Quantcast Hawaii...Oahu or Maui? Anyone care to weigh in?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hawaii...Oahu or Maui? Anyone care to weigh in?

Looking to do a short 4 night Hawaii getaway for our 15th anniversary next summer, just me and my husband.

Trying to decide between Oahu and Maui. Which is better? Not looking to be super active, just want a nice beach, snorkeling, kayaking/canoeing would be cool. Not really interested in sightseeing so much but this will be my first time in Hawaii. Planning to go back in 2017 with the kids to stay at Aulani.

Any advice would be helpful. Hotel recommendations welcome.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Maui for sure. Oahu is very much "anywhere hot in the US" in my opinion. Maui is a little more of an escape. If it were just me and my husband for just a few days, I would definitely go to Maui.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey'sGirl View Post
    Maui for sure. Oahu is very much "anywhere hot in the US" in my opinion. Maui is a little more of an escape. If it were just me and my husband for just a few days, I would definitely go to Maui.
    Thanks. This was my thinking too, and then my husband started in with "I want to go to Pearl Harbor..."

I told him we will go there when we go back with the kids to Aulani.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

Our last few trips to Hawaii have included several days on Oahu followed by a longer stay on Maui. Like Mickey'sGirl said, Oahu is a much more happening place. Waikiki Beach is very much a party place. It has a terrific and fun vibe but if, what you really want is a place that's more laid back and relaxed, Maui better fits the bill.
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by faline View Post
    Our last few trips to Hawaii have included several days on Oahu followed by a longer stay on Maui. Like Mickey'sGirl said, Oahu is a much more happening place. Waikiki Beach is very much a party place. It has a terrific and fun vibe but if, what you really want is a place that's more laid back and relaxed, Maui better fits the bill.
    The one time my husband went to Hawaii, he went to Waikiki. It was shore leave during his first ship deployment. He basically didn't think it was anything special at all. If we did Oahu, we'd stay at the Four Seasons at Ko Olina next door to Aulani. They are running a special for next summer that makes it very reasonable compared to most resorts on Maui. We would do a trip to Pearl Harbor, but would otherwise enjoy the resort/beach on the quiet side of the island.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

Ko Olina is a very quiet corner of the island. However, we did find heavier traffic to and from this area than when we stayed in Waikiki - I think it was because we were going WITH the traffic instead of against the traffic.
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Every time we have gone to Hawaii it has been to visit family so we have stayed on Oahu, where they live. Although we have visited many places in the Honolulu/Waikiki area - Pearl Harbor, Diamond Head, and such, we usually stayed on the Windward Side of the island with the family. Not so touristy but it has become more populated over the past 35 years. The last few times we visited Oahu we stayed on the North Shore. We found it very relaxing and quite.

However, for the type of trip you are looking for I'd go along with the others and say Maui. Although I've never been there myself everyone I know that stayed there have enjoyed the type of days (relaxing beach atmosphere) that you seem to be looking for.
    Linda aka tinkwest
    INTERCOT Staff ~ Disneyland Resort

Come On Everybody - Here We Go!!

“To all who come to this happy place: Welcome. ...”

Support our INTERCOT Sponsors!

Post Thanks / Like

Based on what you said you are looking for, I would say Maui is more of what you want. I haven't been to either, but my sister has been to Maui many times for work as the planner for corporate incentive trips. Her assessment is Maui is great if you are looking to go and just relax on a beach, but it got a little boring after a few days because of the lack of activities and nightlife.

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    The one time my husband went to Hawaii, he went to Waikiki. It was shore leave during his first ship deployment. He basically didn't think it was anything special at all. If we did Oahu, we'd stay at the Four Seasons at Ko Olina next door to Aulani. They are running a special for next summer that makes it very reasonable compared to most resorts on Maui. We would do a trip to Pearl Harbor, but would otherwise enjoy the resort/beach on the quiet side of the island.
    Are they not running the same special at the Four Seasons on Maui? My sister has stayed there a few times and she says it is fantastic!
    Christine ºoº

Intercot Staff-Accommodations, Dining, Guests with Special Needs

Please support Intercot's Sponsors

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
    Are they not running the same special at the Four Seasons on Maui? My sister has stayed there a few times and she says it is fantastic!
    Unfortunately, no. The Ko Olina location has its grand reopening in spring 2016, after being converted from a JW Marriott. I think they are trying to get bookings so they are offering the 4th night free promotion. Brings the price down to $445/night. The lowest priced room at Four Seasons Maui is $799/night...
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    Unfortunately, no. The Ko Olina location has its grand reopening in spring 2016, after being converted from a JW Marriott. I think they are trying to get bookings so they are offering the 4th night free promotion. Brings the price down to $445/night. The lowest priced room at Four Seasons Maui is $799/night...
    Yowza! My sister has gotten to stay there, but she wasn't paying for it ! Guess we'll be sticking to staying at Aulani on our DVC points, unless she gets a meeting that insists she attends (she is now the director, so she doesn't travel to the actual events as much anymore). That's how I got to go to Paris last year.
    Christine ºoº

Intercot Staff-Accommodations, Dining, Guests with Special Needs

Please support Intercot's Sponsors

Post Thanks / Like

Nat,
    If you are already staying at Aulani, go to Oahu. I only spent 2 days there, on our honeymoon, we did a week in Maui and 5 days on the big island, but in Oahu there was a lot to see and do. I think every single American should visit the Arizona once in their life. I enjoyed Oahu, and if I go back would like to spend more time there. All the islands are amazing though... Can't go wrong.
    Julie
    Next Up:

Summer 2018... WE ARE BACK!!!
    2 families
    4 teenagers and Larry
    Taking on the parks!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: