Quantcast Considering AKL - thoughts? - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheHD View Post
    We ended up with a Savannah view and found it to be our most favorite stay of all-time. Being able to relax and watch the animals from your balcony just separated it apart from any other stay.
    This was my most favorite thing. We would return midday for naptime for DS and he would eat a snack on the balcony and it was so peaceful and quiet in comparison the parks.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mechanic View Post
    Love akl. Lowest priced deluxe usually. Very friendly, first class staff. Great service. Immaculate grounds. Long walk to bus stop from some areas. One of the best gift shops at wdw. Bus rides are longer, but mostly just to mk.
    Highly recommended at least once. Twice for us so far.
    We stayed last month and viewing the animals was a plus; however, DH and I decided it is likely a one-time stay for us. The room was small, staff was not as cheery and attentive as expected. At check-in we were not cheerfully greeted at the counter and were not given the details of the resort (schedule, where things are located, etc.), mousekeeping was great the first day but late every other day (we returned for naptime between 2-3 every afternoon and the room had not been serviced (except the first day) but when I called for service they came quickly though).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deedee73 View Post
    Just remember while the AKL is further from MK, it is the closest of any resort to AK.
    The ride time to AK was AWESOME. Less than 5 minutes we were going through back check.
    The rides to other parks and Disney Springs was not terrible. Around 20 minutes at most.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cinderelley View Post
    I loved rocking in the rocking chairs.
    We loved the rocking chairs too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WiltonJohn View Post
    It was fantastic. Sitting there having breakfast at the room watching the giraffes and other animals out of the room balcony each morning......... priceless.
    Loved this too. Best part of the whole stay.

Quote Originally Posted by WiltonJohn View Post
    Mara is "OK".
    I completely agree. We ate here twice and were disappointed.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AgentC View Post
    Sizewise both Wilderness Lodge and AKL have smaller standard rooms than the other deluxe resorts. My kids particularly like the bunk bed rooms.
    We had bunk beds and my kids liked that too. However, we also noticed the room felt smaller than when we stayed at Coronado Springs on our last trip.

Quote Originally Posted by AgentC View Post
    The resort is very tranquil and the animals are a great plus. One of our favorite activities is night viewing and talking to the cast members from Africa. We have never stayed in a Savannah room but still enjoy the resort. If the Savannah rooms are too expensive, the pool rooms are a nice option especially since they are very centrally located at Jambo.
    We booked pool view and were upgraded to Savannah View. Score.

Post Thanks / Like

i treated use to two days and loved it! There is nothing - I mean NOTHING - like sitting on your balcony watching giraffes on a savannah. Or if you don't have Savannah view - using the lovely public viewing areas. They have a great pool, great food choices etc. We have only ever stayed POR or CBR so I certainly didn't notice the buses at AKL taking any longer than that. I highly recommend it! I think it also has about the best chance of an upgrade - we booked pool view but got Savannah.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by j2k View Post

I completely agree. We ate here twice and were disappointed.
    On Mara being just OK - I guess that depends where you normally eat. We found it head and shoulders over the food courts at the moderates! Small, but much more interesting choices, and they even give you a beeper instead of making you stand and wait for your food!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mydisneygirls View Post
    We have never stayed at AKL but have visited the resort. The main reason for not looking to stay is because of the distance it is from the parks. I was also talking to a travel agent friend of mine who stayed there and he didn't care for it. He said the rooms are smaller than other resorts he's stayed at. Now this is just my opinion, but when we entered the lobby, I found it to be dark and unappealing (to me). Even the grounds outside didn't do anything for me. I know a lot of people rave about Boma but it wasn't my cup of tea. I'm glad we visited the resort because I now know it's not on my Disney bucket list! We usually stay at the Poly or WL which are our two favorite resorts. This year because the amount of people in our party, we are staying at the cabins in Fort Wilderness. It looks like it should be fun!!
    This just struck me as a good example of "to each his own". I know people love Wilderness Lodge, but I would never, ever stay there. Just as you visited AKL and didn't like it, I had to visit WL - but my problem with it is that I live in the Canadian Rockies and found it to be JUST LIKE HOME. LOL - no kidding - it felt to me like a camping trip ;-)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mom2morgan View Post
    On Mara being just OK - I guess that depends where you normally eat. We found it head and shoulders over the food courts at the moderates! Small, but much more interesting choices, and they even give you a beeper instead of making you stand and wait for your food!
    We agree 100%. Mara is by far our favorite resort counter service. We really enjoy the selection of sandwiches, flat breads, soups, and goodies.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheHD View Post
    The only thing I could not get around was the paper straws. Truly the most horrible sensation... Yuk!

).
    Yep, those paper straws are gross - and at Seaworld too.We solve this by taking our own hard plastic re-usable straws (I think ours came with insulated beverage cups I bought). I know it seems weird to carry those around, but it's better than a mouthful of cardboard!

Post Thanks / Like

I loved AKL savannah view. It did seem a little dim, but we spent so much time on balcony that it did not matter. I don't sit in the room and look at it. I also waited for discounts.
    I am sure you will enjoy it.
    Boardwalk
    Animal Kingdom Jambo
    Coronado Springs
    POP
    POP
    POP
    POP
    Riverside

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: