Quantcast San Francisco Help

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default San Francisco Help

Deciding on a last minute solo trip to San Francisco next month. It will be four nights. Below are some issues I need help with.

Where to stay – SF or Oakland… I’m budgeting $200 a night. That doesn’t get me much in SF. The reviews on Tripadvisor for places in that range are not very good. If I stay in Oakland, I’ll get a much better place. My concern is I’ll be using BART to get everywhere so I’d likely have to walk from the Oakland hotel to the BART station. The Oakland hotels I’m considering are all along the water. I believe the area is called the Embarcadero. Anyone familiar with this area? Would I be at risk walking to the BART station? Should I just take a lesser place in SF?

Air Condition – Some of the reviews I read on the SF hotels stated there was no air conditioning. Is this an issue? I had read that September is the warmest time of year there. The hotel ranked #9 in SF on Tripadvisor actually has a rate close to my budget but it does not have ac. All the other top ranked hotels are way out of my budget.

Thanks for the help.
    98 - All-Star Sports
    03 - All-Star Music
    04 - Offsite
    07 - Pop Century
    09 - All-Star Movies
    10 - All-Star Movies
    11 - Offsite
    12 - All-Star Music

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Stay in the city. Staying in Oakland is a pain and not very safe. BART is safe enough, but not at night and especially if you will be alone.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

As for the AC, that's a personal call. I couldn't do it. I need COLD, dry air to sleep at night and silence. All those non air conditioned hotels might have windows you can open but the city streets are LOUD all night long. Plus, it is VERY foggy in SF so often it feels cool and damp, which is not a pleasant combination. A room AC will help maintain a comfortable sleep environment.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Hello,
    Try the Marina Motel in SF. I have not stayed here personally, but many friends have. Very reasonable and supposed to be quite cute. I'm not sure on the proximity to public transportation. Also, recommend staying down near SFO. The doubletree, embassy suites, hyatt, Marriott all can have good rates and are easily accessible to BART. Third option, is the Oakland Hilton right at the airport. The hotel itself used to be quite nice, but I have not been there in years. The surrounding area is iffy especially at night. I do not recommend walking anywhere in Oakland alone. There are nice areas, but they all border not so nice areas. I'm not sure I'd want to stay here alone. You may also want to try down around Fishermans Wharf. Also, Hilton hotels have great military rates if you qualify for those. Not sure on the AC. I currently live in AZ, but when I lived in the Bay Area, we did not have AC.

Good Luck!

Post Thanks / Like

Oakland, in general, is not a place I'd want to walk around alone at night. Yes, there are some nicer places, however the areas you mentioned are not the ones that come to mind. Additionally, I don't know how close the BART stations are to Jack London Square and other marina areas. Additionally, the BART line that goes to the Oakland Airport is an extension that recently opened, and doesn't connect to areas around the airport hotels.

In San Francisco shoot for Union Square or possibly the Financial District. Fisherman's Wharf is a fine tourist area, and you'll be able to get onto buses and cable cars, but there are not BART stations close to the Wharf.
    Aryn

I am the rebel spy.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the responses. Looks like there is a convention in town that week so I’ve rescheduled for the first week of November. Was able to get a room at a BW in the Wharf area for under $200 per night except for the last night (A Friday). They wanted over $400 for that night. I’m just going to stay that night by the airport. I’m sure BW will hold my bag for the day.

I’ve heard November is the start of the “rainy” season so hopefully that doesn’t impact my plans too much. Haven’t been to SF since 1997. Excited but also feeling a little weird about going alone.
    98 - All-Star Sports
    03 - All-Star Music
    04 - Offsite
    07 - Pop Century
    09 - All-Star Movies
    10 - All-Star Movies
    11 - Offsite
    12 - All-Star Music

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jezzup View Post
    Thanks for the responses. Looks like there is a convention in town that week so I’ve rescheduled for the first week of November. Was able to get a room at a BW in the Wharf area for under $200 per night except for the last night (A Friday). They wanted over $400 for that night. I’m just going to stay that night by the airport. I’m sure BW will hold my bag for the day.

I’ve heard November is the start of the “rainy” season so hopefully that doesn’t impact my plans too much. Haven’t been to SF since 1997. Excited but also feeling a little weird about going alone.
    My dd just booked a trip the same week to see Josh Groban. Offered to pay for cab to motel but she is insisting on some type of shuttle. She is so stubborn. Likes to freak me out. Don't think wise to travel alone in city she doesn't know on shuttle with luggage. Hope you have a great trip..
    TRACEY

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: