Quantcast flight question

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Thread: flight question

Post Thanks / Like

Default flight question

I have a question for those of you who are frequent flyers. When is the best time to purchase plane tickets? We are going to WDW in mid December. When should we start looking for tickets to get the best price?
    Thanks
    Diane

Past trips to WDW:
    12/12 CBR with free dining
    5/10 CBR with free dining
    4/09 CBR couples only trip for 20th anniv.
    9/08 Pop with free dining
    5/07 Pop
    4/05 Pop
    12/04 Pop
    4/04 Pop
    12/02 AS Sports
    4/02 AS Movies
    3/00 Ft. Wilderness Cabins

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

We got really good deals with Southwest last June for our end of the year trip

Post Thanks / Like

There isn't a "best" time that's applicable to everyone. Airfares are highly fluid and can change daily (or even more frequently) based on market, competition, demand and other factors. For Dec, 2017, you may have already missed the lowest fares for your market (or not).

I would start searching now if 2017 is the target, and keep looking daily to get an idea if there is any sort of movement happening. Find a fare that you're comfortable with and then buy the tickets.

Steve
    First visit: Disneyland, July 17, 1955 (well, somebody had to be there on opening day!)

Most Recent Visit:
    Disneyland - June 21-25, 2017
    WDW - Sep 22 - Oct 5, 2019
    Next up: WDW - May 9 - 16, 2020 at Riviera!
    Dec 5 - 16, 2020 at Poly

Post Thanks / Like

We fly American, so I'll compare and its sometimes a better deal to book a package (car, hotel, air) and sometimes not. So, no consistency. Don't forget to use AAA if you have it. That can have some good deals, or added savings.

But, I found earlier in the week and not later. Also, if you have any flexibility, flying Friday or Sat, is better than on Sundays. So, you'd be surprised by how much changing by a day at either end of your trip, might make a difference.
    ===================

2016 POR
    2015 CS
    2014 WDW-Offsite
    2014 Disneyland-offsite
    2014 CBR
    2013 Dolphin
    2012 POR
    2012 WDW-Offsite
    2011 ASMusic, POR

1998 Dixie Landings
    1990's, Dixie Landings, Misc Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

You can also try alternative airports. For example flying to Tampa and renting a car may be significantly cheaper than flying to Orlando international.
    "Welcome, Foolish Mortals..."

Post Thanks / Like

I fly Southwest out of Baltimore (BWI) and always try to book as soon as the dates for my trip open up on their schedule. I did this for my end of November trip and am saving over $60 from current costs for the same flights. IF they lower prices, I can always rebook and get credits on my account for my next flight (within one calendar year of original booking.)

Best bet is to 'shop around' until you can find flights/airlines/airports that fit your budget and schedule.
    -Bud

Walt Disney World:
    9/03 - CBR
    1/09 - BWV
    9/05; 2/07; 12/07; 9/08; 9/09; 9/10; 9/11; 12/13; 12/17; 4/18; 10/18, 4/23 - PC
    5/15 - POR
    1/22 - ASMO
    10/22 - ASMU

Disneyland: 12/15 - Paradise Pier Hotel

Next up: ???

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by homeschool mom View Post
    I have a question for those of you who are frequent flyers. When is the best time to purchase plane tickets? We are going to WDW in mid December. When should we start looking for tickets to get the best price?
    Thanks
    From East Central PA you fly from....?
    "You used all the glue on purpose!"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PopPhan View Post
    I fly Southwest out of Baltimore (BWI) and always try to book as soon as the dates for my trip open up on their schedule
    Actually, this is not a good practice with SW. Usually about 40-50 days out are when you'll find the best rates. You have to be diligent, and check frequently, but you can get some good rates from BWI - MCO.

For our May trip I was checking nearly every hour for a couple weeks and at about the 40-day point I booked flights back home (MCO to BWI) for $38 (a Saturday). Our flights down (on a Wed) were $64, also booked in the 40-50 day window. I suggest booking two one-ways vs. round trip.

But again, SW will play with fares (without announcing sales - I've literally seen fares for the same flight go from $130 in the AM to $100 in the afternoon, and back up to $130 in the PM) and so if you check pretty consistently starting at about 60 days out, you should be able to lock in low rates.

The ability to rebook the same flight at a cheaper fare, as you note, is a great SW benefit!
    "You used all the glue on purpose!"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mendelson View Post
    Actually, this is not a good practice with SW. Usually about 40-50 days out are when you'll find the best rates. You have to be diligent, and check frequently, but you can get some good rates from BWI - MCO.

For our May trip I was checking nearly every hour for a couple weeks and at about the 40-day point I booked flights back home (MCO to BWI) for $38 (a Saturday). Our flights down (on a Wed) were $64, also booked in the 40-50 day window. I suggest booking two one-ways vs. round trip.

But again, SW will play with fares (without announcing sales - I've literally seen fares for the same flight go from $130 in the AM to $100 in the afternoon, and back up to $130 in the PM) and so if you check pretty consistently starting at about 60 days out, you should be able to lock in low rates.

The ability to rebook the same flight at a cheaper fare, as you note, is a great SW benefit!
    Thanks for this info. I love Southwest but generally buy my ticket and then forget about it. I will have to start checking more often.
    I'll meet you at the Rainbow Bridge.

11. Likes Mendelson liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cinderelley View Post
    Thanks for this info. I love Southwest but generally buy my ticket and then forget about it. I will have to start checking more often.
    There are sites that will check you fare and alert you when the price drops, the one I use is yapta
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VWL Mom View Post
    There are sites that will check you fare and alert you when the price drops, the one I use is yapta
    Thank you
    I'll meet you at the Rainbow Bridge.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: