Quantcast Walt Disney on PBS Sep 14/15

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Walt Disney on PBS Sep 14/15

As part of their "American Experience" series PBS will be Presenting a very special look at Walt Disney Tonight (9/14) and tomorrow (9/15).

From the PBS website;

"This new two-part, four-hour film examines Disney’s complex life and enduring legacy, featuring rare archival footage from the Disney vaults, scenes from some of his greatest films, and interviews with biographers, animators and artists who worked on early films, including Snow White, and the designers who helped turn his dream of Disneyland into reality."

Sounds good huh?!

Check your local listings, don't want to miss this!
    Wells
    "But...I don't want to go among mad people."

"Oh, you can't help that," said the cat, "we're all mad here"

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Awesome...love this stuff! Can't wait to watch!
    Beth & David

09/82 Treehouse Villas, 06/86 BVP, 10/95 CBR, 10/99 DI, 08/03 PORS, 10/05 POP, 11/06 AKL, 09/09 POLY, 10/10 Wonder, 05/11 Dream/PORS, 08/13 POLY, 11/13 GF, 04/15 POLY, 11/15 BLT, 11/16 Aulani, 03/17 BLT, 08/18 BLT, 07/19 AKL, 06/21 BLT

Post Thanks / Like

To be clear, part 1 is tonight and part 2 is tonight so make sure and record both.

Thanks for letting us know. I just set my timers.
    ===================

2016 POR
    2015 CS
    2014 WDW-Offsite
    2014 Disneyland-offsite
    2014 CBR
    2013 Dolphin
    2012 POR
    2012 WDW-Offsite
    2011 ASMusic, POR

1998 Dixie Landings
    1990's, Dixie Landings, Misc Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

"To be clear, part 1 is tonight and part 2 is tonight so make sure and record both.

"

You might want to check that, they broadcasted part 1 twice consecutively last night (9/14) and will broadcast part 2 twice consecutively tonight (9/15).
    Wells
    "But...I don't want to go among mad people."

"Oh, you can't help that," said the cat, "we're all mad here"

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    "To be clear, part 1 is tonight and part 2 is tonight so make sure and record both.

"

You might want to check that, they broadcasted part 1 twice consecutively last night (9/14) and will broadcast part 2 twice consecutively tonight (9/15).
    The PBS website also has both parts up & viewable. Watched Part 1 from there today. The interviews & video were fun and interesting, but the info on Walt I already knew from reading his biography. Can't wait for Part 2 tonight!
    First trip, Christmas 1971.
    Last Trip, Oct. 2017 - ICOT20!
    Next Trip: Planning...Always Planning

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post

"

I just checked the Uverse menu, that is what it said.

Thanks
    ===================

2016 POR
    2015 CS
    2014 WDW-Offsite
    2014 Disneyland-offsite
    2014 CBR
    2013 Dolphin
    2012 POR
    2012 WDW-Offsite
    2011 ASMusic, POR

1998 Dixie Landings

Post Thanks / Like

Walt did not come off looking like a very nice guy in this. The quote near the beginning says it all, " He wanted to be thought of as a hale fellow, well met and good natured, but he wasn't".
    Dave aka: Altair
    "Even though they're graceful when swimmin', it's hard to believe sailors thought they were women" - Manatee area, the Living Seas

Post Thanks / Like

I missed seeing this post before today so I just checked iTunes. They have it for $3.99, HD version, for anyone else that may want to see it this way. I have a flight this week so this will give me something to watch on the plane.

This is a whole other issue, but if I already subscribe to DirecTV at home, I don't want to have to pay for it on an airplane.
    Genna
    Always Enjoy the
    ¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨Magic¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨

"Now approaching, Mickey's Star Traders"

If You Can Read This...
    ...Thank The Phoenicians!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Altair View Post
    Walt did not come off looking like a very nice guy in this. The quote near the beginning says it all, " He wanted to be thought of as a hale fellow, well met and good natured, but he wasn't".
    Did that surprise you? I've always been aware that Walt was a tough fellow. I blame some of that on his childhood and his dad's stern ways, and his parent's many failures and then his failures as a young man. It has to take some of the sweetness in you away.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
    Did that surprise you? I've always been aware that Walt was a tough fellow. I blame some of that on his childhood and his dad's stern ways, and his parent's many failures and then his failures as a young man. It has to take some of the sweetness in you away.
    At one point in the second half they noted that Walt said he was just playing Mr. Disney and he's nothing like Walt Disney because he drinks, smokes and isn't always a nice guy.

It would have been interesting to have seen what WDW might have become had Walt lived another 20 or 30 years. Both parts of the show were good, but I preferred the second half that focused on the parks and the TV years.
    Beth & David

09/82 Treehouse Villas, 06/86 BVP, 10/95 CBR, 10/99 DI, 08/03 PORS, 10/05 POP, 11/06 AKL, 09/09 POLY, 10/10 Wonder, 05/11 Dream/PORS, 08/13 POLY, 11/13 GF, 04/15 POLY, 11/15 BLT, 11/16 Aulani, 03/17 BLT, 08/18 BLT, 07/19 AKL, 06/21 BLT

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
    Did that surprise you?
    I knew he was tough and demanding, but I didn't realize he could be a real jerk too.
    Dave aka: Altair
    "Even though they're graceful when swimmin', it's hard to believe sailors thought they were women" - Manatee area, the Living Seas

Post Thanks / Like

I enjoyed it. A more balanced look at Walt than a lot of what's out there.
    Steve (aka brownie)
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations & Mousellaneous
    ASMv 4/00, 10/01, 11/03, 5/21
    ASMu 8/12, 11-12/22
    AKL 6/18
    BC 9/94
    CSR 8/14, 3-4/22
    POP 11-12/10, 3/12, 10/12, 7/17, 4/22
    POFQ 10/01
    POR 9/04, 1/16, 11/19
    WL 12/03
    Disneyland 6/07, 1/15
    Disney Dream 8/14

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by brownie View Post
    That's because PBS didn't let the Disney family have any influence on the production other than them opening the archives for footage, pictures and recordings. No one in the family got to see early cuts of the film, either.

I actually learned a lot about Walt that I didn't know. I haven't read any biographies and have only seen TV specials that focus on the parks, and I have walked through One Man's Dream a couple times. I didn't know anything about the strikes and him testifying as a friendly witness during the Black Listing and McCarthy era. One person commented in the film that people who make it to the top aren't the nice guys, you have to be rough and sometimes ruthless to get there. But, I think it was obvious that while his business relationships were rocky, his devotion to and love for Lillian and his daughters was undeniable. It was nice to see that he truly was a family man at heart. It was especially meaningful in the second part to watch the evolution of Disneyland, having just been there for the first time during the Diamond Anniversary it was really cool to see Walt's imprint and involvement in California. I wish he could have seen the original plans for the "Florida Project" through.
    ~Nikki~
    Last Trip: February 2024
    Next Trips: April 2024

Post Thanks / Like

It was a great show. I wish there would be more like it. I'd love more park history videos, some about others.

There is one about the Sherman bros. Really good, but tragic in many ways. Very open and honest.
    ===================

2016 POR
    2015 CS
    2014 WDW-Offsite
    2014 Disneyland-offsite
    2014 CBR
    2013 Dolphin
    2012 POR
    2012 WDW-Offsite
    2011 ASMusic, POR

1998 Dixie Landings

Post Thanks / Like

Default PBS Show

I don't know about the rest of you but I learned a lot about Walt Disney while watching that show. Not that I don't have any less respect for the man who created such a phenomenal industry. I was surprised by part of his personality that I had no idea about.
    * 2003 - Beach Club
    * 2004 - Downtown Disney
    * 2004 - ASS
    * 2005 - ASS
    * 2006 - Disneyland
    * 2008 - CSR
    * 2009 - CSR
    * 2010 - Beach Club
    * 2012 - CSR - (2)
    * 2013 - POP
    * 2013 - ASM
    * 2014 - Pop (2)
    * 2015 - CSR
    * 2017 - POP
    * 2019 - POP
    * 2020 - POP
    * 2021 - POP

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by brownie View Post
    We enjoyed it also. I think its naive to think he achieved everything he did while being the nice guy. At the end of the day he was a business man. Business doesn't bode well for people who can't stand up to it.

While the business side may not have come across as warm and fuzzy I think they did portray that softer side that was him as a very devoted father.
    "One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation, right at the start of everything thats new, one little spark lights up for you!"

ºoº

Mom to our little Prince Everett and Princess Adelaide
    August 2020 Caribbean Beach!
    Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dulcee View Post
    At the end of the day he was a business man. Business doesn't bode well for people who can't stand up to it.
    I think he was more of a dreamer or visionary as opposed to a business man. It was Roy that always had to reign in the budgets.

He's still an amazing guy. Just great to see that he had his faults just like us. He probably would have been great to have a few drinks with.
    Beth & David

Post Thanks / Like

I finally got around to watching the show - DVR'd it.

I did feel the presentation was done very well.

Some of the info was already known as many have said here. DW and I have owned Walt: The Man Behind the Myth for years and some of the info on this program was repetitious. BUT some info was new.

Overall I did like it. It left me sort of feeling bad for him. He never saw his WORLD complete, which we all knew. His struggles thru life - due to his views at times - just seemed a bit sad. The comment "playing Mr. Disney" couldn't be truer. And we have always joked that “working for the mouse” is likely NOT easy. I think this program drove that home. I think he was a great entrepreneur and immagineer but I think he was a person missing a bit of joy in his life.

Dreamer, yes…Tyrant…not sure. I do respect what he started and created on a budget less than peanut shells. Good thing for Roy and his financial input. Course least we forget that one man can’t do it alone. This is so true in the Disney successes for sure.
    Best Regards,
    GMRO

Been There; Done That; Got The Shirt; AND GOING BACK!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: