Quantcast Pandora: is it just me? - Page 3

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

I saw the movie (enjoyable, but not memorable) and I'm looking forward to seeing Pandora in summer 2018. Even if you haven't seen the movie it looks like it's going to be beautiful and the attractions have potential.
    - Brian

First WDW visit: 1984, Village Resort
    Last WDW visit: 2015, Caribbean Beach
    Next WDW visit: 2018, Polynesian

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I have one question: What budget did Imagineering have for the Pandora boat ride?

If you want to have your mind blown, go to Youtube and watch an on-ride video of Shanghai Disneyland's "Pirates of the Caribbean" which opened last year. That is what Imagineering can do with a good budget.

If Pandora can accomplish even half of what was done in Shanghai, it will be impressive.

4. Likes baldburke liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by buzznwoodysmom View Post
    Now, when Star Wars land opens we will be the first in line booking a trip to go. I just hope we can maintain interest and excitement for that long! Lol. I know my hubby and son will.
    I think you are too late, a bus driver told me people have already started lining up for that one! There is a tent city over by the Victory Way construction.
    Disney Dream May 2019, WDW Dec 2019

18 Oct ASMv
    16 (APs) Jan POR, Feb CSR, April ASMv, June BC, Oct Pop & Cabins, Dec ASMv & AKL & Pop, Jan '17 POFQ (10k!)
    15 May Pop&CBR pirates
    13 Oct ASMu&AoA
    10 (APs) June CR, Oct AKL&Pop, Dec Pop
    07 March ASMv
    04 June POR
    94 June Onsite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Goofy4TheWorld View Post
    I think you are too late, a bus driver told me people have already started lining up for that one! There is a tent city over by the Victory Way construction.
    Really? I can't imagine Disney would allow squatters. That is unless they found a way to create a squatting package. There would have to be the standard package, the deluxe package and the super deluxe package that will only set you back one non-vital organ. (I kid)
    Beth & David

09/82 Treehouse Villas, 06/86 BVP, 10/95 CBR, 10/99 DI, 08/03 PORS, 10/05 POP, 11/06 AKL, 09/09 POLY, 10/10 Wonder, 05/11 Dream/PORS, 08/13 POLY, 11/13 GF, 04/15 POLY, 11/15 BLT, 11/16 Aulani, 03/17 BLT, 08/18 BLT, 07/19 AKL, 06/21 BLT

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by baldburke View Post
    Really? I can't imagine Disney would allow squatters. That is unless they found a way to create a squatting package. There would have to be the standard package, the deluxe package and the super deluxe package that will only set you back one non-vital organ. (I kid)
    And with the Super Deluxe Squatter Package you will have the opportunity to purchase Limited Edition Super Deluxe Squatter Package Merchandise and Limited Edition Phonecases and Commemorative Pins!

I also heard there will be a new Dooney and Bourke pattern design released exclusively for the Squatter Package featuring Mickey Mouse dressed as Luke Skywalker sitting cross-legged near a pup tent with a port-a-potty nearby, Minnie is with him dressed as Leia, a light blanket around her shoulders with bags under her eyes and holding a Starbucks cup! Yay!

Ok, I am having too much fun with this...
    Carrie

CBR: 2/21-2/25/17
    POR: 6/4-6/11/16
    POFQ: 11/15-11/19/15
    8/28-9/1/14 -DL-Dumbo 19.3 C2C
    POR: 1/7-1/14/14 -Dopey 48.6
    POR: 6/11-6/17/13
    ASMu: 1/11-1/15/13 -1st Full 26.2
    ASMu: 9/22-9/28/11
    ASMu: 6/7-6/13/11
    Pop: 1/30-2/6/10
    Pop: 2/1-2/7/09
    Pop: 1/08
    ASMu: 05/06
    Off-site: 12/93

8. Likes baldburke, BriarRose0708 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm very excited for Pandora to open! I did enjoy 'Avatar'. Watch this space... Once the other movies are released in this series, Pandora is going to be a LOT more appealing to us all. James Cameron is a genius and I have no doubt in mind mind that as he releases the other films in this saga, we'll all be jumping on the Avatar-boat!
    1986 & 1990 - off-site
    1988 - Dixie Landings
    1995 - Euro Disney - Hotel New York
    2001 - CBR
    2008 - POP
    March & May 2016 - POP
    July 2016 - CSR
    Sept 2016 - CSR
    Nov 2016 - POFQ & WL
    March 2017 - POR
    May 2017 - POR
    Upcoming trip: Nov 2019

Post Thanks / Like

Haha, I just responded in another thread about this. I don't think the movie was good enough to justify this. I hope for the sake of Disney that it's just beautiful, to grab attention of guests who wouldn't visit the land otherwise.
    First Trip: 1986 at 6 mths. old!
    Latest Trip: February 2017

Next trip: October 1017

Stayed at: Caribbean Beach, POP Century, Wilderness Lodge, The Contemporary, The Polynesian, the Beach Club, the Yacht Club, Grand Floridian, Art of Animation, Disney DREAM

11. Thanks BrerGnat thanked for this post
    Likes BrerGnat, NewmanFamily6 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I know we are really looking forward to it - hoping it's spectacular. Just secured some fast passes for early June to go and check it out!

Post Thanks / Like

We have never seen the movie. Honestly, I really know nothing about the movie. I think Disney and Cameron made a good decision to set the time of the land many years after the events of any of the movies. This allows the area to stand on its own. Yes, it ties into a movie but then again Mr. Toad tied into a Disney short. How many people have EVER seen that short? I know I haven't but it was always my favorite dark ride. If everybody focuses on the movie that inspired the land, then that will always cloud everything about it. If this land was created with every detail but had no movie backing it, everybody would be overly excited about it. So, forget the movie and see the land and the attractions on its own merits.

14. Likes PopPhan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I am looking forward to Pandora... not crazy about the movie but love what Disney does with their lands. We are planning a trip to Disney world and AK and DS not high on our to do list... now planning to add a day to see what Pandora is about. Don't like Avitar?... thats ok.. .plenty of things to do at Disney.
    POR 04/2018
    CB - 01/2018
    Contemporary - 12/2017
    Poly - 06/2017
    GF - 08/2009
    BW - 07/2008
    Contemporary - 11/2007
    Poly - 02/2007
    POR - 12/2004
    Contemporary - 12/2003
    Dixie Landing - 12/2002, 12/2001 8/2000
    Contemporary - 12/1999
    Dixie Landing - 5/1998, 5/1997

Post Thanks / Like

Movie? There was a movie? All joking aside, I did not see the movie, nor do I ever wish to. I do have an annual pass holders fastpass booked, so that I can answer questions here on INTERCOT about the area/ride(s), but I have no pre-interest in seeing it.
    Ali's Mom
    Senior Imagineer

17. Likes NewmanFamily6 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PopPhan View Post
    I am not getting all the "Debbie Downers" on this....You haven't even given it a shot and you are trashing it...or at least saying that you are disappointed or not thrilled with it.

As far as comparisons with the movie...I give up! This is the land of the Na'vi, the indigenous humanoids on the planet who actually care about their ecosystem and meld with it. Forget about the mining outfit and the "war" from the movie. Enjoy the "moon" Pandora for what it is...The plant life, the animals, the colors, the spectacle, the connection between its people and the ecosystem. This is EXACTLY what Animal Kingdom is all about.

As far as number of attractions/rides...Dinoland has what? One? Africa? Two - Kilimanjaro Safaris and Lion King. Asia? Three - Expedition Everest, Kali River Rapids and Finding Nemo. Camp Minnie-Mickey prior to Pandora? Pocohantas and Lion King. One closed years ago, the other moved to Africa (where it belongs)

Sorry, not buying the complaints. Off my soapbox now.
    I agree. At least give it a try. It surely can't be worse than the revised "Journey into Imagination" or "Stitch"

19. Thanks Mackflava99 thanked for this post
    Likes BrerGnat, Mackflava99 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1DisneyNut View Post
    We couldn't care less about the movie. We have tried several times to watch it but completely lose interest and stop watching. However, I don't really care what the them is as long as the attractions/rides are good. I am looking forward to seeing the boat ride even though I hate the movie.
    My thoughts exactly.....
    John - aka. The Master Control Program
    Owner, Chairman & Chief Imagination Officer - INTERCOT

Post Thanks / Like

I thought the movie's story line was predictable and the social message stereotype was tolerable. However, it was to me one the the most visually remarkable movies I have ever seen. If they can duplicate the amazing digital imagery into an interactive reality, I would absolutely love it and I'm sure the kids would as well.

22. Likes j2k, PopPhan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    I agree that you don't NEED a movie tie in. I really wish they had just made the mythical land they had proposed all along (dragons and unicorns and such). That would have been amazing because they could draw from their extensive library of creatures and created a land centered around them.

My issue is using a movie of questionable broad appeal and staying power to base an entire land around. I think Avatar was a foolish choice here.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    I agree. Avatar...a very foolish choice. In my opinion, a terrible movie, as well.

Just saying...

24. Likes NewmanFamily6 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I will add that my love for Disney Imagineering surpasses my hatred of the movie, so we WILL be visiting Pandora this fall.

Post Thanks / Like

I was never a fan of the movie in general.
    Now from a purely aesthetic/Imagineering aspect I do want to see the land for it's beauty.
    That said for the eco focus, I would have thought something much more "Disney-ish" like a Wall-E tie on would have been better.
    For some reason when I think of educating on eco issues I think of Wall-E. Not Avatar.

So even though we are not going for the movie itself, my sons and I will still have fun exploring the new land.
    Terra - Wife, mother, special needs teacher. Disney addict! °o°

Advocate for my 2 sons. David: Auto-immune disorder. Praying for remission!ASD/SPD & Aaron: ADHD/Anxiety/ASD. Life makes us stronger!

Post Thanks / Like

I am not a huge Avatar fan. The movie was groundbreaking at the time. It has been so long since the movie was out, so it is interesting that they chose this. However it is a good choice with tying into nature and the theme of the park.
    I am sure Disney will make it really interesting and a great experience.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk
    Have you ever looked beyond today, into the future?
    Picturing a world, we've yet to see.
    The wonder of finding new ways,
    that lead to the promise of brighter days

Dead Men Tell No Tales

28. Likes NewmanFamily6 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't care for the Avatar idea. I am curious though and will check it out in September

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930AZ using Tapatalk

30. Likes NewmanFamily6 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It was one of the most popular movies of all time, so I find it difficult to hear about so many people who have never seen it.
    That said, I think it was a B+ , I am a Sci-fi buff and it did take me a little time to get into it. But it has alot of insights into society and if you give it a true chance it will grow on you. James Cameron has a story to tell, but not sure the movie did it the full justice.
    Is it worthy of a Land in Walt Disney World? I am not sure. I guess I will give it a chance. Animal Kingdom needs some juice.
    Only 2 rides ? Thats going to make it hectic.
    Will they have Navi walking around? that would be very cool
    1 restaurant? Again I see chaos.

We will see, I hope it works out, I really do, Because it can turn out to be very cool. I just hope it doesn't become the next DinoLand , which is still the most ill-placed section of any Disney park in my opinion.
    Bryan

DVC since 02, Poly 89-90, Tokyo 98, CB 99, Swan 01, WL 06 ,08, 10, BLT 11, HHI 12, OKW 12-13, BC 03-05, 07-09, 11, 13,16 , 17
    Contemporary 05, 13, GC DLR 15, VeroBeach 16, AoA 16

"There's Blood on the saddle, and Blood all around...."Big Al-

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: