I'll meet you at the Rainbow Bridge.

Post Thanks / Like

You'll be a Disney! What could be better than that? We didn't like the Poly when we stayed there. Do like the value resorts as it allows us to visit more often because we spend less $$.

WL & AKL are deluxe resorts without the higher price. That's a good thing.

As far as buses go we've waited for over 30 minutes at AKL. It all depends on when the bus/buses head back from the parks. Stayed at value resorts and sometimes the wait can be 2 minutes or 20. It all depends.

It's Disney....have a great time
    First WDW Trip 1984
    30+ Trips since 1984
    Disneyland 4 Visits
    Disneyland Paris 2010
    40th Wedding Anniversary December 2013
    Disney Cruises 2: Magic 2005, Fantasy 2012
    Last Trip November 2019

Post Thanks / Like

POFQ is a great resort. No problem with buses. While I have not stayed there consider Art of Animation I here those are great and they have a good food court.

Post Thanks / Like

If you're used to staying in the larger rooms at the Poly, all the rooms at the resorts you mention will seem pretty small. If you can swing the Wilderness Lodge, that would be my recommendation, especially for ease of transportation (the boat across to the MK is a nice option). Not a fan of the All Stars.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks! Not too worried about room size since we chose Poly because our kids were little at the time and needed to come and go from parks. Since my daughter is older figured we would be in park for longer periods of time and not need room so much.
    1978 offsite
    1987 offsite
    1994 GF (honeymoon)
    1997 CBR
    Dec 2005 Poly concierge

Post Thanks / Like

Thought about offsite? Can get some great deals, else, more for your buck. Might save a few on food.
    ===================

2016 POR
    2015 CS
    2014 WDW-Offsite
    2014 Disneyland-offsite
    2014 CBR
    2013 Dolphin
    2012 POR
    2012 WDW-Offsite
    2011 ASMusic, POR

1998 Dixie Landings
    1990's, Dixie Landings, Misc Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

We loved both the Wilderness Lodge and POFQ.

Although I wouldn't hesitate to stay at POFQ again, but if I had a choice and could swing the difference comfortably I would stay at WL, Especially with copper canyon now open.

Recent Trips:
    -OKW Aug 16 - Aug 23 / Royal Pacific Resort Universal Studios Aug 23 - Aug 26, 2013
    -Universal Studios Hard Rock Hotel Nov 14 - Nov 18, 2014
    -Saratoga Springs June 11 -18 2016

Next Trip:
    -Port Orleans Riverside / Saratoga Springs Sept 8 - 17, 2017

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone for your help. I actually was given a gift in order for my daughter and I to enjoy our mom/daughter trip and we have booked a room at the Polynesian villas. We are so looking forward to our special trip! Now I will be looking at all the tips you great people have posted!
    1978 offsite
    1987 offsite
    1994 GF (honeymoon)
    1997 CBR
    Dec 2005 Poly concierge

16. Likes jennsky liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kangan2roos2 View Post
    Thanks everyone for your help. I actually was given a gift in order for my daughter and I to enjoy our mom/daughter trip and we have booked a room at the Polynesian villas. We are so looking forward to our special trip! Now I will be looking at all the tips you great people have posted!
    If you haven't tried the Twilight Feast while staying at the Poly it's a must do for our family. For you and your daughter you just get one serving and you will eat for days! It's the exact food at Ohanas and is so very good!

Enjoy your trip!
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow!

18. Thanks kangan2roos2 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info Isabella
    1978 offsite
    1987 offsite
    1994 GF (honeymoon)
    1997 CBR
    Dec 2005 Poly concierge

20. Likes Isabella liked this post

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: