Quantcast What Are You Watching 2017

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool What Are You Watching 2017

HELLOOOOO OUT THERE!!! This forum has been slow lately. I thought I'd throw out some of the newer shows I've finally gotten around to watching and see what everyone else was watching! Tell me about the shows you like (and any you tried and disliked). I will remain pretty spoiler free for now. If there is enough interest in a particular show we could branch out into a new thread.

The Crown (Netflix)- WOW! Started a little slow for me, but I ended up loving it. Although I like British period pieces and Jane Austen, I don't consider myself much of an Anglophile, plus I'm too young to have been alive when these events went down. I really enjoyed it.

Victoria (PBS)- The CGI is pretty glaring and off-putting but it's not used too often. I'm enjoying it so far. Again, I don't know much British history (although Ironically Victorian era in American history is one of my areas of expertise haha) but these shows are piquing my interest.

Westworld (HBO)- This one is a bit of a slow burn, and you really have to pay attention. On the whole, DH and I really enjoyed it, with a few minor issues.

This Is US (NBC)- Tells the story of a family through their present day situations interlaced with flashbacks with their past. Also interlaces stories of people who intersect with their lives along the way. A bit of a tear jerker. I've cried in 3 of the episodes, but I know people who have cried in all of them, so you are forewarned! I think it's one of the smartest new ideas in TV that I've seen in a long time.

Doctor Thorne (Amazon Prime)- Julian Fellows of Downton Abby fame was involved with this adaptation of an Anthony Trollope novel. It's only a few episodes, but it was fun and I enjoyed it. He does a little classic Masterpiece Theater bit with intros and outros for each episode that I found entertaining.

Luke Cage (Netlflix)- Only a few episodes in and it's OK so far. Not loving it like Daredevil or Jessica Jones, if you are keeping up with these Marvel universe shows.

Shows I've fallen away from...
    The Walking Dead. This was once must see TV for us, but we are 3 episodes behind and chose to watch entire seasons of other shows before going back to this, so I guess that says something.

Once Upon A Time. Haven't watched in 2 seasons.

Modern Family- We will watch it from time to time and it still makes us laugh, but it's not a must-see
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I just started This is Us, I needed the emotion that this show brings. I can't explain why but I needed it.

I fell off of Once Upon a Time as well. I always looked forward to this show but it lost me last season I just couldn't stay with it.

I do stay with Walking dead, mostly because my sister buys each season on Vudu and I can still watch it weekly. I don't have cable so I am limited on what I can watch that is current.

I was really into Bloodline last year, but some of these shows the seasons are too far apart to really stick with them
    șoș Lizzy șoș

I am only one; but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something. I will not refuse to do the something I can do. --Helen Keller

Former VMK: dizzylizzy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lizzy View Post
    I just started This is Us, I needed the emotion that this show brings. I can't explain why but I needed it.
    Yes! I totally agree. It's cathartic to feel emotion.
    ~M.~

11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

I can't think of a single show we watch on the major networks. Most of the shows are pretty bad and tend to have agendas they try to jamb down your throat, especially ABC. I haven't watch a series on ABC in years. We used to watch all the comedies on CBS such as The Big Bang Theory, Mom, Two Broke Girls and Mike and Molly but they kept changing days with them from Monday to Thursday and back to Monday and back to Thursday and working them around Nfl football. All this shifting around caused us to miss episodes because we would forget when they come on and I finally just said to heck with it, I am not chasing the shows around and trying to keep up with it anymore. I haven't watched any of them in over a year.

I am back to watching The Walking Dead. They lost me for a bit but I came back and caught up. My interest is starting to waver again. These split seasons tend to lose me because just about the time I get interested again, they quit showing new episodes. I just can't stay engaged with these short runs to two half seasons. There is a good chance they are going to lose me this time around.

I discovered Shameless which is a Showtime original but I don't have showtime, I stream it. I am not one of those that will pay a premium for what is supposed to be a premium movie channel just to watch a TV show that should be on regular cable or a network. This show is hilarious at times and all over the place; you never know what is going to happen.

I watch Discovery channel quite a bit. I still like Gold Rush and Deadliest Catch.

We find ourselves watching networks and cable less and less each year. It may not be many more years until we join the cable cutters. The prime time tv show selection is getting pretty pathetic.

Post Thanks / Like

Grand Tour. Other than that and the Goldberg's - I don't watch much in the way of series. Mostly movies on the weekends.

Do wish they would have made another season of the IT Crowd though....
    John - aka. The Master Control Program
    Owner, Chairman & Chief Imagination Officer - INTERCOT

Post Thanks / Like

Pure Genius on CBS is something new and enjoying the tech/med storyline.
    Waiting for baseball to return.............

BWV & HH

Post Thanks / Like

The history in Victoria is pretty far off course. I haven't watched yet, but I've heard. Doesn't matter. With Rufus Sewell involved, I will tune in. I also enjoyed the Crown.

Two of my new favorites, Good Behavior with Michelle Dockery (Mary from Downton Abbey). Excellent show. And Taboo, with Tom Hardy. I admit I'm watching because Tom Hardy, but I got into it.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SBETigg View Post
    The history in Victoria is pretty far off course. I haven't watched yet, but I've heard. Doesn't matter. With Rufus Sewell involved, I will tune in. I also enjoyed the Crown.
    Yeah, I assumed that, a lot of it so far focuses on aspects of her her private life which no one could possibly know. They seem to have taken liberty with rumors and the like but it makes for a good show!
    ~M.~

11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come

Post Thanks / Like

With regard to new network shows, the wife watches This is Us, but I think that is her only one. I've watched two, Timeless and Designated Survivor. Both of them are good, not great, and I just don't see them having the legs to go deep into multiple seasons. Both sort of took the Quantico playbook, which is basically create this mystery right at the beginning, then slowly allow bits and pieces of it to fall into place, while adding new puzzles at the same time. Quantico has dropped dramatically after season 1, and I can see both Timeless and Designated Survivor being the same. Part of it too is, the characters/actors haven't quite pulled me fully in yet. As a family we will record and watch the new McGyver. Again not great, but the younger kids seem to enjoy it, and pretty difficult to find shows the entire family can watch.

I just finished watching Sherlock on Masterpiece, unfortunately only three episodes, but I love that series. I've just started watching season 2 of The Man in the High Castle on Amazon Prime. Very good show, kind of a multiple alternate universe show based on Nazi Germany and Imperial Japan winning WWII, with Japan occupying pretty much everything west of the Rockies and Germany everything east. Rufus Sewell is a main character, playing a German Officer in New York.

A new show called Hunted just aired. Recorded it yet, but haven't watched.

I think its FX, has a show called Taboo that looked interesting, but haven't caught it yet.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SBETigg View Post
    Check my comment on Amazon's Man in the High Castle - stars Rufus Sewell

12. Thanks SBETigg thanked for this post
    Likes SBETigg liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Man in the High Castle is next on the list for hubs and me to watch together. We watched the pilot way back when and loved it, but never got back around to actual watching the series. After we finish Luke Cage, we plan to start it.
    ~M.~

11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come

Post Thanks / Like

My TV viewing is all over the place. I watched The Crown on Netflix and Good Girls Revolt on Amazon and liked both shows. Look forward to future seasons.

NCIS franchise- I have always loved the NCIS franchise, especially the Los Angeles spin off. That is mostly because of Chris O'Donnell

Timeless- Enjoy the time travel to historical events most of the time (French-Indian War episode was a bit slow). I tell my history major background to take a backseat for that hour and enjoy it for the fantasy that it represents.

This is Us- Also a fan, though I don't overly emotional watching it, with the exception the episode with Kate and watching Steelers games with her Dad.

Criminal Minds- I have stayed with show with its numerous casting changes (I still miss the character of Derek Morgan) but the writing keeps me watching.

Blackish- Only show on ABC I watch. Started to watch because of Anthony Anderson (I give every show that has Law and Order alumni a chance) and loved it.

Chicago Med- Gave it a try for S. Epatha Merkerson (see Law and Order comment above) and became an instant fan. It makes me remember how much I loved ER back in the day.

Magyver- fun show that like Timeless has me suspend reality for an hour

Used to love Blue Bloods, but it has begun to annoy me this season and is not as much of a must see.

I like having TV on in the background while I do things around the house, usually it is old Law and Order episodes. Monday is the only day that there isn't a channel that is showing episodes.
    Christine șoș

Intercot Staff-Accommodations, Dining, Guests with Special Needs

Please support Intercot's Sponsors

Post Thanks / Like

I am loving Victoria (accuracy, schmaccuracy!), and am on my third watch through of The Crown. It was magnificent and I can't wait for new episodes.

This is Us - I am one episode behind but I watch it with my DF and he was out of town the past two weeks. I have not liked Mandy Moore as an actress but she's pretty good in it. It's a very well done show all around!

West World - It took me a long time to figure out what was going on (like not until the season finale!) but I ended up really enjoying the show and will watch through it again soon. I am sure it will make more sense with a rewatch.

The OA (Netflix)- I've stalled a little with this series but the first two episodes were very intriguing. It's a unique show, good acting so far.

Stranger Things (Netflix) - It's creepy but I loved it! Looking forward to more episodes of this as well.

Crazy Ex Girlfriend (the CW) - The first season is on Netflix but we don't have cable tv so will have to wait for the season 2 episodes. It's a great show - funny, smart, and the cast is so talented. It's almost like if Kimmy Schmidt were a musical.

Speechless (ABC) - my favorite new network show. It's also the first sitcom I've enjoyed in years. It shows a real view of how one family manages a son with CP. He is portrayed by an actor who has CP as well. It takes a humorous but genuine look at how kids/teens with disabilities are treated by their family and society as a whole.

We used to watch Empire but I fell off of that after 3 episodes this season. Taraji P. Henson is incredible as Cookie but the plot lines just got way too Dallas-y for me. We are a couple episodes behind on Designated Survivor - I liked it but now I am not so keen on watching American political shows, even fictional ones.

Honestly, with everything going on politically and socially, when I want to escape I watch Food Network. The app has some free content but I use my mom's cable login to stream live. It's so relaxing and takes me out of all the stuff going on in my head for a while. Kid's Baking Championship is adorable and I don't think I can be in a bad mood for very long after watching an episode of Barefoot Contessa.
    ~Nikki~
    Last Trip: February 2024
    Next Trips: April 2024

Post Thanks / Like

Oh wow, we watch a lot of tv so here goes...

We of course are still sucked in by reality so Celebrity Apprentice, Bachelor, and things like Gold Rush etc.

We did watch Pure Genius and enjoyed it but I don't know if it is coming back.

We enjoyed Designated Survivor as well and I do think it has legs for a couple seasons.

I'm loving both Speechless and American Housewife. The mom on American Housewife has my exact level of snarkiness.

We of course like all cooking shows still, looking forward to Master Chef Jr in a couple weeks and I need to catch up on Kid's Baking Championship.

This Is Us=All the Feels. Ugly crying during that show sometimes.

We are looking for something new to binge watch, oh other than that darn Scientology show-thanks a lot fellow Intercotees for that one!!
    Janet, aka JanetMegan

Scrapbooking-There is a fine line between a mental illness and a hobby.

Wmsbrg, VA (12 hours & 22 minutes from WDW!)
    Post Thanks / Like

Been watching a lot of Green Acres and I am really looking forward to "The Mist" being made into a show. I am a huge fan of Stephen King and will see/watch anything that has his name associated.
    "When hinges creak in doorless chambers... and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls.. whenever candlelights flicker... where the air is deathly still... that is the time when ghosts are present... practicing their terror with ghoulish delight."

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Wow you people are missing out on some great TV!

Watched all of Sons of Anarchy and Breaking Bad. Both were top notch, although the nod for the best goes to SoA. If you enjoyed The Sopranos you'll definitely like SoA.

I just finished up watching season 4 of Better Call Saul, which is a prequel to Breaking Bad. Great show with some truly great writing and acting.

My new absolute treasure is Man In the High Castle (Amazon). If you haven't watched this yet drop whatever you're doing and get ready to binge. It is literally the best show since the Sopranos.

I also just finished Hulu's Handmaid's Tale. Might not be to everyone's tastes (it's a bit dark), but it's excellent. Many thanks to Canada for recommending this!

I've worked my way through about half of FX's The Americans, but I'm kinda over it I think. Acting was decent, but the plots are just too far-fetched and implausible to make it durable. I will say, though, if you're a child of the 70's and 80's it's kind of entertaining for the period aspects alone.

I remain addicted to Deadliest Catch. I've been watching this religiously since season one and haven't lost anything in terms of my enjoyment of the show. I do miss the Cornelia Marie crew this year, though.

Like John, I adore The Goldberg's. This show has a local connection (it's set in my wife's hometown which is just a few miles from me) and is an absolute riot.

I've watched all of Netflix's Orange Is the New Black and that's quite good, as well. Again, very adult and serious (for the most part), but well acted and well written.

Also a good watch is Netflix's Black Mirror. If you are at all a fan of The Twilight Zone, you'll enjoy this series. It's very Zone-esque but with a modern technology twist. Warning in advance, though, some of the episodes are a bit ... weird. And not really in a good way lol ... just weird.

I'm in a bit of a lull right now, but I'm looking around for the next series I'm going to watch.
    Last edited by Ian; 08-17-2017 at 03:11 PM.
    Ian șOș
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! ș0ș

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I've been going back to the '90s and am watching through Twin Peaks. I love it, will watch the new episodes when I'm done with season 2. I also love a good Golden Girls marathon on Hulu.

Husband and I are slogging through the new season of House of Cards - it's been pretty blah so far. To be honest I haven't really liked the show much after season 2. We need to finish this before starting Orange is the New Black so that's my motivation.
    ~Nikki~
    Last Trip: February 2024
    Next Trips: April 2024

Post Thanks / Like

I believe that starting tonight, that if you have Comcast (Xfinity) on demand that they are doing a free week of HBO on demand. I'm sure this is because of the soon to be launched season 7 of Game of Thrones. I know I'll be binge watching S6 of GOT, which I haven't seen yet.

To update some other cable shows that are pretty good (in addition to the ones Ian listed) I would recommend the following.

The White Queen - not sure how completely historically accurate it is, but it cover the period of English history dealing with the War of the Roses.

Mercy Street - only two seasons, and then I think cancelled, but deals with a Civil War hospital that is placed in occupied Virginia under Union rule.

Grantchester - S3 is airing right now on Masterpiece (PBS) and is one of my favorite shows currently. Takes place in the '50's shortly after WWII and pairs a Vicar (who served in the Scotish Guards) with a curmudgeonly local detective (who served in Burma) who find they have things in common (a pint and a game of backgammon) and end up solving local mysteries. Definitely worth the watch.

Orphan Black - S7 is currently airing on BBCAmerica. Not a show you can just jump into, but this is the final season. Worth a look if you can find the earlier seasons.

Ripper Street - also BBCAmerica. Series just concluded this year, takes place in White Chapel London, just after the Ripper murders, stars Mathew McFayden as a more modern detective in sort of a stone age system.

Broadchurch - again BBCAmerica, stars David Tennant (Dr. Who - Harry Potter). Season 3 currently airing. Two detectives following a murder story arc in a small English seaside town.

Luther - a BBC show starring Idris Elba who is getting more and more attention as he does movies. A British detective with some moral grey areas.

Outlander - Starz Channel. Was only able to catch 6 episodes during a preview week, but liked it. Sort of alternate universe, a British nurse newly married just after WWII is mysteriously transported back into time in Scotland. I think they've done at least two seasons.

Unfortunately there are still too many shows in my favorites list that I haven't gotten round to seeing yet.

Post Thanks / Like

How to Get Away with Murder on Netflix featuring Viola Davis. I love it so far and would give it 4/5 stars. I would give it 5/5 stars, but it has way too many sex scenes in it and that really ruins the drama of the show for me.
    "I want to be apart of your world."

All Star Music 2000-present & future

Post Thanks / Like

Had to jump back onto this thread and mention that we are binge watching Shameless on Netflix. OMG ya'll. Not a show I would watch with my mom but we are loving it. VERY dysfunctional. It makes Animal Kingdom look like child's play.
    Janet, aka JanetMegan

Scrapbooking-There is a fine line between a mental illness and a hobby.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: