Quantcast Considering AKL - thoughts?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Considering AKL - thoughts?

We stayed at CSR on our last trip. We were looking at moderates and might still end up in a moderate. We loved CSR but really want to stay somewhere different. There are so many resorts to explore, why always stay at the same one. To be honest, the other moderates are not really exciting us. We've looked at AKL. I know the kids will enjoy it there. So tell me what you can about it.

1. I've read people complain about the bus ride to MK. Is it much farther, and longer, than the ride from CSR?

2. Pricing - Is AKL included in discounts usually? I know there is no guarantee. I'm just curious if there are any exclusions.

3. What's your experience at AKL? Likes, Dislikes?

Thanks in advance for feedback!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

The AKL is a special and unique resort. A savannah view room offers the opportunity to see the animals from your balcony. The theming of the AKL is amazing as well.

The discounts are hard to predict these days. The AKL is usually less expensive than most of the other deluxe resorts. The MK area is the most remote point on WDW property. AKL and Kidani share buses, but it is a quick trip to AK, not far from Epcot and the Studios, and not too far to MK. The worst bus rides we have experienced have been from WL/Poly to AK park.

Mara is a very good resort cs option. Boma is interesting. Jiko is excellent for fine dining. If anyone in your family loves animals, the AK will provide an awesome experience. There is also animal viewing opportunities in non-savannah view rooms.

4. Thanks j2k thanked for this post
    Likes baldburke liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We have never stayed at AKL but have visited the resort. The main reason for not looking to stay is because of the distance it is from the parks. I was also talking to a travel agent friend of mine who stayed there and he didn't care for it. He said the rooms are smaller than other resorts he's stayed at. Now this is just my opinion, but when we entered the lobby, I found it to be dark and unappealing (to me). Even the grounds outside didn't do anything for me. I know a lot of people rave about Boma but it wasn't my cup of tea. I'm glad we visited the resort because I now know it's not on my Disney bucket list! We usually stay at the Poly or WL which are our two favorite resorts. This year because the amount of people in our party, we are staying at the cabins in Fort Wilderness. It looks like it should be fun!!

6. Thanks j2k thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We did a split-stay last year and ended up with a Savannah view and found it to be our most favorite stay of all-time. Being able to relax and watch the animals from your balcony just separated it apart from any other stay. Contrast to this, the other half of our split-stay was at the Villas at Wilderness Lodge where we had a view of the loading dock.

Although the decor is primarily singly-colored, it is still a beautiful resort with many details engraved all around. The only thing I could not get around was the paper straws. Truly the most horrible sensation... Yuk!

I didn't feel the bus rides were too bad. The waiting area for the buses are nicely covered and fairly cool (if going in summer).
    Disneyland 30+
    * 2000 (Jul) - Off-site * 2003 (Aug) - Contemporary * 2006 (Jul) - Fort Wilderness Cabins * 2009-10 (Dec-Jan) - Caribbean Beach * 2011 (Nov) - POP (13 days!!!) * 2013 (Jul) - Saratoga Springs * 2014 (Jul) Boardwalk Villas * 2015 (Jul) AKV/VWL * 2016 (Jul) OKW

DVC SSR > Mar-2013

8. Thanks j2k thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

AKL is our favorite. We don't mind the bus rides at all. At least I'm not driving...LOL

The rooms are richly decorated in brown, beige & cream tones. It's very calming and relaxing for us. The room size is not a big deal since we spend our time at the parks or by the pool.

We did not care for Boma, but then again we don't care for buffet style dining.

We have been to AKL a coupe of times and can't wait to stay there again.
    First WDW Trip 1984
    30+ Trips since 1984
    Disneyland 4 Visits
    Disneyland Paris 2010
    40th Wedding Anniversary December 2013
    Disney Cruises 2: Magic 2005, Fantasy 2012
    Last Trip November 2019

10. Thanks j2k thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Love akl. Lowest priced deluxe usually. Very friendly, first class staff. Great service. Immaculate grounds. Long walk to bus stop from some areas. One of the best gift shops at wdw. Bus rides are longer, but mostly just to mk.
    Highly recommended at least once. Twice for us so far.
    12/1987 Off site
    12/2000 All star movies
    7/2001 Coronado springs
    7/2001 Animal kingdom lodge
    12/2001 All star music
    7/2003 Port Orleans
    7/2003 All star sports
    7/2004 Pop Century
    7/2010 All star movies
    7/2011 Pop Century
    3/2013 Pop Century
    4/2013 All star movies

12. Thanks j2k thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

AKL is a lovely resort. It is DH's favorite. Bus rides are not really that long. Grounds are beautiful and I love watching the animals. We have always gotten a pool view room and have always gotten a room discount or free dining.
    TRACEY
    ºOº

Disneyland as a kid
    11/02-POFQ * 07/04-Disneyland PPH * 11/05-AKL * 10/08-CBR * 12/10-WL * 11/11-AKL * 11/12-AKL * 11/13-GF * 11/14-AKL * 06/15-Poly * 12/15-YC * 5/16-BWI * 12/16-BC * 5/17-Poly * 10/17-GF * 12/18-POFQ * 12/19-YC * 12/20-CSR * 12/21-BC * 3/22-CSR

Next: 9/22*BWI

14. Thanks j2k thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the feedback!! I truly appreciate it.

Post Thanks / Like

AKL is my all-time favorite resort. My dad and I went the year it opened, and have been in love with it ever since. We've stayed at Jambo and Kidani, and while I loved Kidani, its quite a hike back to Jambo for the Mara and gift shop. Just keep that in mind if you stay there. In the past it seems like it has been discounted. I've rented DVC points several times for the 1 bedroom villas and DVC studio, and it was alot cheaper. I would stay there every time if we could- my hubby thinks its too dark. You are somewhat limited on dining if you don't like exotic foods (we happen to love African, Indian, and exotic foods in general, so its pretty much our perfect place.) We've never had a bad experience with the buses there, but I've heard alot of people complain about it. It does take a while to get to MK, but for me its never really mattered because I really like the more remote location.

The only bad experience I've ever had there was one night there was some issue with pipes in the wall above us making a terribly loud noise (at like 3 am), and they comped us a night. So there was a problem but the manager took care of us. I highly recommend it!
    1980-2001 CR;CBR 2001 AKL 2002 AKL 2003 AKL 2004 AKL; CB; AKL 2007 WL 2008 AKL 9/09 AKL Jambo 12/10 AKL Kidani 9/11 AKL Kidani 9/12 AKL 12/12 AKL 5/13 AKL 12/13 SS 9/14 BLT 12/14 SS 2/15 Aulani DVC 7/15 CBR 10/15 Yacht Club 12/16 DS 7/17 Aulani 01/19 POR 08/19 Yacht Club

17. Thanks j2k thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Just remember while the AKL is further from MK, it is the closest of any resort to AK. There is a chart somewhere that shows the average bus time bw resort & parks but alas I cannot quickly locate it. Perhaps another PP can find it. In the meantime Disney itself lists the distances bw parks & resorts - maybe that would help you.
    Last edited by brownie; 06-17-2016 at 10:32 PM. Reason: Removed link

19. Thanks j2k thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

DH and I were reading all these responses and are convinced it is definitely worth it for us to look into staying there. It's an adventure in itself.

We like to use the buses because of the ease of not driving. Relaxing a little on the ride. 😃

We aren't really big on exotic foods, but that's not a real issue because we don't eat many meals at the resort.

Our kids (DD10 and DS2) will love the the animals.

I think we will definitely try to make AKL work in our budget.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Stayed at AKL and it was AMAZING! The cast members there were the friendliest of everyone we met. The resort is very peaceful, and I loved rocking in the rocking chairs.
    I'll meet you at the Rainbow Bridge.

22. Thanks j2k thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cinderelley View Post
    I loved rocking in the rocking chairs.
    Oh yes, the rocking chairs outside were fun overlooking the Savannah peninsula. Took a family picture sitting in them.
    Disneyland 30+
    * 2000 (Jul) - Off-site * 2003 (Aug) - Contemporary * 2006 (Jul) - Fort Wilderness Cabins * 2009-10 (Dec-Jan) - Caribbean Beach * 2011 (Nov) - POP (13 days!!!) * 2013 (Jul) - Saratoga Springs * 2014 (Jul) Boardwalk Villas * 2015 (Jul) AKV/VWL * 2016 (Jul) OKW

DVC SSR > Mar-2013

Post Thanks / Like

Visited it a few times. Stayed there (adults) last summer for a little over a week. Jambo House. Savannah view deluxe studio. It was fantastic. Sitting there having breakfast at the room watching the giraffes and other animals out of the room balcony each morning......... priceless.

We love Boma and Sanna. Mara is "OK". Atmosphere and staff are first rate. Lobby architecture is fantastic. The bus rides is a "non-issue" 95% of the time.

Upshot: We now own a DVC membership with the home resort as AKV.

best,

....................john

DVC Member 2016 AKL
    After: October 2019 F+W Fest <Jambo>
    Next: March 2019 Flower and Garden Fest <Jambo>
    Last: August 2018 <Kidani>
    October 2017 F+W Fest <Kidani>
    Also: 1988, 1990, 1992, 1997, 2010, 2012, 2015, 2016
    Disneyland - 1972

25. Thanks j2k thanked for this post
    Likes snowflakegirl liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

AKL is one of my favorite resorts. I've stayed at both Jambo in a regular room and Kidani in a 1 bedroom villa. Sizewise both Wilderness Lodge and AKL have smaller standard rooms than the other deluxe resorts. My kids particularly like the bunk bed rooms. Kidani has a great water play area.

The resort is very tranquil and the animals are a great plus. One of our favorite activities is night viewing and talking to the cast members from Africa. We have never stayed in a Savannah room but still enjoy the resort. If the Savannah rooms are too expensive, the pool rooms are a nice option especially since they are very centrally located at Jambo.

I almost always have my car so I do not take the buses often but for I have never found the ride to be that much longer to the parks. I think AKL's reputation of being remote is more because it is only resort at AK and there is no direct park access so it feels much quieter than the resorts on the MK loop or the Epcot resorts.
    Cindy aka AgentC
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations, Dining, Movies, TV, Music & Musicals

27. Thanks j2k thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We have visited most of the resorts at this point (although only stayed at a couple) and AKL was one of the ones that after visiting I knew made it to my someday I have to stay here list. We've stayed there twice now and absolutely love it. Although a little longer to MK, we didn't find the bus rides to be too bad for the most part (there was one night our first trip that the wait for the bus from Epcot to AKL was horrendous, but we didn't see that happen on our second trip, so I think it was a fluke). We were there last summer with our two year old and didn't find the bus rides to be too long even with him. The cast members, architecture and theming in general are amazing, and we love the restaurants. We visited Kidani Village on our last two trips and I think that will be our next Deluxe resort to try. But I would whole heartedly recommend giving AKL a chance. As someone else has said, if you have a Savanah view room, having coffee on your balcony watching the giraffes and other animals is a truly incredible experience.

NEXT TRIP -
    WDW 08/18 ~ First family trip w/our 2 yo, 5 yo, my parents & our best friends &their 2 &5 yr olds.

PAST TRIPS -
    DISNEY WORLD
    04/16 (pre second babymoon), 08/15 (first trip with our own child), 08/10, 08/08, 04/05, 01/04, 04/02, summers 88, 90, 92 and 97.

DISNEYLAND
    03/06

Post Thanks / Like

AKL is one of my favorites. My biggest dislike is that it's such a great resort that I find we don't spend as much time at the parks as we might on other trips because we don't want to miss out on anything at the resort. But is that really a disadvantage? Seriously, although the CS, Mara, is one of my favorites, for its offerings, the way it's run, where people stand in line, order while the CM writes it down, then wait for their food, makes it extremely slow.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the replies! We booked AKL for our trip!! I am excited. The kids will love it. We're planning a day at the resort to explore and such. Now I need to start counting down. 10 months to go. 😃

31. Likes madhatterrules liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I love AKL and can't wait to visit it again. I like Jambo House better than Kidani, though I did want to mention one thing. ONE time we had a horrid experience with the buses to Hollywood Studios. The bus wasn't showing up. The cast member that was stationed at the parking area kept saying that one was on its way but none ever arrived. It turns out that the bus was filling up at Kidani and skipping the Jambo stop because there was no room. We hopped onto a Downtown Disney bus, got off at Kidani and got on the next bus to HS (which skipped Jambo as well). That's the only time that has ever happened, and I've stayed there multiple times, but if it's something you're worried about it's really not that long of a walk to the Kidani bus stop (or take the Downtown Disney bus to it) and then you'll be the first pick up location for the parks.
    Aryn

I am the rebel spy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mydisneygirls View Post
    Now this is just my opinion, but when we entered the lobby, I found it to be dark and unappealing (to me).
    Now that we've stayed there I can say I agree with you on this.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: