Quantcast Disneyland Park ?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Disneyland Park ?

I am trying to somewhat plan our first park day at Disneyland. I have a few questions that I am sure some of you can help with.

The scheduled park hours for this day are 8am - 12am, with EMH 7am-8am.

My first questions is about nighttime entertainment. I am wondering if we will be able to do Paint the Night, Disneyland Forever, and Fantasmic all in one night. Below is my plan, please tell me if it's doable or if I am out of my mind! LOL.

Paint the Night: 8:45pm
    Disneyland Forever: 9:30pm
    Fantasmic: 10:45 pm

We will have another 1/2 day in Disneyland. Would it be better to do one of these on another night?

Also, dining is showing no available times for the Fantasmic dinner package. Is this normal? We are going first week in Jan. so I was thinking it wouldn't be packed. I was quite surprised to see that I couldn't book a dinner package.

Ok, next question. I see a few shows listed. Are these worthwhile? We have almost 16 and 14 year old boys.
    Jedi Training: Trials of the Temple
    Mickey and the Magical Map
    Storytelling at Royal Theater

Just a note that we do not have any interest in the Jedi Training at Hollywood Studios. If this is the same deal at Disneyland we can skip it. We typically enjoy shows like Beauty and the Beast and Lion King at WDW, but usually skip stuff like Storytime with Belle and similar "shows".

Edit to add: If "A Christmas Fantasy Parade" has showings at 2:00 and 4:30, is one better than the other to attend? We plan to just wing it on this one, but if there is an advantage to one time or another I would like to know.

Thanks!!!
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Trying to do 3 shows in one night is a bit much. I would do Paint the Night and Fireworks on one night, and then do Fantasmic on another night. I DO highly recommend Fantasmic, BUT since you have probably seen it at WDW, it won't be the end of the world if you have to miss it at Disneyland. Also, the fireworks get cancelled fairly often due to high upper level winds, so it would be wise to have two nights at Disneyland in case you miss the fireworks the first time. I would do the parade and fireworks on your first night in the park so if the fireworks get cancelled, you can try again.

I always recommend the latest Fantasmic showing. You WILL need a Fastpass to get into the viewing area. There is a TINY standby viewing area, but you don't want to do that to yourselves.

The area for reserved seating for the dining packages is really small, so I'm not surprised it is full. It is normally booked up pretty far in advance. They are going to be changing it next year to make it a larger area but not before you arrive.

With kids your son's ages, you can skip all three of those shows. They are primarily for very young kids. We don't even watch them, and my kids are only 9 and 11. The Mickey one is cool, but it's long, about 20 minutes. I would not waste time watching it since this is your first time at Disneyland. There are better things to do. The Jedi thing is the same thing they do at WDW...it's for little kids.

The Christmas Fantasy parade will be less crowded at a 2pm showing during the week. By 4:30, locals will have arrived (after school) for the evening and it will be more crowded. On a weekend, the earlier show will be more crowded. The first parade begins at Small World Plaza and ends on Main Street. It won't be at Main Street until close to 2:20. The second parade begins on Main Street and heads towards Small World. I recommend viewing the parade from the area closer to Small World...it is always less crowded and the area is large so you don't feel like a sardine in a can. Stand on the Matterhorn side, close to the little gift shop there. Best spot.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Well. I'm an old lady and always make a point to see the shows at the Royal Theater and the Magical Lamp.
    ¨¨*:•

"Here You Leave Today and Enter the World of Yesterday, Tomorrow and Fantasy!"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Carol View Post
    Well. I'm an old lady and always make a point to see the shows at the Royal Theater and the Magical Lamp.
    LOL! But would your 16 and 14 year old sons watch them with you?

It is hard to recommend watching these shows to someone on their first visit to Disneyland who has only one full day.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

I'll see what we can watch the first night and play the last night by ear.

Our plan is to do a full day at Disneyland Park first. Then a full day at California Adventure. Then a third day split between the two parks. Should we begin in CA and end in DL on that last day?

We have the three day military tickets. Do you think this is enough? I guess we can always purchase a one day ticket if we feel we need more time in the parks.

We will definitely skip those shows. Those aren't shows we'd normally take the time to see in WDW. Maybe when the kids were younger, but not now.
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Post Thanks / Like

Three days should be good. I would not plan your last night until you have had a chance to experience both parks. You never know what you will want to experience more of. I prefer DL at night because almost everything in Paradise Pier at DCA shuts down for WoC.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

I might also recommend hopping on all three days. It's VERY easy and a good way to maximize Fast pass since you can hold them at both parks simultaneously. It takes literally 2 minutes to walk from one park to the other.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    I might also recommend hopping on all three days. It's VERY easy and a good way to maximize Fast pass since you can hold them at both parks simultaneously. It takes literally 2 minutes to walk from one park to the other.
    I keep forgetting that! We hop back and forth at Universal like it's nothing. Hopping in WDW is completely different. But I forget that DL is so much smaller, and easier, than WDW.
    Denise

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by buzznwoodysmom View Post
    I keep forgetting that! We hop back and forth at Universal like it's nothing. Hopping in WDW is completely different. But I forget that DL is so much smaller, and easier, than WDW.
    It's even easier than at Universal. The distance is about 100 yards, at most.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    This. It's so convenient and makes it easier to enjoy the parks when they are closer together and you can come and go as you please.

For your third day, look at the park calendar and start in the one that does not have early entry for hotel guests. Just like at WDW, that park gets very crowded in the morning. Be at opening for the non-early entry park, and then hop later.
    ~Nikki~
    Last Trip: February 2024
    Next Trips: April 2024

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BriarRose0708 View Post
    This. It's so convenient and makes it easier to enjoy the parks when they are closer together and you can come and go as you please.

For your third day, look at the park calendar and start in the one that does not have early entry for hotel guests. Just like at WDW, that park gets very crowded in the morning. Be at opening for the non-early entry park, and then hop later.
    YES! Early Entry at the Disneyland parks is insanity!!!
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by buzznwoodysmom View Post

Paint the Night: 8:45pm
    Disneyland Forever: 9:30pm
    Fantasmic: 10:45 pm

Thanks!!!
    This can easily be done, and I have done it many times ... Especially when hosting guests who have limited time. I actually prefer to see the later Fantasmic if you have the choice between an earlier and later one.

I would actually reverse the WDW vs Disneyland Fantasmic. If you have seen the one at Disneyland, you won't miss anything at Disney Studios. Disneyland's Fantasmic is a much better show.

Since Paint the Night is still very popular the hardest part of doing this is just getting the spot for the parade. Unfortunately you have to do it early. I would find a place close to Main Street center, but not necessarily next to the buildings, (Behind the hub works too) as long as you're close enough to move between the buildings after the parade, since the projections are a big part of Disneyland Forever.

I have watched fireworks from Main Street several times, and had great center seats for the later Fantasmic show. You do need to bear through the crowds going through Frontierland to get to Fantasmic, but as long as you head that way right after the fireworks, you should be fine. You will also need to get a Fast Pass for Fantasmic for the later show. They won't hand those out till they have finished all the ones for the first show, so you might have to keep checking.
    Chris °O°
    DISNEYLAND AP - First visit 1969

WALT DISNEY WORLD - First visit 1985
    HONG KONG DISNEYLAND - First visit 2005
    SHANGHAI DISNEYLAND - First visit 2016
    DISNEY DREAM CRUISE - First Cruise March 2019
    FUTURE + WORLD SHOWCASE = EPCOT (Favorite WDW park)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 2Epcot View Post

I would actually reverse the WDW vs Disneyland Fantasmic. If you have seen the one at Disneyland, you won't miss anything at Disney Studios. Disneyland's Fantasmic is a much better show.
    I agree. DHS's Fantasmic is shown in an arena, while Disneyland's Fantasmic is up close and personal on the Rivers of America. A completely different experience. The first time I saw it I was like, "wow"!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MNNHFLTX View Post
    I agree. DHS's Fantasmic is shown in an arena, while Disneyland's Fantasmic is up close and personal on the Rivers of America. A completely different experience. The first time I saw it I was like, "wow"!
    I agree that DL Fantasmic is WAY better than WDWs. I guess I feel like Paint the Night and Disneyland Forever fireworks are the current "premium" nighttime shows at the DLR (along with World of Color) and with limited time to see everything, it would not be tragic to miss Fantasmic, if the other 3 shows are watched. Those three, in my opinion, should take priority for a first time Disneyland visitor who has been to WDW many times.
    Natalie

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: