Quantcast Afternoon tea at Grand Floridian

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Afternoon tea at Grand Floridian

Has anyone been to Afternoon Tea at the Grand recently?

I have a reservation for myself, my sister in law, her daughter (6), and her mom in Feb. We have never been and it's one of the things we are most looking forward to on our upcoming trip. Any tips, suggestions, not to be missed menu items?

How much should we dress up? I know that there isn't a strict dress code, but will we feel underdressed if we don't wear a sundress or such? I was thinking more like linen pants, cami and a cardigan dressed up a bit with jewelry and cute sandals. But I don't want to arrive and feel underdressed if everyone else is decked out! LOL.

As much as I am looking forward to this I must admit that I am not a tea drinker! I am going more for the experience than for a love of tea. Is there a specific tea that anyone might suggest, like a "safe" option? I tend to like sweater drinks. I am sure the CMs are very helpful with this kind of question, just wondering if anyone here has any suggestions. I am open to trying anything, and I can always request a glass of water just incase.

Thanks!
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

We have been fans of the tea, since a fellow INTERCOTee introduced us to it a few years ago, and we went again this past August (with my Mom - it was her first time).

We always stick to the basic tea menu. It is a decent variety of food, and it is already fairly expensive, so it helps keeps the costs somewhat reasonable.

We love the sage cheese on the cheese/fruit plate. It looks strange but tastes SO GOOD. You can also get the variety of tea sandwiches, or ask for just your favourites. DD is a picky eater, so she gets all ham and cheese!

No, you won't feel underdressed. We saw people really fancy, and in park clothes. I intended to wear a dress, but the monorail was so slow that I didn't have time to get changed. I had on black capris, running shoes (I'd been at Epcot), and a nice shirt and no one took a second look.

There is (as you guessed) a wide variety of tea options. My Mom doesn't drink tea either, and the tea expert helped her find one to try that she actually liked! She drank the whole cup! There are traditional teas (although they did get rid of the Russian Earl Grey, my very favourite), and herbal teas, so there is lots to choose from, and yes, you could always have something else to drink (they have water, juice, pop) if nothing seems to quite suit you.

Hope you enjoy!
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

4. Likes SBETigg liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ibelieveindisneymagic View Post
    We have been fans of the tea, since a fellow INTERCOTee introduced us to it a few years ago, and we went again this past August (with my Mom - it was her first time).

We always stick to the basic tea menu. It is a decent variety of food, and it is already fairly expensive, so it helps keeps the costs somewhat reasonable.

We love the sage cheese on the cheese/fruit plate. It looks strange but tastes SO GOOD. You can also get the variety of tea sandwiches, or ask for just your favourites. DD is a picky eater, so she gets all ham and cheese!

No, you won't feel underdressed. We saw people really fancy, and in park clothes. I intended to wear a dress, but the monorail was so slow that I didn't have time to get changed. I had on black capris, running shoes (I'd been at Epcot), and a nice shirt and no one took a second look.

There is (as you guessed) a wide variety of tea options. My Mom doesn't drink tea either, and the tea expert helped her find one to try that she actually liked! She drank the whole cup! There are traditional teas (although they did get rid of the Russian Earl Grey, my very favourite), and herbal teas, so there is lots to choose from, and yes, you could always have something else to drink (they have water, juice, pop) if nothing seems to quite suit you.

Hope you enjoy!
    That fellow Intercotee would be me, along with my sister and our mother !

Like Heather said, the tea is a lot of fun. You are served a fair amount of food, so I think it would replace lunch on that day.
    Christine șoș

Intercot Staff-Accommodations, Dining, Guests with Special Needs

Please support Intercot's Sponsors

6. Likes SBETigg liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've never been, but some of my Disney Youtubers have been there, and they've never worn anything super nice. They wore shorts and tshirts. I just wouldn't wear beach/pool wear coverup stuff.
    "I want to be apart of your world."

All Star Music 2000-present & future

Post Thanks / Like

Love the afternoon tea! It is a fair amount of food so it would easily take care of a late lunch.
    "Is there a 12 step program for this Mouse addiction?"

Next Trips:

11/18-11/29 Destination D:Amazing Adventures!! GF for two nights then Caribbean Beach with free dining...

Post Thanks / Like

Regarding the dress code, I personally wouldn't wear shorts and printed t-shirts (like a Mickey tee). I feel that is too casual for a formal tea, and this is a formal tea setting. Like Heather, I have worn capris, a nice "dressy" t-shirt (no wording or characters) and sneakers.

Picture from our table at ICOT 15 tea-
    Name:  IMG-20121026-00198.jpg
Views: 298
Size:  62.7 KB
    Christine șoș

Post Thanks / Like

A few years ago we took the entire family down for our 50th wedding anniversary. As part of the festivities the ladies (my sister, daughter, granddaughter and I) had tea one afternoon while the guys went fishing. Before we went I went to Target and bought very cheap straw hats, I decorated them with silk flowers from Michael's and surprised everyone with them. We received many comments on them and we had a ball. Wish I could post a picture. BTW - we were dressed in casual nice tops, pants and sneakers.
    KAY

DVC MEMBER - OKW & HHI
    First trip to WDW - Dec, 2005
    Last visit to Disneyland - 2014

First trip to Disneyland - 1955

Post Thanks / Like

Here are Kay's tea pictures. Just an FYI, if you have a picture you want to post that you think could be beneficial in a thread, reach out to the moderators and will look it over to make sure there isn't anything in it that goes against Intercot's terms of service before posting it.

Name:  A 20130107_141017.jpg
Views: 264
Size:  58.0 KBName:  A 20130107_141028.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  57.8 KB
    Christine șoș

Post Thanks / Like

As far as the tea goes - my hubby had a Brandy Alexander instead of tea. The bars weren't quite open yet so they had to ask at a couple of them for the shot (this drink IS on their menu, lol) and then they ended up getting both shots so they put both shots in the drink! He was a HAPPY guy!
    "Is there a 12 step program for this Mouse addiction?"

Next Trips:

11/18-11/29 Destination D:Amazing Adventures!! GF for two nights then Caribbean Beach with free dining...

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you, Christine.
    KAY

DVC MEMBER - OKW & HHI
    First trip to WDW - Dec, 2005
    Last visit to Disneyland - 2014

First trip to Disneyland - 1955

Post Thanks / Like

Highly recommend the Mad Hatter's Tea Party signature tea blend. Very fruity with the most beautiful aroma.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: