Quantcast Next Generation of MagicBand & New MagicKeeper Revealed

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Next Generation of MagicBand & New MagicKeeper Revealed

12/17/16

Disney Parks & Resorts has announced more details to how the next Generation of MagicBand's will offer new options with the "puck" style device:

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Parks & Resorts

... new MagicKeepers for guests who prefer an alternative way to wear their MagicBand 2. MagicKeepers will include two Mickey Mouse and Minnie Mouse-themed lanyard clips and a carabiner. The images ... show how MagicKeepers will be sold (without a removable icon) and how they appear with removable icons.

Name:  vjhdbf9342.jpg
Views: 892
Size:  38.6 KB

A release date for MagicKeepers has yet to be announced.

11/19/16

Disney Parks & Resorts has announced the second generation of MagicBand's using the "puck" style device previously reported.

Although the statement is made that the new design is "versatile and customizable" there is no mention if the "puck" can be removed from the band or embedded in other items like a clip or necklace.

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Parks & Resort

... MagicBand 2 will feature a new design for the band itself. While the design helps make MagicBand 2 more versatile and customizable it’ll still work like the current MagicBand. You will be able to link My Disney Experience to your MagicBand 2, which can serve as a theme park ticket, access to FastPass+ selections, Disney PhotoPass card as well as a room key for Disney Resort guests.

MagicBand 2 will make its resort-wide debut soon.

Name:  mbtwo389795711.jpg
Views: 967
Size:  31.8 KB
    8/18/16

FCC test reports have recently been declassified that indicate a new style of RF device to potentially replace the current Magic band:

Quote Originally Posted by FCC

Application: MB-R1G2

Full Company Details: Walt Disney Parks and Resorts US., INC. - Q3E
    Company Code: Q3E

Address:
    Walt Disney Parks and Resorts US., INC.
    Walt Disney Parks and Resorts US, Inc.
    Lake Buena Vista, FL 32830
    United States

Frequency Range
    2401.00000000-2476.00000000

Power Output

Rule Parts
    15C

Antenna info:

The antenna of the product is embedded in the PCB and is implemented as a PCB trace. The PCB permanently
    sealed inside a plastic cover such that the antenna is not accessible, removable or replaceable without
    permanent damage and disfiguring of the device. There is no RF connector between the radio and the
    antenna.

The antenna type is a loop antenna. The maximum gain is -2 dBi

Name:  ID-Label-Location-Info-D7548B7A.jpg
Views: 1892
Size:  28.7 KB

It is unknown if this disk-type device is planned to replace the band-type device or if it would attach to interchangeable bands or similar attachment devices.
    Figment! aka Jason ºoº
    INTERCOT STAFF
    News, Rumours & Imagineering
    Dining
    Vacations Beyond Disney

~It’s what us storytellers do; we restore order with imagination, we instill hope again and again~

~We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things~

2. Thanks VWL Mom, Yungbuck73 thanked for this post
    Likes Yungbuck73 liked this post
  3.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

This seems a bit suspect. I wouldn't doubt that Disney is developing a replacement, but why would there be a pic circulating with Mickey ears?

Ideally Disney will let us use our smart phones instead of a band. However there are some advantages to a band for young kids and at the pool.

What we really need is version 2.0 of the software, not the hardware. More FP+ options per day!
    Beth & David

09/82 Treehouse Villas, 06/86 BVP, 10/95 CBR, 10/99 DI, 08/03 PORS, 10/05 POP, 11/06 AKL, 09/09 POLY, 10/10 Wonder, 05/11 Dream/PORS, 08/13 POLY, 11/13 GF, 04/15 POLY, 11/15 BLT, 11/16 Aulani, 03/17 BLT, 08/18 BLT, 07/19 AKL, 06/21 BLT

Post Thanks / Like

If they want to be able to track you, having you use your phone as a full-on replacement is not going to work. If they really want to harness the true power of this, they need to be able to know where you are on property and then push opportunities to your phone/other device associated with your band.

6. Likes baldburke liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by baldburke
    This seems a bit suspect. I wouldn't doubt that Disney is developing a replacement, but why would there be a pic circulating with Mickey ears?
    Similar "form" pictures were revealed through FCC filings for the first "generation" of Magic Bands.

The FCC pictures and test reports are publicly available here:

https://fccid.io/Q3E-MB-R1G2
    Figment! aka Jason ºoº
    INTERCOT STAFF
    News, Rumours & Imagineering
    Dining
    Vacations Beyond Disney

~It’s what us storytellers do; we restore order with imagination, we instill hope again and again~

~We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things~

Post Thanks / Like

Boo to all of it. Too 1984 meets Minority Report.
    ===================

2016 POR
    2015 CS
    2014 WDW-Offsite
    2014 Disneyland-offsite
    2014 CBR
    2013 Dolphin
    2012 POR
    2012 WDW-Offsite
    2011 ASMusic, POR

1998 Dixie Landings
    1990's, Dixie Landings, Misc Offsite

9. Likes RunDMV liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tekneek View Post
    If they want to be able to track you, having you use your phone as a full-on replacement is not going to work. If they really want to harness the true power of this, they need to be able to know where you are on property and then push opportunities to your phone/other device associated with your band.
    The push notifications are something my wife and i were talking about the other night, I could be wrong, but i don't think the current app does this. Is that right?

IMO, that's a flaw, the app should allow push notifications to notify guests of upcoming scheduled events, like fast pass windows and dining reservations.

With location based services, and the amount of money spent overall on MM+, there is no reason why the app shouldn't send you a push notification letting you know when things are coming up, and from where you are now, how long it'll take you to arrive at your destination.

Think Waze and their planned drives, something similar should be implemented.

Example: "You're dinner reservation at Garden Grill is at 6:30, from your current location, you should leave now to arrive at your reservation time".
    82 - Offsite
    85- Fort Wilderness
    88- Polynesian
    96- Offsite
    97- Offsite
    98- Offsite
    08 - French Quarter
    09 - Coronado Springs
    09 - All Star Sports
    09 - Pop Century
    09 - Off Site
    10- French Quarter
    11 - All Star Sports
    14 -Coronado Springs
    15 - All Star Sports
    17 - TBD

11. Likes roryboy, baldburke, Tekneek liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ChipNDale79 View Post
    The push notifications are something my wife and i were talking about the other night, I could be wrong, but i don't think the current app does this. Is that right?
    That is my understanding.

IMO, that's a flaw, the app should allow push notifications to notify guests of upcoming scheduled events, like fast pass windows and dining reservations.

With location based services, and the amount of money spent overall on MM+, there is no reason why the app shouldn't send you a push notification letting you know when things are coming up, and from where you are now, how long it'll take you to arrive at your destination.
    Not just that, but my thinking is that they could encourage you to check out certain attractions near you that have low wait times (that you might not know about or be thinking about). This serves multiple goals: driving guests to under-utilized attractions, balancing out the crowds in certain areas of the parks, etc. If they wanted to, they could also be learning which attractions/kinds of attractions you prefer and ping you when you are near one with the wait time, or even just encourage you to go there when the wait time is abnormally short. These sorts of things would add so much value to the guest experience. I don't mind this kind of data mining when I actually realize the benefit. Treating me like a data point just to shake money out of my pocket is a downer. Do all of this other stuff and I will be so happy that I want to spend more money and time. It takes care of itself.

Example: "You're dinner reservation at Garden Grill is at 6:30, from your current location, you should leave now to arrive at your reservation time".
    They really must implement this. Not only walking time, but also estimates based on walking plus other transportation methods if you are at some other park, hotel, etc. Sort of like, "You must make your way to the bus stop at X by this time." They could use it for all the methods available to you, or let you specify in the app which to exclude, etc. There is a tremendous amount of unrealized guest value here that Disney has not tapped (for all that they do, they really struggle with this and games).

Post Thanks / Like

The puck seems to be a confirmed idea. I was reading on another site that the puck could be popped in and out and transferred from band to band (more merch). It would also go to server those that don't like the band and allow them to more easily slip the puck into their pocket.
    Beth & David

09/82 Treehouse Villas, 06/86 BVP, 10/95 CBR, 10/99 DI, 08/03 PORS, 10/05 POP, 11/06 AKL, 09/09 POLY, 10/10 Wonder, 05/11 Dream/PORS, 08/13 POLY, 11/13 GF, 04/15 POLY, 11/15 BLT, 11/16 Aulani, 03/17 BLT, 08/18 BLT, 07/19 AKL, 06/21 BLT

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by baldburke View Post
    The puck seems to be a confirmed idea. I was reading on another site that the puck could be popped in and out and transferred from band to band (more merch). It would also go to server those that don't like the band and allow them to more easily slip the puck into their pocket.
    This. If it's a little puck, you can turn it into a wristband, a necklace, a key chain or backpack dongle, or any number of other things (all of which you can charge extra for, natch). The wristbands are pretty perfect for kids (waterproof, relatively hard to lose, etc.), but for people who don't like wristbands, or just would prefer some other form factor, this gives them options.
    FL Resident Annual Passholder since 2005
    Charter Member, D23
    DVC May 2014 - Villas at Grand Floridian
    Castaway Club Gold (7 cruises, #8 April, 2023)

"There is nothing we do here that is not creative.
    There is nothing creative that we do not do here."
    --WDI

15. Likes baldburke liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I just miss using the cards.

However, if it got me through the front door faster, helped my wife locate me faster when we get separated, or alerted others when i'm in a bathroom stall, that'd be ok. Especially items 1 or 3.
    ===================

2016 POR
    2015 CS
    2014 WDW-Offsite
    2014 Disneyland-offsite
    2014 CBR
    2013 Dolphin
    2012 POR
    2012 WDW-Offsite
    2011 ASMusic, POR

1998 Dixie Landings
    1990's, Dixie Landings, Misc Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation

**Update**

Post Thanks / Like

The 11/19 said new equipment should debut soon but the 12/17 info doesn't give any estimates. Any ideas when these should be spotted in the wild...1q17?
    Beth & David

Post Thanks / Like

Any ideas when these new bands will debut? We arrive in late Feb., and these large bands look aweful! The bands are way too big! Now perhaps some of the alternative ways of "wearing" the puck might be something we would consider, however I am sure that would mean us having to purchase accessories.
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

Post Thanks / Like

I'm waiting for my AP band to arrive, supposedly it should be the new one. The new ones for resort guests should start going out early January. I will be adding an accessory if they're available next month. I don't mind wearing the band in the parks so my plan is to bring an old one for that and using the fob to clip on my purse when we go to dinner.
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

Post Thanks / Like

I did receive my band and it is the new style. The width of the face is 1 ½" as opposed to 1". The old band had 2 ½" underside for the RFID while the new bands have 2" which leads to a more comfortable fit and much better bend IMO.
    - Lynn -

22. Thanks Figment! thanked for this post
    Likes baldburke liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VWL Mom View Post
    I did receive my band and it is the new style. The width of the face is 1 ½" as opposed to 1". The old band had 2 ½" underside for the RFID while the new bands have 2" which leads to a more comfortable fit and much better bend IMO.
    We're AP holders, too, still waiting for ours! Is there a particular color/style the new ones come in? I assume color choices and customizing will only come later, after they are sent to all guests?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ThanxForNoticin View Post
    We're AP holders, too, still waiting for ours! Is there a particular color/style the new ones come in? I assume color choices and customizing will only come later, after they are sent to all guests?
    I have an active pass that I had not ordered a band previously for so I just went to MDE and declined my resort band and selected my AP band. I picked the color and customized just as you normally would.
    - Lynn -

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: