Quantcast First Cruise Advice?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default First Cruise Advice?

We--me, husband, son who will be 6 by then--are about a year away from our first-ever cruise and first-ever DCL experience. We've done some reading and watched the DVD, and are very excited. What advice can experienced cruisers offer about any aspects? We are taking a 4-night cruise on the Dream in August 2016!

Thanks so much in advance!
    2004: Honeymoon! All Star Movies!
    2006: All Star Movies
    June 2008: Pop Century
    October-November 2008: Pop Century
    October 2010: Pop Century
    August 2012: AS Movies...my son's first trip!
    August 2013: CBR
    August 2014: Pop
    August 2015: Riverside!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

4 nights ain't gonna be enough.

Don't think you can do it all, its designed to be overload.

Don't bother unpacking, if you do, start packing up again day 2 to ease debarkation.

Plan EARLY. Many pre-booked activities will be booked the first day they are available. Castaway Club guests can book earlier than you, so pickins get slim.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't overplan! Before our first cruise, I was worried about what we would do all day on the ship. I giggle when I think back about it.

For us, we only booked 1 shore activity, and the rest of the time we did the things that caught our eye in the Navigators (the daily "newsletter" of all of the activities). DD spent TONS of time in the kids club, she really did enjoy it, and we enjoyed some activities just the two of us.

We did book a brunch in Palo, and it was AMAZING! Well worth doing! We took the time to see the shows each night as well, as they are very good.
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

Any length cruise is a good cruise! Yes, the time flies but that's true of almost any vacation...Disney or not. Overall we've been please with our DCL experience. We actually found it tough to decide which is better is you have limited vacationing dollars...WDW or DCL? Good luck and enjoy!
    Beth & David

09/82 Treehouse Villas, 06/86 BVP, 10/95 CBR, 10/99 DI, 08/03 PORS, 10/05 POP, 11/06 AKL, 09/09 POLY, 10/10 Wonder, 05/11 Dream/PORS, 08/13 POLY, 11/13 GF, 04/15 POLY, 11/15 BLT, 11/16 Aulani, 03/17 BLT, 08/18 BLT, 07/19 AKL, 06/21 BLT

Post Thanks / Like

Take a power strip, also a pre cut picture mat- you can ask to get character signatures and they will fill it- great to put your precruise photo in! We made a personalized magnet for our cabin door- made it easier to pick out (they all look alike). We also took envelopes and cash for additional tipping- our servers were worth more than the prepaid gratuities. Pack your suits in carry on so your little one can get right to water activities. Enjoy!
    May'98-WL
    Sept'01-POFQ
    Oct'03-ASM
    Aug'04-CBR & Charley
    Dec'05- WL-Joined DVC
    June'06- DL's Grand Californian
    Nov '06 SSR
    Oct '07 SSR with extended family
    Oct '08 Disney Wonder/OKW
    Nov '09 AKV @ Kidani
    Nov '10 Kidani
    Nov '11 VWL
    May-June 13 Kidani
    Feb-March '14 SSR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tundramom View Post
    Take a power strip, also a pre cut picture mat- you can ask to get character signatures and they will fill it- great to put your precruise photo in! We made a personalized magnet for our cabin door- made it easier to pick out (they all look alike). We also took envelopes and cash for additional tipping- our servers were worth more than the prepaid gratuities. Pack your suits in carry on so your little one can get right to water activities. Enjoy!
    The autographs are being discontinued as of next month.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Also, they frown on the use of power strips. The room stewards are supposed to unplug them if seen. Whether they do or not is anyone's guess.
    Ed
    Senior Imagineer Emeritus

Welcome to the INTERCOT forums !

Post Thanks / Like

We found that the Dream had PLENTY of outlets for our electronics obsessed family of 4. Don't worry about needing a power strip. I think that is a suggestion based on the Magic and Wonder staterooms before the renovations. It's not applicable to the new ships.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Default My Advice

You are going to love it!!!!

My advice is:

1) Wear your bathing suit when you board. When you first arrive and your room isn't ready, you will end up on deck and will want to go swimming or your child will want to check out the sprinkler area. Everyone will be trying to change in the bathrooms, so if you are already wearing your suit, you will be ahead of the game.

2) Be prepared for your kid not to want to leave the kid's club when you go to pick them up. Ours was a little older and kept begging to stay there until midnight because of whatever was coming up next.

3) Check out the family activities such as the Mickey 500 (potato-race) and the Pirate Game Night. They do a great job at these!

4) Don't fret if you don't have shore excursions planned. With a 4-day cruise, you can even just stay on the ship and take the time to ride the Aquaduck and swim or play mini-golf. The on-board movie theater is pretty fun too.

Enjoy!!!

Post Thanks / Like

There really is SOOO MUUCHH to do on the DCL ships, don't over book excursions. Really...

The ship(s) are decked out and are beautiful. There is plenty to do for all ages with just the price of admission to board the ship.

I've packed a power strip each year. And we unpack it each year we return at home. Compared to OTHER cruise lines the DCL ships have plenty of in stateroom outlets to use.

Actually we did an Alaskan Cruise on Celebrity's Solstice this past June. We packed the power strip again...and again unpacked it. I'd hate to see the SHIPS from other cruise lines where you actually need the power strips... SO far our sea voyages have been only DCL and Celebrity and both are very close in quality. Though Celebrity did beat the heck out of DCL for food. I rate DCL a 7 for food. This includes the buffets and top end restaurants that come at an additional fee. Celebrity was all 9's. Buffet and top end left DCL in the wake.

Good luck and HAVE A MAGICAL VOYAGE!
    Best Regards,
    GMRO

Been There; Done That; Got The Shirt; AND GOING BACK!

Post Thanks / Like

Oh you're going to have SO MUCH FUN!!!! We are going on our 6th cruise Aug of 2016 as well, but this time only a 3-day as we are surprising our kids and grandkids as a Christmas gift I'd advise to not do an excursion. They are very expensive and a 6 yr old will likely be hot, bored or hungry. Save them for when you go again and he's older (you will go again, trust me, lol). 1) request the earliest boarding time possible. 2) wear your bathing suits under your clothes and sandals 3) pack LIGHT day bags with essentials you'll need until 3pm. IE sunscreen, sunglasses, hat & medication. Then go to Cabanan's and grab some lunch and take it out to a pool chair and eat and relax. I recommend one around the edges of the family pool. Not out in the direct hot August sun. 4) bring an insulated mug for each person because the small paper cups don't hold much or keep drinks cold for long. 5) Don't miss the kid's club, he will love it! 6) Get the early seating if you think you'll be running out of steam by 4. You'll need a little time to get ready for dinner. 7) Don't miss the shows. Your son will be exhaused after dinner, but they are worth it. 8) Buy Pirate "gear" at Party City or similar for pirate night and right after dinner go secure a place by the railing on Deck 11 on the Starboard? side (when facing the movie screen, it's on your right and the sea is on your left). The show will be on the stage below you and the fireworks will be on your side of the ship. 9) Don't miss the Aqua Duck. Best time to do it is on the Nassau Day. I don't care for Nassau, it's dirty. Get off super early so you can say you did and then go back to the ship and enjoy the relative solitude and the Aqua Duck. 10) Get off on Castaway Cay day! Get off as early as possible, find chairs with an umbrella. They are plentiful until about 10am. Castaway Cay is my favorite place! If you have an umbrella, you'll be able to stay all day. I could go on and on, haha. Lastly, DONT OVER PACK! It's too stressful. I pack with one color scheme so everything will mix and match. You will wear your bathing suit and coverup every day and something to dinner, that's it. I pack white or black capris, white shirt and a light summery sweater for each night. I have a pair of switchflops and I bring colors to match my sweaters and bathing suit. The only other item I pack is workout shorts and my running shoes. If you run, don't miss the Castaway Cay 5K! It's free! I pack khaki shorts and polos for my husband.
    This is getting too long. I'll stop for now. Email me if you have other questions
    2 trips as a kid, '88 - Ft W,'90-Ft W '99-OKW 94-OKW 96-OKW 98-OKW 00-OKW&DCL 03-OKW 05-OKW 07-DVCcruise 08-OKW 10-OKW 11 - OKW 9/12 Aulani 5/13-All Star Sp, DCL& Exp Eve 5-13AofA & Exp Ev, 8/14-OKW 5/15-AKL, Exp Ev & DCL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pamlvt View Post
    This is getting too long. I'll stop for now. Email me if you have other questions
    NOT too long at all! This is great information! We will be doing a cruise for the first time next year ourselves and appreciate reading these tips!
    1288 very long miles to WDW!
    1958 DL-Off property
    Dec 1998 WDW-Off property-Chaperone HS Band trip
    Sep 2005 WDW-POR-25th Late Anniversary
    Apr 2010 WDW-POR-30th Anniversary!
    Aug 2012 DL-first time in 54 yrs!
    Apr 2014 DL-34th Anniversary!!
    Nov 2016 WDW-Retirement!
    Apr 2018 Disney-DGD's 1st trip!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: