Quantcast First time to Universal Orlando

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default First time to Universal Orlando

We have been to WDW several times but have not made it to Universal yet.

We are looking at going to Universal, mid-week, the last week of May.

We definitely want to stay on-site and leaning towards a deluxe to get the free Express Passes.

Our family is 5. But, we are thinking about taking our nephew with us. Looking for recommendations on how to save some money, traveling with 6 people.

Short of getting a suite, it looks like we have no choice but to get 2 rooms.

I came across something that said if you have an annual pass you can save a % on rooms and tickets. Can anyone verify if and how much of a discount for passholders? I could buy 1 annual pass no problem.

We will be getting 4-day tickets with park-to-park option.

Any other suggestions for a first trip?

Which resort is closest to the parks? would like to be able to take boat or walk.

Anything not to miss at the City Walk?

The kids will be 7, 11, 11, 13.

Any and all insight is greatly appreciated!

We will be driving to Orlando for the first time, so will have a car. but doubt we will bother leaving Universal property while we are there.

Thanks!
    Disneyland: many, MANY times!
    WDW:POR POFQ BWV WLV ASMu POLY

Am I a huge disney fan? YOU BETCHA! I blame it all on my parents! They are the one's that walked around Disneyland all day to induce labor! Yep, I've been going to Disneyland since the day before I was born!

2. Likes MizMissy liked this post
  3.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi There!
    First off, you're going to have an excellent time at Universal, regardless of where you stay. Everything is immersive, top notch, and laid back in terms of planning and spontaneity (especially with having the Express passes!).

We have stayed at all of the onsite properties and I've listed some notes on each:

Closest to the parks (5 - 10 minute walk):
    Hard Rock Hotel - has boat transportation to parks
    Royal Pacific - has boat transportation to parks

Still walkable to the parks (10 - 15 minutes), but taking transportation is sometimes easier as we found it to be very efficient:
    Portofino Bay - has boat transportation to parks
    Cabana Bay (does not offer the free Express Pass) - has bus transportation to parks

Our favorite is Portofino Bay, but coming in a close second is Royal Pacific. For being a value resort, Cabana Bay is incredible and we loved it. However, the lack of having included Express passes is sort of a deal-breaker for us.

Yes, Annual Passholders get discounts on rooms at certain times and it can be a significant savings. To check the discount availability and rate, enter APH as the discount code on the Loews website.

Just as a quick note - the price for a 4 day park-to-park ticket is very close to the cost of a Power Pass Annual Pass. If you find that you love Universal, you'd have the option of going back again in the next year and your tickets would already be covered. The Power Pass does have black out dates (summer and the big holidays), but May is not blacked out and you could use them on this trip. Just something to consider as you are ticket shopping.

Good luck with the planning!!
    Disney World fanatic, over 50 visits<br />University of Michigan - Class of 1996<br />"If you can dream it, you can do it..."

Post Thanks / Like

We are a family of six, and stayed at Royal Pacific last year. We are returning there this summer and have two connecting rooms. We loved Express Pass and would not stay anywhere else because of them. I found that purchasing the Express Pass and staying somewhere else was much more expensive. (Six Express Passes for Three Days) As far as cost, we found that booking through a third party hotel discount site with a discount code worked best for us. The downside is that you pay for the whole reservation when you book, however it was much less expensive than booking with Leows. If you're going during a slow time, you may not need Express Pass. We went a few summers ago, and regretted not purchasing them because of the crowds. We brought breakfast items with us, and ate in the rooms. We ate lunch and dinner at the Universal restaurants. There are great onsite restaurants as well as many fast food options at City Walk. We always bring a backpack cooler into the parks with water and drinks.
    80&89 Off-site, HONEYMOON 97 Port Orleans, '02 & '03 Offsite, '04 Poly Concierge, '05 Poly,'07 Contemporary, Feb. 08 GF, Dec. '08 Poly, May '10 Offsite, Mar.'11 FW Cabin,May '12 and July'12 Wyndham Bonnet Creek,July'13 Windsor Hills, March '14 AofA, Fourth of July '14 Poly,June 2015 SSR

Post Thanks / Like

We loved Royal Pacific twice. If you have four day park tx you might not need park to park option. However, it is fun to take the Hogwarts express to each park. I love Universal and find it much more user friendly than WDW. Have fun!
    2017 WDW All Star Music/Universal RP
    2016 :(
    2015 Universal-Royal Pacific
    2014 :(
    2013 Fall: Wilderness Lodge
    2011-12 :(
    2010 French Quarter
    2009 Pop & AKL
    2008 Polynesian
    2007 ASM & BCR
    2006 AKL

Post Thanks / Like

We love staying onsite at Universal. Hard Rock is our favorite, but with a teenager thats probably to be expected. You're going to love the unlimited express passes, we won't do Universal without them anymore (which always means staying onsite, since thats cheaper than paying OOP for them, great economics on Universals part IMHO), they are a must have for us. staying onsite is amazing as not only are there great restaurants at all of the resorts, but you're a quick walk (or rickshaw ride) away from citywalk and all of the great options there as well. Love staying at Universal!
    Apr 2007 - ASMu
    Apr 2008 - Offsite
    Nov 2009 - ASMu
    Feb 2011 - CBR
    Aug 2011 - ASMu
    Aug 2012 - POFQ
    Sept 2013 - POR/AKV
    Mar 2014 - AKV
    Aug 2014 - AKV
    June 2015 - VGC/Aulani
    Nov 2015 - POP
    Aug 2016 - CSR/AKV
    Oct 2017 - AKV/BLT

Post Thanks / Like

ive stayed at Royal Pacific and Hard ROck and would pick RP above Hard Rock. express pass is good. im going again in Sept and debating where to stay. Cabana w no express pass, Sapphire or Royal Pacific. i check diff sites for prices along w check universal site for AP prices. enjoy your trip
    BC 2
    WL CL 1
    AKL 4
    SOG 3
    POFQ 3
    POR 2
    CSR 4
    CBR 2
    Asp 3
    AS m 2
    POP 7
    12-13 WL CSR ASM