Quantcast Uber

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Thread: Uber

Post Thanks / Like

Default Uber

Can someone explain to me how this works and what I have to do to use it? I thought we may use it if we resort hop. We don't have Uber here so I'm not familiar with the specifics.

Thanks!
    Tinkerbell:)
    1996 - All Star Music
    1997 - All Star Music
    1998 - All Star Movies
    2000 - All Star Movies
    June 2002 - Caribbean Beach Resort
    May 2006 - Port Orleans Riverside
    April 2014 - All Star Movies
    April 2017 - Port Orleans Riverside Royal Room!
    April 2019 - French Quarter

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Instead of hiring a taxi, you're hiring a private person to come pick you up. Download the app, plug in where you are & where you want to go, and choose a nearby driver. You pay through the app & can tip after the ride if you want, so no money changes hands. I like using Uber in Disney. It's really easy, not as pricey as a taxi, and very convenient.
    1994 PO
    '96 GF (h'moon)
    '02 Cont. tower
    '03 WL
    '05 WL
    '06 GF, WL
    '07 ASMo
    '08 joined DVC: SSR, BWV
    '09 BCV, SSR
    '10 HHI, BCV/BWV
    '11 BLT
    '12 AKL, Dream
    '13 BCV, Fantasy, HHI
    '14 BCV, OKW, HHI
    '15 BCV, HHI, AKL
    '16 BLT, OKW, AKL, SSR, Fantasy
    '17 BLT, GF, AKL, BC
    '18 Wonder

Post Thanks / Like

It's very easy. Once you download the app to your phone, it walks you through the process. Essentially, Ubers in your current area will pop up on a little map, along with how far away each is in minutes. When you request a ride, a nearby driver will be pinged on their phone and the first to accept your trip will then pop up on your screen, and tell you how quickly it will arrive, the name of the driver, and their license plate number and car make/model. There will be a "contact driver" button in case you need to speak to him/her. Often the driver will call you and let you know they are on the way or they will call when they arrive. You should not order the car until you are physically AT the spot you want to be picked up at. They come very fast, usually less than 5min. Be ready to go. Once the car arrives and you confirm the car details, the driver will say your name "Uber for Tinkerbell23." Get in, the driver will confirm your destination. Your app will indicate "your trip has started" and switch to a map view that shows your car's path. Once you arrive, hand the driver a few bucks (technically, a tip isn't required, BUT the driver will give you a rating and you want a good one or in the future you might have a hard time getting a ride)..You cannot pay this through the app...Keep some cash for this. For resort to resort short trips, tip $3-5 each way. The fare will be so low (usually under $10) it's not a big deal.

At the end of the trip, you will have a chance to rate the driver.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Check the rate before booking, we've had a few surcharge rates pop up this week at times which are typically not busy. Wait 5 or 10 minutes and try again.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    You cannot pay this through the app...Keep some cash for this. For resort to resort short trips, tip $3-5 each way. The fare will be so low (usually under $10) it's not a big deal.

At the end of the trip, you will have a chance to rate the driver.
    The last time I used Uber (in August, to go from AKL to Contemporary) I was able to tip from the app. I think. I'm pretty sure I did.

EDIT: I never realized that Uber doesn't allow you to tip through the app! My husband usually orders the Uber, so this was my first time actually using it myself. I remember rating the driver, and I guess I thought I tipped then, too. Evidently you can get down-rated as a rider if you don't tip! Yikes!
    1994 PO
    '96 GF (h'moon)
    '02 Cont. tower
    '03 WL
    '05 WL
    '06 GF, WL
    '07 ASMo
    '08 joined DVC: SSR, BWV
    '09 BCV, SSR
    '10 HHI, BCV/BWV
    '11 BLT
    '12 AKL, Dream
    '13 BCV, Fantasy, HHI
    '14 BCV, OKW, HHI
    '15 BCV, HHI, AKL
    '16 BLT, OKW, AKL, SSR, Fantasy
    '17 BLT, GF, AKL, BC
    '18 Wonder

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Basket Mommy View Post
    The last time I used Uber (in August, to go from AKL to Contemporary) I was able to tip from the app. I think. I'm pretty sure I did.

EDIT: I never realized that Uber doesn't allow you to tip through the app! My husband usually orders the Uber, so this was my first time actually using it myself. I remember rating the driver, and I guess I thought I tipped then, too. Evidently you can get down-rated as a rider if you don't tip! Yikes!
    Lyft allows tipping through the app. Uber still doesn't, although they really should at this point. The "tips are not required" is BS. The entire ride for hire industry operates that way.

Even with tipping, it's far cheaper than taxi fare (taxi drivers also expect tips).
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VWL Mom View Post
    Check the rate before booking, we've had a few surcharge rates pop up this week at times which are typically not busy. Wait 5 or 10 minutes and try again.

How do you check the rate before booking?
    Tinkerbell:)
    1996 - All Star Music
    1997 - All Star Music
    1998 - All Star Movies
    2000 - All Star Movies
    June 2002 - Caribbean Beach Resort
    May 2006 - Port Orleans Riverside
    April 2014 - All Star Movies
    April 2017 - Port Orleans Riverside Royal Room!
    April 2019 - French Quarter

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkerbell23 View Post
    How do you check the rate before booking?
    You put in where you want to go and what size vehicle and it will give you a quote. If a surcharge is involved it states it then and there with no guessing. If you agree you hit confirm.

Post Thanks / Like

Just curious...does anyone think that Uber is adding to traffic in and around WDW? I don't know that we noticed anything on our last trip but I was just cruious what others thought. And if it is adding to traffic headaches then it would be interesting to see how Disney would react either through restrictions or other offerings of their own.
    Beth & David

09/82 Treehouse Villas, 06/86 BVP, 10/95 CBR, 10/99 DI, 08/03 PORS, 10/05 POP, 11/06 AKL, 09/09 POLY, 10/10 Wonder, 05/11 Dream/PORS, 08/13 POLY, 11/13 GF, 04/15 POLY, 11/15 BLT, 11/16 Aulani, 03/17 BLT, 08/18 BLT, 07/19 AKL, 06/21 BLT

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think they've added to the traffic. The people using Uber are mostly the ones that previously used cabs IMO.
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

12. Likes baldburke liked this post

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: