Quantcast Soarin to Close for Refurbishment

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Default Soarin to Close for Refurbishment

The Walt Disney World website is confirming that Soarin’ will be closed beginning January 4th, 2016 to change into “Soarin’ Around the World” and to add a third screen. It is scheduled to reopen in early May. I don't think that the new Frozen ride is scheduled to open until May as well. This is really going to decrease a lot of attraction options at Epcot. I imagine Fast Passes for Test Track will be a hot item.
    80&89 Off-site, HONEYMOON 97 Port Orleans, '02 & '03 Offsite, '04 Poly Concierge, '05 Poly,'07 Contemporary, Feb. 08 GF, Dec. '08 Poly, May '10 Offsite, Mar.'11 FW Cabin,May '12 and July'12 Wyndham Bonnet Creek,July'13 Windsor Hills, March '14 AofA, Fourth of July '14 Poly,June 2015 SSR

Post Thanks / Like

We visit on May 21-28. I really hope the new movie is open by then.
    30+ trips; DCV owner at Beach Club Villas; 4 Disney cruises; 2 trips to Disneyland

Post Thanks / Like

And again, WDW waits until they have attracted enough people in January for marathon weekend to make money and THEN they announce the closure of a headliner or two.

4. Likes John liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RunDMV View Post
    And again, WDW waits until they have attracted enough people in January for marathon weekend to make money and THEN they announce the closure of a headliner or two.
    Oh, I don't think people will have skipped the marathon because Soarin' will be closed. We've known that this was going to happen for a while. If they were really only concerned about the bottom line, then they wouldn't be closing the ride during the summer.
    2002 - 2022: 20+ visits (POR, BW, All Stars, VWL, CSR, BLT, BC, SSR, CB, Dolphin, OKW, Poly, offsite x8)
    DL - 1996, 2019
    Next up - January 2023 short trip! We just want to try that 50th Anniversary chocolate monstrosity at Mexico!

Post Thanks / Like

so bummed about this
    94' All-Star Sports
    96' Dixie Landings
    00' Coronado Springs
    02' All-Star Movies
    03' Grand Californian & Disneyland Hotel
    04' Beach Club
    05' DCP
    05'-08' CM
    11' All Star Movies
    16' Animal Kingdom Lodge
    18' Hilton Head Island Resort
    19' Boardwalk (our toddler twins' first visit)

7. Likes John liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I can understand why this would disappoint some folks visiting WDW on Marathon weekend. But, of course, the ride has needed refurbishment for a long time. When I rode it a couple of weeks ago (the first time in several years) that annoying "flaw" in the footage--call it lint, for lack of a better description--stuck out like a sore thumb. Even the couple next to me commented on it, and it was their first time on the ride.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MNNHFLTX View Post
    I can understand why this would disappoint some folks visiting WDW on Marathon weekend. But, of course, the ride has needed refurbishment for a long time. When I rode it a couple of weeks ago (the first time in several years) that annoying "flaw" in the footage--call it lint, for lack of a better description--stuck out like a sore thumb. Even the couple next to me commented on it, and it was their first time on the ride.
    Does make you wonder though whether they could have completed the new theatres first - then took the old ones down for refurb. Seems like that might have made more sense given the popularity of the ride but maybe there is some logistic reason they couldn't do that.
    John - aka. The Master Control Program
    Owner, Chairman & Chief Imagination Officer - INTERCOT

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Does make you wonder though whether they could have completed the new theatres first - then took the old ones down for refurb. Seems like that might have made more sense given the popularity of the ride but maybe there is some logistic reason they couldn't do that.
    They probably want to get all three theaters up and running at the same time for the premiere of the new film--goodness knows, as popular as it has been, it will be even more popular with the new footage.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    That plus the fact that it leaves only other draw in the park, Test Track. That is at least until Frozen opens later this year. Let's hope they don't close too much too quick at DHS or WDW will be down to the equivalent of two to two and a half parks until they get everything back on board.
    Beth & David

09/82 Treehouse Villas, 06/86 BVP, 10/95 CBR, 10/99 DI, 08/03 PORS, 10/05 POP, 11/06 AKL, 09/09 POLY, 10/10 Wonder, 05/11 Dream/PORS, 08/13 POLY, 11/13 GF, 04/15 POLY, 11/15 BLT, 11/16 Aulani, 03/17 BLT, 08/18 BLT, 07/19 AKL, 06/21 BLT

Post Thanks / Like

So bummed that we will not be able to enjoy one of fav rides during our April trip
    Off Site 1988 (Senior Trip)
    Off Site Site 2002 (First Family Trip)
    Disney Wonder 2004
    Port Orleans Riverside Nov. 2006
    French Quarter Aug. 2011
    Caribbean Beach Resort April 2016

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I guess TestTrack FP will be completely booked for 6-7 months then.
    ===================

2016 POR
    2015 CS
    2014 WDW-Offsite
    2014 Disneyland-offsite
    2014 CBR
    2013 Dolphin
    2012 POR
    2012 WDW-Offsite
    2011 ASMusic, POR

1998 Dixie Landings
    1990's, Dixie Landings, Misc Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for that heads-up. We'll be there in March, so we'll be sure to use our Fast Passes for Test Trak instead.
    EJ in Houston

3-16 -- Port Orleans Riverside
    11-12 -- Pop Century
    11-11 -- Animal Kingdom Lodge
    11-09 -- All-Star Sports
    11-07 -- All-Star Sports
    11-05 -- All-Star Sports
    09-95 -- Off Property
    3 prior visits as a child beginning in '72 -- Polynesian/Contemporary Resorts

Post Thanks / Like

Our next trip is scheduled for the end of May first of June... First trip with the parents / grandparents and we REALLY wanted them to be able to experience Soarin.... Man I hope they stay on schedule with this rehab.
    Already completely bummed out that once again WL is having major construction going on during our stay and the new villas will be complete eye sores obstructing the views of the lake and why it used to be called "WILDERNESS LODGE" not Development lodge - Grrrr
    Oh well enough of that soap box.
    Feb 2020 - FWC
    Jul 2019 - Poly
    2018 - WL - CL
    2017 - FWC
    2016 - WL

2012 - WL - CL
    2010 - WL
    2009 - WL
    2007 - WL
    2003 - WL
    2001 - FWC
    1974, 77, 83 & 1995 - Off site

Post Thanks / Like

Don't get me wrong...I love Soarin'...reminds me of time at Monterey, and visits to just about all the locations in the film...But...Soarin' is just one of many, many attractions at Disney...and because it is in so much demand, most of us only experience it once or twice a visit, even with Fast Pass...And on almost each of our many trips over the years, we have missed at least one favorite, but still enjoyed each and every trip. So it's closed for one or two visits...Surely Disney pros can think of something else to do during the one or two gaps in their schedules!
    Next Visit-June 2013

75,80,81,82,99,02,03,05 CR
    83,85 FW (Cabins)
    84 Poly
    96, 04, 06, 07, 08, 10, 11 SoG
    99 WL
    2000 (Christmas) DL (POR)

Post Thanks / Like

The only other draw in park? I could spend two days just in world showcase. The land, spaceship earth, living seas are all above test track on my list.
    12/1987 Off site
    12/2000 All star movies
    7/2001 Coronado springs
    7/2001 Animal kingdom lodge
    12/2001 All star music
    7/2003 Port Orleans
    7/2003 All star sports
    7/2004 Pop Century
    7/2010 All star movies
    7/2011 Pop Century
    3/2013 Pop Century
    4/2013 All star movies

18. Thanks deedee73, WiltonJohn thanked for this post
    Likes deedee73, WiltonJohn liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mechanic View Post
    The only other draw in park? I could spend two days just in world showcase. The land, spaceship earth, living seas are all above test track on my list.
    This!
    Paging Mr. Morrow, Mr. Tom Morrow. Your party from Saturn has arrived. Please give them a ring!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mechanic View Post
    Ditto.

best,

...............john

DVC Member 2016 AKL
    After: October 2019 F+W Fest <Jambo>
    Next: March 2019 Flower and Garden Fest <Jambo>
    Last: August 2018 <Kidani>
    October 2017 F+W Fest <Kidani>
    Also: 1988, 1990, 1992, 1997, 2010, 2012, 2015, 2016
    Disneyland - 1972

Post Thanks / Like

The spring also has the Flower and Garden Festival which is one of my favorite times at EPCOT. It seems they would really be talking that up to maintain the levels but as of yet, I have not seen a schedule of events or Garden Rocks concerts. It has been complete silence since the announcement that they will extend it longer this year. Not sure what the issue is but previous years had far more information available before now.

Post Thanks / Like

I am so glad that this is finally taking place. Epcot has been passed over quite a bit with New Fantasyland, Disney Springs, and the huge announcement for the Studios. Hopefully this is the start of many upgrades/returns for this park.
    Apr 87 - Offsite
    Mar 92 - Offsite
    Jul 99 - Offsite
    Aug 99 - Fort Wilderness Cabin
    Jul 03 - ASMu
    Aug 05 - Pop Century
    May 07 - ASSp
    Aug 08 - Poly/ASMu
    Mar 09 - Pop
    Sept 10 - Pop
    Oct-Nov 11 - Pop
    Nov 13 - Wyndham Bonnet Creek