Quantcast New Walt Disney World Transportation System?: Updated 4/18/17 with Confirmed Plans - Page 3

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

I would expect this to be approved and built quickly. There will be no fee, but expect the nightly rate at the resorts on the loop to increase by 20-25%. WDW has changed their mindset over the past decade. It is no longer about repeat customers and loyalty. It is now about once-in-a-lifetime family vacations, and squeezing them for every nickel. Instead of charging $150 for Pop, start charging $180, and put them in a gondola that pays for itself in labor savings in ten years.
    First Trip ¨¨*:•
    Fort Wilderness Resort and Campground - June, 1974

Last Trip ¨¨*:•
    Port Orleans/Saratoga Springs - March, 2017

Next Trip ¨¨*:•
    Bay Lake Tower - March, 2018

And about 40 more in between....

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewJackson View Post
    I would expect this to be approved and built quickly. There will be no fee, but expect the nightly rate at the resorts on the loop to increase by 20-25%. WDW has changed their mindset over the past decade. It is no longer about repeat customers and loyalty. It is now about once-in-a-lifetime family vacations, and squeezing them for every nickel. Instead of charging $150 for Pop, start charging $180, and put them in a gondola that pays for itself in labor savings in ten years.
    I think the gondolas are a great idea. I disagree about your characterization of Disney though. Everything has gone up everywhere. Disney's tickets have increased most years but the percentage of increases over the past few years has actually decreased. I just booked a room at Pop for around $120 a night. This is far cheaper than many Holiday Inn Express hotels across the country. We don't know if the gondola will be open to guests at Pop or restricted to AoA guests but Disney adjusts room rates using sales now based on demand. Food costs are in line with costs for similar items at Zoos, Ball Games... They have added special events, upper end rooms and high end dining because there is demand but there are still value options. Overall a trip to Disney World/Land is still worth the money or we would stop going.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Likes baldburke liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by williamabutler View Post
    I think the gondolas are a great idea. I disagree about your characterization of Disney though. Everything has gone up everywhere. Disney's tickets have increased most years but the percentage of increases over the past few years has actually decreased. I just booked a room at Pop for around $120 a night. This is far cheaper than many Holiday Inn Express hotels across the country. We don't know if the gondola will be open to guests at Pop or restricted to AoA guests but Disney adjusts room rates using sales now based on demand. Food costs are in line with costs for similar items at Zoos, Ball Games... They have added special events, upper end rooms and high end dining because there is demand but there are still value options. Overall a trip to Disney World/Land is still worth the money or we would stop going.

While I agree with you in general, Disney is actually marketing to high income guests and "once in a lifetime" visitors as a strategy. They have said so at the corporate level to employees. They actually have shifted their focus. Expect a lot more upsell opportunities and a gradual phasing out of the resort "categories." And continued price increases.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

No, AndrewJackson is right... Disney truly detests repeat guests cause they don't spend as much as the first time/once in a lifetime visitor will... And Nat is right too... Say goodbye to resort categories...
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Post Thanks / Like

I would love to see them do away with resort categories. I think it is degrading and unnecessary. They already are outdated and don't really equal the same product or rates. I think a better solution is to have a range of rates within each resort. Still I doubt you will ever see turndown service or concierge in All Stars. We go every year to WDW and DL most years and spend plenty enough that Disney still sends us plenty of marketing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyFreak2002 View Post
    No, AndrewJackson is right... Disney truly detests repeat guests cause they don't spend as much as the first time/once in a lifetime visitor will... And Nat is right too... Say goodbye to resort categories...
    When you say, "say goodbye to resort categories" do you mean that they'll all eventually become deluxe? It does indeed look like CBR is on track for an upgrade, but it would take a lot to put it on par with other deluxe resorts. I''d be all for an upgraded CBR if I could catch a sky ride to Epcot and HS.
    Beth & David

09/82 Treehouse Villas, 06/86 BVP, 10/95 CBR, 10/99 DI, 08/03 PORS, 10/05 POP, 11/06 AKL, 09/09 POLY, 10/10 Wonder, 05/11 Dream/PORS, 08/13 POLY, 11/13 GF, 04/15 POLY, 11/15 BLT, 11/16 Aulani, 03/17 BLT, 08/18 BLT, 07/19 AKL, 06/21 BLT

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Figment! View Post
    As noted above, right now there is primarily conjecture based on several otherwise odd placed buildings with permits filed in seemingly related time spans.

The placement of the buildings in what could be a "network" is leading to the speculation of an elevated transportation system.

The buildings in question are placed:

• Near Epcot's International Gateway
    • Near the Current Parking Lot for Disney's Boardwalk
    • Near the Current Parking Lot of Disney's Hollywood Studios
    • In An Existing Parking Lot Between Disney's Art of Animation and Disney's Pop Century Resorts
    • In a New Development Near Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort
    • Near the Current Parking Lot for Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort Aruba Section

The planned buildings are noted below with the Dark Blue Dots, the Dark Blue Dashed Line represents a theoretical "loop" style transportation line between Buildings, and the Light Blue Solid Line represents a conjectured "spur" style transportation line between Buildings:

Attachment 4109

Some of these buildings were noted in the other thread regarding the Caribbean Beach construction.
    In looking at your map again does anyone think they might make the Epcot stop at the front of the park? It would be great if you could hop off the sky way and catch a monorail to MK or vice versa. Plus the back entrance at Epcot isn't really suited for mass entry.
    Beth & David

09/82 Treehouse Villas, 06/86 BVP, 10/95 CBR, 10/99 DI, 08/03 PORS, 10/05 POP, 11/06 AKL, 09/09 POLY, 10/10 Wonder, 05/11 Dream/PORS, 08/13 POLY, 11/13 GF, 04/15 POLY, 11/15 BLT, 11/16 Aulani, 03/17 BLT, 08/18 BLT, 07/19 AKL, 06/21 BLT

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by baldburke View Post
    When you say, "say goodbye to resort categories" do you mean that they'll all eventually become deluxe? It does indeed look like CBR is on track for an upgrade, but it would take a lot to put it on par with other deluxe resorts. I''d be all for an upgraded CBR if I could catch a sky ride to Epcot and HS.
    I have heard they are moving to a "location/park access" based resort pricing structure.

Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by baldburke View Post
    Pop Century is considered a value... When they do away with the categories, Pop will no longer be considered a value... I did hear they are looking at "hybrids"... Meaning, well look at Coronado Springs.... Moderate resort right? They are adding deluxe rooms now... So it is going to be a moderate/deluxe hybrid... But don't fool yourself, they will charge you deluxe prices for moderate rooms and super deluxe prices for deluxe room...

I didn't hear what Nat heard, truth be told, I haven't heard what kind of pricing structure they are looking to go... I only heard Bob Chapek is not happy with the "poor" conditions of the resorts in WDW... Which is why you are seeing the beginning of massive resort refurbishments and enhancements...

Just prepare for additional resort fees being added to the current rate...
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Pop Century is considered a value... When they do away with the categories, Pop will no longer be considered a value... I did hear they are looking at "hybrids"... Meaning, well look at Coronado Springs.... Moderate resort right? They are adding deluxe rooms now... So it is going to be a moderate/deluxe hybrid... But don't fool yourself, they will charge you deluxe prices for moderate rooms and super deluxe prices for deluxe room...

I didn't hear what Nat heard, truth be told, I haven't heard what kind of pricing structure they are looking to go... I only heard Bob Chapek is not happy with the "poor" conditions of the resorts in WDW... Which is why you are seeing the beginning of massive resort refurbishments and enhancements...

Just prepare for additional resort fees being added to the current rate...
    Is anyone happy with the "poor" condition of the resorts. Disney for years had a refurb schedule where the rooms received a soft remodel then a hard remodel on a regular basis. Soft remodels were more frequent and changed out only minor things such as new linens, curtains, worn items... while hard remodels were less often but more major. The resorts (even high end) are showing much more wear and the hard remodels are less often.

As for resort fees, why wouldn't they add them. Almost all competing resorts have resort fees, especially at Disneyland. There are costs for the complimentary wifi, pools, newspapers, chocolates.... When their competitors charge a resort fee they are able to lower their regular nightly rate.

Regardless of what they call the resorts there have always been different room rates within each resort. There is zero danger that Pop, All Stars and AoA will become Deluxe resorts. These resorts will continue to have the lowest priced rooms until more new value resorts are added. I think they will likely continue to outsource any new value resorts like they did the ones at Flamingo Crossings. That way they don't have to offer standard resort perks like M.E. and advance FP+. There are already two resorts there with plans for more in the next few years.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    While I agree with you in general, Disney is actually marketing to high income guests and "once in a lifetime" visitors as a strategy. They have said so at the corporate level to employees. They actually have shifted their focus. Expect a lot more upsell opportunities and a gradual phasing out of the resort "categories." And continued price increases.

I don't disagree with you on that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    Disney is actually marketing to high income guests and "once in a lifetime" visitors as a strategy. They have said so at the corporate level to employees. They actually have shifted their focus. Expect a lot more upsell opportunities and a gradual phasing out of the resort "categories." And continued price increases.

From a business perspective, I get this, why waste marketing dollars on people who are already coming anyway. Now what Disney has to be careful of, is pricing too many people out of a visit.
    "Welcome, Foolish Mortals..."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewJackson View Post
    I WDW has changed their mindset over the past decade. It is no longer about repeat customers and loyalty. It is now about once-in-a-lifetime family vacations, and squeezing them for every nickel.
    I TOTALLY agree with this. We have not been back since 2010 as a result.

16. Likes Tekneek liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I would love to see them do away with resort categories. I think it is degrading and unnecessary. They already are outdated and don't really equal the same product or rates. I think a better solution is to have a range of rates within each resort.

Degrading? How would different rates at the same resort be any different?

Post Thanks / Like

I would love to see them do away with resort categories. I think it is degrading and unnecessary. They already are outdated and don't really equal the same product or rates. I think a better solution is to have a range of rates within each resort. Still I doubt you will ever see turndown service or concierge in All Stars. We go every year to WDW and DL most years and spend plenty enough that Disney still sends us plenty of marketing.

How in the world is that degrading? Outside of Disney World, there are many different levels of hotels from Motel 6 to The Connaught. I've stayed in all categories at Disney World multiple times, and my favorite is still the 50s section in Pop Century. I don't feel degraded. I love the theming, the lay out, the food court, the photo opportunities, being able to watch fireworks in the distance, how close the laundry room is, etc. If someone's sense of self worth revolves around what hotel they are staying at, they really need to re-evaluate their life.
    I'll meet you at the Rainbow Bridge.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not a big fan of this. I hate heights. I've forced myself to take gondolas in ski resorts, but I pretty much just stand in the middle, gripping the pole tightly and refuse to look down. I won't use this, and it will just make my favorite resort more crowded. On the bright side, I guess the buses will be less crowded - if they continue the bus service to Epcot and DHS there.
    I'll meet you at the Rainbow Bridge.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cinderelley View Post
    On the bright side, I guess the buses will be less crowded - if they continue the bus service to Epcot and DHS there.
    I imagine they will, at least during the morning and evening rush. The busues one true advantage is that their scalability. When the parks close, they can and often do have multiple buses for the same resort. Like the monorail Disney will only be able to have so many gondolas going at one time. That said, if you want to return to your resort in the middle of the day you may be stuck with the Gondola's.
    "Welcome, Foolish Mortals..."

Post Thanks / Like

Truly detests? Then how do you explain the success of the DVC Sales?

Yes, I do buy less & less souvenirs (except for my T-shirt purchases) - we spend a ton of money on food (restaurants & snacks) - even with bringing groceries for breakfast & a family BBQ.
    SSR & BC DVC Member
    Coming up - BWV July '18
    BWI '98, BWV '05, '08-16
    BLT - '15, '17
    Beach Club '96, BCV - '04, '06, 09
    Swan '07
    Contemporary - '91, '94, '02, '04
    Wilderness Lodge '00, VWL, 08
    Off Site - '80's

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyGiant View Post
    Truly detests? Then how do you explain the success of the DVC Sales?

Yes, I do buy less & less souvenirs (except for my T-shirt purchases) - we spend a ton of money on food (restaurants & snacks) - even with bringing groceries for breakfast & a family BBQ.
    DVC customers are recurring revenue that can be banked on whether they actually visit or not.

Post Thanks / Like

As for resort fees, why wouldn't they add them. Almost all competing resorts have resort fees, especially at Disneyland. There are costs for the complimentary wifi, pools, newspapers, chocolates.... When their competitors charge a resort fee they are able to lower their regular nightly rate.
    The "resort fee" has always been there, really, if you compare prices with similar accomodations off property (at least at WDW). Just like you used to pay for your bags on a plane before too, since that was clearly baked into the price. Adding in these junk fees is simply a way to disguise price increases.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: