Quantcast What's the best trip you've taken in the U.S.? - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Everyone has their likes and dislikes but some of my picks would be:
    Glacier National Park - quite bit like Yellowstone but worth the trip to see it too.
    Brice and Zion National Parks - beautiful and not as crowded as Yellowstone.
    Anywhere north of Santa Barbara along the California coast - even though I was born and raised in LA I hate what the area has become in the last 20 years and won't be going back unless it was a family emergency.
    Charleston & Hilton Head, SC, Savannah, GA and I'd also throw in Saint Augustine FL too - we have made this area part of our trips down to WDW.
    A bit out of the US, Vancouver, BC with a trip over to Victoria - we just got back from an Alaskan cruise with 2 days in this area and spent more time there in years past. We are really wanting to go back and spend more time there. Alaska not so much, was a "once and done" for us.
    Hawaii - any island, any time!
    Mary Anne, have a great time planning your next trip in this great big wonderful country of ours.
    KAY

DVC MEMBER - OKW & HHI
    First trip to WDW - Dec, 2005
    Last visit to Disneyland - 2014

First trip to Disneyland - 1955

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

New Orleans!
    Jack Sparrow: Hide the rum

91-98 Off property
    ASMusic-99
    POFQ-01 Wildfires
    ASMovies-02,03
    Pop-04 Hurricane Jeanne
    Pop-05 Tropical Storm Arlene
    Pop-09,10,11
    Sports-12
    Pop-15

Post Thanks / Like

Man, i'm lucky I grew up in, and have moved back to, Virginia. All of our field trips were to Williamsburg, Richmond, Washington DC, Monticello, Kings Dominion, etc. This past week I got to hike for three days on the Appalachian Trail with my daughter.

When I was a kid, we drove across the country *every year* because my Dad (from Richmond, VA) promised my Mom (from Boonville, CA) that he would get her home every year. And he did. And so we took a different route each time. At this point, the only continental states I haven't been to are Connecticut and Rhode Island.

That said, I don't have any one favorite US trip. I really enjoyed a family vacation we took a few years ago where we hit DC for a day to catch the "Art of Video Games" exhibit at the National Museum of American Art, then hit Gettysburg, Upstate New York and Niagara Falls. That was a great trip.

Tomorrow we're heading to Charlotte, NC to see Weird Al Yankovic in concert, then flying out to Las Vegas the next morning so that we can drive into Southern Utah and go hiking in Zion National Park. I expect this to be a great trip as well.
    2002 - 2022: 20+ visits (POR, BW, All Stars, VWL, CSR, BLT, BC, SSR, CB, Dolphin, OKW, Poly, offsite x8)
    DL - 1996, 2019
    Next up - January 2023 short trip! We just want to try that 50th Anniversary chocolate monstrosity at Mexico!

Post Thanks / Like

Favorite trip so far has been our road trip to Wa from SoCal and back. Started with a week in Seattle, drove up and around the northwest part of the state, I guess the start of Hwy 101, down through Oregon, and Northern California....through San Fran back inland and home....it was 2 amazing weeks that I could do again and again(actually could've spent less time in Seattle for more of the "nature" part of our drive!)....and we will be again next week, just a condensed version!

Close second was Southern Utah....hiking the Narrows in Zion, Bryce Canyon, North Rim Grand Canyon, horseback riding and ATV trail rides in the state parks near St George. Soo much fun and ridiculously affordable!

Then I would say Grand Canyon, just stayed 4 days with a few days getting there and back in April. We stayed in the Yavapai Lodge in the park and it was awesome! Everyone needs to go to the Grand Canyon at least once....its incredible!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Best trip

Dinosaur National Park in Maybell, UT is a have to see. A lot of people have mentioned places in California but another must see is to take a walking tour through the Redwoods at Trees of Mystery in Klamath, CA.
    Nov 05 - SOG
    May 06 - SOG
    Nov 06 - SOG
    May 07 - SOG
    Nov 07 - SOG
    Nov 08 - SOG
    Dec 08 - SOG
    Nov 09 - SOG
    May 10 - CBR
    Nov 10 - SOG
    May 11 - SOG
    Jan 12 - POP
    Nov 12 - FWC
    Nov 13 - FWC
    Nov 14 - FWC
    Next Nov 15 - FWC or SOG

Post Thanks / Like

When my girls were almost two, four and seven we spent three weeks driving cross country. Started in pittsburgh, on to kansas to visit with family. Then across southern kansas to boulder colorado. You spend two days driving toward the distant rockies! From Boulder to Pikes Peak, seven veils falls, garden of the gods. North to rocky mountain state forest, moose, great back country cooking and crazy hairpin turns up the pass. Next we decided to visit family in grand junction and discover dinosaurs for a while. Since the push was on, we went north through cattle farms with no fences and plenty of long horn cattle to stand in the middle of the road. In extreme nw colorado the plateus looked like the surface of the moon. We finally pulled into jackson hole and then yellowstone. The wildlife and scenery are unbeatable. The tetons are truely spectacular! In southern montana we saw fields of prairie dogs, where custer has his last stand and the badlands. Mt rushmore is also something to be seen on this trip. And last, but not least....the wall drug signs!
    We had been on the road for three weeks. About 4 hours from the house my two year old started yelling, "stuck!" And trying to get out of her seat. Other than that and the one flea infested hotel room, it was great!

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry I went MIA on this thread that I started! I truly appreciate all the input. I did say US, but Canada is a possibility as well. My DH just refuses (for now anyway) to fly anywhere overseas.

To address some of the questions/comments...
    -These would need to be 4-5 day adventures for the most part. We don't really want to do much location switching. We did 4 days at Yellowstone/Jackson Hole and switched locations and it was a hassle, so we all agreed that on shorter trips we would stay in one place and just do things within driving distance.
    -DH and I are the only ones with a kid, who will be 1 1/2 by the time our next trip rolls around. The rest of the family are adults ranging from 23-63!
    -I grew up in Philly and have been to DC many times. I do love historical stuff. -Everyone else in this particular familial group has done Hawaii, (except for me, waah).
    - DH has always wanted to do a cross-country road trip, but that's not in the cards for the foreseeable future.

We are spending 4th of July with DH's family and plan to discuss all of these, so I really appreciate all of your input!
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

Good grief! How could I have forgotten the Grand Canyon
    KAY

DVC MEMBER - OKW & HHI
    First trip to WDW - Dec, 2005
    Last visit to Disneyland - 2014

First trip to Disneyland - 1955

Post Thanks / Like

Grand Canyon is on the list, but it's looking like these are going to be summer trips, so we thought we might hold off on that one until DD is a little older due to the difficulty of handling the heat and crowds with a little one.
    ~M.~

11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PirateLover View Post
    Sorry I went MIA on this thread that I started! I truly appreciate all the input. I did say US, but Canada is a possibility as well. My DH just refuses (for now anyway) to fly anywhere overseas.

To address some of the questions/comments...
    -These would need to be 4-5 day adventures for the most part. We don't really want to do much location switching. We did 4 days at Yellowstone/Jackson Hole and switched locations and it was a hassle, so we all agreed that on shorter trips we would stay in one place and just do things within driving distance.
    -DH and I are the only ones with a kid, who will be 1 1/2 by the time our next trip rolls around. The rest of the family are adults ranging from 23-63!
    -I grew up in Philly and have been to DC many times. I do love historical stuff. -Everyone else in this particular familial group has done Hawaii, (except for me, waah).
    - DH has always wanted to do a cross-country road trip, but that's not in the cards for the foreseeable future.

We are spending 4th of July with DH's family and plan to discuss all of these, so I really appreciate all of your input!
    After reading this I would either go with Las Vegas or Niagara Falls.
    Stay on the Canadian side (Embassy Suites was very nice with a great location) but make sure you spend a day on the NY side. The town in NY might not be great but the NY park is very nice and had a lot of cool things you can't do on the other side.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NJGIRL View Post
    After reading this I would either go with Las Vegas or Niagara Falls.
    Stay on the Canadian side (Embassy Suites was very nice with a great location) but make sure you spend a day on the NY side. The town in NY might not be great but the NY park is very nice and had a lot of cool things you can't do on the other side.
    So funny you mention this... This is the hard part about this particular vacation is finding a place unique to all or a place people want to visit again. We were out to dinner and DH mentioned he wants to go to Niagra Falls, but his brother got engaged there and he and his wife just did another trip and they are part of this group. MIL has also been and doesn't care if she ever goes back. So maybe just the 3 of us will make it there one day. By the way I've stayed in a few Embassy suites, they are usually pretty nice and a good price!
    ~M.~

11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come

Post Thanks / Like

Now that I've gone back through again and have a little more time, I wanted toile a few additional comments and ask some questions.
    Here's another one if you don't mind moving a couple of time during the trip.

Newport Rhode Island.....Mansions
    Boston MA....Freedom Trail & Much More...Stay at the Omni here
    Salem MA.....Witches, Witches & More Witches

We did this years ago and it was very cool
    This is a big potential option for us. I think Boston area may be #1 for Dh. At least for next summer, we would like to stay within reasonable driving distance (we live right outside of Philly) and also somewhere that's hopefully not sweltering. We are both history lovers... We will see what the rest of the family thinks.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
    My favorite trip in the US would have to be visiting San Francisco/ Napa/ Sonoma. San Francisco has to be one of my favorite cities in the US (along with NYC, Boston, and New Orleans).
    Sadly, my brother in law says he will not visit California because of earthquakes! Honestly, there were 2 earthquakes when DH and Visited and we were on rides and didn't feel a thing. BIL has hiked volcanoes in Hawaii, and last year he came with us to Yellowstone (although he was slightly paranoid about the whole thing erupting whole we were there, lol). I hope we can change his mind because DH and I absolutely want to see more of California.

Quote Originally Posted by 1DisneyNut View Post
    Oddly enough as prior to taking the trip we never would have expected it, a trip that included Washington DC for several days, then Williamsburg (also hit Busch Gardens while we were there) and then to Virginia Beach ended up being one of the best and most memorable trips we have ever taken.
    Washington DC is a trip every American should make if possible. So much history and the Smithsonian's are great. The monuments are cool too. Williamsburg is such a beautiful area and Busch Gardens and it's waterpark Water Country USA are not to be missed. Colonial Williamsburg is a great place for people who like history.
    Busch Gardens and Water Country are so fun! I did Vanish Point at Water Country and it was the most terrifying ride I've ever done. I was shaking for 20 minutes after! We haven't adding to Williamsburg. As a history major, a lot of pHD historians rip it apart for being "fake" history, but to me, anything that gets people interested in the past is a-ok.

Quote Originally Posted by MNNHFLTX View Post
    Other favorite places--Maine, San Francisco/northern California (including Yosemite), Yellowstone/Grand Teton, Washington D.C. and Gettysburg.
    What was your Maine trip like? Where did you go?
    ~M.~

11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come

Post Thanks / Like

Lots of history in Charleston and Savannah.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
    Lots of history in Charleston and Savannah.
    Oh, I'm not discounting these locations for future trips. Actually I made a list of all the places that have been mentioned. But for the next trip, (again, it has to be in June and we'd prefer to drive), those locations are a bit too far for a road trip, especially with MIL most likely in the car with us, and the average June temps are 10-15+ degrees higher than Boston.
    ~M.~

11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come

Post Thanks / Like

Also please excuse my typos. I've been on my phone and since its last update, my autocorrect has been really weird. I see now that I missed a few "corrections" it made that were totally off.
    ~M.~

11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come

Post Thanks / Like

We spent 3 days in Boston and didn't see everything....Also Salem is just 45 mins away. We were in Salem for 2 days. Since they are so close you can just stay in Boston and drive to Salem. We switched hotels but you don't have to. It's such a cool city. Stay at the Omni in Boston. It's a great hotel....formerly the Parker House.....here's a little history for you....This is where Boston Crème Pie was first served and John Wilkes Booth stayed there a few days before killing Lincoln. The Omni overlooks the Boston Commons so you are at the start of the Freedom Trail. The beds are heavenly!

I love Niagara Falls...I don't know when your MIL went but....We were there 14 years ago and had a great time, then we went back 4 years ago and there were so many changes...so much more to do, especially for families.

We have stayed at Embassy's in Salt Lake City, Niagara Falls, Phillly, and in Mass (for a wedding). We have enjoyed each one. So nice to have a separate bedroom when you have kids, a living room, and Mini "kitchen" is great too! Free buffet breakfast & snack at night are an added plus.

Did you do Hubba Bubba Highway at Water Country USA.....we loved that.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

Gaitlenburg TN is very nice. Lots of water parks, beautiful scenery and FOOD!! I love the national park and history. Beautiful hiking, waterfalls, and driving trails. Also, St. Louis and Chicago have a lot of great museums and are both family- friendly cities. Our favorite trips were exploring Chicago.

I agree everyone should go to DC at least once. Good trip for older kids. I have enjoyed exploring Philly/NYC since moving to the east coast.

And a drive out west is always an adventure. We have not made this trip with our daughters and I regret it. New Mexico and Colorado were fun trips for us when we lived in Texas.
    We'll Go On....Off To Neverland

Wishes!

It's A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow....Where Dreams Really Do Come True

Never Forget It was All Started By A Mouse....TTFN

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PirateLover View Post
    What was your Maine trip like? Where did you go?
    We love, love, love Maine! We lived in New Hampshire years ago and used to go up the Maine coast on weekends, so our trip last summer to Maine was a homecoming of sorts. We stayed for a week on the St. George Peninsula in mid-coast Maine in a wonderful rental vacation cottage:

Riverwatch, Maine

The views from Riverwatch were amazing; I can't tell you how many mornings and evenings we sat out in those Adirondack chairs watching sunrises and sunsets! With the cottage came some unexpected surprises, like kayaks to take out on the water, and raspberry bushes with loads of berries on them. It made a good home base for day trips up to Acadia National Park and Bar Harbor, Maine (very charming little town) and down the coast to Boothbay, as well as nearby Camden, Rockland, Belfast--all lovely coastal Maine towns. Lots of rentals on the Maine coast, but you have to do some homework to make sure that it will have everything you need as far as bedrooms, bathrooms, amenities, etc. We found that mid-coast Maine rentals were more reasonably priced than some further south along the coast.

We combined our Maine trip with some time in Boston too. That is a fun city--so much to do. Sights to see would include the Freedom Trail, Faneuil Hall, Boston Commons and the Public Gardens, the USS Constitution, the North End (best Italian food in New England, IMO) and the Aquarium. Of course, if you are into baseball you have to go to Fenway and the Duck Tours are a lot of fun.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

I just thought of a place that might be perfect for your trip. I have never stayed there, but hear wonderful things about it. And the pictures are just stunning!

Look up Mohonk Mountain Resort in NY......This place is on my bucket list!

The rate seems high at first but it includes breakfast, lunch, dinner, afternoon tea, and most activities.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MNNHFLTX View Post
    We love, love, love Maine!
    Us too!

I have been to most of the places that have been mentioned. So many beautiful places in the US and Canada. I wanted to add that both Cape Cod and Martha's Vineyard are both are really wonderful places to visit and perfect for a summer vacation in the North East.
    "Im a storyteller. Of all the things I've ever done, I'd like to be remembered as a storyteller." Walt Disney

The mighty Roman Empire bridged 3 continents with a vast system of roads. The fastest information highways the world had ever known.
    East, West, North and South, all roads led to Rome

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: