Quantcast Extreme Allergies

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Extreme Allergies

Our grandson is extremely allergic to nuts, soy, eggs and ALL dairy. He has an Epipen, which, thank goodness, we have not had to use.

I know someone here on Intercot has or knows someone who has extreme allergies and gone to WDW.

What did they do? We have to wipe ALL services down before he can touch anything. Gloves would work, I guess, IF a 2 year older will keep them on. Do the restaurants have kitchens that are free of all nuts, eggs & dairy?

Please let me know how a trip with a child that is allergic to almost everything can take place?
    First WDW Trip 1984
    30+ Trips since 1984
    Disneyland 4 Visits
    Disneyland Paris 2010
    40th Wedding Anniversary December 2013
    Disney Cruises 2: Magic 2005, Fantasy 2012
    Last Trip November 2019

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I know if you let Disney know when you make your reservations, the chef himself will come out to talk to you. Might help with a portion of your experience.

I have read a trip report where at Ohana's, the chef told the family (milk and soy allergy) that none of the traditional food brought to the table would meet their requirements but
    but that he would prepare my food separately and bring it out.
    The person when on to say what was made was very very good in taste.

Another trip report was from a person who had peanut and tree nut allergy had a very good experience after talking with the chef at Be Our Guest.

Another trip report stated:
    there was a new procedure with forms and that once these were filled out, the manager would notify all the other chefs in the other parks and send our list of allergens to each of the chefs or managers to alert them that we were coming.
    Finally the last rip report I read stated:
    When you make your dining reservations tell the person you are speaking with that someone has a food allergy in your party. They will give you a number to call to speak with someone directly about this, and they also make a note of it on your reservation.
    All four trip reports stated that the cast members/chef took great measures in making sure they were talked to and walked through all steps to what was being prepared for them. When you call to make your reservations, I would ask about this form ahead of time.
    Last edited by Imalismom; 09-13-2016 at 07:45 AM.
    Ali's Mom
    Senior Imagineer

Post Thanks / Like

I don't have extreme allergies, but I do have regular allergies and need to make sure that my food is safe. I've never had an issue at Disney. I note the allergy on my ADR's, and remind them at check-in (although, 90% of the time, they mention it to me when I check-in, that they see it in the system). Then, either a chef or a manager comes over and talks to me about what I can and can't have.

Oftentimes I can eat something off the menu (just being sure there is no cross-contamination), or the chef will make something safe.

On our last trip, I had to call to add a dietary need for DD for Hoop-Dee-Doo (her requirements changed from when we booked the trip). Even over the phone, special diets was awesome, and a chef came out and had her sorted with safe food quite quickly. It was so cute, she took a bite of her chicken and said "they even make chicken taste magical".

The only catch in all of this may be that he is 2. Usually a 2-year old would share with parents, and some places, if they make him a special meal will charge for it. Not a huge cost, but just wanted to share that possibility.
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

How severe are you talking here? Contact allergies or would he have to ingest the allergen?
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

My daughter has servere allergies as well. Dairy, soy protein, peanuts, tree nuts, and wheat. Her dairy allergy requires us to carry an epipen as well. We frequent Disney often and always booked reservations, noting her allergies. As the previous post noted, the hosts see this noted in the reservations and usually confirm when we check in. A tickets is given to the waiter, noting the allergy and he will address it with you. Usually they we have the chef come over.

If you are eating at a buffet, the chef will go over what foods would be safe to eat (if any). Otherwise, they are great to cook something up on request and will ask what food they like to eat (as well as cover dessert).

I will say that Disney takes allergies seriously and covers it well at its restaurants (even the resort food courts will do something specific). It is much more personal and welcoming. Most other restaurants either the waiter will try to help out or simply give you the allergen menu. I think Disney goes that extra step to make you feel more comforted that your child will be fine.

Good luck and enjoy your trip!

Post Thanks / Like

Both. Contact, so far, has resulted in a rash. We wash off the area and within 15/20 minutes he's fine. That is why I mentioned putting gloves on him. Most of the time he's wearing long sleeves and long pants.

So far he hasn't eaten anything that requires us to use his EpiPen.
    First WDW Trip 1984
    30+ Trips since 1984
    Disneyland 4 Visits
    Disneyland Paris 2010
    40th Wedding Anniversary December 2013
    Disney Cruises 2: Magic 2005, Fantasy 2012
    Last Trip November 2019

Post Thanks / Like

Contact could be a problem. You will be in a lot of line corals with stuff to touch and climb. Just be watchful. May be no problem, just a matter of watching for a problem pattern the first few hours. I hope he will have a stroller. Safe and fun.
    Boardwalk
    Animal Kingdom Jambo
    Coronado Springs
    POP
    POP
    POP
    POP
    Riverside

Post Thanks / Like

You can also have your room cleaned extra but you have to let them know. Our granddaughter has tree nut allergies and it is documented on all of our dinning reservations plus we tell the server when we are seated to remind them. Never a problem. As far as the room just request that housekeeping do the allergy extra cleaning and it will be taken care of. Should all be documented with your reservations.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: