Quantcast TikiFamily Pre-trip report 2016

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default TikiFamily Pre-trip report 2016

TikiFamily Pre-Trip Report 2016

This pre-trip report details the upcoming trip of the Tiki Family. It is part of our annual tradition to travel to Florida in the summer, visit relatives in Tampa, and make a pilgrimage to the House of Mouse. This year our girls are 13 and 11. Facebook has been showing me memories from past trips and I can’t believe how much they’ve grown in the past 2-3 years. They are almost adult sized yet still have childlike interests mixed in with their new hobbies. But thankfully, they still love Disney just like their mama.

So this year’s trip starts with us flying down to Orlando out of Bradley airport (Hartford CT) at a ridiculously early hour. Last year we were one of the last groups to get on our flight, due to the massive check in and security lines (and a necessary stop at the Dunkin Donuts for caffeine). It was a little stressful but oddly nice – at least we didn’t have to sit in the terminal and wait for our boarding number to be called… and we were still able to get 2 seats together for the girls. Now that they are big enough to take care of themselves I enjoy flights MUCH more. I actually get to read a book or play games on my iPad.

Anyway, we plan on getting to the airport earlier this year so we aren’t cutting it too close for our flight. (and then watch, this will be the year our flight gets delayed and we end up sitting in the terminal for hours)
    So we usually fly into Tampa but this year it’s Orlando… I love flying into MCO and getting the first glimpse of the Disney store there… and seeing all the Disney billboards along the highway… we might even stop at Disney Springs for lunch. I’m excited to see the improvements they’ve made there.

The first 4 days of our trip will be at my in-law’s house in Seminole. Pool time, quiet time, beach time, dinner out with my hubby, massive breakfasts at the Frog Pond restaurant…. Sounds good to me after a very busy summer. We are also planning on seeing Pete’s Dragon – last year we found a movie theater 10 min away that has recliners as seats. Best way to see a movie ever!

When we have relaxed enough, we will pack it all up in our rental car and head back to Orlando for the Disney portion of our trip. Now even though we go to WDW every summer, most summers are short trips – we’ve done everything from 1 night to 4 nights in the last 5 years. The only long trip we took was in 2009 when we did 10 days. So this year we decided it was time for another big trip… I got a great rate through a travel agency, so we chose to do a week (6 nights) at the Polynesian! I’ve always wanted to stay there. I love the relaxed vibe and the newly renovated spaces. The rooms are large and having the extra bed will come in handy with my now-very-tall girls.

And since we were going all out, we chose to do club level. We got spoiled with club level service on our last big trip and have been wanting to do it ever since. We are not big eaters (especially in the summer heat) so to have decent, semi-healthy food available for breakfast and in the evening is perfect for my family. We can make a meal out of the evening offerings usually, or just supplement with something from resort counter service. It saves us money, time, and stress.

Now onto the important stuff!

Park plans:
    1st day: Epcot morning (FP for Soarin’, Turtle Talk, and SSE)
    Lunch at San Angel Inn

2nd day: EMH morning at AK (no FP), Studios at night (FP for ToT, Star Tours, RnRC/TSM)
    Dinner at Sci-Fi Dine In
    We may or may not see Fantasmic but are definitely staying for the Star Wars fireworks (they look awesome!)

3rd day: rest – possible visit to Disney Springs or a water park

4th day: morning at MK (FP for 7 Dwarves, Peter Pan, and Space Mtn)
    Breakfast at 8:10am pre-rope drop at Crystal Palace
    Lunch at Be Our Guest
    Evening at MK (EMH, open to 2am) – we plan on going as late as we can! We did MK at night last year and everyone in the family loved it.

5th day: sleep in late, possible Disney Springs/waterpark day

6th day: Epcot morning (FP for Soarin, Character Spot, SSE)
    Surprise for the girls: a reservation for Hoop De Doo at 6:15!! We did this last in 2010 and the girls don’t really remember it. I booked at 180 days, so I’m hoping we’ll be right near the stage. They’re going to LOVE it.

7th day: Mystery park day – I made FPs for the Studios (TSM, ToT, and Star Tours) but we’re just going to play it by ear. We’ll see what everyone feels like doing and go with it, get FPs for whatever’s available. We have to leave for the airport around 4pm. (boo hiss)

Looking forward to…
    1. Spending some time in World Showcase (especially the England shops where I hear they have Doctor Who items…)

2. Seeing the new portions of Africa in AK

3. Visiting Disney Springs to see the massive renovation

4. Getting drinks with my hubby at Trader Sam’s

5. New Soarin’ – TWICE (we all voted to skip Frozen Ever After… not our thing at all)

6. I should add-- the girls are excited about playing Pokemon Go in the parks. We have heard there are Pokemon everywhere.

Thanks for reading… I will post a trip report when we get back when I can. I go back to work a day after we return home, so it might take me some time to finish it.

Thanks,
    Kathy (TikiGoddess)
    Many trips from childhood to 2008, WDW/DLP
    8/09: Ultimate Adventurer Trip, WL Concierge/AKL
    6/10: POFQ
    12/10: Mousefan Reunion (Pop)
    8/11, 7/12: AKL Concierge
    10/12: ICOT 15th solo trip (Pop)
    4/13: Pop
    7/13: Hilton Bonnet Creek
    7/14: 3 nights at BLT
    12/14: US, IOA, and WDW

2. Thanks faline thanked for this post
    Likes faline liked this post
  3.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds great! Trader Sam's gets very crowded right from opening. Don't be afraid to share a table with someone already seated (it's encouraged, though we still felt weird about it and ended up not staying). I love the Polynesian's relaxed vibe. Enjoy!
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like a great trip, enjoy!
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds awesome, enjoy

Dec.11-18, 2021 Port Orleans Riverside
    Jan. 25-Feb. 1, 2017, Port Orleans Riverside
    Oct. 29-Nov.4, 2014-Yacht Club
    Dec. 17-23 2011-Wilderness Lodge
    Dec. 20-30, 2008-Pop Century
    Dec. 25,2005-Jan.1, 2006-Coronado Springs
    Jan. 1-7, 2003-All Star Movies

Post Thanks / Like

Kathy, sounds like it will be a lovely trip!! I can't wait to hear all about it!!
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a great trip! Weirdly enough one of our favorite things in the new parking structure at Disney Spring, lol. It's planned out so well. We enjoy Disney Springs in the day more than the evening, just too crowded and wild at night.

Post Thanks / Like

Kathy!!

You have a fabulous trip planned!!! Enjoy it!!!! I'm excited for you staying at the Polynesian!
    Enjoy every minute!!!!
    Julie
    Next Up:

Summer 2018... WE ARE BACK!!!
    2 families
    4 teenagers and Larry
    Taking on the parks!

Post Thanks / Like

First report back:

Travel day went well - we ended up at Disney Springs for lunch. Wow, has it changed!! The parking garages are massive but very well laid out. We parked in Lime and made the short walk to the Marketplace. The new shopping section is gorgeous. It just be even prettier at night.

Tim and I wanted to go to Earl of Sandwich for lunch but we were outvoted by the girls who wanted to do Rainforest Cafe. It was fairly empty so we walked right in. Good food, fast service. We didn't spend too much time at Disney Springs after that but it was a nice taste of Disney Magic.

We are currently in Tampa, enjoying the beach in the evenings, relaxing, shopping, going to the zoo, etc. My husband has a raging head cold so we've been going slowly, hoping that he kicks it before we go to Disney early Sun morning.

Kathy

Post Thanks / Like

No fun to be sick on vacation!! Glad you had the opportunity to get over to Disney Springs.
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Following along. Can't wait to hear more. Have a great time!
    [COLOR=DarkRed]Paula[/

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: