Quantcast Tips on bein safe in San Francisco alone

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tips on bein safe in San Francisco alone

My 25 yr old dds is taking a solo trip to see Josh Groban at the Masonic. She booked a motel with 17 reviews on trip advisor. Most good but when I called the police they said it's not a good neighborhood with lots of homeless and drug addicts. I am sorry if I come off heartless I do volunteer for food pantry here but l am am scared to death since she will be alone. She is also planning on taking some shuttle instead of a cab from the airport. She is so stubborn and won't listen to me.She just loves coming home and saying mom see I'm fine.I have even offered to give her 200 for cabs. Please give me some safety tips and where you would stay if you were a young woman alone.
    TRACEY

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Where exactly is the hotel? Which district?
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    Where exactly is the hotel? Which district?
    pm you. Thanks
    TRACEY

Post Thanks / Like

I totally understand that our kids are our kids, no matter what.That said, at 25-years-old, I think that you need to trust that she has learned the lessons you taught her about caution and safety. It's not easy, I know (I have a 23-year-old son, so I can relate), but a necessary part of letting them live their own life.

We have visited San Francisco and really, there is no area without any kind of danger. That is true of any major city. I'm sure the shuttle to/from the airport is fine, but maybe you could get her to compromise about taking a cab to/from the concert. That and have her text or call you throughout her trip so that you could have the peace of mind in knowing that she's okay.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MNNHFLTX View Post
    I totally understand that our kids are our kids, no matter what.That said, at 25-years-old, I think that you need to trust that she has learned the lessons you taught her about caution and safety. It's not easy, I know (I have a 23-year-old son, so I can relate), but a necessary part of letting them live their own life.

We have visited San Francisco and really, there is no area without any kind of danger. That is true of any major city. I'm sure the shuttle to/from the airport is fine, but maybe you could get her to compromise about taking a cab to/from the concert. That and have her text or call you throughout her trip so that you could have the peace of mind in knowing that she's okay.
    The safety tips on line say to stay away from the tenderloin area. I do trust her and am happy she gets this opportunity. Just doesn't make sense to stay in the part of town that you are specially told not to.
    TRACEY

Post Thanks / Like

I go through this everyday with my 20 year old going to school in Philadelphia. She has done some really stupid things in the 3 years she has been attending classes and commuting ( like walking the 1+mile to the train station at night alone instead of taking a taxi). The area she walks in has some pretty bad streets. During the day not normally a problem but at night she is putting herself at risk.

I think all big cities have the same dangers.

Some good safety tips- Walking with a purpose - not revealing in your actions if you are lost or confused about location- don't study maps or directions while on sidewalk ( step into a business to study your notes or map) - avoid eye contact. Walking in large cities I stay in crowded areas and avoid walking at night. Taxi rides are worth the extra $$.

I am the type of person that talks to everyone but I try to just keep focused on my destination and keep the small talk to times I am in more control of the situation.

My daughter carries a mace clip on her backpack. She has replaced it each school year and luckily has not had to use it.
    We'll Go On....Off To Neverland

Wishes!

It's A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow....Where Dreams Really Do Come True

Never Forget It was All Started By A Mouse....TTFN

Post Thanks / Like

Tracey,

I was able to get a room at the Best Western Tuscan the same week as the Groban show for $199 per night. The hotel is highly rated on TA. It is located in the Wharf area and probably about a mile or so from the theater. A cab to the theater shouldn't be that much.
    98 - All-Star Sports
    03 - All-Star Music
    04 - Offsite
    07 - Pop Century
    09 - All-Star Movies
    10 - All-Star Movies
    11 - Offsite
    12 - All-Star Music

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jezzup View Post
    Tracey,

I was able to get a room at the Best Western Tuscan the same week as the Groban show for $199 per night. The hotel is highly rated on TA. It is located in the Wharf area and probably about a mile or so from the theater. A cab to the theater shouldn't be that much.
    Thank you. Are you going to the concert too?
    TRACEY

Post Thanks / Like

Can you take mace or pepper spray on an airplane?
    TRACEY

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tiggerlovr9000 View Post
    Are you going to the concert too?
    I am not.
    98 - All-Star Sports
    03 - All-Star Music
    04 - Offsite
    07 - Pop Century
    09 - All-Star Movies
    10 - All-Star Movies
    11 - Offsite
    12 - All-Star Music

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tiggerlovr9000 View Post
    Can you take mace or pepper spray on an airplane?
    From the TSA:

One 4 fl. oz. (118 ml) container of mace or pepper spray is permitted in checked baggage provided it is equipped with a safety mechanism to prevent accidental discharge. Self-defense sprays containing more than 2 percent by mass of tear gas (CS or CN) are prohibited in checked baggage. For more information, visit faa.gov
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you everyone, she did listen and has booked a motel for 149.00 a night in a safer neighborhood more centrally located to the sites she wants to see. Calling the motel directly saved her 30 dollars a night.
    TRACEY

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: