Quantcast Rivers of Light to replaced by Jungle Book Show for Summer 2016

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Rivers of Light to replaced by Jungle Book Show for Summer 2016

Disney has announced additional details for the Magic of Nature After Dark event kicking off Memorial Day Weekend 2016, with the surprising change that the Rivers of Light will be preempted by a new Jungle Book show on Discovery River:

Disney’s Animal Kingdom Introduces the Magic of Nature After Dark With First-Ever Extended Park Hours Starting Memorial Day Weekend.

New Limited-Engagement Show Celebrates The Jungle Book

Walt Disney World Press Release
    April 20, 2016

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla – Nightfall brings more mystery and majesty to Disney’s Animal Kingdom theme park as guests discover rich new experiences under the stars. Whether riding Kilimanjaro Safaris at sunset, rollicking aboard rafts on Kali River Rapids at twilight, dancing alongside African performers in Harambe, or reveling in a live musical celebration of Disney’s new hit film The Jungle Book, guests at Disney’s Animal Kingdom can enjoy the park’s captivating new vibe and tone when it expands its offerings with extended hours and enhanced entertainment, scheduled to begin Memorial Day Weekend.

“Disney’s Animal Kingdom is such a majestic and beautiful park,” said George A. Kalogridis, President of Walt Disney World Resort, “With new experiences and new ways to experience favorite attractions, nighttime at Disney’s Animal Kingdom will be a can’t-miss experience for Walt Disney World guests.”

Like the animal world itself, Disney’s Animal Kingdom continues to evolve since opening on Earth Day in 1998. As the park shifts to nighttime, a magical ambiance emerges, inviting guests to share in its wonder with heightened senses. At nightfall the sounds of rustling foliage, animal calls, and colorful prayer flags flapping in the wind become even more distinct. Softly lit, once-familiar paths now cast in shadows make every twist and turn a new discovery. Most of the park’s popular attractions will remain open for guests to enjoy after dark.

The animal encounters shift at twilight, too, as darkness camouflages the boundaries between wildlife and guests. The kingdom comes alive with intriguing nighttime animal behaviors — never disappointing humanity’s enduring fascination with creatures of our planet.

Highlights of new experiences:

The Tree of Life Awakens

The theme park’s iconic Tree of Life will undergo extraordinary “awakenings” throughout the evening as the animal spirits are brought to life by magical fireflies that reveal colorful stories of wonder and enchantment. High-tech projections of nature scenes take on a magical quality as they appear to dramatically emanate from within the Tree of Life.

Kilimanjaro Safaris after Dark

Each evening, the popular Kilimanjaro Safaris daytime experience is artfully bathed in the glow of sunset with special lighting allowing guests to explore this attraction well into the night. During the expedition, guests can now encounter the nighttime behavior of the wildlife and better tune in to the unique vocalization of the animals. Plus, there are two new species to discover: African wild dogs and hyenas.

The Jungle Book: Alive with Magic

For the summer, Discovery River becomes the stage for music and pageantry in a limited-engagement show inspired by Disney’s hit live-action film The Jungle Book. Jungle Book: Alive with Magic is a live show filled with music and special effects that celebrates the new film and the classic songs, now infused with an Indian influence.

Harambe Wildlife Parti

When the sun sets, the popular Village of Harambe will become a hot spot with the new Harambe Wildlife Parti. Here, “party animals” can dance alongside a variety of entertainers and local street musicians, and enjoy the lively rhythms of African music. Guests can also partake in exotic foods and libations, and explore the diverse wares of village artisans and merchants in the vibrant marketplace.

Discovery Island Carnivale

The spirited community of Discovery Island has come together to celebrate their love of the natural world with the Discovery Island Carnivale. This nightly experience will captivate guests with lively music, jubilant dance, vibrant costumes, stilt walkers and tasty culinary creations — winding from one end of the island to the other.

Tiffins Signature Restaurant

In addition to the diverse new entertainment offerings, guests will enjoy Disney’s Animal Kingdom’s new signature eatery, Tiffins. Open for both lunch and dinner, this new signature dining experience will celebrate the art of traveling and include waterfront views from both indoor and outdoor seating areas. “Tiffin” is an Indian English word meaning midday meal or type of container used to carry food while traveling.

New Adventures with Favorite Attractions

Most attractions remain open at nightfall, and will shine like never before. At sundown, Kali River Rapids will reveal mysterious twists and turns throughout the rainforest with dramatic and drenching fun. Expedition Everest thrills adventurers as it lurches forward and backward through the icy peaks of the Himalayas. At night, the majestic mountain challenges trekkers to an evening ride revealing breathtaking views of the Animal Kingdom canopied by starlight. Amidst the colorful midway games at Chester & Hester’s Dino-Rama in DinoLand U.S.A., the thrills turn up aboard the zany Triceratop Spin or Primeval Whirl under the lights.

More Magic to Come with “Rivers of Light”

The nighttime will grow even more magical with the premiere of the majestic nighttime jewel, “Rivers of Light.” This illuminating musical experience – currently in development with a premiere date to be announced soon – will celebrate the magic of animals, humans and the natural world with a blend of performers, floating lanterns and theatrical animal imagery.

On the natural stage of Discovery River, guests will marvel as a timeless custom comes to life before their eyes in a stirring performance. The ceremony begins with the arrival of a pair of mystical hosts, two complementary forces who come to the river bearing gifts of light. They set out from the shore on elaborate lantern vessels, engaging in a dramatic dance of water and light to summon the animal spirits. With these storytellers as guides, the wonders of “Rivers of Light” unfold, building to a magnificent finale with bursts of light as animal images soar to the heavens– signifying the ancient belief that when animals passed from one world to another they danced in the sky and became beautiful rivers of light.

To create “Rivers of Light,” Imagineers and Disney Creative Entertainment are collaborating with experts including award-winning master designer Michael Curry. Film composer Don L. Harper created the soaring musical score for the nighttime show, which also includes an original song by noted composer Mark Mancina. Disney also collaborated with the award-winning filmmakers at Disneynature to bring never-before-seen footage, telling dramatic and compelling stories from the animal world to the show.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Figment! aka Jason ºoº
    INTERCOT STAFF
    News, Rumours & Imagineering
    Dining
    Vacations Beyond Disney

~It’s what us storytellers do; we restore order with imagination, we instill hope again and again~

~We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things~

Post Thanks / Like

How can you replace something that never opened?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyRox View Post
    How can you replace something that never opened?
    EXACTLY what I was going to say. Ridiculous.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm so confused by this. This is almost exactly a month away, and I'd really love it if Disney would release more details (hours, showtimes, etc) so I can better plan the trip I have for Memorial Weekend!
    1986 & 1990 - off-site
    1988 - Dixie Landings
    1995 - Euro Disney - Hotel New York
    2001 - CBR
    2008 - POP
    March & May 2016 - POP
    July 2016 - CSR
    Sept 2016 - CSR
    Nov 2016 - POFQ & WL
    March 2017 - POR
    May 2017 - POR
    Upcoming trip: Nov 2019

Post Thanks / Like

I am so disappointed! Our trip is in July and we were really looking forward to this. First it was delayed to open, now replaced? How is that possible if they've been working on it all this time?
    Port Orleans French Quarter July 2016[/B][/COLOR]
    Port Orleans French Quarter & Wilderness Lodge June/July 2012
    Port Orleans French Quarter August 2010
    Port Orleans French Quarter-August 2007
    Disney Land- October 2005
    Port Orleans French Quarter-July 2005
    Many trips off-site as a child

Post Thanks / Like

For those in the Philly area, FYI Philly on 6ABC will be dedicating this Saturday's show (5/7 @ 7PM EDT) to the new night features at AK. I'm sure it will be on demand and on the 6ABC website after it airs. I plan to give it a watch.
    Beth & David

09/82 Treehouse Villas, 06/86 BVP, 10/95 CBR, 10/99 DI, 08/03 PORS, 10/05 POP, 11/06 AKL, 09/09 POLY, 10/10 Wonder, 05/11 Dream/PORS, 08/13 POLY, 11/13 GF, 04/15 POLY, 11/15 BLT, 11/16 Aulani, 03/17 BLT, 08/18 BLT, 07/19 AKL, 06/21 BLT

7. Thanks Hammer thanked for this post
    Likes Hammer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I was in AK on Thursday and the seating areas are now in plain view and appear complete.

9. Likes baldburke liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Question

Have the hours/times been posted?
    Beach Club Villa's 10/03
    Portofino Bay and Beach Club Villa's 10/04
    Saratoga Springs Resort 10/05
    Pop Century and Beach Club Villa's 10/06
    Boardwalk Villas 06/11

Post Thanks / Like

Arrow

Disney Parks & Resorts has released a behinds the scenes preview of the making of the nighttime show:

Quote Originally Posted by nat
    Have the hours/times been posted?
    Yes, they are available on the official Animal Kingdom Entertainment Schedule at disneyworld.disney.go.com/entertainment/animal-kingdom
    Figment! aka Jason ºoº
    INTERCOT STAFF
    News, Rumours & Imagineering
    Dining
    Vacations Beyond Disney

~It’s what us storytellers do; we restore order with imagination, we instill hope again and again~

~We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things~

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you!!!!
    Beach Club Villa's 10/03
    Portofino Bay and Beach Club Villa's 10/04
    Saratoga Springs Resort 10/05
    Pop Century and Beach Club Villa's 10/06
    Boardwalk Villas 06/11

Post Thanks / Like

Reviews hitting the Internets indicate that this Jungle Book show is a flop. People walking out ala Tarzan Rocks!

Sounds like they are doing a dinner package for this to get your reserved seats, you may want to pass on this one.

Post Thanks / Like

Reviews hitting the Internets indicate that this Jungle Book show is a flop. People walking out ala Tarzan Rocks!

Sounds like they are doing a dinner package for this to get your reserved seats, you may want to pass on this one.
    So we hurried to try and see this show one evening on our trip in June. In all fairness, we arrived a little after it started and we were not able to sit in the seating areas but were along the side of the body of water by the fence. I was hoping that what they were going for was a type of World of Color show (that may be what the original show is going to be - I don't know) but this was floating barges with what seemed like live performers (I know the performers were live - it seemed like the music may have been live), doing Jungle Book music with an Indian vibe. In the distant background were water screens with projections. It seemed to go on and on - just the same type dancing to song after song. We ended up leaving our spot be the fence before the show ended to a better deal which in this case was Expedition Everest at night.

So for us, the show was just - meh.

Let me tell you about Everest. It was cool. I had done it at night a long time ago - but since then, I had only seen disco yeti. On this evening, they had Mr. Yeti fully lit (not in disco strobe mode) AND he is awesome! I never fully got to see him before he is HUGE!!!! Just an amazing non moving anamatronic. My teenaged son was surprised as well at just how massive this guy is! I know the yeti is down and all that, but it was so cool to finally get to see him with more than a flashing light.

The TREE OF LIFE projection show was another highlight of the evening. The way it is lit in its "down time" really highlights the animals and when it begins one of its shows - it is a must see. We stood right at the fence up close, but I think you may even get a better view further back up the walkway.

Be aware that the pathways at night are very narrow and it is pretty dark there. I think it will be better once the Pandora area opens so it won't be as congested.

Would love to hear what other people think of the evenings at Animal Kingdom.
    Carrie

CBR: 2/21-2/25/17
    POR: 6/4-6/11/16
    POFQ: 11/15-11/19/15
    8/28-9/1/14 -DL-Dumbo 19.3 C2C
    POR: 1/7-1/14/14 -Dopey 48.6
    POR: 6/11-6/17/13
    ASMu: 1/11-1/15/13 -1st Full 26.2
    ASMu: 9/22-9/28/11
    ASMu: 6/7-6/13/11
    Pop: 1/30-2/6/10
    Pop: 2/1-2/7/09
    Pop: 1/08
    ASMu: 05/06
    Off-site: 12/93

Post Thanks / Like

Glad I found your review. I did book the Jungle Book Live dinner package at Tiffins. I also want to try to hit EE at night. It sounds like EE at night is a better option than JBL. How was the line for EE while the show was going on?
    '74 Contemporary
    '76 Contemporary

'90 CBR
    '97 Off Site
    '00 Swan
    '05 GF
    '08 GF RPC
    '09 GF RPC-Short SURPRISE trip for kids
    '11 GF RPC

'12 Contemporary
    '14 GF RPC
    '15 DL VGC
    '16 VGF

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rjmdds View Post
    Glad I found your review. I did book the Jungle Book Live dinner package at Tiffins. I also want to try to hit EE at night. It sounds like EE at night is a better option than JBL. How was the line for EE while the show was going on?
    The JBL show may be better when you get there on time and have a place to sit - Our situation was not ideal. I am excited to hear about your Tiffins experience.

The line for EE during the show was very light. We walked through the whole queue and did not slow until we reached the room that has all the museum-like artifacts of the yeti and then since it has such a large capacity - it moves really fast. At the time, it did not seem like there was a fast pass line slowing things down - but I could be wrong on that.
    Carrie

Post Thanks / Like

Does this show go on during fall hours when the park is only open until 5 ?
    2 TRIPS AS A CHILD!
    00-CBR 1st trip with now husband!
    05 ASM
    07 CR & 1st MNSSHP
    08 POFQ MNSSHP
    09 BW MNSSHP
    10 AKL MNSSHP
    11 CS MNSSHP!
    12 Two DL Trips & MNSSHP
    13 POLY MNSSHP
    14 WL MNSSHP
    15 POLY MNSSHP
    16 CS & 10th MNSSHP
    17 POR & MNSSHP
    18 AKL 1st MVMCP
    19 POR MNSSHP

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by garthbarth1 View Post
    Does this show go on during fall hours when the park is only open until 5 ?
    I'm wondering the same thing. Will be there in October.

best,

.............john

DVC Member 2016 AKL
    After: October 2019 F+W Fest <Jambo>
    Next: March 2019 Flower and Garden Fest <Jambo>
    Last: August 2018 <Kidani>
    October 2017 F+W Fest <Kidani>
    Also: 1988, 1990, 1992, 1997, 2010, 2012, 2015, 2016
    Disneyland - 1972

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WiltonJohn View Post
    I'm wondering the same thing. Will be there in October.

best,

.............john
    Every single night of our last trip AK was open until 11 which is significantly later than before they offered evening attractions. The show appeared twice nightly (Last show of the evening being at 10:30). I hope that they are going to extend the hours in the winter months, too. I have nothing to base this on, but it seems like they would.
    Carrie

Post Thanks / Like

I think the intent is the not have to close the park early like it has been. Historically it's been a half day park, if there's stuff to do at night, maybe people will stay. Doesn't sound like this show is worth staying for however. Once Pandora opens, maybe...

Post Thanks / Like

Granted, I saw a YouTube of the show, but those were my thoughts exactly. It was just droning music for what seemed like forever.

I'm a big fan of AK at night, it's a pretty incredible experience at night, the park transforms. Pass on the show and just enjoy a stroll around the park would be my choice.

Post Thanks / Like

Granted, I saw a YouTube of the show, but those were my thoughts exactly. It was just droning music for what seemed like forever.

I'm a big fan of AK at night, it's a pretty incredible experience at night, the park transforms. Pass on the show and just enjoy a stroll around the park would be my choice.
    Well, at least it isn't just me. Sometimes I wonder if I am too critical - but I always try to add the disclaimer that "these are my thoughts and your experience may be different" kind of deal. I think the recommendation of checking out the show on Youtube is a good idea.

I think all the parks at night are magical, although the bus transportation back to the resort can be beastly. If they could get that piece of it down and really move guests along, the night-time park experiences could be so much better. That may be an unfair assessment. They do an alright job with the sheer numbers of guests that they have to manage... Maybe it is just time for us to seriously consider car rental.

Another observation - we did not participate in the dance street party - it was rockin' over by Flame Tree but we are not the street party type.

DisneyRox, have you seen the Tree of Life show? I just loved it. So cool how you would be watching it and then all of a sudden different animals would move. I think they got it right on that experience.
    Carrie