Quantcast Parking Upcharge

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Parking Upcharge

Just saw this on twitter from WDW News Today. It's also showing up on various boards but with no official word I'll label this rumor for the time being.
    Beginning March 15th and lasting for just a few days, guests parking at the Magic Kingdom or Epcot will have the option of paying for a premium parking space closer to the park entrance (or at least a monorail or ferryboat). The charge for the premium parking is $15 above the regular $20 charge. There is no word yet on what the charge will be for resort guests or annual passholders, but we would assume that they would pay just $15 since they are already offered complimentary regular parking.

The exact locations of the premium spaces are unknown at this time.
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

2. Dislikes magicofdisney disliked this post
  3.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I knew that rumor had been going around. I assume this is probably a trial run during a peak busy time. Hopefully it doesn't last. The money grabs are just getting out of hand.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning, Guests with Special Needs, and Weather Guru

Post Thanks / Like

Seems pointless to me. Unless they start charging for the tram.

Post Thanks / Like

I will be shocked if this doesn't become permanent. They are plucking money from everything else so why not squeeze parking while they are at it?

Post Thanks / Like

A number of theme parks already do this. This doesn't bother me at all as it's 100% optional.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

8. Likes baldburke, DisneyGiant liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Busch Gardens has been doing that for years. I think it is $10 more for the premier parking in Williamsburg. I have a season pass so my parking is free but if the premier parking is an option I will usually spring the $10 for it. It makes things much faster getting home. I would imagine Disney would do the same thing for AP holders and resort guests.
    Clay
    Old Dominion University
    Class of 2001

I got bit by the Big Blue Beast and I loved it...

Post Thanks / Like

I believe Silver Dollar City does this. Still takes forever to get inside the park.
    Jack Sparrow: Hide the rum

91-98 Off property
    ASMusic-99
    POFQ-01 Wildfires
    ASMovies-02,03
    Pop-04 Hurricane Jeanne
    Pop-05 Tropical Storm Arlene
    Pop-09,10,11
    Sports-12
    Pop-15

Post Thanks / Like

Legoland FL does this, but it's reasonable, and there's no tram (last I went). We walked when we did the driving thing anyway, a further walk would help burn off the calories consumed that day.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't have a problem with this, there is a tram, and I have never had a issue leaving the park in a car, even at busy times like Christmas week. If people want to pay extra to park close, let them.
    "Welcome, Foolish Mortals..."

Post Thanks / Like

People think I'm crazy because I pay an extra $40 one way for extra leg room on the plane.

If people want to do that for parking - I say go for it.

But I really want it to flop. The trams take you right up the entrance for goodness sake
    SSR & BC DVC Member
    Coming up - BWV July '18
    BWI '98, BWV '05, '08-16
    BLT - '15, '17
    Beach Club '96, BCV - '04, '06, 09
    Swan '07
    Contemporary - '91, '94, '02, '04
    Wilderness Lodge '00, VWL, 08
    Off Site - '80's

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyRox View Post
    Legoland FL does this, but it's reasonable, and there's no tram (last I went). We walked when we did the driving thing anyway, a further walk would help burn off the calories consumed that day.
    Not sure it would be a father walk, I usually get to the parks for rope drop, and am directed to parked in a lot on the extreme left of the park. Walking to the gate I pass lots that are filled in later in the day.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyGiant View Post
    But I really want it to flop. The trams take you right up the entrance for goodness sake
    When put that way it almost sounds like a plan to fleece the first timers.

16. Likes DisneyGiant liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy1998 View Post
    When put that way it almost sounds like a plan to fleece the first timers.
    And that would be something new?

Steve
    First visit: Disneyland, July 17, 1955 (well, somebody had to be there on opening day!)

Most Recent Visit:
    Disneyland - June 21-25, 2017
    WDW - Sep 22 - Oct 5, 2019
    Next up: WDW - May 9 - 16, 2020 at Riviera!
    Dec 5 - 16, 2020 at Poly

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy1998 View Post
    Not sure it would be a father walk, I usually get to the parks for rope drop, and am directed to parked in a lot on the extreme left of the park. Walking to the gate I pass lots that are filled in later in the day.
    Sorry, I didn't mention... The walking was at Disney. We never leverage the tram, regardless of how close we park. If it's further, then more calories. Think of it as making lemonade out of lemons.

If you don't feel like walking, just follow the green line. Used to be closer parking at Epcot, MGM and AK if my memory serves me right.

Post Thanks / Like

It is no wonder that businesses feel pressured to 'be like everybody else.' Guests/customers even expect them all to do the same things. I must have really been foolish to fight against that mindset in my own business life.

20. Likes ChipNDale79 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tekneek View Post
    It is no wonder that businesses feel pressured to 'be like everybody else.' Guests/customers even expect them all to do the same things. I must have really been foolish to fight against that mindset in my own business life.
    You never heard "monkey see, monkey do" growing up?

Drives me crazy in meetings when our business partners come to the table with ideas and they they pull out screenshot of competitors websites. Funny thing, we just decommissioned one of these brilliant ideas after 4 or 5 years. Never sold one..

22. Likes ChipNDale79 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So basically Disney is no longer a trend setter, they are just simply followers. Disney is/was the best because they were different than everyone else, everyone wanted to be like them, instead of the other way around.
    82 - Offsite
    85- Fort Wilderness
    88- Polynesian
    96- Offsite
    97- Offsite
    98- Offsite
    08 - French Quarter
    09 - Coronado Springs
    09 - All Star Sports
    09 - Pop Century
    09 - Off Site
    10- French Quarter
    11 - All Star Sports
    14 -Coronado Springs
    15 - All Star Sports
    17 - TBD

Post Thanks / Like

I agree and that seems to be the common defense when anyone brings up displeasure with something Disney is doing. I just long for the days when Disney stood out as a leader and they increased profits by building, not cutting. Even the new additions that they are building seem kind of like a reactionary measure to Universal, almost like they were forced into it.

I miss the company that was a leader and not a follower. To me, they no longer stand-out as a special company - they are just like any other themepark company (at least they are getting there). We will still go, although not as often, and we will have a good time. However, I do not have that same feeling of excitement and loyalty that I used to. I am hoping the new additions bring back some of that 'magic' but there will be a part of me always wondering why it took them so long to build. In the mean time, we will also be spending less at Disney and more at Universal and other places - something we did not even think about a few years ago. This is not out of spite or boycott or anything - it is simply the result of other companies offering new experiences on par (perhaps better in some cases) with Disney.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ChipNDale79 View Post
    So basically Disney is no longer a trend setter, they are just simply followers. Disney is/was the best because they were different than everyone else, everyone wanted to be like them, instead of the other way around.
    Funny - this is my sentiment exactly. You posted my thoughts a few minutes before me!

26. Likes ChipNDale79 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

When I was there this past December they reversed parked and if you arrived early you were directed to park near the back. The later you went the closer parking was. One afternoon we got to EPCOT and parked on the grass very close to the monorail. It was the best parking ever.
    I would not pay for preferred parking and if that is what others wan so be it. But I would rather use that money for something else like a mickey pop!! I know going to the parks it will be a lot of walking regardless and parking far means extra mickey pops!! HAHAHAHA
    Disney Cruise 2017
    AKL 2016
    PORR 2015
    Beach Club 2013
    POP Century August 2011
    Disney Cruise Dream 2011
    Cruise Disney Wonder 2006
    Wilderness Lodge, 04, 06, 08, 10
    Allstar Movies 02
    Allstar Sports 96. 98, 00
    Offsite 2015 x2, 90,89, 85

28. Likes Sylvia liked this post