Quantcast POTC changes - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: POTC changes

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by texas211 View Post
    So to keep on topic, and to keep mods happy....
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by baldburke View Post
    Based on this then my guess would be that Splash Mountain is next on the list for a do-over? It's it better to acknowledge your imperfections rather than erase them?
    I never even thought of that when they said Splash was going down August 26th for rehab, hmmmm.
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VWL Mom View Post
    I never even thought of that when they said Splash was going down August 26th for rehab, hmmmm.
    I don't think there will be any real change made to Splash Mountain during the refurb. I would say that the racial overtones of the movie do not exist in the ride.
    Christine ºoº

Intercot Staff-Accommodations, Dining, Guests with Special Needs

Please support Intercot's Sponsors

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
    I don't think there will be any real change made to Splash Mountain during the refurb. I would say that the racial overtones of the movie do not exist in the ride.
    Oh they definitely do. But who cares. Its part of the song, the intention isn't there, and its still I think enjoyable.

However, for POTC, I like the idea of Shanghai POTC. I like those Ratouille style vehicles, similar to Spider Man and Transformers over at Universal. Just no more Tron cycles. They are way too small.

If Splash was to fall, put in a 2nd 7Dwarfs and cut that line down.
    ===================

2016 POR
    2015 CS
    2014 WDW-Offsite
    2014 Disneyland-offsite
    2014 CBR
    2013 Dolphin
    2012 POR
    2012 WDW-Offsite
    2011 ASMusic, POR

1998 Dixie Landings
    1990's, Dixie Landings, Misc Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think they are as obvious as you think to people who aren't familiar with certain regional customs, whereas an auction of women is a bit more obvious.

Anyway, I don't think the scene necessarily needs to be changed. I also don't think it is being changed solely for PC reasons. I think to make the ride more in line with the movie franchise, which is what they did in Shanghai.
    Christine ºoº

Intercot Staff-Accommodations, Dining, Guests with Special Needs

Please support Intercot's Sponsors

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mendelson View Post
    It's a fascinating phenomenon that we accept as normal the social mores that exist in the world that we are born into. We then are generally okay with the evolution of social norms until up through sometime maybe in our teens. But boy once we hit about 25 or 30, any further evolution becomes ridiculous.

Times and attitudes change, folks. And if you don't change - and maybe you don't want to - you're eventually going to be just as cringey as my loving and well-meaning grandfather when he uses words for African Americans, homosexuals, and people from the mid-east that I'm guessing (hoping) none of us would use in mixed company.

We rarely are able to see ourselves become that dinosaur.
    That is one way to look at it, but if you pretend like the past never existed, you cannot learn from the mistakes your forefathers made. In this ride, the "bad" people are the ones doing the "bad" things which teaches that they are bad. Say for instance, if we erased all inkling that slavery existed, at some point in the future, someone will get the idea to do it again without the knowledge that it is "bad". "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." George Santayana

Even your statement shows things with "once we hit 25 or 30". I am well over 30 and I do not feel that further evolution in and of itself becomes ridiculous. Also, commenting on words being used in mixed company. If I don't feel comfortable saying something in front of someone, I wouldn't say it in private either.

Perhaps it isn't about being cringey. It may be about seeing things from a different perspective that may be just as valid.
    I'll meet you at the Rainbow Bridge.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
    I don't think they are as obvious as you think to people who aren't familiar with certain regional customs, whereas an auction of women is a bit more obvious.

Anyway, I don't think the scene necessarily needs to be changed. I also don't think it is being changed solely for PC reasons. I think to make the ride more in line with the movie franchise, which is what they did in Shanghai.

I have no doubts the differences of perceptions have to do with a variety of factors including region, race, gender of those perceiving the events. One may perceive the issue as worse if they are a women, the other might be worse if they are a minority. Either way, don't care, shouldn't change it

Well, if they are changing it to be even more to be line w/ the movie is almost worst. Adding scenes to make it more like the movie, or tweaking more incidental aspects is one thing.. But, to me, this is like taking out the dog at the end, and putting in the monkey or something.

But, regardless, in POTC was going to be pulled altogether, are there any other ideas for its replacement?

Maybe an Indy ride? But something different than at DL. Ideas on that?
    ===================

2016 POR
    2015 CS
    2014 WDW-Offsite
    2014 Disneyland-offsite
    2014 CBR
    2013 Dolphin
    2012 POR
    2012 WDW-Offsite
    2011 ASMusic, POR

1998 Dixie Landings

Post Thanks / Like

So when is it going down for refurb and when will it be back up? I am going May 11 2018 and really wont go if its not opened? That IS our most favorite ride.

Post Thanks / Like

But, regardless, in POTC was going to be pulled altogether, are there any other ideas for its replacement?

Maybe an Indy ride? But something different than at DL. Ideas on that?
    Monsters Inc Coaster from the door scene!

11. Likes baldburke, disneycutie165 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cinderelley View Post
    Fantastic idea!
    Beth & David

09/82 Treehouse Villas, 06/86 BVP, 10/95 CBR, 10/99 DI, 08/03 PORS, 10/05 POP, 11/06 AKL, 09/09 POLY, 10/10 Wonder, 05/11 Dream/PORS, 08/13 POLY, 11/13 GF, 04/15 POLY, 11/15 BLT, 11/16 Aulani, 03/17 BLT, 08/18 BLT, 07/19 AKL, 06/21 BLT

Post Thanks / Like

How about using the Ratatouile technology, and make an Aladdin ride? Or maybe a trip, following multiple areas (Brave, Tangled, etc). THink Star Tours type trip, but instead randomly hit 2 different Disney movie areas..
    ===================

2016 POR
    2015 CS
    2014 WDW-Offsite
    2014 Disneyland-offsite
    2014 CBR
    2013 Dolphin
    2012 POR
    2012 WDW-Offsite
    2011 ASMusic, POR

1998 Dixie Landings

Wmsbrg, VA (12 hours & 22 minutes from WDW!)
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cinderelley View Post
    Oh I so love this idea. I have been saying since the movie came out that they need a ride like that!
    "When hinges creak in doorless chambers... and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls.. whenever candlelights flicker... where the air is deathly still... that is the time when ghosts are present... practicing their terror with ghoulish delight."

Post Thanks / Like

How would a Monster's Inc tie-in for any attraction fit in Adventureland?
    Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or imbeciles who really mean it - Mark Twain

16. Likes PopPhan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It wouldn't, but I'm not convinced that Disney really cares about that any more.

18. Likes texas211 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It's hard to see a classic change, but I have to add my own "WOW!" at some of the ugly comments here.

This is a great opportunity to share a favorite quote from a favorite author:

"I was reading a book (about interjections, oddly enough) yesterday which included the phrase “In these days of political correctness…” talking about no longer making jokes that denigrated people for their culture or for the colour of their skin. And I thought, “That’s not actually anything to do with ‘political correctness’. That’s just treating other people with respect.”

Which made me oddly happy. I started imagining a world in which we replaced the phrase “politically correct” wherever we could with “treating other people with respect”, and it made me smile.

You should try it. It’s peculiarly enlightening.

I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking “Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!”

—Neil Gaiman
    Susanne

20. Thanks Wayne, Terra thanked for this post
    Likes Wayne, Buttercup, Terra, Disney Doll liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

While I absolutely cannot entertain the idea of POTC going away, I would love to see a Tangled dark ride. :-)
    Susanne

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheVBs View Post
    It's hard to see a classic change, but I have to add my own "WOW!" at some of the ugly comments here.

This is a great opportunity to share a favorite quote from a favorite author:

"I was reading a book (about interjections, oddly enough) yesterday which included the phrase “In these days of political correctness…” talking about no longer making jokes that denigrated people for their culture or for the colour of their skin. And I thought, “That’s not actually anything to do with ‘political correctness’. That’s just treating other people with respect.”

Which made me oddly happy. I started imagining a world in which we replaced the phrase “politically correct” wherever we could with “treating other people with respect”, and it made me smile.

You should try it. It’s peculiarly enlightening.

I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking “Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!”

—Neil Gaiman
    And whenever I hear, "We wants the redhead," it makes me smile.

Look, and I mean this to everyone, A) this is just assuming the ride should go away, and what should replace it? b). Don't care what the scene is, the ride is perfect as is minus the existence of FP+. Well, actually it was perfect 20 years ago. I can live w/ the changes of the past to bring us as is, but now, I'm suggesting, as many are, that the ride has lost its mind (for whatever reason, PC, crazy person in charge, the magic 8 ball told them to do it, whatever).
    c) So, we can stop w/ the why we think it should stay, and the others giving "enlightened" nonsense.

What should replace it?

Tangled sounds good.

As I type this, lets close it Mods. This is shot to ....
    ===================

2016 POR
    2015 CS
    2014 WDW-Offsite
    2014 Disneyland-offsite
    2014 CBR
    2013 Dolphin
    2012 POR
    2012 WDW-Offsite
    2011 ASMusic, POR

1998 Dixie Landings

Post Thanks / Like

Saw a neat idea on twitter the other day. If the scene auctioning women off to pirates has to go away, what if it's just slightly altered? The auctioneer is trying to convince all the pirates that they should choose HIM to be their new captain. But, the redhead is now a pirate, sporting a sword and boots, maybe still showing a bit of *gasp* ankle, and the pirates yell WE WANTS THE REDHEAD! (not to force her to be their slave, but to be their captain!) I kind of like this because it's still the auctioneer convincing the crowd, they still can yell about their beloved redhead, but nobody is being sold into slavery.

I'm not quite ready to bulldoze the entire attraction if they decide to change it. After seeing that scene thousands of times since I was a kid, I feel like I never really thought about what actually was happening in that scene. Basically, I just felt like "Oh look the pirates think the redhead is hot" and left it at that. But when you really think about that scene, it is actually kind-of disturbing. Especially if you Put it in the context of rape and slavery. So I sort of see this from both sides. I'm as Disney-purist as you can get, but meh, maybe there's a compromise here with something equally visually stunning. As I say, I don't think it's time to plough it under and set up a Monsters Inc Coaster just yet.

These drunken pirates singing a catchy, jolly tune aren't meant to be hated as "bad men doing bad things". They're supposed to be loveable scamps with funny faces and slurred speech, wearing a stack of hats or sitting in the mud with some pigs. Real pirates are way scarier, if you're going to be historically accurate. So again, maybe there is a sort-of compromise to make both sides of this content?

Anyway, sorry to hijack your thread Texas211. If you'd like to know what ride I'd love to see in MK, and more specifically Adventureland, I wish they'd make some room for a Jungle Book dark ride!
    ~ Carolyn ~ aka "CANADA!"
    Every year since 1979! Annual Passholder in CANADA!

* Old Key West
    * Saratoga Springs
    * Boardwalk
    * Coronado Springs
    * Contemporary & Bay Lake Tower
    * Caribbean Beach
    * Port Orleans Riverside
    * Fort Wilderness
    * Pop Century
    * All Star Music Movies & Sports

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    Saw a neat idea on twitter the other day. If the scene auctioning women off to pirates has to go away, what if it's just slightly altered? The auctioneer is trying to convince all the pirates that they should choose HIM to be their new captain. But, the redhead is now a pirate, sporting a sword and boots, maybe still showing a bit of *gasp* ankle, and the pirates yell WE WANTS THE REDHEAD! (not to force her to be their slave, but to be their captain!) I kind of like this because it's still the auctioneer convincing the crowd, they still can yell about their beloved redhead, but nobody is being sold into slavery.

I'm not quite ready to bulldoze the entire attraction if they decide to change it. After seeing that scene thousands of times since I was a kid, I feel like I never really thought about what actually was happening in that scene. Basically, I just felt like "Oh look the pirates think the redhead is hot" and left it at that. But when you really think about that scene, it is actually kind-of disturbing. Especially if you Put it in the context of rape and slavery. So I sort of see this from both sides. I'm as Disney-purist as you can get, but meh, maybe there's a compromise here with something equally visually stunning. As I say, I don't think it's time to plough it under and set up a Monsters Inc Coaster just yet.

These drunken pirates singing a catchy, jolly tune aren't meant to be hated as "bad men doing bad things". They're supposed to be loveable scamps with funny faces and slurred speech, wearing a stack of hats or sitting in the mud with some pigs. Real pirates are way scarier, if you're going to be historically accurate. So again, maybe there is a sort-of compromise to make both sides of this content?

Anyway, sorry to hijack your thread Texas211. If you'd like to know what ride I'd love to see in MK, and more specifically Adventureland, I wish they'd make some room for a Jungle Book dark ride!
    I appreciate your idea. My view is, the whole idea of a pirates (killers, arsonists, rapists, etc) is by its very nature counter to the idea of (well if we fix the redhead scene its okay). So either leave it, or bulldoze. But your idea is the best alternative idea i've heard.

That being said, love the Jungle Book idea. The new live action film is our favorite re-imagined live action Disney film. Way better than Cinderella or Beauty.
    ===================

2016 POR
    2015 CS
    2014 WDW-Offsite
    2014 Disneyland-offsite
    2014 CBR
    2013 Dolphin
    2012 POR
    2012 WDW-Offsite
    2011 ASMusic, POR

1998 Dixie Landings

Post Thanks / Like

And whenever I hear, "We wants the redhead," it makes me smile.
    It makes me smile too! The whole ride makes me smile.

c) So, we can stop w/ the why we think it should stay, and the others giving "enlightened" nonsense.
    I promise not to drift from the topic from here on out, especially now that my enlightenment quota has been fulfilled for this week. Next week.... it's fair game again! LOL! Kidding. Probably.

Tangled sounds good.
    I don't know why, but it's that tavern scene and song that I can just so easily see being part of a dark ride. Not that there aren't other, more amazing elements they could include, but that scene would be a must for me. It would fit nicely space-wise in POTC as well. I think.
    Susanne

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: