Quantcast Changes in Security Reportedly Headed to Disney Parks 12/17 - Page 3

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

I have no problem with this. I would be fine with the x-rays to be honest. Part of what we have always loved about DW is feeling safe there. We were there over the Paris attacks too. I know this does not guarantee total security, but it is a big step and I do not think there is any way to guarantee safety any place. I think this is just our new reality and we have to get used to it.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

So, looking at the pictures posted (Hat tip to WDWMagic.com) - it appears that it's just random screening for now - http://www.wdwmagic.com/attractions/...licy/26230.htm

Honestly, that doesn't make me fee ANY safer. Maybe it's just that way till they can roll it out further.

Also, looks like 3rd party security operating the devices which makes sense given the quick rollout - and finally, I can't tell whether they have eliminated the guest with no bags line. That needs to happen and all guests need to go thru metal detectors in my opinion. If you are going to do it, do it right.

We'll see how this plays out in the coming weeks and months.
    John - aka. The Master Control Program
    Owner, Chairman & Chief Imagination Officer - INTERCOT

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    So, looking at the pictures posted (Hat tip to WDWMagic.com) - it appears that it's just random screening for now - http://www.wdwmagic.com/attractions/...licy/26230.htm

Honestly, that doesn't make me fee ANY safer. Maybe it's just that way till they can roll it out further.

Also, looks like 3rd party security operating the devices which makes sense given the quick rollout - and finally, I can't tell whether they have eliminated the guest with no bags line. That needs to happen and all guests need to go thru metal detectors in my opinion. If you are going to do it, do it right.

I'm going to venture a guess that the metal detector line will be the "no bags" line. If they are going to continue bag searches as before, this is what makes the most sense.

The articles did say that "only select guests" will pass through the detectors.

Without being accused of profiling, the only way to do this is to make all guests without bags go through them.

Although Disneyland doesn't have a "no bags" line so who knows?
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

I just watched a Periscope from the Magic Kingdom and that is what the person shooting was showing also. She was at the Magic Kingdom. They had two metal detectors setup on each side. A third party company was randomly scanning people. Maybe this is just in the beginning, and they will increase them.

Edit: I now see pictures of the metal detectors in place at Disneyland in California.
    Chris °O°
    DISNEYLAND AP - First visit 1969

WALT DISNEY WORLD - First visit 1985
    HONG KONG DISNEYLAND - First visit 2005
    SHANGHAI DISNEYLAND - First visit 2016
    DISNEY DREAM CRUISE - First Cruise March 2019
    FUTURE + WORLD SHOWCASE = EPCOT (Favorite WDW park)

Post Thanks / Like

Also, looks like 3rd party security operating the devices
    And she looks as magical as a TSA agent.
    "You used all the glue on purpose!"

7. Likes John liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Just went through security at Disneyland. For the most part, they are targeting people without bags and people with large bags. The metal detectors are set up INSIDE the bag check area. People are pulled after passing through. There was no line at bag check.

The company providing the searches is CSC. They are wearing bright yellow "Event Staff" jackets. Seems to be going very smoothly.

People with no bags are being asked to unzip jackets and empty their pockets into small plastic bowls before being sent through the detectors.

There is also a detector at the Disneyland monorail station at Downtown Disney.

Worth noting, all the exterior exits at the AMC theater at Downtown Disney Disneyland have a security guard posted outside. This is something I have never seen.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

Also confirming that they no longer sell anything that has a trigger. No more Star Wars blasters, Buzz Lightyear blasters, bubble guns, etc. Even the little blaster key chains have been pulled.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

Metal detectors also set up outside AMC Theater in Downtown Disney at Disneyland. There were 6 of them set up. Looks like they are going to scan everyone going inside the theater today.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

I am against this extra security, it is un-American. Says you are guilty until proven innocent. Violating fourth and fifth amendments. Pure paranoia.
    PETE FROM NYC
    DISNEY NUT SINCE THE 1950s.
    I AM POOH SIZED AND PROUD OF IT.
    FORGET ABOUT THAT OTHER FAT GUY ON TV.
    I AM THE REAL KING OF QUEENS
    TWELVE TRIPS FROM 1975 - 2007 all by plane
    Drove down 2009,2010,2012,2014.
    DVC since 9/09. We own at BLT.
    Next trip: 11/1 to 11/12. BLT

12. Likes hubbyofadisneyholic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Whatever caused this reaction goes well beyond Disney. All the major parks did this on the same day which suggests that they were all alerted about something that isn't being shared with the public and likely was reasonably reliable.
    26 years staying at the Polynesian
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of everyday...
    Twenty six straight years staying at the Polynesian
    Next trip: October 2018

14. Thanks Kerry823, Hammer thanked for this post
    Likes waymickey liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PETE FROM NYC View Post
    I am against this extra security, it is un-American. Says you are guilty until proven innocent. Violating fourth and fifth amendments. Pure paranoia.
    So Pete, my guess is you think we shouldn't have security at the airports or at major league sporting events either then correct?

I get the argument on both sides and I'm honestly not sure where I stand on the issue - just wondering. If I really thought stuff like this was indeed making us safer, I am for it - but think that random screening without sending everyone thru some sort of detection is fairly useless and the bag checks aren't great given multiple compartments etc that can hide things.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Polynesian Dweller View Post
    Whatever caused this reaction goes well beyond Disney. All the major parks did this on the same day which suggests that they were all alerted about something that isn't being shared with the public and likely was reasonably reliable.
    Does make you wonder when it's this coordinated....

Post Thanks / Like

Does make you wonder when it's this coordinated....
    Word is, DHS (Dept Homeland Security) gave the theme park industry "a strong suggestion" to implement these measures. This is why you are seeing such a coordinated roll out.
    Natalie

18. Thanks waymickey thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I can't believe that I am reading this thread, I almost teared up at the absurdity of this entire day's update. It is all so ridiculous, and yet me and Pete seem to be the only ones in firm opposition.

And if metal detectors and body scans at Disney doesn't shock you, surely John posting a WDWmagic link will!

This whole thread comes from Bizarro World, and I'm stunned at the sense of inevitability that most have posted.

20. Likes WDWdriver, hubbyofadisneyholic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Goofy4TheWorld View Post
    I can't believe that I am reading this thread, I almost teared up at the absurdity of this entire day's update. It is all so ridiculous, and yet me and Pete seem to be the only ones in firm opposition.

And if metal detectors and body scans at Disney doesn't shock you, surely John posting a WDWmagic link will!

This whole thread comes from Bizarro World, and I'm stunned at the sense of inevitability that most have posted.
    I respect your opinion, but what is the use of getting all worked up?

Honestly, this is the world we live in now, like it or not. Disney and every other theme park is private property and has an obligation to ensure the highest level of guest safety it can provide.

There are no body scans. Simple metal detectors.

Disney consults very regularly with the Department of Homeland Security, local law enforcement, their insurers, lawyers, etc. They have chosen to go this route for now based on information that you nor I is privvy to. It's not our place to say whether it is necessary or not.

This is, simply, about trying to keep large gatherings of people safe on private property. It has nothing to do with anyone's rights or freedoms. Disney could enact a rule forcing everyone to dress in purple shirts and green shoes if they wanted to. It is their park. Their rules. Don't like it? Don't go.

Frankly, I am glad to see this stepped up security and don't live my life looking for things to be angry about.
    Natalie

22. Likes WDWdriver, Hammer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

he who sacrifices freedom for security, deserves neither. I believe words to that effect come from Thomas Jefferson.
    PETE FROM NYC
    DISNEY NUT SINCE THE 1950s.
    I AM POOH SIZED AND PROUD OF IT.
    FORGET ABOUT THAT OTHER FAT GUY ON TV.
    I AM THE REAL KING OF QUEENS
    TWELVE TRIPS FROM 1975 - 2007 all by plane
    Drove down 2009,2010,2012,2014.
    DVC since 9/09. We own at BLT.
    Next trip: 11/1 to 11/12. BLT

24. Likes DisneyGiant liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

And if there's a tragedy at a park that could have been easily prevented by a metal detector or extra bag checks? If hundreds of people are injured/killed, would you really say that was okay as long as you had the freedom not to walk through a little extra security? I would never put myself getting out of joint about extra security over people's lives. Period.
    Susanne

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PETE FROM NYC View Post
    he who sacrifices freedom for security, deserves neither. I believe words to that effect come from Thomas Jefferson.
    I have seen this quote posted more times than I care to count. It does not apply to this situation. Quotes taken out of context are meaningless.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

Another thing is that Disney has an obligation to its thousands of park employees to provide a safe working place. This is as much about protecting them as the guests.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

So DD is a CM at AK and there have a few incidents this past week involving weapons and or attacks on Disney grounds. It is happening more and more and Disney has been trying to keep guests and staff safe. While it is a sad sign of our society it is reality.

The incident involving weapons were from guests with out bags. One included someone jumping a fence to avoid security.
    Disney Cruise 2017
    AKL 2016
    PORR 2015
    Beach Club 2013
    POP Century August 2011
    Disney Cruise Dream 2011
    Cruise Disney Wonder 2006
    Wilderness Lodge, 04, 06, 08, 10
    Allstar Movies 02
    Allstar Sports 96. 98, 00
    Offsite 2015 x2, 90,89, 85

Share This Thread On Social Media: