Quantcast How Much Is There To Do....Really? - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

My last time at Disneyland was in 1973 (I was 9). I still remember Pirates being incredible (much better than WDW) and my grandmother taking a nerve pill after getting off of the Matterhorn, lol. Yes, it may well be time to go back...

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I have been to both and love Walt Disney World because of the space. I love wandering around the expanse of EPCOT, the trails of Animal Kingdom, and the tributes to Walt at DHS.

I know this is not empirical data based on counting rides, but I love how there is so much space to experience at the World.

Lastly, I would feel wrong by not completing my post by saying that both places are magic!!

4. Likes Sylvia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stu29573 View Post
    My last time at Disneyland was in 1973 (I was 9). I still remember Pirates being incredible (much better than WDW) and my grandmother taking a nerve pill after getting off of the Matterhorn, lol. Yes, it may well be time to go back...
    That is too funny. The last time I was there, I was 10 years old in 1981. My mom and I chickened out just as we started to load!
    I loved Pirates at DL too. Now I'm wondering if I remember right in thinking that the drop is bigger in DL than WDW for pirates. But it may have been because I was a child too.
    I loved how the attraction went through the then Blue Bayou restaurant though!
    Quote Originally Posted by magicman View Post
    I have been to both and love Walt Disney World because of the space. I love wandering around the expanse of EPCOT, the trails of Animal Kingdom, and the tributes to Walt at DHS.

I know this is not empirical data based on counting rides, but I love how there is so much space to experience at the World.

Lastly, I would feel wrong by not completing my post by saying that both places are magic!!
    Love this. And I too love wondering around. I go often just to grab a drink and take in the sounds, sights, smells. It's a great place to escape on my own and just get away from reality!
    Terra - Wife, mother, special needs teacher. Disney addict! °o°

Advocate for my 2 sons. David: Auto-immune disorder. Praying for remission!ASD/SPD & Aaron: ADHD/Anxiety/ASD. Life makes us stronger!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Terra View Post
    That is too funny. The last time I was there, I was 10 years old in 1981. My mom and I chickened out just as we started to load!
    I loved Pirates at DL too. Now I'm wondering if I remember right in thinking that the drop is bigger in DL than WDW for pirates. But it may have been because I was a child too.
    I loved how the attraction went through the then Blue Bayou restaurant though!

Love this. And I too love wondering around. I go often just to grab a drink and take in the sounds, sights, smells. It's a great place to escape on my own and just get away from reality!
    Pirates at DL had two drops, both larger than WDWs.

And, it still goes by the Blue Bayou restaurant!
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

7. Thanks Terra thanked for this post
    Likes Terra, PopPhan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Spent a lot of time in DL as my parents moved to California in 1986. Very different feel in DL vs WDW.

DL caters more on local/repeat customers, as opposed to WDW which caters to one time visitors. And DL is the flagship park. We always found the MK in DL a cut above .....
    5/21 SSR & BCV
    11/19 Copper Creek Villas
    5/17 - Boardwalk Villas & Swan
    10/14 Legacy Villas
    10/11 & 12 Coronado Springs
    1981 - 2010 Offsite
    1974,76,78 Fort Wilderness
    8/87 - 05 Disneyland

Post Thanks / Like

No one gets ripped by going to WDW. I've done DL the last three years and would now consider myself a veteran and a fan. And while DL matches up with WDW well with attractions, there are things at WDW that sets it above DL for me. In fact, if it didn't cost so much to fly out there, there wouldn't have been all these DL trips I just made.

-Kilimanjaro Safaris
    -Expedition Everest (Matterhorn isn't even close...in fact, we all hate it)
    -Spaceship Earth
    -World Showcase (all 11 countries count as at least one attraction that DL doesn't have)
    -Illuminations (nothing can touch this)
    -20 resorts more than DL
    -47 square mile Disney Bubble

While DL can keep up mostly, there's quite a bit that makes WDW the place I keep trying to figure out how to get back to.
    My name is Gator. You killed my Sorcerer's Hat. Prepare to die.

DL 2-17,8-17, 11-17; DL 2016; DL 11-2015; DL-DL-Hotel 2-2015; DL 2014; DL-Paradise Pier 2013; POFQ Dec 2012; CSR - Jan 2011; AKL-Kidani - Jan 2010; A.S.Mov - Dec 2008; CSR - Dec 2006; DL Feb 2006; CBR - Feb 2004; POR - Jun 2002

Post Thanks / Like

Disneyland has been in existence for over 60 years. Because Walt practically built it with his own two hands (metaphorically speaking), the Company has always lavished a LOT of attention on the Mother Park. It's truly astounding how many attractions they have been able to CRAM into a relatively tiny park. And ... it works! It's incredibly charming. "Charming" is not a word I would use too often with WDW. It is spectacular in another way. And who knows, once it has been there 60 years (the year 2031!!!) it may have as many attractions as Disneyland.
    "I wanted something alive, something that could grow. Something I can keep plussing with ideas. You see? The park is that. Not only can I add things but even the trees will keep growing. The thing will get more beautiful every year."

Walt Disney

11. Thanks burrsace thanked for this post
    Likes burrsace liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I just went to DLR in November. I usually go to WDW. I am surprised by those numbers! I got through Disneyland much faster than I could get through Disney World. I wonder what gives. I guess shorter walk times must be a factor. But really there is so much more in WDW. I'm baffled.

But that being said I love them both. I would always go WDW regardless of geography because it has so much more to offer. But it definitely was cool seeing the "original." I would say to anyone on the east coast go to Disneyland if you have another reason to be in CA and make it a part of a more extensive trip.
    Linda

2010 - POFQ
    2012 - POP
    2013 - SWAN
    2014 - SWAN
    2015 - DLR (offsite)
    2016 - SWAN
    2017 - DLR (offsite)
    2018 - DOLPHIN
    2018 - Fall trip - in the planning process!!!!

13. Thanks Hammer thanked for this post
    Likes burrsace liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have to admit, the first time I visited DL I was an adult and had visited DW many many times previously. I was a little disappointed in DL but not exactly sure why. When I was a kid, we used to watch the Magical World of Disney and wanted to go to DL so bad.....but it never worked out. Having visited DW the first time in October '72, I've watched it grow as I've grown older. Now that my family is older, we still enjoy the Magic but through different lenses. Now, we stroll the parks and many times don't even go into an attraction, but we sure do enjoy the resorts, restaurants and watering holes. I don't know for sure, but I'm guessing DL's numbers there don't compare. I've only been to DL 3 times, but I guess the space is the biggest thing I enjoy. I would also have to say the 4 different parks all have separate "feels" and I/we enjoy that. Being AP's we spend about 30 days a year at the parks, and we get into our routines....BUT, the magic has never gone away. I'm looking forward to visiting Disney Paris in the next couple years too. Wonder how that compares?
    Gauis2001

Over 100 seperate visits since 1972!
    1st visit was before Space Mountain was built and we used ticket books to see attractions!

15. Likes Terra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

In my opinion, if you compare the Magic Kingdom to Disneyland, Disneyland wins by a large margin. Reasons being the Matterhorn, Indiana Jones, Pirates is much better, Space Mountain you sit by two's (some people prefer that), Mr. Toad, to name a few. But having visited Disney World for the first time in 2000 with over 20+ trips to DL under my belt at that time, there's a reason why I continue to cough up over $1000 in plane tickets to visit DW when I can just drive six hours to DL. DW is simply much more magical than DL.

When you're in DW, you just feel like you are away in another world (World vs. Land right?). I feel so immersed in Disney at DW, whereas at DL, it just seems like a day trip and nothing more. You don't really feel "Disney" as much, I'm sure due to the outside world literally just feet away.
    Disneyland 30+
    * 2000 (Jul) - Off-site * 2003 (Aug) - Contemporary * 2006 (Jul) - Fort Wilderness Cabins * 2009-10 (Dec-Jan) - Caribbean Beach * 2011 (Nov) - POP (13 days!!!) * 2013 (Jul) - Saratoga Springs * 2014 (Jul) Boardwalk Villas * 2015 (Jul) AKV/VWL * 2016 (Jul) OKW

DVC SSR > Mar-2013

17. Likes burrsace liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Having just returned from a trip to DL, I have some thoughts on this topic.

The compactness of DL is great for concentration of rides and attractions, but maddening when it comes to dealing with the crowds. DL doesn't seem to be able to absorb the crowds as well as any of the parks at WDW. California Adventure does seem to handle the crowds better, though it too has a number of "choke points" which make navigating through crowds exceptionally difficult. My wife and I and all the other adults in our group found the crowds to be a bit much, particularly on Main Street, Tomorrowland and in Frontierland (though that could be because of closures related to the SWL expansion).

That said, I absolutely know what we are getting into when it comes to a DL or a WDW vacation, crowds at some point are part of the deal. My experience is that crowds at DL can be stifling, whereas crowds at WDW (even in high season) are more manageable. I will caveat this with saying that we have never traveled to either during Christmas or Thanksgiving (only right after).

The other factor that puts WDW above DL for us is the immersion factor, you are clearly on vacation and in the bubble of Disney (particularly when staying on property) when at WDW. In my opinion, the intrusions of the outside world really seem to detract from the immersion factor at DL. Pulling up to Starbucks near the Anaheim Grove and seeing a Bellhop from the Hollywood Tower Hotel, takes a little something away from the experience for me.

The lack of Utilidors is apparent at DL as well, the intrusion of themed cast members in their themed costumes/uniforms into other "lands" is inevitable because of this, and it detracts.

Haunted Mansion is shorter at DL, with no interactive queue and it being my favorite ride, that is another knock. This is almost overcome by the Hatbox Ghost...almost, but not quite.

Pirates is superb at DL and is hands down, better than the WDW version (almost 2x as long in duration, 2 drops, the amazing cavern scene, all make it better). The storytelling clearly communicates that we are traveling, gradually, back in time to the time of Pirates. The talking skull, add to that the Blue Bayou restaurant and you have an amazing attraction far above the WDW cousin.

New Orleans Square is a very rich "land" in DL, so great and full of "authenticity". A similar space does not exist in MK in WDW.

The amount of large growth at DL is also something we appreciate, it appears to provide more shade and makes up for some of the lack of immersion.

CarsLand at CA is amazing, what a great addition to the parks, and of course unique. Bugs Land is great, but they took out It's Tough to be a Bug for a lame (IMO) Jungle Book sneak peak (that nobody seemed to be taking advantage of).

Love the theming of Grizzly Peak in CA, the River Rapids ride, Soarin', and the Challenge Trail all are excellent. IMO, the addition of Soarin' at Epcot was great, but it seems a bit out of place in the Land.

The proximity of the two parks at DL is also a big plus, park hopping is a breeze.

The food at DL is fantastic and noticably better than the offerings at WDW. There are a lot of little tiny locations that offer great niche items. The Mint Julep bar in New Orleans Square for Mickey beignets is our new fave!

We enjoyed the Princess breakfast at Ariel's Grotto in CA, but it pales in comparison to the experience at Cinderella's Royal Table in MK.

Splash Mountain is great at both parks IMO, a bit different, but both great.

WDW wins overall for me with the immersion factor, the much greater space in each park, the way it can absorb crowds much better, the variety of the experiences at the 4 parks plus the waterparks and the resorts. I am also one of the rare breed that really appreciates and prefers FP+.

All of that said, both WDW and DL/CA are amazing and I am very lucky to have been able to take my family to both.

I will probably always prefer WDW, but will never pass up an opportunity to pay a visit to the original. I just will avoid it on the weekends and stay away during school breaks (if possible).

JS
    3/89 WDW
    3/02 Day trip MK
    10/02 Honeymoon WL
    3/03 Day trip DLR
    10/03 1st Ann. ASMovies
    11/04-12/04 SSR
    9/05 Grand Calif
    7/06 WDW
    1/08 A Friend's Bachelor Party DLR
    8/09 DLR w/ newborn
    10/10 Princess' 1st trip to WDW
    6/14 Littlest Princess' 1st visit to WDW
    3/16 DLR
    9/19 WDW

Post Thanks / Like

I've talked about this many, many times with WDW. Outside of Magic Kingdom, which has by far the most legitimate attractions of any of Disney's Orlando parks, the other three parks are really a blatant ripoff in terms of number of attractions for your admission dollars.

By my count, Magic Kingdom has right around thirty attractions.

If you want to be honest about it, Epcot has like eleven legitimate attractions? Spaceship Earth, Test Track, Mission Space (being generous here), Soarin', Nemo (again generous), Ellen, Gran Fiesta Tour, the coming-soon Frozen ride, the two films, and American Adventure.

The Studios has six, which is pretty shocking when you stop to consider that. You're paying $100 for six attractions???

Animal Kingdom has eleven, too, which is counting some pretty weak stuff like the train to Conservation Station, etc.

So best case you're getting about 33% value for your money at the three newest parks when compared to MK. Worst case you're getting 20%.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

20. Likes MNNHFLTX liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The stats don't surprise me. I love Disneyland and the whole ambience there. Disney World, once such a special place to me, has become something of a soulless pit (or money pit), while Disneyland retains the heart of what I think a Disney theme park should be.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

Seems this thread has shifted a bit, to "Which of the 2 parks do you prefer." I agree 100% with Jack -- WDW has the immersion factor. The atmosphere inside the Disney bubble to me is more transporting. More magic. And we absolutely love visiting the deluxe resorts for a meal or just to hang out. No comparison. Jmho.
    "Good evening ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls. In just five minutes...."

Post Thanks / Like

Regardless of the hard numbers, been there, done that.........DisneyWorld over Disneyland any day, any time. Just my 2 cents.
    * 2003 - Beach Club
    * 2004 - Downtown Disney
    * 2004 - ASS
    * 2005 - ASS
    * 2006 - Disneyland
    * 2008 - CSR
    * 2009 - CSR
    * 2010 - Beach Club
    * 2012 - CSR - (2)
    * 2013 - POP
    * 2013 - ASM
    * 2014 - Pop (2)
    * 2015 - CSR
    * 2017 - POP
    * 2019 - POP
    * 2020 - POP
    * 2021 - POP

Post Thanks / Like

It really depends on what you consider an "attraction" to be. Haha, my kids consider riding the bus and monorail to be an "attraction"! I haven't been to DL but my dad always talks about how small it is. We want to go at some point, but WDW is so much closer, and I feel like for my kids the character meet and greets and the WDW train at MK and AK are some of the biggest attractions there are. That will probably change, I'm sure, but we basically spent a day at the MK last year riding the train multiple times b/c my son is obsessed with trains, and for him it couldn't get any better! Very interesting post!
    1980-2001 CR;CBR 2001 AKL 2002 AKL 2003 AKL 2004 AKL; CB; AKL 2007 WL 2008 AKL 9/09 AKL Jambo 12/10 AKL Kidani 9/11 AKL Kidani 9/12 AKL 12/12 AKL 5/13 AKL 12/13 SS 9/14 BLT 12/14 SS 2/15 Aulani DVC 7/15 CBR 10/15 Yacht Club 12/16 DS 7/17 Aulani 01/19 POR 08/19 Yacht Club

Post Thanks / Like

We are six hours away from DL. We love it and attend often. We consider it a weekender kind of trip. We get to WDW about every 2-3 years and consider it a full blown vacation. I think that both resorts have a very similar number of attractions. Some common, others unique. For us, it's the resorts and restaurants that set WDW apart from DL. We are DVC members with BWV as our home resort. The Grand Californian has a handful of villas, but, unless it is your home resort, they are nearly impossible to get within the 7-month booking window. We love the options at WDW!
    Tom

DLR '76, '81-2x, '85-2x, '01, '03, '04, '05-2x, '07-3x All off-site

DLR '02 PPH
    DLR '07, '13 GCH
    DLR '08, '12 DLH
    DLR '09, '10 GCV
    WDW '82 Royal Plaza
    WDW '98 ASMu
    WDW '06 POR
    WDW '08 POP
    WDW '08, '09, '11 BWV
    WDW '14 OKW, DCL, BLT

Post Thanks / Like

Wink

Although we enjoy the rides(attractions), WDW is so much more than that to us. We enjoy the amounts if restaurants; tonnes of places to snoop around in; the entertainment in all on-site resorts and parks; and just LOVE the fact that when I leave the parks to go back to my on-site resort - I have not lost one ounce of the magic since I don't walk out into the city as soon as I leave the gates.

We enjoy both coasts but WDW is definitely more magical to us.
    Shannon

~It's not the number of breaths you take, it's the moments that take your breath away~
    ~You should never take more than you give~ The Circle of Life

Post Thanks / Like

Also, in regards to pin-trading, there are many CMs that take part in pin-trading at WDW, including shops, resorts, cleaning crew, etc., while at DL, it feels as if pin-trading is forced upon the CMs. Pin-trading at DL does not feel the same and almost as if you are putting the CM out asking to look at pins. Added to that, the pins at DL all appear to be the same in circulation wherever you look.
    Disneyland 30+
    * 2000 (Jul) - Off-site * 2003 (Aug) - Contemporary * 2006 (Jul) - Fort Wilderness Cabins * 2009-10 (Dec-Jan) - Caribbean Beach * 2011 (Nov) - POP (13 days!!!) * 2013 (Jul) - Saratoga Springs * 2014 (Jul) Boardwalk Villas * 2015 (Jul) AKV/VWL * 2016 (Jul) OKW

DVC SSR > Mar-2013

Post Thanks / Like

I think my take on all of this is that at this point, I would really enjoy DL as much or not more than WDW. Really, the attractions are the heart of it for me, and at least at this point DL is a much richer environment in that department (at least per square inch). Don't get me wrong, I love WDW and I'm planning on taking the whole family back after everything opens (Avitar, Toy Story Land, Star Wars Land) but right now, I would choose DL. Also, since I'm a history nut (especially Disney) that makes DL even more exciting...

29. Thanks BrerGnat thanked for this post

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: