Quantcast package vs. tickets and room

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default package vs. tickets and room

Can anyone give opinions on vacation package vs. separate tickets and rooms? If I remember correctly, you can't do a dining plan if you do it the second way; but I'm wondering if I can save money that way. I'm considering snapping up the discounted Canadian tickets, then working on the accomadations a little later.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

You need to do the math to figure out which works better for your family. Personally, discounted rooms and tickets and paying out of pocket for meals has worked better for me. Remember, when you get a package, you are paying full price for your room. Additionally, with the changes made to the dining plan and, depending on where you are staying, the value of the dining plan as part of a package is considerably less than it used to be.
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

We've always done a package, but are current at Disney on our first room only trip. We bought the Canadian ticket deal, it was too good to pass up, and then booked the room. There are quite often room-only discounts, so you'll save off the "listed" prices there as well.

The dining plan seems to be about break even, if you eat a TS meal and a QS meal AND the snacks each day. Since we don't have the plan this trip, we're keeping track on our spending, and most days we are well under what it would have cost to purchase the dining plan, even our "really expensive" days have been a few dollars cheaper.

For us, we saved money with the Canadian tickets, the room and paying as we go for dining. The tickets make a big difference!
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

Leaving the DDP aside for the moment, a package consisting of room and tickets will generally be the exact same price as purchasing your room and tickets separately. Discounts that might apply to a package almost always have a corresponding room only discount available. The difference comes in the way the two options are sold. Packages are sold through the Walt Disney Travel Company and have one set of policies and restrictions, while room only bookings are sold through Central Reservations, and have a completely different set of policies that accompany them. Room only bookings are much more flexible when it comes to changes/ cancellations and payment schedule.

The dining plan is only available to guests with a package, or to DVC members, and is an extra cost item. Even with "free dining", there's a cost - the room portion of the package is at full rack rate - and the corresponding room only discount (and there always is one) may actually be the better savings. But that all depends on family size and eating style. For us, the dining plan hasn't made sense for many, many years. But your mileage may vary.

Steve
    First visit: Disneyland, July 17, 1955 (well, somebody had to be there on opening day!)

Most Recent Visit:
    Disneyland - June 21-25, 2017
    WDW - Sep 22 - Oct 5, 2019
    Next up: WDW - May 9 - 16, 2020 at Riviera!
    Dec 5 - 16, 2020 at Poly

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mom2morgan View Post
    Can anyone give opinions on vacation package vs. separate tickets and rooms? If I remember correctly, you can't do a dining plan if you do it the second way; but I'm wondering if I can save money that way. I'm considering snapping up the discounted Canadian tickets, then working on the accomadations a little later.
    Thank you - I think you've all just confirmed what I was thinking! And you know what? Thinking about it I realize I was always annoyed by having to constantly "keep track" of the DDP ...you know, how many of this or that type of meal we've had (esp. with 2 credit special occasions thrown in) and have we used all our snack credits.....it would be really "freeing" to just eat where we want, when we want. And because we always wanted to get our money's worth, we ALWAYS ordered the most expensive thing on the menu - even if that wasn't what we wanted, LOL. It changes things that it is no longer three kids - just hubby and me and maybe one adult child.

Post Thanks / Like

As you say, not having the DDP can actually be quite liberating. Our norm now is to use a Disney gift card loaded with an amount that is close to, but less than what we'd pay for theDDP. We use that card for meals, including tips and adult beverages. We eat what we want, often sharing meals and getting appetizers. There's always money left on the card at the end of the trip.

Steve
    First visit: Disneyland, July 17, 1955 (well, somebody had to be there on opening day!)

Most Recent Visit:
    Disneyland - June 21-25, 2017
    WDW - Sep 22 - Oct 5, 2019
    Next up: WDW - May 9 - 16, 2020 at Riviera!
    Dec 5 - 16, 2020 at Poly

8. Thanks Imalismom thanked for this post
    Likes Imalismom liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fangorn View Post
    Our norm now is to use a Disney gift card loaded with an amount that is close to, but less than what we'd pay for theDDP. We use that card for meals, including tips and adult beverages. We eat what we want, often sharing meals and getting appetizers. There's always money left on the card at the end of the trip.
    Steve
    We used this tip on this trip, and it has been wonderful! I love not pulling out cash or the credit card at every meal, and we're still trending WAY below the DDP cost, and we're getting to eat exactly what we want.
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: