Quantcast Hated to Love

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Thread: Hated to Love

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hated to Love

In light of a recent thread. Is there any attraction, area or park (maybe a stretch) that you were sure you going to dislike but in the end it became a favorite. So many have been aghast when favorite attractions (regardless of how dated) have been razed. I don't have any specific example(s), but I would be curious to hear what others have to say. Generally speaking I'm usually in favor of Disney's updates. I haven't done the the Frozen ride yet so maybe the jury is still out.
    Beth & David

09/82 Treehouse Villas, 06/86 BVP, 10/95 CBR, 10/99 DI, 08/03 PORS, 10/05 POP, 11/06 AKL, 09/09 POLY, 10/10 Wonder, 05/11 Dream/PORS, 08/13 POLY, 11/13 GF, 04/15 POLY, 11/15 BLT, 11/16 Aulani, 03/17 BLT, 08/18 BLT, 07/19 AKL, 06/21 BLT

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I can't think of any right now, but the one on the horizon that I think I will strongly dislike is the Guardians of the Galaxy treatment on Ellen's Energy Adventure should that come to pass. Granted, Ellen is no must-do for me, but I just cringe at the thought of Marvel in Epcot.

I am going to think some more on this...
    Carrie

CBR: 2/21-2/25/17
    POR: 6/4-6/11/16
    POFQ: 11/15-11/19/15
    8/28-9/1/14 -DL-Dumbo 19.3 C2C
    POR: 1/7-1/14/14 -Dopey 48.6
    POR: 6/11-6/17/13
    ASMu: 1/11-1/15/13 -1st Full 26.2
    ASMu: 9/22-9/28/11
    ASMu: 6/7-6/13/11
    Pop: 1/30-2/6/10
    Pop: 2/1-2/7/09
    Pop: 1/08
    ASMu: 05/06
    Off-site: 12/93

4. Likes Fusillejerry, disneydave78 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I thought of one! I really did not know what to expect when they took away the Toon Town area, Mickey and Minnie's house...but I just love that area now with the splash pad, dueling Dumbo's, the Big Top Souvenirs, the meet and greet. Turned out great and in my opinion it is a definite improvement over what was there before.

Great idea for a thread! I am looking forward to hearing what everyone says!
    Carrie

CBR: 2/21-2/25/17
    POR: 6/4-6/11/16
    POFQ: 11/15-11/19/15
    8/28-9/1/14 -DL-Dumbo 19.3 C2C
    POR: 1/7-1/14/14 -Dopey 48.6
    POR: 6/11-6/17/13
    ASMu: 1/11-1/15/13 -1st Full 26.2
    ASMu: 9/22-9/28/11
    ASMu: 6/7-6/13/11
    Pop: 1/30-2/6/10
    Pop: 2/1-2/7/09
    Pop: 1/08
    ASMu: 05/06
    Off-site: 12/93

6. Likes baldburke liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I personally didn't care much either way. But the Starbucks on Main Street really got more than its share of hate before it opened. Now that its there, nobody seems to be complaining too much about it.

There's a good bit of dislike for the upcoming Pandora attractions, too, but I'm going to just wait and see before I reach any opinion on that. Actually I'm hoping it will be fantastic, even though I only saw the movie once, and have no desire to see it again. The attractions can still be great.

I really didn't want to see the Sorcerer's Hat removed from DHS. Even though I know it wasn't original to the park, it was there on our first visit with our kids and so . . . memories. I'm okay with it being gone now, but I wish it could be put up somewhere else. It was a great photo backdrop.
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

8. Likes baldburke liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

As much as it pains me to admit it mine would be Frozen. I really really liked Maelstrom and it irritated me to no end that they chose to remake it into Frozen. I have to admit Frozen is a really good ride. However, I still do wish they would have just built a new attraction and left Maelstrom alone though.

10. Likes baldburke, Arielfan98 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

For me it was AK. When I was at WDW in 1999, I kept saying if I want to go to a zoo I can do that at home. When I finally did go to AK in 2000, I ended up loving it.
    "Welcome, Foolish Mortals..."

12. Likes baldburke liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cer View Post
    I can't think of any right now, but the one on the horizon that I think I will strongly dislike is the Guardians of the Galaxy treatment on Ellen's Energy Adventure should that come to pass. Granted, Ellen is no must-do for me, but I just cringe at the thought of Marvel in Epcot.

I am going to think some more on this...
    Ellen's Energy Adventure is a relaxing way to cool down for 45 minutes or so on a warm summer afternoon, but the story is showing its age. I'm hoping there is good potential for the GOTG ride regardless of where you stand on the series. I'm hoping its a ground breaking experience sort of like Soarin' was 10 to 15 years ago.
    Beth & David

09/82 Treehouse Villas, 06/86 BVP, 10/95 CBR, 10/99 DI, 08/03 PORS, 10/05 POP, 11/06 AKL, 09/09 POLY, 10/10 Wonder, 05/11 Dream/PORS, 08/13 POLY, 11/13 GF, 04/15 POLY, 11/15 BLT, 11/16 Aulani, 03/17 BLT, 08/18 BLT, 07/19 AKL, 06/21 BLT

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by baldburke View Post
    Ellen's Energy Adventure is a relaxing way to cool down for 45 minutes or so on a warm summer afternoon, but the story is showing its age. I'm hoping there is good potential for the GOTG ride regardless of where you stand on the series. I'm hoping its a ground breaking experience sort of like Soarin' was 10 to 15 years ago.
    The story is certainly outdated and has the feel of one of those filmstrips I used to watch in school. However, I would rather just see an updated story and a refurb that still fits with a science/energy theme. The building is iconic and beautiful and I fear what they would do to it with a GotG theme. Seeing what they did to the Hollywood Tower Hotel in DL is enough reason to be worried.
    - Brian

First WDW visit: 1984, Village Resort
    Last WDW visit: 2015, Caribbean Beach
    Next WDW visit: 2018, Polynesian

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure if this counts, but my husband hated Animal Kingdom the first few times we visited there. He was the first to admit that he didn't "get" it. Last summer we went for one of the nights where the park was open after dark, and we got to experience the nighttime safari and street entertainment. He said that he felt like AK had finally grown into being a Disney park.
    -Laura
    Engineer by Day... Imagineer in my Dreams!

16. Likes baldburke liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Before we went, I wasn't sure if I would enjoy Epcot as apart from Soarin' there didn't seem to be much to hold my interest. However I love World Showcase with it's shops and restaurants from the "country" they're in and we love talking to staff about their home countries and learning the odd word or two in their language. Definitely a place to take your time in.
    POFQ Sept 2012
    POFQ Oct 2014 Hubby's 50th Birthday!
    Wilderness Lodge Nov 2018 My 47th Birthday!

18. Likes baldburke liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Not going to lie, I'm worried about how Pandora at AK is going to hold. No doubt the attractions will be fun, but the area as a whole...I just wonder why they went ahead with a Pandora area, as the movie really didn't live up to the years of hype it had built. Until I experience it, I think I would rather seen the "Mystical Beast" area that was with the original AK plan.

But until I see if first hand, *shrug*
    First Trip: 1986 at 6 mths. old!
    Latest Trip: February 2017

Next trip: October 1017

Stayed at: Caribbean Beach, POP Century, Wilderness Lodge, The Contemporary, The Polynesian, the Beach Club, the Yacht Club, Grand Floridian, Art of Animation, Disney DREAM

Post Thanks / Like

Man, not really, but it's a great idea for a thread.

The closest I can come is the Tower of Terror. I really didn't like it the first couple of times I rode it. And I only rode it because one of my kids really wanted to try it. I *hate* that feeling of falling.

But every time I go through it, I love the queue more and more. The attention to detail on the whole attraction, the technology of the ride, etc is just amazing. So now, I'm the one that is asking who is riding it with me.
    2002 - 2022: 20+ visits (POR, BW, All Stars, VWL, CSR, BLT, BC, SSR, CB, Dolphin, OKW, Poly, offsite x8)
    DL - 1996, 2019
    Next up - January 2023 short trip! We just want to try that 50th Anniversary chocolate monstrosity at Mexico!

21. Likes baldburke liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Animal Kingdom for me - really disliked it when it opened. Today, I enjoy looking at all the animals and the safari ride, but that is the only ride I like. Really enjoy the shows now also.
    Ali's Mom
    Senior Imagineer

23. Likes baldburke liked this post
    Telford, United Kingdom.......4,236 miles.
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe not quite to that extreme... but Jungle Cruise.

When we first went in 1998 we had heard great things about it, but must have caught it on a bad day as it wasn't that good. We then didn't bother going on it in 2001. Went back 2004, queue was short so thought may as well, then had a great time!
    Disney World Visits:
    1. May-June 1998 (3 weeks)
    2. May-June 2001 (3 weeks)
    3. October-November 2004 (2 weeks)
    4. August-September 2010 (2 weeks)
    5. August-September 2017 (2 weeks)

NOW APPROACHING: 6. May 2021

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Giggy View Post
    Maybe not quite to that extreme... but Jungle Cruise.

When we first went in 1998 we had heard great things about it, but must have caught it on a bad day as it wasn't that good. We then didn't bother going on it in 2001. Went back 2004, queue was short so thought may as well, then had a great time!
    The skipper makes a huge difference for this ride. Most are great and this has always been one of my favorite rides, but we had one bad experience a few years ago. The skipper had no enthusiasm and we could barely understand what he was saying. I don't think he was meant for that ride.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
    - Brian

First WDW visit: 1984, Village Resort
    Last WDW visit: 2015, Caribbean Beach
    Next WDW visit: 2018, Polynesian

Post Thanks / Like

For me, it was Soarin'. I thought it was going to be a cheap, lazy "screen ride" and was potentially a bad turning point towards "virtual" rides (ie why build spacious rides that move when you can just provide the sensation of movement). Glad I was wrong. Soarin' was both unique and very entertaining.

Post Thanks / Like

7 dwarfs.. I figured it'd be all just hype... While I don't like how short it is,, its a great attraction.
    ===================

2016 POR
    2015 CS
    2014 WDW-Offsite
    2014 Disneyland-offsite
    2014 CBR
    2013 Dolphin
    2012 POR
    2012 WDW-Offsite
    2011 ASMusic, POR

1998 Dixie Landings
    1990's, Dixie Landings, Misc Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by texas211 View Post
    7 dwarfs.. I figured it'd be all just hype... While I don't like how short it is,, its a great attraction.
    Totally agree! Another 60 to 120 seconds and it would have been the bomb! However still a fun experience overall.
    Beth & David

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy1998 View Post
    For me it was AK. When I was at WDW in 1999, I kept saying if I want to go to a zoo I can do that at home. When I finally did go to AK in 2000, I ended up loving it.
    Yes!! This so much.
    I hated it before I had children. I don't know what it was, but through children's eyes I have come to LOVE AK. We can easily spend all day there and still not do everything.

Now in EPCOT, I love Ellen's Energy Adventure. I always have.
    In Magic Kingdom I love Small World. I love the culture of it. It has fascinated me since I was a young child living in Santa Monica and going to Disneyland!
    Disney Studios: Oy, this is hard. I'm just not a fan of this park, never really have been.
    Aside from Fantastic which I LOVE, my next fav thing that most find lame is One Man's Dream [which I think is now defunct. I honestly haven't been there in years. Oh and I was one who loved the now defunct hat.
    Terra - Wife, mother, special needs teacher. Disney addict! °o°

Advocate for my 2 sons. David: Auto-immune disorder. Praying for remission!ASD/SPD & Aaron: ADHD/Anxiety/ASD. Life makes us stronger!

30. Likes baldburke liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1DisneyNut View Post
    As much as it pains me to admit it mine would be Frozen. I really really liked Maelstrom and it irritated me to no end that they chose to remake it into Frozen. I have to admit Frozen is a really good ride. However, I still do wish they would have just built a new attraction and left Maelstrom alone though.
    I agree 100%.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: