Quantcast Muppet TV Show a disaster? - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile Not Impressed...

Watched the first two episodes & was not impressed at all. Looks like they're trying to go "mainstream" with the humor, relying on the standard unfunny sitcom setups & conflicts. Yawn.

The reason we Muppets fans ARE fans is because the writers, creators, et al DID'NT sink to that level! Gimme those totally absurd situations, gimme those wacky production numbers, gimme Pigs In Space! That's the stuff that made me tune in week after week with the old show! I think unless they start injecting some of that into the show, it's doomed.

I'm gonna give it 1 more week, then I'm done. 3 strikes & you're out.

OK, my is finished.
    First trip, Christmas 1971.
    Last Trip, Oct. 2017 - ICOT20!
    Next Trip: Planning...Always Planning

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PirateLover View Post
    I've been giving this a lot of thought since last night because I was so surprised at the comments, but with the new morning I think I can understand the disappointment a tad more. I am quick to defend it not because I'm a fan girl (I don't like a few of the what I call in between movies like Muppets From Space, Muppet Wizard of Oz etc) but because I really do think it's a good show thus far. But yes, it's a different kind of humor than what we are used to from them. I think people are missing the slapstick element. The jokes have been mostly verbal, not visual. The old show had a better mix. While the adults may enjoy The guest stars and musical numbers, kids could get a kick out of Gonzo attempting another stunt, Marvin Suggs banging his mallet on his muppephone heads etc. so far the new show doesn't have that. I appreciate things like Uncle Deadly being in charge of wardrobe and Lipps finally getting a line but that kind of stuff is lost on a general audience. I do hope in the future we get to see more musical numbers. One last thought I will leave you with is that Frank Oz (who hasn't been involved with The Muppets in over a decade) hated the Jason Segal movie because it was too over the top with the warm-and-fuzzy. I liked the movie, but I think it provides an interesting perspective.

I understand there are different types of humor, adult tiered humor, humor aimed at kids, tweens etc. But the one thing they have in common is, humor by design is supposed to be, well, humorous. I wasn't offended, suprised yes, offended no. I just didn't find any of it funny in the least.

Seinfeld, Fraser, Cheers, Friends all are great examples of humor geared towards adults, some in your face, others more subtle. Again, I only gave it 15 minutes, but what I saw wasn't funny, imo.

Maybe I'll give it a chance, without the kids around, but may need to do if fast as apparently the rating from week 1 to week 2 tanked. If it can level out, it will probably be safe, but if it keeps going down, it'll be history before I even get back to it.

Post Thanks / Like

I gotta say, tonight's episode with Nick Offerman, Christina Applegate and Liam Hemsworth was very funny. Love Nick Offerman! I don't know if it will make it seven seasons, but it's a good lead in for Fresh Off the Boat (one of our favorite shows for sure).
    Beth & David

09/82 Treehouse Villas, 06/86 BVP, 10/95 CBR, 10/99 DI, 08/03 PORS, 10/05 POP, 11/06 AKL, 09/09 POLY, 10/10 Wonder, 05/11 Dream/PORS, 08/13 POLY, 11/13 GF, 04/15 POLY, 11/15 BLT, 11/16 Aulani, 03/17 BLT, 08/18 BLT, 07/19 AKL, 06/21 BLT

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by brad192 View Post
    Watched the first two episodes & was not impressed at all. Looks like they're trying to go "mainstream" with the humor, relying on the standard unfunny sitcom setups & conflicts. Yawn.

The reason we Muppets fans ARE fans is because the writers, creators, et al DID'NT sink to that level! Gimme those totally absurd situations, gimme those wacky production numbers, gimme Pigs In Space! That's the stuff that made me tune in week after week with the old show! I think unless they start injecting some of that into the show, it's doomed.

I'm gonna give it 1 more week, then I'm done. 3 strikes & you're out.

OK, my is finished.
    I agree to an extent. I feel like the office environment isn't lending itself to the wacky side. It's mostly one-liners. Funny that the goofball stuff is what I LOVED about Muppets Most Wanted, but many criticized it for lacking the heart of The Muppets (Segal movie). I think we got a few wacky moments tonight, but still not enough.

Quote Originally Posted by The Hitchhiking Ghost View Post
    I understand there are different types of humor, adult tiered humor, humor aimed at kids, tweens etc. But the one thing they have in common is, humor by design is supposed to be, well, humorous. I wasn't offended, suprised yes, offended no. I just didn't find any of it funny in the least.

Seinfeld, Fraser, Cheers, Friends all are great examples of humor geared towards adults, some in your face, others more subtle. Again, I only gave it 15 minutes, but what I saw wasn't funny, imo.

Maybe I'll give it a chance, without the kids around, but may need to do if fast as apparently the rating from week 1 to week 2 tanked. If it can level out, it will probably be safe, but if it keeps going down, it'll be history before I even get back to it.
    I totally understand what you are saying, and all of those shows you listed are favorites of ours with episodes we could watch over and over (except Friends which I just never understood the popularity of). Please don't misunderstand me. Humor can be relative. I don't think this type of humor plays to as broad of a base. I can't tell you that you're wrong for not laughing. While I'm certain that there are gags in the show that would make you laugh,if you didn't like anything about the first 15 minutes then it's probably safe to assume you won't enjoy the rest of the show.

Honestly, while I stand by my defense of the show and I am indeed enjoying it, It's not the format I would've chosen. I really think that their best bet would've been to revive the variety show format and do a handful of specials each year rather than a weekly TV show.
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

I've really enjoyed it so far!
    Cruises:
    Feb 12-16, 2012 (Dream), Oct 20-27, 2012 (Fantasy Eastern), Sept 8-12, 2013 (Dream) Jan 20-24, 2014 (Magic) Sept 14-18, 2015 (Dream) Sept 25-29, 2017 (Dream) Sept 22-29, 2018 (Fantasy Eastern) Sept 23-27, 2019 (Dream)

Post Thanks / Like

OK, I watched the third installment and didn't laugh once. Didn't even chuckle warmly. I'm done, and it saddens me because there is so much potential there, if only the writers & producers could see it. Time for some old Muppet Show videos to help purge my soul...
    First trip, Christmas 1971.
    Last Trip, Oct. 2017 - ICOT20!
    Next Trip: Planning...Always Planning

Post Thanks / Like

I ran out of things to watch this weekend so I watched the first three episodes in a row to see if I like it better than when I watched the first one. Sometimes I find if do a mini marathon, I cab get into a new show more than if I watch week to week. Sadly I'd still say I'm lukewarm. If I need something to watch I would watch it but I wouldn't go out of my way.

My husband hasn't seen it yet. I'm interested to see what he thinks.
    Cindy aka AgentC
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations, Dining, Movies, TV, Music & Musicals

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure what I think about this....
    I used to really enjoy the old Muppet show where a "real" guest star was put into the uniformly crazy Muppet world, kind of the same idea as Walt Disney's early Alice comedies. But this show seems to be a reversal of that idea, not in a good "Roger Rabbit" kind of way where cartoon characters were put into a fantasy version of reality. The Muppet characters are still true to their basic personalities but they are being put into a scenario where they are expected to deal with real world problems and situations both professionally and personally in a world where they don't really belong. I'm sure some bonehead network executives think this is a more sophisticated version of the Muppets, but it doesn't really work for me. I think the basic premise is flawed, same thinking that ruined comic books for me. I don't want the real world encroaching on my escapist entertainment! End of rant.
    To end on a positive note, I am happy to see Kermit and Scooter together again!
    Wells
    "But...I don't want to go among mad people."

"Oh, you can't help that," said the cat, "we're all mad here"

Post Thanks / Like

Another good episode with Ed Helms and after work karaoke. I don't know the Muppet's name but Rapper's Delight was awesome!
    Beth & David

09/82 Treehouse Villas, 06/86 BVP, 10/95 CBR, 10/99 DI, 08/03 PORS, 10/05 POP, 11/06 AKL, 09/09 POLY, 10/10 Wonder, 05/11 Dream/PORS, 08/13 POLY, 11/13 GF, 04/15 POLY, 11/15 BLT, 11/16 Aulani, 03/17 BLT, 08/18 BLT, 07/19 AKL, 06/21 BLT

Post Thanks / Like

That was the Swedish Chef!
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joonyer View Post
    That was the Swedish Chef!
    Ah...didn't recognize him in his "street clothes." Thanks!
    Beth & David

Post Thanks / Like

At first I thought the bit (video) must have come from the new series, but it appears that its been around for a while. But if you haven't seen it, google "Muppets Devil went down to Jamaica". Its a Muppet spoof of Charlie Daniels Band Devil went down to Georgia, but instead with the Muppets singing about doing pot.

It was actually funny, original and had some good humor, and as stand alone I can appreciate it. But for me, I usually don't look to the Muppets to get this kind of humor, which is probably why this new format just hasn't clicked with me. Its fine in a one-off sort of way, but a half hour of it, just doesn't work for me.

Post Thanks / Like

At first I thought the bit (video) must have come from the new series, but it appears that its been around for a while. But if you haven't seen it, google "Muppets Devil went down to Jamaica". Its a Muppet spoof of Charlie Daniels Band Devil went down to Georgia, but instead with the Muppets singing about doing pot.
    This is actually a video clip of the Muppets doing "the Devil went down to Georgia" on the Muppet Show, someone overdubbed the words of the David Allen Coe parody on this. Did anyone really think the Disney channel would air this?
    Wells
    "But...I don't want to go among mad people."

"Oh, you can't help that," said the cat, "we're all mad here"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    This is actually a video clip of the Muppets doing "the Devil went down to Georgia" on the Muppet Show, someone overdubbed the words of the David Allen Coe parody on this. Did anyone really think the Disney channel would air this?
    Well, I never thought I'd hear Kermit the Frog say "She's made my life a bacon wrapped Hell" or hear Zoot talking about rehab, so yeah, I didn't really think it much of a stretch that this was something they did.

I should have known it wasn't from the new show though, this was actually funny.

Post Thanks / Like

We absolutely love it ..it feels the muppets have grown up from my era.. It's like the office in many ways ( UK ) version and I am loving how some are the guest stars are sending up themselves ... It's a must watch for us
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    Offsite 1996 to 2005
    Dec 2006 2007 2008 CBR
    Dec 2009 2010 2011 2013 2014 2017 BLT
    Dec 2012 2015 2016 2018 OKW
    Dec 2017 2018 S/S
    June 2010 BCV
    June 2012 OKW

Post Thanks / Like

Tonight's episode (11/10) with Jason Bateman and Kermit closing with The Rainbow Connection was another winner!

Beth & David

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RAIDER View Post
    We absolutely love it ..it feels the muppets have grown up from my era.. It's like the office in many ways ( UK ) version and I am loving how some are the guest stars are sending up themselves ... It's a must watch for us
    It has found it's way on to our DVR too. DS23 grew up with the Muppets and he's the biggest fan of the show in our house. He's an Office fan too so maybe that's the connection for him.
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by baldburke View Post
    Tonight's episode (11/10) with Jason Bateman and Kermit closing with The Rainbow Connection was another winner!

I agree, I think it might've been the best one yet. It had some wacky elements like the broken elevator and the huge block of butter, and it also had some heart with Gonzo telling Scooter he believed in him and of course Kermit finding his zen with the swamp and his banjo.
    ~M.~

11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

20. Likes baldburke liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

No new series so far has experienced a bigger dropoff from its premiere ratings — 2.9 to a low of 1.3 on Oct. 13. The Muppets are a big brand for Disney, and the team making the show is full of veterans who care deeply about it. But the more “grown-up” tone has put off a lot of Muppet fans.
    I was looking up ratings for another show of mine and saw an 11/3 article talking about the power ranking of 20 of the seasons new shows. At the time of this article they had Muppests as #8. #1 was Quantico followed by Blindspot, Supergirl and Limitless.

Will be interesting to see how Muppets fare as the season progresses.

Post Thanks / Like

I was looking up ratings for another show of mine and saw an 11/3 article talking about the power ranking of 20 of the seasons new shows. At the time of this article they had Muppests as #8. #1 was Quantico followed by Blindspot, Supergirl and Limitless.

Will be interesting to see how Muppets fare as the season progresses.
    They also hired a new writer for the 2nd half of the season. I think it's finding its way slowly but surely.
    ~M.~

11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come

23. Likes baldburke liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: