Quantcast Scooter Rentals? Fit in a mini van? Guest Assistance?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Scooter Rentals? Fit in a mini van? Guest Assistance?

I am seeking a place to rent a scooter for our trip for my mother. Will a scooter be able to fit in the trunk of my mini van? Do they fold up somehow? We will be staying off property with her for a few days after a week at Disney with my MIL. She has never used a scooter before. I would just rent a wheelchair but I need to push a stroller as well.

She can walk a little and transfer to rides. She just can't walk all day or go up and down stairs very easily. She also can't stand for hours in lines.As long as a ride line is scooter friendly she will be fine. What do I do at rides like Peter Pan's Flight? I don't think that ride is accessible. Can the rest of us wait in line and then she can meet us at the back entrance somehow? I know she won't want to use guest assistance. That kind of makes things difficult. I don't want to make the wait times shorter but want to know that they would let her join the party after we have waited in line.

I don't think it will be a huge issue as her favorite rides probably won't have very long lines. She won't want to ride any of the roller coaster type rides. Her favorites are It's A Small World, Peter Pan's Flight, and Pirates of The Caribbean. She also loves The Great Movie Ride, Muppet Vision, Spaceship Earth, Living with the Land, and the ride formally known as Maelstrom.

Does anyone have firsthand scooter experience with those rides? This trip is mainly for her. We live overseas and she doesn't get a chance to see the grandkids much. They will have already had a week at the parks so we, are doing her favorites during the few days she is with us.
    Too many trips to count!
    Disneyland!
    DisneyWorld!
    Disneyland Paris!
    Coming soon Tokyo!
    [SIZE=4][/SIZE

I have stayed at: All Star Movies, All Star Music, Pop Century, Art of Animation, Port Orleans Riverside, Caribbean Beach Resort, Saratoga Springs Resort

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I can't answer anything specific about rides, as this coming trip will be our first with a scooter, my grandfather will be joining us. But we are renting from a company (I'm not sure if we can name a company that isn't listed as a sponsor of Intercot). that has portable scooters, they come apart it says" disassembles into five lightweight, easy to manage pieces," we are renting that as my parents want to take my grandfather to other places while we are there. When I spoke to someone at the company, the stated that it will fit into the trunk of a mini van.
    "You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you."
    ~Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

Your MIL sounds a lot like my Mom. She manages quite well in her daily life, but can't manage all of the walking at Disney, so we rent an ECV and it makes all of the difference. Without it, she couldn't come with us, with it, she has a good time.

Almost all of the rides are ECV line friendly, she can roll right up to the ride and get on. There are a couple that aren't, mainly in MK. For those (Winnie the Pooh/Pirates for example), they will have a wheelchair for the line you can use instead of the ECV. I think the new Peter Pan queue is ECV accessible, and then they have you load before the very last part of the line, which is still tight.

Spaceship Earth has an alternative loading area, you enter through the exit, and you'll enter the alternative waiting area (with a bench) and a CM will take people up in groups. Great Movie Ride you wait through the main queue, but skip the "movie room" since the switchbacks are too tight.

It is really super easy. For almost all of the rides you enter at the same point, and the CM at the front will let you know of anything you need to do differently. At the shows (Muppets, Philharmagic) there is a special area at the back of the theatre, and again the CM will direct you to it.

The thing that my Mom finds the hardest are the rides with a step, like Pirates, it's a small world, etc. Some of those are quite large steps and pretty tricky. We just help her, and she manages, although she always threatens to never go on it's a small world again, since it is so hard to get in and out of. For that one, and for the Mexico ride, we have her transfer to a wheelchair, on the wheelchair boat. (Same with Jungle Cruise, the accessible boat, so she doesn't have to manage the huge stairs!)

If the ECV you've rented comes apart, then yes, it will fit no problem. We've fit one into our hatchback KIA with no issues, Otherwise, it is too heavy, and probably too big. However, the ones that come apart often have less daily range, and may not last as long, so you may want to avoid them, unless you really need to use the car. If you are looking for somewhere to rent from, let me know and I can share my good and bad experiences over the years.

Have a great trip!
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

Has anyone had experience renting the scooters at the parks? I think we would most likely be staying off property as I will have already had an expensive stay on property with my in laws.

And just to clarify...we don't need any documentation to get her in the "accessible entrance"? Like I said...not looking to cut the lines just trying to have as normal experience at Disney as possible.

I think that as lost as we have a Fastpass she can probably stand in the lines I just don't think she can do it for 90+ minutes. I think anything 30 minutes or less she can handle.
    Last edited by disneynarula; 06-22-2017 at 03:59 PM. Reason: Clarify!
    Too many trips to count!
    Disneyland!
    DisneyWorld!
    Disneyland Paris!
    Coming soon Tokyo!
    [SIZE=4][/SIZE

I have stayed at: All Star Movies, All Star Music, Pop Century, Art of Animation, Port Orleans Riverside, Caribbean Beach Resort, Saratoga Springs Resort

Post Thanks / Like

Do NOT worry about "cutting lines"! This is something she is entitled to - and from my experience they don't require documentation beyond self reporting (I actually think under the Americans with Disabilities act they CAN'T - but I'm only Canadian so I may be wrong). I had to do it very briefly due to a temporary issue on my last trip, and I was treated SO well, and don't feel guilty at all that I got to 'cut lines' as otherwise I would not have been able to do much of anything at all. My family of three was allowed to go with me. Let them take care of her everyway they can so that you can all enjoy your trip to the fullest!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by disneynarula View Post
    And just to clarify...we don't need any documentation to get her in the "accessible entrance"? Like I said...not looking to cut the lines just trying to have as normal experience at Disney as possible.

I think that as lost as we have a Fastpass she can probably stand in the lines I just don't think she can do it for 90+ minutes. I think anything 30 minutes or less she can handle.
    1. Disney is very good at handling scooters. You will have no trouble using most everything while in a scooter. The CMs will help with directions on how go use the scooters though the lines. And if it happens to be an attraction that you need to get out of the scooter, ie Prirates of the Caribbean, they will be there to help you understand what to do.
    2. I would encourage your mom to stay on her scooter as much as possible. If you add up those 1/2 hour here 1/2 hour there she will get tired or possibly be in pain. There is nothing worse than "hitting the wall" and having to cut your Disney day short and only wanting to go back to your room.
    KAY

DVC MEMBER - OKW & HHI
    First trip to WDW - Dec, 2005
    Last visit to Disneyland - 2014

First trip to Disneyland - 1955

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mom2morgan View Post
    - but I'm only Canadian
    This statement had me cracking up. I love our neighbors to the north. So polite, keep your cities so clean, welcoming to visitors and a real sense of humor. Drop the "only", please.
    KAY

DVC MEMBER - OKW & HHI
    First trip to WDW - Dec, 2005
    Last visit to Disneyland - 2014

First trip to Disneyland - 1955

Post Thanks / Like

The last time I brought my mom I rented a scooter for her. I was told by the scooter company that it could come apart so that I could transport it. WOW! It was soooo heavy! It took two people to lift it. And it just about killed my back. I would not recommend doing this.

Julie
    º0º emerzmom º0º
    Disney Vacations:
    DL: 81,00,01,02,04,05,06,08
    WDW: 98,99,00,01,02,03(x2),04(x2),05,,07,09,11,12,13(x2 ),14,15,16
    Next trip Nov 2017

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: