Quantcast New Walt Disney World Transportation System?: Updated 4/18/17 with Confirmed Plans

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default New Walt Disney World Transportation System?: Updated 4/18/17 with Confirmed Plans

I have read a rumor in a couple of different places that Disney is looking at building a new Sky Way for transportation purposes linking CB, AoA, and POP with EPCOT and DHS. Based on the diagrams online, there would be a station shared by POP and AoA, that went to a station at CB. From there guest would be able to board a gondola that either went to Epcot, or DHS.
    "Welcome, Foolish Mortals..."

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

That sounds awesome but I'd be curious to hear the odds of it coming to fruition. It would certainly be cheaper than monorails! When I first saw the string I was thinking it was a return of the Sky Way to MK. That's what I'd love to see! It was so much fun but probably such an insurance liability.
    Beth & David

09/82 Treehouse Villas, 06/86 BVP, 10/95 CBR, 10/99 DI, 08/03 PORS, 10/05 POP, 11/06 AKL, 09/09 POLY, 10/10 Wonder, 05/11 Dream/PORS, 08/13 POLY, 11/13 GF, 04/15 POLY, 11/15 BLT, 11/16 Aulani, 03/17 BLT, 08/18 BLT, 07/19 AKL, 06/21 BLT

Post Thanks / Like

How were those particular resorts chosen?

How is this less of a liability outside the parks than within?

They'd have to be enclosed, otherwise Florida weather would prevent usage many times a year. Speaking of which, how safe is it to ride in a gondola if a lightening storm is in progress (enclosed or not)?

Would this be faster than simply taking a bus to Epcot or HS, from POP or AoA?

I have so many questions...
    Genna
    Always Enjoy the
    ¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨Magic¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨

"Now approaching, Mickey's Star Traders"

If You Can Read This...
    ...Thank The Phoenicians!

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like someone's pipe dream. Looking at the properties, this just doesn't seem feasible. A Pop, AoA, CB loop and a CB, EPCOT, DHS loop? With transfers and travel time, the buses would be quicker from Pop and AoA.

Just sounds like a "fake news" story to me.
    -Bud

Walt Disney World:
    9/03 - CBR
    1/09 - BWV
    9/05; 2/07; 12/07; 9/08; 9/09; 9/10; 9/11; 12/13; 12/17; 4/18; 10/18, 4/23 - PC
    5/15 - POR
    1/22 - ASMO
    10/22 - ASMU

Disneyland: 12/15 - Paradise Pier Hotel

Next up: ???

Post Thanks / Like

One of the blogs I read today said that papers have already been filed, so it may not just be a pipe dream.
    1994 PO
    '96 GF (h'moon)
    '02 Cont. tower
    '03 WL
    '05 WL
    '06 GF, WL
    '07 ASMo
    '08 joined DVC: SSR, BWV
    '09 BCV, SSR
    '10 HHI, BCV/BWV
    '11 BLT
    '12 AKL, Dream
    '13 BCV, Fantasy, HHI
    '14 BCV, OKW, HHI
    '15 BCV, HHI, AKL
    '16 BLT, OKW, AKL, SSR, Fantasy
    '17 BLT, GF, AKL, BC
    '18 Wonder

7. Likes DizneyFreak2002 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So my question is: Will it be a "free" perk like other Disney Transportation, or will it come with it's own admission fee? Sounds more like an "attraction" than realistic transportation, like Characters in Flight (balloon ride) at Disney Springs, (even if it does take you from point A to point B).
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

9. Likes Lindsey liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Here is a "report" from another site:

XXXXXXXX,(name withheld due to TOS) an unofficial Disney fan site and forum may have discovered permits for what might be a gondola that could transport guests from Epcot, Disney’s Hollywood Studios, Disney’s Caribbean Beach Resort, and Disney’s Art of Animation.

The expansion of the monorail has for years been seen as too expensive, but speculation is that a gondola system might be a costly way to create another alternative transportation system. The Skyway, an attraction in the Magic Kingdom, was a similar gondola like system that closed on November 9th, 1994. It seems that the new speculated gondola system would be much larger, transport more guests, and include air conditioning.

It has been rumored for some time that Disney is adding a Disney Vacation Club property at Disney’s Caribbean Beach Resort. The addition of a gondola system will certainly help attract more guests to the effected hotels including Disney’s Caribbean Beach Resort.

Gondolas transportation systems are becoming increasing popular in urban planning. New York City, Hong Kong, Singapore, among other large cities have their own gondola systems. Disney could now be following suit.

Nothing official from Disney has been announced on this speculated gondola transportation system.
    Note the "may have" in the first line....
    -Bud

Walt Disney World:
    9/03 - CBR
    1/09 - BWV
    9/05; 2/07; 12/07; 9/08; 9/09; 9/10; 9/11; 12/13; 12/17; 4/18; 10/18, 4/23 - PC
    5/15 - POR
    1/22 - ASMO
    10/22 - ASMU

Disneyland: 12/15 - Paradise Pier Hotel

Next up: ???

11. Likes VWL Mom liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

And this from the Orlando Sentinel:

....Reedy Creek Improvement District, the Disney-controlled government agency, submitted plans to the South Florida Water Management District this week for work associated with various improvements. The plans are vague, but they do show buildings – including one with a V shape – that are elevated 100 feet. The details are leading some to conclude the project could be paving the way for a gondola lift linking some of the theme parks and other areas.

Such systems have been built in other parts of the world. Experts say cable cars would shuttle tourists around in a cost-effective, fun way.

- Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

Post Thanks / Like

While I doubt it would ever happen, it's a logical theory. These three resorts are very close together, and are very close to Epcot and DHS. There is significant road and parking construction around DHS, and it's safe to say that Star War's growing presence there will make getting into DHS very challenging.

A cable car accomplishes the Monorail's objective of off-road transportation but is far more flexible in con$truction restraint$.
    Disney Dream May 2019, WDW Dec 2019

18 Oct ASMv
    16 (APs) Jan POR, Feb CSR, April ASMv, June BC, Oct Pop & Cabins, Dec ASMv & AKL & Pop, Jan '17 POFQ (10k!)
    15 May Pop&CBR pirates
    13 Oct ASMu&AoA
    10 (APs) June CR, Oct AKL&Pop, Dec Pop
    07 March ASMv
    04 June POR
    94 June Onsite

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by VWL Mom
    And this from the Orlando Sentinel:

....Reedy Creek Improvement District, the Disney-controlled government agency, submitted plans to the South Florida Water Management District this week for work associated with various improvements. The plans are vague, but they do show buildings – including one with a V shape – that are elevated 100 feet. The details are leading some to conclude the project could be paving the way for a gondola lift linking some of the theme parks and other areas.

Such systems have been built in other parts of the world. Experts say cable cars would shuttle tourists around in a cost-effective, fun way.

As noted above, right now there is primarily conjecture based on several otherwise odd placed buildings with permits filed in seemingly related time spans.

The placement of the buildings in what could be a "network" is leading to the speculation of an elevated transportation system.

The buildings in question are placed:

• Near Epcot's International Gateway
    • Near the Current Parking Lot for Disney's Boardwalk
    • Near the Current Parking Lot of Disney's Hollywood Studios
    • In An Existing Parking Lot Between Disney's Art of Animation and Disney's Pop Century Resorts
    • In a New Development Near Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort
    • Near the Current Parking Lot for Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort Aruba Section

The planned buildings are noted below with the Dark Blue Dots, the Dark Blue Dashed Line represents a theoretical "loop" style transportation line between Buildings, and the Light Blue Solid Line represents a conjectured "spur" style transportation line between Buildings:

Name:  Presentation1.jpg
Views: 3265
Size:  59.1 KB

Some of these buildings were noted in the other thread regarding the Caribbean Beach construction.
    Figment! aka Jason ºoº
    INTERCOT STAFF
    News, Rumours & Imagineering
    Dining
    Vacations Beyond Disney

~It’s what us storytellers do; we restore order with imagination, we instill hope again and again~

~We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things~

15. Thanks Jeff thanked for this post
    Likes Mackflava99 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation

4/4/17

More construction permits have been filed for this announced multiple site construction project.

Notice of Commencement #20170171816 has been filed with Orange County to build "Foundation and Building Infrastructure" at the following 6 addresses:

251 E. Buena Vista Dr., Bay Lake, FL
    785 Studio Dr., Bay Lake, FL
    1874 Avenue of the Star, Bay Lake, FL
    1910 Animation Way, Bay Lake, FL
    1051 Sea Breeze Dr., Bay Lake, FL
    1074 Sea Breeze Dr., #C, Bay Lake, FL

The permit has a recording date 03/30/2017 and appears to require construction to begin with-in one year from that date.

The construction locations (approximated) and portions of the permit are below:

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 1783
Size:  43.1 KBName:  A.jpg
Views: 1768
Size:  44.9 KBName:  B.jpg
Views: 1733
Size:  46.7 KB

The permit filed from February (as noted below) does not discretely appear in this list, however; it is still strongly speculated to be related to this project based on the timing and resorts involved.

2/15/17

More potential movement on this rumoured/conjectured project with the filing of Application #: 170306-6, Permit#: 48-00714-P with the South Florida Water Management District:

Quote Originally Posted by Application #: 170306-6, Permit#: 48-00714-P
    Atkins is supporting the design of new facility improvements at the Art of Animation Resort. The project
    includes the construction of a new overlook that will be located within the “Hourglass Lake” between this
    resort and the Pop Century Resort. Access to the overlook will be from the pedestrian bridge spanning the
    central portion of the lake. The proposed structure will be supported above the floodplain elevation of the lake
    on a pile foundation system.

Please refer to the attached exhibit for the approximate size and location of the new facility. Associated
    improvements will include utility and area development modifications to support the proposed construction,
    including a new boat ramp to be located on the northern shoreline of the lake. The footprint of the proposed
    facility is approximately 10,000sf, of which all 10,000sf falls over the existing lake. The boat ramp will
    require approximately 2,000sf of new impervious area to provide lake access to the proposed facility. Docks
    or piers are not proposed with this new boat ramp.

These improvements fall within Basin 300, which is part of the C-2 Canal basin within RCID. The C-2 basin
    was shown to have 17.63 ac-ft of surplus water quality treatment volume in calculations submitted in support
    of the SFWMD permit issued under App. No. 170117-29. The additional treatment volume required for Basin
    300 as a result of these proposed improvements is 2.5” over the additional impervious area. This treatment
    depth over the proposed impervious area is 0.06 ac-ft. This leaves a surplus of 17.57 ac-ft of water quality
    treatment volume remaining within the C-2 basin.

The proposed finish floor elevation of the proposed facility is 101.00, which is about the 100-yr flood stage of
    Hourglass Lake (96.55). Floodplain compensation is not provided with this application because the impact
    due to the proposed piles is insubstantial.

This letter is seeking a Minor Modification to SFWMD Permit No. 48-00714-P in support of the proposed
    facility construction. With the treatment for the project area being accounted for in the permitted treatment
    system (Ponds 100, 200, 300 and 400), we feel that the above information shows that no impact to the
    existing permitted system is anticipated with this project.

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 2226
Size:  56.4 KB
    The "overlook" is being conjectured to be one of the elevated transportation system stations. The structure is conjectured to serve as both a new "scenic overlook" of the lake and the transportation station for both the Pop Century and Art of Animation resorts.
    Figment! aka Jason ºoº
    INTERCOT STAFF
    News, Rumours & Imagineering
    Dining
    Vacations Beyond Disney

~It’s what us storytellers do; we restore order with imagination, we instill hope again and again~

~We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things~

Post Thanks / Like

More than a pipe dream... a gondola system is being planned...
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

18. Likes Mackflava99 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

All I have to say is - I know there were for a fact plans at one time to link all the resorts via monorail... and this is a sad substitute to the highway in the sky. Disappointing - but at least it's not more Busses...
    John - aka. The Master Control Program
    Owner, Chairman & Chief Imagination Officer - INTERCOT

20. Likes williamabutler liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I hope, it is such a "Disney" thing, but I just don't know if we'll ever actually see it. It seems fraught with potential problems and issues. Is Disney just filing the permits "in case"? Or, is this an actual "maybe"?
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

I kind of like this idea. Currently, I can walk from CBR to Hollywood Studios in 20 minutes, that's faster than the bus and why I do it. Speculating only here, but moving as fast as the gondolas do here at our ski hill, it looks like a gondola from CBR to Hollywood studios would have you there in 4-5 minutes. Epcot in around 10-12 minutes. Hollywood Studios from AOA/POP may be 6-10 minutes.. worse case scenario 11-20 minutes depending on the line up when you get to CBR. It looks like there is only one major transfer station at CBR. Because gondolas are continuous motion they load and unload quickly and efficiently. As far as the weather is concerned, gondolas are enclosed and are built to withstand horrible, winter mountain conditions. I can't see there being a problem, I've been in them in some stormy conditions with a good wind blowing! (They also utilize lightening eliminators.) Much more pleasant than a chair lift. In addition gondolas usually have more than one engine to prevent you being stuck too long in the event of a breakdown.
    I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way.

23. Thanks magicofdisney thanked for this post
    Likes Mackflava99 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

There's a gondola in NYC?! Going to google now...
    Upcoming:
    Jan/Feb 2018

Animal Kingdom Lodge - 2017

Cypress Palms - 2014

Port Orleans - French Quarter - 2006
    Bonnet Creek Resort - 2004, 2009, 2010, 2012, 2016

Paradise Pier (Disneyland) - 2003
    Coronado Springs - 2001

Wilderness Lodge - 2000

Dixie Landings (now Port Orleans - Riverside) - 1999

Post Thanks / Like

I think it's a better idea than more buses. I wish they had actually maintained the monorail better all these years because it is always breaking down now. I think gondolas are probably more reliable.

I'm pretty sure these would NOT be continuous moving ones though. They are supposed to accommodate strollers and wheelchairs/ECVs so I imagine these would be the detachable kind that load while stationary and then hook onto the line when they are ready.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyFreak2002 View Post
    More than a pipe dream... a gondola system is being planned...
    I've heard this from someone inside the WDW company as well. Project in the works however not yet fully approved.
    "One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation, right at the start of everything thats new, one little spark lights up for you!"

ºoº

Mom to our little Prince Everett and Princess Adelaide
    August 2020 Caribbean Beach!
    Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate.

27. Likes DizneyFreak2002 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Wonder if you will no pay more to stay at a "gondola" resort like you do for monorail resorts?
    Pop is my favorite value. Hate to see a price increase if the gondola system went in.
    Bern

WDW - 85,88,89,96,08,10,12,13,16,18,19
    Universal - Cabana Bay, May 2019

August 2020 - Port Orleans Riverside

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dulcee View Post
    I've heard this from someone inside the WDW company as well. Project in the works however not yet fully approved.
    One question and this is not meant to offend anyone. How will it work for guests in wheelchairs or scooters? Or would it be not an option for them?
    Disney Cruise 2017
    AKL 2016
    PORR 2015
    Beach Club 2013
    POP Century August 2011
    Disney Cruise Dream 2011
    Cruise Disney Wonder 2006
    Wilderness Lodge, 04, 06, 08, 10
    Allstar Movies 02
    Allstar Sports 96. 98, 00
    Offsite 2015 x2, 90,89, 85

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast