Quantcast Construction Permits Filed for Potential Expansion at Epcot

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Construction Permits Filed for Potential Expansion at Epcot

Reedy Creek has filed Permit#: 48-00714-P with the South Florida Water Management District for a project titled Epcot Canal Modifications:

Quote Originally Posted by Permit#: 48-00714-P

Application #: 170515-17 Permit#: 48-00714-P Received Date: 15-May-2017
    Issuing Office: ORL/SFWMD Application Status: Initial Review
    Permit Type: Environmental Resource (Construction/Operation Modification) 30-Day Deadline: 14-Jun-2017
    Project Name: Epcot Canal Modifications Project Acres: 26.83
    Landuse(s): Commercial Location: Orange S30/T24/R28
    Receiving Body: Reedy Creek / Lake Russell

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 1249
Size:  20.2 KBName:  2.jpg
Views: 1246
Size:  20.4 KBName:  3.jpg
Views: 1165
Size:  74.4 KB
    The project's official purpose according to the permits is to:

Quote Originally Posted by Drainage Design Summary
    ... reconfigure the existing canal to provide a more-contiguous area for possible future changes to parking capacity and back of house areas. A spur of the existing canal is proposed to be filled
    so that a more developable area is provided.
    Although vague, the new 26.83 acre construction site appears to be a first step in some sort of expansion for Epcot.

Of note, the area outlined in blue appears to be a new structure that is being speculated (but not confirmed) to be a new show building:

Name:  4.jpg
Views: 1155
Size:  81.7 KB

The proximity of this mystery structure seems reasonably approachable from existing Guest areas and appears to explain the potential cause of the re-location of the existing canal.
    Figment! aka Jason ºoº
    INTERCOT STAFF
    News, Rumours & Imagineering
    Dining
    Vacations Beyond Disney

~It’s what us storytellers do; we restore order with imagination, we instill hope again and again~

~We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things~

2. Thanks VWL Mom, magicofdisney, Jeff thanked for this post
    Likes disneydave78, baldburke liked this post
  3.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Yup, must get Universe of Energy in on this trip. I'd wager Ellen and Bill's days are numbered.
    "One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation, right at the start of everything thats new, one little spark lights up for you!"

ºoº

Mom to our little Prince Everett and Princess Adelaide
    August 2020 Caribbean Beach!
    Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate.

Post Thanks / Like

Yea!!! Epcot needs some love ... and I'll take anything moving us in that direction.
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

For the first time in forever (I have hope for Epcot)! I hope it's something awesome.

Post Thanks / Like

They could have added the (almost) abandoned Wonders of Life pavilion to that permit. I realize it is used for 'events,' but it could be so much more.....
    -Bud

Walt Disney World:
    9/03 - CBR
    1/09 - BWV
    9/05; 2/07; 12/07; 9/08; 9/09; 9/10; 9/11; 12/13; 12/17; 4/18; 10/18, 4/23 - PC
    5/15 - POR
    1/22 - ASMO
    10/22 - ASMU

Disneyland: 12/15 - Paradise Pier Hotel

Next up: ???

Post Thanks / Like

Certainly the proximity to UoE and the (mostly) abandoned WoL pavilion would lead one to believe that this is related to the rumors of the GotG overlay coming to UoE. If I had to guess, I'd guess the rumored new show building will house the queue and loading area for the ride and everything else around it will be demolished to make room for the coaster track.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

West Chester, PA (formerly Philadelphia, PA)
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks like yet another one of our favorites will soon disappear.

I'm probably in the minority here, but the idea of a roller coaster in Future World makes me very sad. Just another ride I'll have to skip, if rumor ever becomes fact.
    Sylvia ºOº

80+ WDW visits . . .

1976-88 - I Drive /
    1989-??? - CBR; DL; SoG; CSR; CR; POP; ASMu; WL; FQ

Upcoming:
    30 Apr - 14 May 19 PO French Quarter

10. Thanks Tekneek thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

There has been conflicting "information" regarding this... One piece of news said GotG would replace Universe of Energy... Then that changed to, well not just yet, Ratatouille is coming to France first, before we see anything happening at Energy... Then, well, yea something will eventually happen to Energy but it may or may not be GotG, seems like they moved on from GotG there for something else, but it won't be before Ratatouille... Then this permit gets filed... And now?? Some people say better get your last rides in on Energy.... Some say it is closing by the end of the year... We'll have to see..

What I can tell you is this, as of now, the plan for the current Energy building call for the building to be used strictly as ride entrance, queue, load, unload, and exit... The ride itself will be in the new show building in the area on the permit...

Theme is what we are trying to figure out here....
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

12. Likes baldburke liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Here's my rant. (I crank because I care)
    I know we've all said this a million times before but it's really starting to hit home with me. Future World in Epcot is not supposed to be another Tomorrowland.
    Tomorrowland is the "fantastical" future - crazy stuff like flying saucers and people wearing silver jumpsuits in the future.
    Future World is supposed to be the "realistic" future. Like, what humans are doing NOW that will affect the future. Think, Living with the Land shows futuristic farming... Mission Space covers more realistic type space travel of the future. Stuff like that. Universe of Energy (although outdated) was trying to cover the realistic future of energy consumption... and they're going to throw that out the window now too apparently. Granted, it's in desperate need of an update, but the rumors of what it's changing to are mind-bogglingly weird.

Now instead of a cohesive park about how our imaginations can come up with ideas that will literally affect our future on earth, it's a mish-mash of random Disney characters, shoe-horned into whatever geographic space they can squish them into.

Imagine Future World in a few years:
    - One pavilion that focuses on a bunch of fish searching for Nemo.
    - One pavilion that focuses on your five senses (well, 3 out of 5), even though that's not what imaginations are made of.
    - One pavilion that is empty 90% of the time and is used for festival merchandise.
    - One pavilion that does have a ride about futuristic farming, but another ride about flying through current major cities around the world.
    - One pavilion that covers the future of space travel.
    - One pavilion that covers futuristic vehicle design.
    - One pavilion that focuses on a superhero franchise (GotG) or a fictional video game (Tron), depending on the rumors you believe.

It's like *some* of Future World is on the right track (Mission Space, Test Track, Living With the Land) although maybe you can make the argument that improvements can be made to those.
    But the rest of Future World is just getting random stuff because they can't think of anywhere else to fit it. And that's sad. Because how do you explain Epcot to people anymore? It's a place where half the park is World Showcase, and the other half of the park is _______.

End rant.
    ~ Carolyn ~ aka "CANADA!"
    Every year since 1979! Annual Passholder in CANADA!

* Old Key West
    * Saratoga Springs
    * Boardwalk
    * Coronado Springs
    * Contemporary & Bay Lake Tower
    * Caribbean Beach
    * Port Orleans Riverside
    * Fort Wilderness
    * Pop Century
    * All Star Music Movies & Sports

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Figment! View Post
    Reedy Creek has filed Permit#: 48-00714-P with the South Florida Water Management District for a project titled Epcot Canal Modifications:

The project's official purpose according to the permits is to:

Although vague, the new 26.83 acre construction site appears to be a first step in some sort of expansion for Epcot.

Of note, the area outlined in blue appears to be a new structure that is being speculated (but not confirmed) to be a new show building:

Name:  4.jpg
Views: 1155
Size:  81.7 KB

The proximity of this mystery structure seems reasonably approachable from existing Guest areas and appears to explain the potential cause of the re-location of the existing canal.
    interesting. thanks for sharing and hope its good
    BC 2
    WL CL 1
    AKL 4
    SOG 3
    POFQ 3
    POR 2
    CSR 4
    CBR 2
    Asp 3
    AS m 2
    POP 7
    12-13 WL CSR ASM
    3-14 POR, AS s Dolphin
    6-14 Us CSR
    1-14 Unv
    6-15 WL, SSR.
    11- 15. AOA, OKw
    7 16..CSR, FW, AKL, POR
    7 17..ASM, CSR, WL AKL club POP
    8 18 As sports, Pop
    DL 9-19
    DVC WL, CSR and idk 10-20

Post Thanks / Like

Heard the Universe of Energy stays, but GOTG Mission Breakout is built on the new cleared area behind it
    Bern

WDW - 85,88,89,96,08,10,12,13,16,18,19
    Universal - Cabana Bay, May 2019

August 2020 - Port Orleans Riverside

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by barnaby View Post
    Heard the Universe of Energy stays, but GOTG Mission Breakout is built on the new cleared area behind it
    Came from Jim Hill.... Don't listen to Jim Hill...

Still not 100% it is GotG... The new show building will be built on that parcel of land named above....

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    Here's my rant. (I crank because I care)
    I know we've all said this a million times before but it's really starting to hit home with me. Future World in Epcot is not supposed to be another Tomorrowland.
    Tomorrowland is the "fantastical" future - crazy stuff like flying saucers and people wearing silver jumpsuits in the future.
    Future World is supposed to be the "realistic" future. Like, what humans are doing NOW that will affect the future. Think, Living with the Land shows futuristic farming... Mission Space covers more realistic type space travel of the future. Stuff like that. Universe of Energy (although outdated) was trying to cover the realistic future of energy consumption... and they're going to throw that out the window now too apparently. Granted, it's in desperate need of an update, but the rumors of what it's changing to are mind-bogglingly weird.

Now instead of a cohesive park about how our imaginations can come up with ideas that will literally affect our future on earth, it's a mish-mash of random Disney characters, shoe-horned into whatever geographic space they can squish them into.

Imagine Future World in a few years:
    - One pavilion that focuses on a bunch of fish searching for Nemo.
    - One pavilion that focuses on your five senses (well, 3 out of 5), even though that's not what imaginations are made of.
    - One pavilion that is empty 90% of the time and is used for festival merchandise.
    - One pavilion that does have a ride about futuristic farming, but another ride about flying through current major cities around the world.
    - One pavilion that covers the future of space travel.
    - One pavilion that covers futuristic vehicle design.
    - One pavilion that focuses on a superhero franchise (GotG) or a fictional video game (Tron), depending on the rumors you believe.

It's like *some* of Future World is on the right track (Mission Space, Test Track, Living With the Land) although maybe you can make the argument that improvements can be made to those.
    But the rest of Future World is just getting random stuff because they can't think of anywhere else to fit it. And that's sad. Because how do you explain Epcot to people anymore? It's a place where half the park is World Showcase, and the other half of the park is _______.

End rant.
    Yes. This.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Looks like yet another one of our favorites will soon disappear.

I'm probably in the minority here, but the idea of a roller coaster in Future World makes me very sad. Just another ride I'll have to skip, if rumor ever becomes fact.
    Amen. There is no reason they can't make fun, but informative rides. I think Test Track fits that bill. I'd like to see another boat ride. Though Living w/ the Land is my favorite, and would seriously lose my stuff if they took that out.

I think they need 2 more rides out in the World Showcase. Bring back WOL, and UofE, well, a mixture of indoor and outdoor experiences would be cool. Like Jurassic Park, but maybe slightly less thrill/wet as heck, type ride.

I just don't want GotG everything. Will this be the new Frozen? When in doubt, put GOTG?
    ===================

2016 POR
    2015 CS
    2014 WDW-Offsite
    2014 Disneyland-offsite
    2014 CBR
    2013 Dolphin
    2012 POR
    2012 WDW-Offsite
    2011 ASMusic, POR

1998 Dixie Landings
    1990's, Dixie Landings, Misc Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by texas211 View Post
    Amen. There is no reason they can't make fun, but informative rides. I think Test Track fits that bill. I'd like to see another boat ride. Though Living w/ the Land is my favorite, and would seriously lose my stuff if they took that out.

I think they need 2 more rides out in the World Showcase. Bring back WOL, and UofE, well, a mixture of indoor and outdoor experiences would be cool. Like Jurassic Park, but maybe slightly less thrill/wet as heck, type ride.

I just don't want GotG everything. Will this be the new Frozen? When in doubt, put GOTG?
    The guests attention span today is practically nothing... They want quick and dumbed down.... If Disney ever tried to build the Epcot Center of the past today, it would fail, sadly...

World Showcase is getting at least one big ride (Rat) and MAYBE one smaller offering in U.K... And there is still talk of a new country, with an attraction.... That, of course, is still rumor and remains to be seen...

Post Thanks / Like

I think that is generally true, but can be done. Test Track as I mentioned works. I just more variety. Like I don't want a star wars ride at Epcot, though I'm sure that is coming. Though, I wouldn't mind more marvel, like they had at DL (the stark expo was really cool).
    ===================

2016 POR
    2015 CS
    2014 WDW-Offsite
    2014 Disneyland-offsite
    2014 CBR
    2013 Dolphin
    2012 POR
    2012 WDW-Offsite
    2011 ASMusic, POR

1998 Dixie Landings
    1990's, Dixie Landings, Misc Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyFreak2002 View Post
    Came from Jim Hill.... Don't listen to Jim Hill...

Still not 100% it is GotG... The new show building will be built on that parcel of land named above....
    Not that it matters to me, Jim Hill is as correct on rumors as anyone else is.
    Bern

WDW - 85,88,89,96,08,10,12,13,16,18,19
    Universal - Cabana Bay, May 2019

August 2020 - Port Orleans Riverside

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyFreak2002 View Post
    The guests attention span today is practically nothing... They want quick and dumbed down.... If Disney ever tried to build the Epcot Center of the past today, it would fail, sadly...

World Showcase is getting at least one big ride (Rat) and MAYBE one smaller offering in U.K... And there is still talk of a new country, with an attraction.... That, of course, is still rumor and remains to be seen...
    DizneyFreak, it is good to have you back. I always enjoying reading your posts.
    I'll meet you at the Rainbow Bridge.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by texas211 View Post
    I think that is generally true, but can be done. Test Track as I mentioned works. I just more variety. Like I don't want a star wars ride at Epcot, though I'm sure that is coming. Though, I wouldn't mind more marvel, like they had at DL (the stark expo was really cool).
    Stark Expo would really make a lot of sense for Epcot, wouldn't it??? In Innoventions..... But that pesky Universal contract....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cinderelley View Post
    DizneyFreak, it is good to have you back. I always enjoying reading your posts.
    I'll be back as much as I can... Recent promotion in work so my time may be limited, though something tells me I'll make it work

Some more about Epcot.... The spine of the park (ticket windows down to the entrance to World Showcase including the fountain, Innoventions, Mouse Gear, Electric Umbrella... ALL getting a make over... No idea what just yet...

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: