Quantcast Wheelchair question

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Wheelchair question

I've never had to rent a wheelchair at the parks, but this year we're heading down with my parents who are close to 80 y\o and will have a hard time with all the walking. Is there one place online I can go to find out all the needed information - such as: how to rent, what rides\attractions they can stay in their chairs or is it better to park and stand in line, ...
    I also read something about being able to use a wheelchair at no charge while at our resort. Does anyone know anything about this?

Thanks for any help you can give me!
    Next up - January '14 - WL

March '13 - POR; May '12 - AKL; Oct. '12 - GF; Feb '11 - SSR; Oct '10 - BC; Feb '09 - Poly; Feb '08 - WL; Feb '06 - POR; April '04 - ASM; Nov '02 - POR; Jan '00 - CSR; Feb '98 - POR; Oct '96 - CBR; Sept '94 - BC

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

You can use a wheelchair at your hotel at no charge. There are wheelchairs at each park available for a fee. If you go to the Disney site, they have a page devoted to disabilities. They also have special guides at each park. Go to the guests with special needs posts right here. They have great tips. Good luck
    Your attention please, the Walt Disney World Railroad is now boarding for a trip around the Magic Kingdom

Post Thanks / Like

We've done a couple of trips with wheels - both wheelchairs and ECV's.

I would highly recommend renting from an off-site company. That way, you can have the chair whenever it is needed, not just at the parks. You may be able to borrow one from the resort, but we've had horrible luck with that, and the borrowed chairs tend to be in pretty lousy condition, so I wouldn't count on it.

You can take the wheelchair into every line (a few still have an alternative entrance), and some allow the chair right onto the ride. If they are mobile and feel comfortable getting on and off the ride, you can leave the wheelchair, and it will be waiting for you at the exit.

The official Disney information, including the approved off-site rental companies, can be found at this link.

Of all the rides, my Mom hated the boats for it's a small world and the boat ride in Mexico. She found them VERY hard to get in and out of, and when she stayed in the wheelchair, she felt like she was going to fall out the whole time. Even rides that don't slow down (only two ... Peter Pan and the PeopleMover) were easier for her than the two boats.
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

There is zero guarantee that a wheelchair could be available at the resort...and they do NOT want you to take into the Parks...resort only.

We rent a very nice small wheelchair for my Dad from Apria, they delivered and picked up from the resort...but it's been a while ago now.
    Pirate Granny

October 2020 — 3 nights OKW, 3 nights Poly Lakeview and 1 night BWV studios
    November 2020 — BRV studio 9 nights
    December 2020 entire family GV OKW
    December 2020 January 2021 BCV studio

OH YEAH BABY !!! Proud owners at OKW + BCV + BRV + RR

Post Thanks / Like

We were first time wheelchair renters on our last trip and here are some observations.

If a wheelchair is a necessity at your resort be aware that they are limited and in my opinion not as good as the chairs you can rent in the parks.

If you can go for the electric scooter version. Do it.

Wear appropriate shoes if you are the person pushing the chair. I found that my brand of sneaker I was wearing was somewhat smooth and when it rained I had a hard time pushing the chair up hill.

There are standard chairs and larger sized chairs. If you are pushing someone larger, the bigger chair makes a big difference.

If you pay your rentals in advance you will get a "ticket book". Return any unused tickets for a full refund.

Expect navigating crowds to be a little challenging. It is common for people to step in front of the chair and stop, or for children to get in your path. It happens. I was getting upset at this sort of thing, but then thought that it was possible I had done the same thing without knowing it. How many times am I walking with my head in a map or looking thru a camera lens?

Try not to hang things on the handles. It is very easy for bags to get caught in the wheels damaging your items. I know this from experience as I turned a resin christmas ornament into a 3D puzzle in record time.

Lastly - do what I didn't do - take your time. Several times I tried to walk at super speed to get somewhere or around crowds. It was not worth it. Just go with the flow and enjoy the themeing around you. Take breaks and drink plenty of water in the heat.

Enjoy your trip!
    If it is such a small world then why do my feet hurt so much!!
    1972-1984 Off Property
    1991 Disney Inn / Poly
    1994 Dixie Landings / Poly / Port Orleans
    1996 Dixie Landings
    1996 Institute / GF / Contemp
    2001 AS-Movies / Poly
    2002 GF
    10/2004 WL
    8/2006 WL
    9/2007 Riverside
    9/2014 CSR

Post Thanks / Like

Have always used an off site for my Mom. She is also in her 80's a big disney fan. Apple will deliver to the resort and pick up again. It was about $60 for the week. It has been a couple of years, never had any trouble with them. They also rent scooters. i ordered through their website.

Post Thanks / Like

To clarify, for the resort wheelchairs, is it just for a day? If I needed a wheelchair for a few days, do I have to check it out every morning? We aren't going to the parks, but like for going out to eat at other resorts and DD?

If my foot is alot better, I may not need one. But right now, there's no way I can get around WDW. i'm thinking I may need to rent.
    1980-2001 CR;CBR 2001 AKL 2002 AKL 2003 AKL 2004 AKL; CB; AKL 2007 WL 2008 AKL 9/09 AKL Jambo 12/10 AKL Kidani 9/11 AKL Kidani 9/12 AKL 12/12 AKL 5/13 AKL 12/13 SS 9/14 BLT 12/14 SS 2/15 Aulani DVC 7/15 CBR 10/15 Yacht Club 12/16 DS 7/17 Aulani 01/19 POR 08/19 Yacht Club

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lawgirl View Post
    To clarify, for the resort wheelchairs, is it just for a day? If I needed a wheelchair for a few days, do I have to check it out every morning? We aren't going to the parks, but like for going out to eat at other resorts and DD?

If my foot is alot better, I may not need one. But right now, there's no way I can get around WDW. i'm thinking I may need to rent.
    I don't think the resort wheel chairs can leave the resort grounds.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

You are not supposed to remove resort wheelchairs from a particular resort. Sometimes they will let it slide, but some won't. For piece of mind, I would rent a wheelchair from an outside company.
    Christine ºoº

Intercot Staff-Accommodations, Dining, Guests with Special Needs

Please support Intercot's Sponsors

Post Thanks / Like

The most important reason for renting one is you just cannot count on being able to get a free one from the resort. Not long ago I heard a Cast Member saying to a Guest "Yeah, we used to have one but I've not seen it around in a while."
    KAY

DVC MEMBER - OKW & HHI
    First trip to WDW - Dec, 2005
    Last visit to Disneyland - 2014

First trip to Disneyland - 1955

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: