Quantcast new to scooter

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Thread: new to scooter

Post Thanks / Like

Default new to scooter

Hi all. I'm going through some medical issues right now, and am planning on two days at Disneyworld as a treat to focus on when all is done. I do believe I will need one of those electric scooter thingys.

I plan on being in the parks 3/1 and 3/2 - very light crowd days.

My questions are:

1) It seems easier to rent at the park, rather than having to deal with getting a scooter on and off a bus from Pop Century. What are opinions on renting at the park vs renting from a private company? Since I'm going during a light time I imagine that I won't have trouble getting a rental

2) If I rent privately, and I'm at Pop Century, do I need to get a handicap room in order to fit the scooter so I can charge it overnight? or do they charge outside the rooms?

Thanks in advance
    Life is Beautiful - pass it on. Sign your organ donor card.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

1. My wife broke her ankle once right before we went on a Disney Vacation. We had no problem getting the scooter at the park. I am not sure if they still do this, but you used to be able to get a complimentary wheel chair from Pop Century to get around the resort.

2. You are probably ok with a Standard room. My experience with a Handicap room is that only the bathroom is larger, so you could get a wheel chair into it.
    "Welcome, Foolish Mortals..."

Post Thanks / Like

While getting a scooter at the park is more convenient, it's also a LOT more expensive. Plus you would have to get from the park entrance to the bus, which can be quite a walk. If you're going to do one, I would recommend getting a scooter from an offsite company like Buena Vista or Apple.

You don't need a different size room. As noted above, only the bathrooms are really different in the handicapped rooms. But I would recommend getting a 1st floor room so you don't have to hassle with the elevators.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning, Guests with Special Needs, and Weather Guru

Post Thanks / Like

Like the previous poster said there is a substantial price difference plus you have the convenience of using it to get to the bus stops and if you are in a spread out resort it can be a hike to your room. If you are worried about parking it on the bus, don't be, my mom was nervous about parking her scooter and the bus drivers were more than happy to do it for her. We've used a scooter the past two trips and have stayed in a regular room, you shouldn't have any problems.

Dec.11-18, 2021 Port Orleans Riverside
    Jan. 25-Feb. 1, 2017, Port Orleans Riverside
    Oct. 29-Nov.4, 2014-Yacht Club
    Dec. 17-23 2011-Wilderness Lodge
    Dec. 20-30, 2008-Pop Century
    Dec. 25,2005-Jan.1, 2006-Coronado Springs
    Jan. 1-7, 2003-All Star Movies

Post Thanks / Like

I highly recommend getting a scooter from outside the gates. like those have said, it is cheaper, you won't have to walk to and from the park to bus to room. Not to mention if you want to go to Disney Springs or move easier about your resort. We have had a scooter with my gf and son in a standard room at the value resorts, and never had a problem.
    Have A Magical Day-1970-1989-offsite, 2002-DLR, 2003-DLR, 2005-Sports, 2007-All Music, 2008-POP, December 12-21 2009-Pop, January 16-18, 2010-Disneyland. Disney Sports-Feb 1-6, 2012, Disneyland-December 7 and 8, 2012, DIsney Pop-Feb 1-5, 2013 (my son's first trip.)

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with everything above, except that I would NOT recommend Apple. Apparently, they used to be good, but I've heard lots of really negative reports about them. And most scary to me is that they now have an F rating with the local BBB. To give you some figures on cost, I was just there a few weeks ago. An in-park scooter cost $50/day + a $20 refundable deposit. If you go to more than one park that day, keep your receipt, so you'll only pay the $20 at the second park. So for 5 days, that's $250. When we were there, we paid $165 from an off-site company for those 5 days, and the scooter was more maneuverable, could go faster, just as comfortable as the one in the park last year.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: