Quantcast Rogue One

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Thread: Rogue One

Post Thanks / Like

Red face Rogue One

Who saw it? Who loved it?
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

My daughter saw it and said it was ok. Weird for her as she loves Star Wars.

Post Thanks / Like

I was bit lukewarm on it, as well. It was good overall ... good story ... cool tie ins to the original film, but very slow to build and I felt the score and character development really lacked. Ranking it among the five films worth discussing I would definitely put it last.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Saw it yesterday. I liked it. Not as good as last years-The Force Awakens.
    First visit 1976
    Offsite 1982/1985/2000
    Disneyland July 1996
    AKL 2002/Sept 2011
    Paradise Pier-DL July 2005
    Contemporary Sept 2006/Nov 2014
    Port Orleans-Riverside Sept 2008/July 2014/Nov 2018
    Port Orleans-FQ-Nov 2012
    Paradise Pier-DLH DL 2013/2015/2017 and D-23 Expo

Post Thanks / Like

Hoping to take a break from unpacking tonite and see it....
    Last edited by John; 12-19-2016 at 08:00 AM.

7. Likes baldburke liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Just as Disney created a stand alone, you have to treat it as a stand alone. Yes, it's tied into the SW story with the plans but it's a lot unlike any SW movie you've seen before. Not having the scroll at the beginning sort of puts you out there as they try to deliver some key aspects to the story line quickly and without much info. I don't think it matters as true fans will likely see it multiple times in the theater. It was a nice departure from the traditional SW film where last year's TFA felt more comfortable and familiar. It should be fun to see where Disney takes us in next year's still untitled Episode 8.
    Beth & David

09/82 Treehouse Villas, 06/86 BVP, 10/95 CBR, 10/99 DI, 08/03 PORS, 10/05 POP, 11/06 AKL, 09/09 POLY, 10/10 Wonder, 05/11 Dream/PORS, 08/13 POLY, 11/13 GF, 04/15 POLY, 11/15 BLT, 11/16 Aulani, 03/17 BLT, 08/18 BLT, 07/19 AKL, 06/21 BLT

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by baldburke View Post
    J It was a nice departure from the traditional SW film where last year's TFA felt more comfortable and familiar. It should be fun to see where Disney takes us in next year's still untitled Episode 8.
    I like to hear that. TFA should feel comfortable and familiar as JJ Abrams simply remade Star Wars, or about 90% of it anyway. ESB was on tv over the weekend, just reminded of how good they really could be. Looking forward to seeing Rogue One and hoping the other movies, like the Han Solo origins movie do justice to the series. $155M opening weekend wasn't a bad sign for it or Disney.

10. Likes baldburke liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Much better than The Force Awakens. In the top 3 or 4 Star Wars movies.
    It really adds to the Star Wars story and makes you want to rewatch episode iv.

12. Likes Mickey'sGirl liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Saw it yesterday for the first time in a (not surprisingly) sold out theater.

Unlike the previous seven films it was a bit harder to follow the characters when 95% of them are new and you don't get a great feel for their back story. Almost felt like this could have been its own 1-3 movie series, with Rogue 1 being the concluding chapter. More character info and development on the leads certainly couldn't have hurt.

As someone who saw Star Wars (refuse to call it A New Hope) as a kid in the '70's, I certainly enjoyed seeing and catching many of the references, the most subtle being when Cassian gets bumped into by the same two ruffians that Luke later encounters in the Catina scene.

When I saw Force Awakens, I enjoyed it, but after, on reflection, realized that it wasn't much more than simply a reboot of A New Hope, and that dampened my overall ranking of it. Haven't seen it a second time yet.

Rogue 1 I thought was good and will be curious to see how it holds up under a second viewing (this time without abandoned kids talking behind me the whole movie).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gerald72 View Post
    Much better than The Force Awakens. In the top 3 or 4 Star Wars movies.
    It really adds to the Star Wars story and makes you want to rewatch episode iv.
    Agreed, I'd rank it up there top three SW movies probably.

15. Likes Mickey'sGirl liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Saw it Thursday night (opening night), loved it, especially the ending... CHILLS!!!!!
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Post Thanks / Like

I loved it. I really cared about the characters and their rebellion. It left me in tears even though I knew what was going to happen.
    Jennifer (aka Mickey'sGirl)
    INTERCOT Staff: Guests with Special Needs, Dining and Disney Characters

Last trip: March 2016 - Fantasy
    Next trip: Aug 2017 - Aulani

I am a Galactic Hero once more!

18. Likes DizneyFreak2002 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Saw it yesterday on an IMAX 3D screen...Generally, I have trouble sitting through an entire movie without fidgeting in the seat, but this had me riveted. 2 1/2 hours and I never moved.

The movie itself was very well done, with good pacing and enough references to the regular Star Wars series to keep everyone happy, but had a story line and characters that allow it to stand on its own.

Couldn't keep away from spoilers, so I knew some of what was going to transpire, but was still fully engrossed and "involved" when everything happened. The spoilers didn't actually spoil anything, at least for me.

Definitely a good 'derivative' feature that fed into the main narrative nicely. Well worth viewing on the big screen.
    -Bud

Walt Disney World:
    9/03 - CBR
    1/09 - BWV
    9/05; 2/07; 12/07; 9/08; 9/09; 9/10; 9/11; 12/13; 12/17; 4/18; 10/18, 4/23 - PC
    5/15 - POR
    1/22 - ASMO
    10/22 - ASMU

Disneyland: 12/15 - Paradise Pier Hotel

Next up: ???

20. Likes DizneyFreak2002 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

After watching it, I thought Rogue One was the most entertaining movie of the Star Wars saga since "A New Hope" was released in 1977.
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

22. Likes PopPhan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PopPhan View Post

The movie itself was very well done, with good pacing and enough references to the regular Star Wars series to keep everyone happy, but had a story line and characters that allow it to stand on its own.
    I enjoyed it as well and am looking forward to a second view (dissapointed that I couldn't get to it over the New Year's holiday. Only disagreement I have with your assessment is that I don't think it can (or really should) stand on its own. If you went into that theater and had never heard of Star Wars and any of its 7 movies, I don't think you come away with the same feelings on the movie as someone that is familiar with the cannon.

Sort of like Magical Beasts and Where to Find them. That one was probably more stand alone than Rogue One, but it too presumes that its audience knows the cannon and can fill in the blanks without having to have the story teller do it for them.

Good example "the kyhber crystals power a Jedi's lightsaber". Everyone here knows exactly what that means, but if you walked into the movie not knowing anything, you'd be pretty confused.

I think it would be very difficult for any Star Wars story to be stand alone. Even an origins story like Han Solo will have some constraints to it, having to conform to knowing where Han ends up and how he is.

I wish they had done a Rogue One trilogy, and this would have been the concluding chapter.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: