Quantcast Why May is the BEST month to go (really!!)

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Why May is the BEST month to go (really!!)

Okay, we've decided that for practical reasons the only month we can go is May (daughter on college break etc). After reading the answers to my last post I'm really quite discouraged -and some touring plan site listed "weekends" in May among the absolute WORST times to go. So I need a pep squad! Tell me all the reasons that May IS good, and barring that, give me your best May-time advice on how to handle the stuff that is not-so-good. At least half our trip is at Universal where we will have unlimited express passes, so that will help there. (and they didn't say - but why are May weekends so bad? Is that really a super crowded time?) Edited to add - we COULD do the last week of March, but I'm assuming Spring Break crowds are even worse than May?

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

The last half of May is worse than the beginning. Many schools begin to release for the year in May and, those families constricted by school schedules, often head to Disney once school is out. That said, I have been to Disney many times in the month of May and have found May to be a good time to be there and quite manageable in the parks.
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

I have mostly been to WDW during the "worst" times. We have been Memorial Day week, just after school gets out several time and are again this month! We love it. I love the excitement of the crowds, longer hours, and warm weather. We love to be able to swim and not get cold if we get splashed on the rides. We do get fast passes and dining reservations, get to parks at opening, and prioritize our attraction attack. We have always had a wonderful time and spend times in shops or indoor attractions when it gets hot. Sometimes we head back in late afternoon for dip in the pool and then head out for dinner. I have also been to the world in September when it is supposedly the best time and is admittedly less crowded, but there is something extra exciting about the peak times. It seems that WDW had the additional staff and techniques to manage it. May can be wonderful if you go with a plan and get to the parks early.
    2017 WDW All Star Music/Universal RP
    2016 :(
    2015 Universal-Royal Pacific
    2014 :(
    2013 Fall: Wilderness Lodge
    2011-12 :(
    2010 French Quarter
    2009 Pop & AKL
    2008 Polynesian
    2007 ASM & BCR
    2006 AKL

Post Thanks / Like

We just got back from Disney, and it was our 3rd May trip. It is rather busy (we're usually end of August people), but with FP and some planning, we did everything we wanted, with minimal waits. The weather is great, warm, but not crazy hot, but warm enough to feel like swimming.

The regular advice applies - get to the parks early, plan FP+ for your must-do's, and if it gets too crazy head back to the resort for a break and a swim (or a long indoor ride) and then tackle the parks again.

And ... don't ride Spaceship earth around lunch time! It was ALWAYS a 55 minute wait in the middle of the day.
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

7.37 miles from WDW. My retirement dream come true!
    Post Thanks / Like

May is also the time that chorus groups are here to perform, marching bands are here to performs, performance groups are here to perform and there are cheerleading competitions so the participants and their families are EVERYWHERE. It's all about planning ahead!!! There really isn't a "slow" season anymore :-(
    I LOVE DISNEY WORLD!!!!!
    A dream is a wish your heart makes and mine came true when I retired here in December 2014! I go to a park at least once a week!

Post Thanks / Like

I was there Sunday-Friday last week and it was BUSY. I figured the crowds would increase toward the end of the week because of Memorial Day weekend and Pandora opening but expected lighter crowds at the beginning of the week. I thought it was packed all week. There were crowds everywhere. It was difficult to walk at times. We escaped back to the room after lunch when the crowds were too heavy and returned in the evenings. It was still crowded but manageable. There were lots of school field trip groups each day.

Post Thanks / Like

That's terrible news :-( Now I'm really not looking forward to it. I assume late March would be even worse? our anticiated dates are the 17th - 23rd

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mom2morgan View Post
    That's terrible news :-( Now I'm really not looking forward to it. I assume late March would be even worse? our anticiated dates are the 17th - 23rd
    next year easter is april 1st, and I know that our schools district has spring break until the 9th of april that week. So perhaps you would miss a lot of the easter/spring break crowds, but not all? We are aiming to go April 21-29, hoping to miss easter/spring breaks and hoping not a lot of people would take vacations this time frame because school is about to let out in mid May. There are though ALWAYS a lot of cheerleading groups in late April.

I think with some planning and expectations it is definitely manageable. Like others said, Disney amps up the staff to handle it. Just make sure you have your FP's and days planned, get your FP and reservations the first day you can.
    Had previous account but can no longer access :(
    8 previous trips, including honeymoon.
    Two kids 5 & 7 years old.
    One of 'those' WDW fans.

Next: POFQ, our home! April 2018!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: