Quantcast Changes in Security Reportedly Headed to Disney Parks 12/17 - Page 4

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    Also confirming that they no longer sell anything that has a trigger. No more Star Wars blasters, Buzz Lightyear blasters, bubble guns, etc. Even the little blaster key chains have been pulled.
    I don't seem to be too bothered by the fact that they have additional security. I have not really thought too hard about it, but in the past thought it pretty ridiculous that my bag was being searched when persons with no bags were welcomed in. Never really made sense to me. What I do not understand is removing all toys with triggers. Am I missing something here?
    Carrie

CBR: 2/21-2/25/17
    POR: 6/4-6/11/16
    POFQ: 11/15-11/19/15
    8/28-9/1/14 -DL-Dumbo 19.3 C2C
    POR: 1/7-1/14/14 -Dopey 48.6
    POR: 6/11-6/17/13
    ASMu: 1/11-1/15/13 -1st Full 26.2
    ASMu: 9/22-9/28/11
    ASMu: 6/7-6/13/11
    Pop: 1/30-2/6/10
    Pop: 2/1-2/7/09
    Pop: 1/08
    ASMu: 05/06
    Off-site: 12/93

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cer View Post
    I don't seem to be too bothered by the fact that they have additional security. I have not really thought too hard about it, but in the past thought it pretty ridiculous that my bag was being searched when persons with no bags were welcomed in. Never really made sense to me. What I do not understand is removing all toys with triggers. Am I missing something here?
    Yep. You can make fully functional guns with a 3D printer out of plastic. Since the raw material comes in all sorts of colors, it is feasible for someone to make a gun that looks like a toy. This is becoming a big concern.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Yep. You can make fully functional guns with a 3D printer out of plastic. Since the raw material comes in all sorts of colors, it is feasible for someone to make a gun that looks like a toy. This is becoming a big concern.
    Thank you for the insight, Natalie. Makes sense now.
    Carrie

CBR: 2/21-2/25/17
    POR: 6/4-6/11/16
    POFQ: 11/15-11/19/15
    8/28-9/1/14 -DL-Dumbo 19.3 C2C
    POR: 1/7-1/14/14 -Dopey 48.6
    POR: 6/11-6/17/13
    ASMu: 1/11-1/15/13 -1st Full 26.2
    ASMu: 9/22-9/28/11
    ASMu: 6/7-6/13/11
    Pop: 1/30-2/6/10
    Pop: 2/1-2/7/09
    Pop: 1/08
    ASMu: 05/06
    Off-site: 12/93

Post Thanks / Like

I respect your opinion, but what is the use of getting all worked up?

Frankly, I am glad to see this stepped up security and don't live my life looking for things to be angry about.
    I don't think I am worked up, and I certainly do not spend my life looking for things to be angry about.

It's not our place to say whether it is necessary or not.
    About 75% of what we all talk/post about here on the boards is arm-chair Imagineering, whether we are calling the "no toy guns" absurd or we call the ADR system nuts, we can usually post those thoughts without concern that it "isn't our place".
    Disney Dream May 2019, WDW Dec 2019

18 Oct ASMv
    16 (APs) Jan POR, Feb CSR, April ASMv, June BC, Oct Pop & Cabins, Dec ASMv & AKL & Pop, Jan '17 POFQ (10k!)
    15 May Pop&CBR pirates
    13 Oct ASMu&AoA
    10 (APs) June CR, Oct AKL&Pop, Dec Pop
    07 March ASMv
    04 June POR
    94 June Onsite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheVBs View Post
    And if there's a tragedy at a park that could have been easily prevented by a metal detector or extra bag checks? If hundreds of people are injured/killed, would you really say that was okay as long as you had the freedom not to walk through a little extra security? I would never put myself getting out of joint about extra security over people's lives. Period.
    Personally, I don't really have a strong problem with the front of the park security being improved with detectors or scans, but I do believe outlawing plastic guns goes too far.

I do take offence to the suggestion that anyone who stands up and suggests that there is a line to be drawn on security in a society, and that line doesn't only have to be drawn by the most paranoid amongst us, has blood on their hands if something awful does happen. Despite more school shootings in history than I can count, I would imagine that most of our kids still go to a school which has no metal detectors, and that doesn't mean the school system's administrators are irrational or otherwise negligent for not greeting kids each day with the TSA.
    Disney Dream May 2019, WDW Dec 2019

18 Oct ASMv
    16 (APs) Jan POR, Feb CSR, April ASMv, June BC, Oct Pop & Cabins, Dec ASMv & AKL & Pop, Jan '17 POFQ (10k!)
    15 May Pop&CBR pirates
    13 Oct ASMu&AoA
    10 (APs) June CR, Oct AKL&Pop, Dec Pop
    07 March ASMv
    04 June POR
    94 June Onsite

7. Likes DisneyGiant liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyGiant View Post
    I don't think the terrorists want anything to do with WDW.
    You do know that WDW, Disneyland, and many other theme arks wer eon Al Qaeda's list of U.S. targets, right? Now, add that to ISIS, who is 1000 times crazier, and well....
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Post Thanks / Like

BTW, I just returned from a week in WDW... Just missed the metal detectors going into use, but I did notice a larger sheriff presence, will K9 units... And yes, there are reasons for it... And no, that does not mean there is a credible threat, currently, of an attack at WDW.. But, as I posted above, WDW is a known target... Always has been, always will be...
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

10. Likes VWL Mom liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

To the extent that the additional security makes guests "feel" safer, it is a good thing. However, there is no amount of security known that can be 100% effective. I think it may be best to put things into proper perspective regarding these terrorist idiots......If you consider our vast country and the corresponding populace, then factor in the number of terrorist "attacks", your chance of coming to harm is statistically nil. In fact, you would be more likely to be abducted by extra terrestrial aliens from the planet Altair 4 (wherever that may be). Fear not and never let your heart be troubled... I would be more concerned about scheduling Fast Pass+ to get thru the quick security checkpoints thereby avoiding the "standby" lines.....

12. Likes DizneyFreak2002, DisneyGiant liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Dad View Post
    In fact, you would be more likely to be abducted by extra terrestrial aliens from the planet Altair 4 (wherever that may be)
    Altair is the Alpha(or brightest) star in the constellation Aquila, so Altair 4 would be the 4th planet in that star's solar system.
    Dave aka: Altair
    "Even though they're graceful when swimmin', it's hard to believe sailors thought they were women" - Manatee area, the Living Seas

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Altair View Post
    Altair is the Alpha(or brightest) star in the constellation Aquila, so Altair 4 would be the 4th planet in that star's solar system.
    Good one Dave!

Post Thanks / Like

It's the elimination of the bubble guns that makes me feel the most safe. I mean, we all like bubbles but dear heavens THINK OF THE CHILDREN. We all know ISIS wants nothing more than to pop filmy substances on our clothing, temporarily staining our valuable theme park wear.

If they rebrand them as bubble blowers will they be kosher?
    "You used all the glue on purpose!"

16. Likes hubbyofadisneyholic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Goofy4TheWorld View Post
    Personally, I don't really have a strong problem with the front of the park security being improved with detectors or scans, but I do believe outlawing plastic guns goes too far.

I do take offence to the suggestion that anyone who stands up and suggests that there is a line to be drawn on security in a society, and that line doesn't only have to be drawn by the most paranoid amongst us, has blood on their hands if something awful does happen. Despite more school shootings in history than I can count, I would imagine that most of our kids still go to a school which has no metal detectors, and that doesn't mean the school system's administrators are irrational or otherwise negligent for not greeting kids each day with the TSA.
    I agree that a line has to be drawn. WDW hasn't crossed the line with the extra security (okay, maybe except for the removal of bubble blasters, but if they're willing to lose out on the merchandise sales, I'm sure they have a good reason).

And, agree with you 100% that students shouldn't go through TSA style security to get into school. The fix for that problem has to be elsewhere and I hope it will be soon.
    Susanne

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mendelson View Post
    It's the elimination of the bubble guns that makes me feel the most safe. I mean, we all like bubbles but dear heavens THINK OF THE CHILDREN. We all know ISIS wants nothing more than to pop filmy substances on our clothing, temporarily staining our valuable theme park wear.

If they rebrand them as bubble blowers will they be kosher?
    You are so funny! Thanks for giving me a laugh this morning.
    Susanne

19. Likes Mendelson liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Went to see Trans Siberian Orchestra in Hershey, PA Friday evening and, for the first time, had to be scanned before entering the Giant Center. They had a number of walk-thru metal detectors and a few wand-style scanners in operation and they did not seem to slow entry into the facility.

If Disney puts enough of these metal detectors in place - one for each bag check lane - it should not slow down the entry lines too much. By the time your bag is checked, you should already be through the scanner, get your bag back and proceed to the turnstyles. It might slow down those without bags, but is that really THAT big of a deal? (This is from someone who never has a bag with him.)
    -Bud

Walt Disney World:
    9/03 - CBR
    1/09 - BWV
    9/05; 2/07; 12/07; 9/08; 9/09; 9/10; 9/11; 12/13; 12/17; 4/18; 10/18, 4/23 - PC
    5/15 - POR
    1/22 - ASMO
    10/22 - ASMU

Disneyland: 12/15 - Paradise Pier Hotel

Next up: ???

Post Thanks / Like

So children are not allowed to bring the bubble guns into the parks anymore at all?
    Tara

"It's a Small World after all..."

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: