Quantcast Child missing following alligator attack

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Child missing following alligator attack

Heart-breaking. Praying for a miracle.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/...614-story.html

Deputies are searching for a young child who was dragged into the water by an alligator near Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa, according to the Orange County Sheriff's Office.

The 2-year-old child was dragged into the Seven Seas Lagoon about 9:30 p.m., Sheriff's Office spokeswoman Rose Silva said.

Deputies are searching the waters and put crime-scene tape around the water. Multiple emergency vehicles filled the front drive of the Victorian-style hotel and a helicopter hovered overhead.

Silva said the child has not been found.

2. Thanks luvdiznee thanked for this post
  3.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

This is so sad. The parents allowed the child to wade in the water at night. They were obviously unaware of the danger of doing so. What a nightmare scenario. That poor baby...
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

5. Likes Mackflava99 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This is so incredibly sad. Prayers for the family. I could not imagine.
    Offsite...(12/97 & 10/99)
    DL...(10/02 & 5/05)
    CBR/Disney Wonder 2004, AllStar Music 2004, AKL 2006, POP 2006, POP 2007, Poly 2007, BWI 2007, WL 2008, CSR 2009, Poly 2009, CBR 2010, AKL 2011...

Post Thanks / Like

Just watched a recording of the news conference. Very tragic for everyone. The parents had two other children there with them. Apparently both parents went into the water to try to save the child but couldn't do anything. The Disney spokesperson who was there could barely keep it together as law enforcement talked to the press. Can't imagine what the family is going through. What a terrible thing that entire family, as well as others visiting will have to remember. Definitely a nightmare scenario for everyone.
    Chris °O°
    DISNEYLAND AP - First visit 1969

WALT DISNEY WORLD - First visit 1985
    HONG KONG DISNEYLAND - First visit 2005
    SHANGHAI DISNEYLAND - First visit 2016
    DISNEY DREAM CRUISE - First Cruise March 2019
    FUTURE + WORLD SHOWCASE = EPCOT (Favorite WDW park)

Post Thanks / Like

My heart breaks for this family. Such a terrible tragedy.
    - Brian

First WDW visit: 1984, Village Resort
    Last WDW visit: 2015, Caribbean Beach
    Next WDW visit: 2018, Polynesian

Post Thanks / Like

Prayers are with the family. How very terrible.
    First WDW Trip 1984
    30+ Trips since 1984
    Disneyland 4 Visits
    Disneyland Paris 2010
    40th Wedding Anniversary December 2013
    Disney Cruises 2: Magic 2005, Fantasy 2012
    Last Trip November 2019

Post Thanks / Like

So very sad.
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

So sad. So many questions. Seems impossible. Must have been no one around at all. No one to help drag the gator back to the shore? Other witnesses? Deep water? Just literally unbelievable...

Tragic. Condolences to the family.
    Steve "I'm Grumpy because you're Dopey"
    90Treehouse, 93Clubhouse Villa(DD2), 96Hotel Plaza(DD5&2), 99CR, 01OKW(expecting DS), 03POR (luv the trundle), 04AKL, 06ASMo(DW40, DD2), 07DLRP/PC, 08Y&BC/PC/DLRP, 09ASMusic/Cruise, 10ASSp/Pop, 11POR/Cruise, 12DLR, 13PC/Cruise, 14ASMu, 15CRx2, 16CR&ASMo(DW50)

Post Thanks / Like

How very sad. It sure has been a horrible week for the Orlando area.

Now, along with the sadness over this tragedy for the family, my DD says "does this mean people won't go to Disney, so it will be less crowded this summer?". Ah kids!
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

How utterly tragic. Unfortunately, it is a reminder to all of us that when we travel away from home we must consider that there may be dangers that we are not used to. Whether it is aggressive wildlife in our national parks, venomous snakes along state and local hiking trails or alligators in Florida waters, we must assume that such dangers exist.

Those of us who live in Florida are well aware that any body of water, whether it be lakes, ponds, canals, creeks, etc., can contain dangerous creatures at any time of the year. This includes alligators, snapping turtles, water moccasins, and more. Just because a pond was free of alligators yesterday doesn't mean there are none today. Alligators can easily travel overland between bodies of water, especially during the spring mating season.

Some will blame Disney for this tragedy. But consider that WDW is located in or near to a vast area of still undeveloped land containing numerous ponds, estuaries and marshes. Disney does a good job in removing and guarding against harmful critters, but it would be an impossible task to keep all of the native creatures out of developed areas. I have personally seen alligators and water moccasins INSIDE the public areas of the Disney parks.
    Ron
    INTERCOT Staff
    WDW Cast Member
    Expedition: Everest
    Kali River Rapids

14. Likes deedee73 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

As of this morning they still haven't recovered the child's body. I would imagine all of the water taxis / ferry boats are being kept at dock at this point? You can't risk a boat full of guests seeing a child's body.

Something like this has to be a 100 million to 1 type of tragedy, but I would imagine there will be changes. Either fences put up on the beach around the lake or the 'beach' permanently covered in large rocks to keep people from going near the water.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WDWdriver View Post
    I have personally seen alligators and water moccasins INSIDE the public areas of the Disney parks.
    As have I (alligators not the snakes).

During our trip last month, we saw alligators on two occasions - once in the waterway alongside the train ride in the Magic Kingdom and once in the Seven Seas Lagoon. We have seen alligators during other trips as well including one that was lurking under the boardwalk in Frontierland.
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

I agree - we've seen alligators at Disney, and they closed One Man's Dream while we were in it for a snake! Wildlife is indeed everywhere, no matter how hard you try (to quote Jurassic Park) "nature finds a way".
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

18. Likes deedee73 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My heart, love & light go out to the parents. I can't even imagine.
    And agree, Florida is 'wild'.
    Whatever you do, do not read comments in news sources. People are heartless or clueless or both.
    Calling for Disney to sued, to be closed, all alligators killed.

It's a reality of Florida, as WDWDriver said, this is Florida, you have to be careful, mindful. Living in Florida I don't even let my children swim in lakes, only pools. Even at the beach, I'm very fearful.
    BUT I in no way blame the parents either. It is a horrible, freak accident. I hope they find some sort of strength to get through this terrible journey.
    Terra - Wife, mother, special needs teacher. Disney addict! °o°

Advocate for my 2 sons. David: Auto-immune disorder. Praying for remission!ASD/SPD & Aaron: ADHD/Anxiety/ASD. Life makes us stronger!

Post Thanks / Like

From CNN.com-

Lake Buena Vista, Florida (CNN)[Breaking news published at 9:54 a.m. ET]

Disney has closed all beaches in its resort area "out of an abundance of caution" after an alligator attacked a 2-year-old boy in a lagoon outside the Grand Floridian hotel Tuesday night, a Disney spokesperson said Wednesday.
    Christine ºoº

Intercot Staff-Accommodations, Dining, Guests with Special Needs

Please support Intercot's Sponsors

Post Thanks / Like

So very sad. Prayers to everyone involved.

Post Thanks / Like

That is terrible. It makes you wonder though, who in their right mind lets children play in water in Florida or anywhere in the South for that matter at night? However, the Grand Floridian has what is presented as a "Beach". When people think Beach, they think salt water ocean which does not typically have alligators attacking people. I guess they must just not have thought much of it and felt safe.

I have also personally seen both alligators and snakes in both the resort and park areas. We were walking on a path at Saratoga Springs from Downtown Disney once and an alligator crossed the path about 50 ft in front of us and went in the water. It was about 11:00 at night so that was sort of unnerving. Once while standing in the line at Big Thunder, a snake went through the scenery area and people were freaking out.

They were there first, it isn't their fault we built a playground in the middle of their home.

23. Likes Mackflava99 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

CHILD WAS IN ANKLE DEEP WATER

As a home owner & if you own a dog, you are to have a sign that says: WARNING BEWARE OF DOG" and that is for the occasional visitor. Disney has millions of visitors and only has sign saying "NO SWIMMING". I would say Disney should have had signs saying " WARNING ALLIGATORS NO SWIMMING" ... When we have shark sightings here on the Cape they put up signs with in an hour "Beach closed Shark sightings" ...... Disney is screwed

First trip 1986 ...
    Not enough since then!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CleveSJM View Post
    So sad. So many questions. Seems impossible. Must have been no one around at all. No one to help drag the gator back to the shore? Other witnesses? Deep water? Just literally unbelievable...

Tragic. Condolences to the family.
    Do you have any idea how strong alligators can be, or how fast they can move? Especially one who has just attacked? There is no getting the child back from a gator who has its jaws clenched at 1000psi. Plus, it was pitch dark...what could have realistically been done?
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

A horrible, almost incomprehensible tragedy. My heart hurts for that little boy and his family.

About the only thing you can do to get a gator to release whatever it has in its mouth is to beat it on the head and eyes.

There is no way for Disney to eliminate all the gators from the bodies of water in WDW; even if they wanted to, more would migrate in. They are a fact of life in Florida (and here in Texas) and the only thing you can do is stay alert and aware and away from the water's edge. And if you see someone feeding alligators at Disney World or elsewhere, report them.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

27. Likes VWL Mom liked this post
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: